Old characters have been completely forgotten.

We continue to get new character after new character after new character, but there are tons of older toons that we all leveled and geared because they were effective in the past, but now have been rendered completely obsolete by the endless stream of updates.

I don’t know about everyone else, but I’ve been dying for reworks on some favorite characters like Anakin, Palpatine, Grievous, Lando, Mace Windu, the majority of Jedi. It’s looking increasingly likely that these characters will never get attention.

Replies

• Viserys
    461 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    I don't know that they never will, but they certainly seem to have stopped significant work on useful reworks. Maybe this is a result of ramped up feature work, but I would like to see some older, obsolete characters get tuned up.

Perhaps they assumed that making these characters 'useful' via platoons would make up for their obsolete nature, but I don't think they should abandon the reworks.

They're going to keep releasing new characters no matter what you think, that's just a constant of the game. New toons are how they drive the spenders to spend -- they're the heart of the monetization schema. New toons drive need for new gear, which drives energy spending, refreshes, and general engagement in all the game's features. It's not worth complaining about, it won't change.

But we should make it clear that we *still* want mechanical reworks on crappy old characters.

Bad characters are a pox on the game's newer players as well - as a player just getting into the game has no frame of reference to know that Mace Windu isn't that good, or that Lobot is an awful character and general waste of major resources. It's in CG's interest to make sure that awful farms don't push newer players out of the game.
  • Totally agree. The main characters of the story/movies, especially the dark side characters like Vader, Palpatine and Grevious are totally lacking. How is it good marketing to have the main characters be rubbish and basically unusable in any part of the game. New players must surely be put off by this fact. Surely people would be much more excited to have an arena meta that included the main light and darkside characters. I know I would.

The latest new characters are just filler and totally unexciting.

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Moved to correct sub forum.

They did a pretty good job on the "old" toons when CLS came around.

Jedi have never received a faction rework so maybe we will see some love when that happens.

I would agree with you that they don't have arena viability but some still find use in raids and ships. Also every toon has value in TB and soon TW. It's not much but it's something.
  • AA86
    102 posts Member
    I farmed terrible charachters in the beginning... it's part of the process otherwise we would all be number #1 in arena ;)
  • Viserys wrote: »
    I don't know that they never will, but they certainly seem to have stopped significant work on useful reworks. Maybe this is a result of ramped up feature work, but I would like to see some older, obsolete characters get tuned up.

Perhaps they assumed that making these characters 'useful' via platoons would make up for their obsolete nature, but I don't think they should abandon the reworks.

They're going to keep releasing new characters no matter what you think, that's just a constant of the game. New toons are how they drive the spenders to spend -- they're the heart of the monetization schema. New toons drive need for new gear, which drives energy spending, refreshes, and general engagement in all the game's features. It's not worth complaining about, it won't change.

But we should make it clear that we *still* want mechanical reworks on **** old characters.

Bad characters are a pox on the game's newer players as well - as a player just getting into the game has no frame of reference to know that Mace Windu isn't that good, or that Lobot is an awful character and general waste of major resources. It's in CG's interest to make sure that awful farms don't push newer players out of the game.
    I totally understand that and don’t expect them to stop releasing new characters, but every time they release a new character it is undoubtedly marginally or significantly better than most of the older toons.

• Also, i imagine its frustrating for new players to come on here and ask how to fix their arena team that uses a G10 Mace Windu.
  • Um, Nightsisters? So they're not reworking older toons?
  • FinleyJon wrote: »
    Totally agree. The main characters of the story/movies, especially the dark side characters like Vader, Palpatine and Grevious are totally lacking. How is it good marketing to have the main characters be rubbish and basically unusable in any part of the game. New players must surely be put off by this fact. Surely people would be much more excited to have an arena meta that included the main light and darkside characters. I know I would.

I know it seems like the game should work this way, but...
    If Vader and Palpatine were the unstoppable forces that they are supposed to be, why would you care about Iden Versio if they released her next week? You already have your team built. Versio can't beat Vader or Palp, so, she's useless. Why bother? In fact, since your Vader and Palp are maxed out, why farm anything else? You've beaten the game. Why keep playing?
    The new characters HAVE to be more OP than existing ones at least for a short period of time or the game falls apart. I totally agree with reworking them down the road so that characters like Vader can maintain some viability. I even agree with a major rework that would temporarily put them atop the meta once in a while. However, a meta full of toons that EVERYBODY has maxed would be kinda boring and annoying.
  • NS just got a rework and old rebels got some love with CLS. Ewoks got love and somewhere before that. Resistance didn't need it, but BB8 gave it some more life. Empire got a 'little' love with the Trooper thing. A built up Z2d2 was basically a shot of adrenaline for like 4 factions. Sith was back before that. I agree I'd like more toons to at least have a chance of being usable in the arena, but, eh, it's a process that will never stop.
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • NS just got a rework and old rebels got some love with CLS. Ewoks got love and somewhere before that. Resistance didn't need it, but BB8 gave it some more life. Empire got a 'little' love with the Trooper thing. A built up Z2d2 was basically a shot of adrenaline for like 4 factions. Sith was back before that. I agree I'd like more toons to at least have a chance of being usable in the arena, but, eh, it's a process that will never stop.

I think I care less about Arena than the fact that some toons are mostly unuseable in any context. Toons don't *have* to be amazing for Arena to be useful somewhere in the game, or some sort of synergistic team composition. There are even toons with "specialties" that are inferior to the mainline, even in their domain of specialty (Eeth Koth, Ugnaught, Lobot, etc)
  • Kyno wrote: »
    Moved to correct sub forum.

They did a pretty good job on the "old" toons when CLS came around.

Jedi have never received a faction rework so maybe we will see some love when that happens.

I would agree with you that they don't have arena viability but some still find use in raids and ships. Also every toon has value in TB and soon TW. It's not much but it's something.

All have value in TB??? You mean in platoons!?! Sorry but this is not value and simply put in the game to make you raise their star level.
  • Territory Wars, if done correctly, will make many old teams relevant again. Dust off your droids and Jawas.
  • We continue to get new character after new character after new character, but there are tons of older toons that we all leveled and geared because they were effective in the past, but now have been rendered completely obsolete by the endless stream of updates.

I don’t know about everyone else, but I’ve been dying for reworks on some favorite characters like Anakin, Palpatine, Grievous, Lando, Mace Windu, the majority of Jedi. It’s looking increasingly likely that these characters will never get attention.

Anakin and Mace got reworked a while back. Not exactly relevant anymore, but they did receive reworks.
  • They power LEAPED to such an extent with CLS it’s clear they will keep introducing new OP characters and old toons will just end up being a waste of time and $$$ and energy. Disuades investment big time. Why spend if it will just be made irrelevant in the next faction pass? I can think of a ton of stuff to spend $$$ on instead of a G12 KRUM for example. Like things tangible in real life. Car tires for example. The model is... $$$ to keep up or be left behind by far!
  • They power LEAPED to such an extent with CLS it’s clear they will keep introducing new OP characters and old toons will just end up being a waste of time and $$$ and energy. Disuades investment big time. Why spend if it will just be made irrelevant in the next faction pass? I can think of a ton of stuff to spend $$$ on instead of a G12 KRUM for example. Like things tangible in real life. Car tires for example. The model is... $$$ to keep up or be left behind by far!

giphy.gif
  • Hannibal_Bexus
    620 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    giphy.gif
    Post edited by Hannibal_Bexus on
  • Territory Wars, if done correctly, will make many old teams relevant again. Dust off your droids and Jawas.
    Second this. cause if you have a geared up but useless team, say droids for example. The enemy will have to not battle them at all. Or use their one usage characters to kill them, so in theory with guild wars (I call it what it is) any geared up characters can be used, such as droids or your heist scoundrels, Phoenix, old meta toons, etc
  • I disagree. I think they’ve done a tremendous job with their faction passes. I’m using 3 old characters (Acolyte, Ventress, Daka) in arena right now that I had ignored for a year and a half before their rework. The devs did a good job making them relevant again. The CLS event character example was already used. The Ewok and Imperial Trooper reworks weren’t exactly meta worthy, but they certainly turned them into noteworthy factions.
  • Should I just change my avatar to captain obvious?
    giphy.gif

Totally agree. The main characters of the story/movies, especially the dark side characters like Vader, Palpatine and Grevious are totally lacking. How is it good marketing to have the main characters be rubbish and basically unusable in any part of the game. New players must surely be put off by this fact. Surely people would be much more excited to have an arena meta that included the main light and darkside characters. I know I would.

If Vader and Palpatine were the unstoppable forces that they are supposed to be, why would you care about Iden Versio if they released her next week? You already have your team built. Versio can't beat Vader or Palp, so, she's useless. Why bother? In fact, since your Vader and Palp are maxed out, why farm anything else? You've beaten the game. Why keep playing?
    The new characters HAVE to be more OP than existing ones at least for a short period of time or the game falls apart. I totally agree with reworking them down the road so that characters like Vader can maintain some viability. I even agree with a major rework that would temporarily put them atop the meta once in a while. However, a meta full of toons that EVERYBODY has maxed would be kinda boring and annoying.
    i don’t think he meant they need to be the best characters in the game, but if a new player comes on here and says “My favorite character is Palpatine, i can’t wait to play him” and then he’s utterly useless, it’s a little disappointing.

territory battles are painfully boring

i don’t think he meant they need to be the best characters in the game, but if a new player comes on here and says “My favorite character is Palpatine, i can’t wait to play him” and then he’s utterly useless, it’s a little disappointing.

giphy.gif
    I wouldn't say useless, but, I get what your saying.