Question about how to handle raid rules. Poll:

Prev1
If you have a guild with members who can basically solo a raid, what rules does your guild have? What is fair for the guild? (This is for Heroic Rancor)

A. 24 hours zero damage, after that its ffa

B. 24 hours zero damage, after that there's a damage cap (if so, what is the cap?).

C. You put a damage cap only (if so, what is the cap?).

D. Other?

(The zero dmg rule is so that everyone has time to post a zero and get rewards)

Replies

• Options
    Most guilds do 24 hour zero damage. when rancor opens for danage, those that solo do not post a a score untill the rest that dont solo, finish it amoung themselves.
  • Options
    A
  • Options
    We have xx hr rule, damage cap, and 2 separate teams. Works well for us
  • Options
    What doew xx hr rule mean? And what do you mean by two separate teams? Thanks
  • Options
    A. Simplicity is the key. The solo runs usually take more time than the combined efforts of the rest of the guild, so you are not taking away anything. I just start my auto-solo, which takes about 25 minutes and read a story to my kids. Raid is done after 15 minutes.
    Banthas want to eat me, but I eat back!
  • Options
    I recommend a fixed starting time, not just 24 hours. Clear and simply.
    Banthas want to eat me, but I eat back!
  • aranud
    5 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Our officers starts the raid on Day 1 around 10:00 PM.
    We have a 0 damage rule until Day2 at 9:00 PM (for everybody to check in)

People who solo the raid (~20 out of 50) are not allowed to post before 9:15 PM.
    This allow the weaker guild members to play & finish the Rancor. They usually do that in less than 15 min though.
  • Options
    A.

Or,

A, with one person Solo the raid after everyone else clocks in at 0. Randomized ranking placement for reward. Rotate every raid who solo’s for top reward.
    "I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar." ~ Hoban Washburne
  • Options
    A
    It’s worked for every guild I have been in.
    You just need to figure out which time works best for most of your guild. Majority rules!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone :)
  • Options
    24 hour 0 damage for my guild. And every single time at least 1 person does hundreds of thousands of damage. It’s usually a new member with a disabled chat.Then I boot them because they didn’t/don’t care/can’t read any of my posts that I place everywhere about this rule. Harsh yes but necessary.
  • Options
    I do 12 hour zero damage. then 12 hour 250k cap. then ffa
  • Options
    A

And I might add: I've never been a fan of capping damage. Think about your strongest guild members, they'll have worked hard (or spent well) to build their teams, and won't appreciate that work being strangled via a cap.
    There is an argument for helping less strong members of the guild and raising the bar for them but my belief is that this is done by sharing sound advice on mods, team setup, strategy etc. - raising those players up rather than holding back your big hitters.
  • Options
    Ariella wrote: »
    A

And I might add: I've never been a fan of capping damage. Think about your strongest guild members, they'll have worked hard (or spent well) to build their teams, and won't appreciate that work being strangled via a cap.
    There is an argument for helping less strong members of the guild and raising the bar for them but my belief is that this is done by sharing sound advice on mods, team setup, strategy etc. - raising those players up rather than holding back your big hitters.

Agree with this 100%. We don't have damage caps or anything like that on our raids either. Many have worked hard for their teams, and it isn't fair for those who have worked to benefit the team to then be told they have to sit out.
  • Options
    Hi,

we have a more managed form of a rancor raid.

First 24h is a zero dmg policy (we tolerate up to 10k).
    The second 24h (starting at 9pm / ending at 10pm) is moderated. Everybody can do as much dmg as they please, but with a twist.

Phase 1 can be closed the earliest at 9:15pm, Phase 2 at 9:30pm, Phase 3 at 9:45pm and finaly P4 closes officialy at 10pm - sometimes we tend to let it openended, but that happens very rarely.

Guildmembers who wanna solo the whole raid (pointwise) can do so, but can't log their score until 10pm. Everyone who tries but fails to solo and stucks in on of the phases have to wait until the timeframe allows him to log his score.

Its more handholding, but it works. P1 & P2 often closes earlier, but not because some member is greedy, it's because the mass amount of mini-dmg that sums up. That didn't change the timeframe for P3 or P4. We had 26 recorded rancor raids with these rules and only one that got finished before 10pm.

Of course sometimes someone is new or did the raid afk and logs the dmg to early. Those members get a warning. 2+1 Warnings earn you a kick, also we track all data on our website and have a mini-game there, where we award points for participating on raids, ranking 1-5 and deducted these scores with warning-penalties.

Nothing meaningfull, but its funny ... keeping High Score lists beside the game keeps them in check, everybody loves Highscores. :)

/salute
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options
    A is simple (easy to understand and implement) and works well. If your guild has a mix of few people with 7* Han, while the rest are still farming him, you could put a damage cap of 1 or 2 million for those, who already finished him, to let the rest of the guild take top—10 rewards with more shards. If that's not the case, I don't see a reason for using damage cap.
  • Options
    Just a question with damage caps how do you figure out during combat what the phase % translates to in actual damage?

Like if you take off 30% of the health in a phase what does that translate to in damage numbers for payout rankings?

(I know a bit of a necro but it seemed better to ask in a thread all about different raid rules, including damage caps, than to clutter the forum with a thread asking a single question).
  • Options
    Tank has a 0 damage 24 hours, but to break up ties on the rancor we call a faction out and you pick one person and you can do a single attack in the first 24 hours. Some people had to be banned cls thrawn rhan kylo
  • Ztyle
    1970 posts Member
    Options
    Here's the rules from our main guild
    Rancor Heroic
    Launches Monday, Wednesday, Friday @ 11:30 EST
    24hour 0 Damage Check in Period!
    When the time is 11:30 EST next day, you get one attack for entire raid
    If going a whole phase, wait to post until 12:00 EST "30 minutes after attacking begins"
    If soloing raid, wait to post until 12:30 EST "1 hour after attacking begins"
    !!this is so everyone gets a chance to hit the raid that wants to!!
    Repeated ignoring of this will result in salting!!
    If top twenty in previous raid, you must mark a damage of 0 in the next raid "exception- if you were in top20 even though you only posted a 0, then you are exempt"
    Repeated ignoring of this rule will result in salting!!
    I'm Danish , Leader of the Space Slug Alliance , living the SlugLife , My collection
  • Options
    B and then 500k.
  • Options
    Ztyle wrote: »
    Here's the rules from our main guild
    Rancor Heroic
    Launches Monday, Wednesday, Friday @ 11:30 EST
    24hour 0 Damage Check in Period!
    When the time is 11:30 EST next day, you get one attack for entire raid
    If going a whole phase, wait to post until 12:00 EST "30 minutes after attacking begins"
    If soloing raid, wait to post until 12:30 EST "1 hour after attacking begins"
    !!this is so everyone gets a chance to hit the raid that wants to!!
    Repeated ignoring of this will result in salting!!
    If top twenty in previous raid, you must mark a damage of 0 in the next raid "exception- if you were in top20 even though you only posted a 0, then you are exempt"
    Repeated ignoring of this rule will result in salting!!

I’m sure everyone in your guild gets headaches every raid. Keep it simple. It’s a game.
  • Options
    We used to have a damage cap, was 400, then 450k, then 500k. Got too hard to do as we got stronger.

We now split the guild into 2 teams. One team does a complete 0k. The other during the 0k period, may use one character - not cls - to ffa attack. Then at their appropriate start time, they may use one full team and ffa attack, high damage teams or solos wait til 30min to post dmg.

Been working for a long time and the raid times are fairly opposite to try to accommodate and hit all of your guildies
  • Options
    I’m sure everyone in your guild gets headaches every raid. Keep it simple. It’s a game.

I find it quite nice and in no way headache-implying. :)

Sure, for the random-guildy-dude this sounds like overacting, but i'm in the guild busines for over a year now and if you don't show some kind of order, the (good) people will leave. At first they moan "omg, all these rules, why? let me play!" ... until they get nearly no reward -ever-, because the big guys "do play".

There has to be balance and fun for everyone, it's no fun alyways end up at the bottom. Even if the reward is mostly random and crap, people DO care about seeing progress for themself.
  • Options
    Just a question with damage caps how do you figure out during combat what the phase % translates to in actual damage?

Like if you take off 30% of the health in a phase what does that translate to in damage numbers for payout rankings?

(I know a bit of a necro but it seemed better to ask in a thread all about different raid rules, including damage caps, than to clutter the forum with a thread asking a single question).

Thats what I was wondering, but we have some members suggesting a dmg cap, bcuz of our heavy hitters doing so much dmg the raid is over too soon, and I'm not one of our heavy hitters btw, but still how do you calculate dmg during battle? Lol
  • Options
    By percent, and a little trial and error.. the hp of phase 1 is around 1.8mil .. After a couple rancors you find the sweet spot if your cap was 500k, then you know you can do a safe 25% and tho 1.8m isn't an exact amount, you can figure out how much percent will get you the closest without going over. And if you do, you have to restart or face a penalty haha that's why that's no fun
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm not liking the dmg cap either. I think its decidedly a bad idea.
  • ChaosDragoon
    41 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    We use a 50k max for 1st 24 hours and it's a pain. People are constantly over hitting and many don't care and just do what they want on it. Our leader has a 3 strike rule, where after 3 infractions you're out and we keep kicking people and its kittening us off cause we loose players for the other parts of the game.

Problem is many don't seem to care nor respond to our messages in game so we don't have much choice but kick them out.

Personally, i would prefer a 0 dmg rule in my guild. We are about 20% who do it and i'm trying to educate people into doing it but most are stubborn about it.
    Post edited by Ambassador on
  • Options
    A for our guild but we dont boot someone with low level characters for doing damage under the 24
  • Options
    The rules may need to be adjusted to fit the guild. I'm in a guild with a high number of smaller members and a small number of bigger members.

We do a 1 million damage cap for first 24 hours and the bigger members take turns soloing it after that. But the smaller guys can't hit the damage cap or come close to it so the damage cap only really applies to the big members.

If there was more big guys we would need a different cap but this works fine for us.
  • Options
    We use a 50k max for 1st 24 hours and it's a pain. People are constantly over hitting and many don't care and just do what they want on it. Our leader has a 3 strike rule, where after 3 infractions you're out and we keep kicking people and its **** us off cause we loose players for the other parts of the game.

Kick em before the reward is handed out. Re-Invite them and ask why. If the excuse themself, fine go on, if not, get rid of them. It will only get harder to establish rules (and you will & have to) when you let that fly.

Good luck.