A slice is a piece of bread

TERRITORY
an area of land under the jurisdiction of a ruler or state.

Synonyms
  • area
  • area of land
  • region
  • enclave
  • country
  • state
  • land
  • colony
  • dominion
  • protectorate
  • fief
  • dependency
  • possession
  • jurisdiction
  • holding
  • section
  • turf

REGION
an area or division, especially part of a country or the world having definable characteristics but not always fixed boundaries.

Synonyms
  • district
  • province
  • territory
  • division
  • area
  • section
  • sector
  • zone
  • belt
  • part
  • quarter

Replies

• Where do you see the terminology “slice” in regards to the Territory battles?
    "I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar." ~ Hoban Washburne
  • Fauztin
    1332 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Ah. Thank you. I agree - slice is a weird choice of phrase. I would personally use the word “column,” if not the standard “Phase” they’ve used in the past.

A slice can also be a piece of pie or cake. Or lunch meat. Or cheese.
    "I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar." ~ Hoban Washburne
  • “Vertical slice” is project management lingo.
  • Right. Who slices land?

I don't think that is what it's meant by that
  • Looool this is overly nitpicky no doubt, but technically correct, and as a word geek myself the level of word geekery here made me quite literally laugh out loud I love this post! "A slice is a piece of bread" lol
  • A slice is also a type of soda.

Anyway, if you look at the territory board as a whole, it resembles a loaf of bread cut into six slices. Use some imagination.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • The board is cut into slices both vertically and horizontally.

Phases are a segment in time not a physical section of the board. One single phase can take place in 3 territories each of which occupies a different vertical slice of the map.

They are saying that as long as you 1* all territories platoons and missions will never have the same requirements.

However if you don't that state may occur in 2 or more territories in the same phase.

Hence why they used this terminology which perfectly clarifies the message they are conveying.
  • "perfectly"
    Or not.

Clearly we apply the term differently
  • Woodroward wrote: »
    The board is cut into slices both vertically and horizontally.

Yet nobody refers to horizontal slices.
  • NicWester wrote: »
    A slice is also a type of soda.

Anyway, if you look at the territory board as a whole, it resembles a loaf of bread cut into six slices. Use some imagination.

It's not a question of imagination. I have loads of imagination. "Vertical slice" is the least imaginative descriptor I can imagine.
  • "perfectly"
    Or not.

Clearly we apply the term differently

It's by definition, not how the term is used. They are referring only to territories directly above or below one another. There is no other term that could possible convey that exact information as clearly or succinctly.

Woodroward wrote: »
    The board is cut into slices both vertically and horizontally.

Yet nobody refers to horizontal slices.

Because there's no need to, yet it was necessary to say vertical because that is the only possible relevant adjective they could have used to convey their message.
    NicWester wrote: »
    A slice is also a type of soda.

It's not a question of imagination. I have loads of imagination. "Vertical slice" is the least imaginative descriptor I can imagine.

Which is why it's perfect. They could have used their imagination to event a term, but I'm glad they stuck with words that already exist and used something as clear and concise as vertical slice to describe it.

Seriously people complaining about this terminology really don't have a leg to stand on...
  • "Perfect"
    Lol
    Enjoy your Vertical Smiles
  • "Perfect"
    Lol

If you want to laugh about it, come up with some terminology that actually conveys the message they were trying to, because not ONE of the terms you listed would actually tell us anything about what they were trying to.

Come up with a more descriptive and succinct phrase than "vertical slice" that has the same meaning... go ahead, I'm waiting.

I'll consider you to have conceded if you can not.
  • It’s like people are fronting that they’d rather CG had named them something original but completely obscure like Gramblins or whatever. But then everyone would front like Gramblin is a dumb name and slice would be better.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Why you fellas are so upset with me about this is a mystery. Your need to "win" your argument about vertical smiles is indeed laughable. There are a multitude of better terms. Sector or Region would do fine, but I am partial to fief.

Call it what you will, I don't care. I'll just have a slice (of pizza) and leave you to it.

This forum gets more toxic by the day.
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Why you fellas are so upset with me about this is a mystery. Your need to "win" your argument about vertical smiles is indeed laughable. There are a multitude of better terms. Sector or Region would do fine, but I am partial to fief.

Call it what you will, I don't care. I'll just have a slice (of pizza) and leave you to it.

This forum gets more toxic by the day.

Who wants to win?

Sector or region would explain that they are directly above and below each other how?

It's not about winning. It's about pointing out that the complaints about the terminology are completely illogical.

Vertical means up and down. Slice means they have the same lines. Sector or region would be horrible terms to use because they wouldn't convey the locations as they relate to each other... only the phrase vertical slice will do that.

So they aren't commonly used in geographical terminology. Who cares? That's not a relevant point, as the information trying to be conveyed requires properly descriptive terminology rather than conventional.
  • As for getting toxic.. I'd say complaining about terminology for no reason other than I don't like it would be toxic... Luckily I have done no such thing.

Now ALLAYING complaints about things that have no logical basis... that's as far from toxic as you can get.
    "Perfect"
    Lol

If you want to laugh about it, come up with some terminology that actually conveys the message they were trying to, because not ONE of the terms you listed would actually tell us anything about what they were trying to.

Come up with a more descriptive and succinct phrase than "vertical slice" that has the same meaning... go ahead, I'm waiting.

Section, segment, column, phase. Slice doesn't suit well tbh.
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    "Perfect"
    Lol

Section denotes nothing about them being on top of each other, same with segment and phase so those would be horrible alternatives. Slice is better than all 3 of them.

Column would be good.

"Perfect"
    Lol

Section denotes nothing about them being on top of each other, same with segment and phase so those would be horrible alternatives. Slice is better than all 3 of them.

Column would be good.

Everything is better than a slice, this word implies something that has been cut off. In old french it meant divide/blow apart.
    Being on top is no issue since we already have some words for that (vertical/horizontal - french words, again...) ;)
  • TVF
    36577 posts Member
    I can't believe this is a thread.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    "Perfect"
    Lol

Column would be good.

Everything is better than a slice, this word implies something that has been cut off. In old french it meant divide/blow apart.
    Being on top is no issue since we already have some words for that (vertical/horizontal - french words, again...) ;)

Slice is by far better than those others because it is ONE cut... as in they share the same lines. Without it vertical doesn't help since you can and will have territories that are above and below each other without them being DIRECTLY above and/or below each other.

This is an implication that is present with the word slice (or column) but NOT present with the others you listed, hence it is still a more aptly descriptive word than those others.
  • I think this post is probably the best and worst thing I have ever read in the forums.

• I guess people can't be faulted for their cognitive dissonance.

People have a natural predisposition to react negatively to things that are outside what they are used to.

Knee **** reactions are what they are. The fact that the word slice isn't one that some people have commonly heard in conjunction with geographical discussions would certainly lead some to cognitive dissonance.

When it comes down to it though, the listener's familiarity with a term as it is being used isn't actually a factor in whether or not using it there is a poor choice in terminology. What matters is how well it conveys the details to the listener.

Vertical slice was chosen specifically to make people picture the map cut up into strips. It was purposeful and excellently descriptive. Please understand that objections to it are coming from cognitive dissonance rather than a logical standpoint.
  • @Kyno please close this thread so @Woodroward can stop talking to himself and disparaging those who disagree with his self-important opinion.
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    I do not disparage sir. I merely explain.

If your complaint is that it's not what you're used to, it's not logical, it's cognitive dissonance.

There's nothing disparaging about these words that are completely factual (look up the definition of cognitive dissonance and you will see this), nor are they an opinion.
This discussion has been closed.