Colonel Starck’s AI really hinders his usefulness

Prev1
First of all I would like to thank the devs for bringing up this great kit for Colonel Starck, it is perfect for a pure Trooper squad. From that perspective I really appreciate this addition and hope it remains this was.

However, the AI of Starck prefers to use his AoE ability Blizzard Four Barrage over Scan All Wavelengths which would be a great support ability, especially if used out of the gate. The AI making that choice limits the Trooper’s arena viability on defense to a large extent, instead of them being a competitive matchup they become a unit that is handled with ease :(
If it would be possible to make this little change to the AI I, and probably most users of Imperial Troopers as well, would be really happy, thanks for the consideration

Replies

• Bump. +1. Starck would make the Troopers arena viable on defense if he used Scan All Wavelengths first. Devs - please make this minor adjustment to his AI. Thank you!
  • +100,000
  • @CG_Kozispoon @CG_RyDiggs @CG_Carrie @CG_TopHat

Anyone of you able to please get this word to the people that need to know this? I hate that I have to bench the team that I love playing if I want to stay competitive in arena when that little change could make Troopers viable
  • Kozispoon
    3245 posts EA Staff (retired)
    Hiya,
    I've maneuvered this thread in front of the designer behind Starck and in their illustrious words:
    Designer wrote:
    oh yeah, I like that.

While there are quite a few things in the queue to address first, this change will be added for consideration. Thanks!
    Thank you for your patience 8D Forum Guidelines
  • Hiya,
    I've maneuvered this thread in front of the designer behind Starck and in their illustrious words:
    Designer wrote:
    oh yeah, I like that.

While there are quite a few things in the queue to address first, this change will be added for consideration. Thanks!

Thanks for the quick reply Kozi!

I’m fine with you addressing other things first, just glad to know this is considered as well now.
  • KeKattia wrote: »
    First of all I would like to thank the devs for bringing up this great kit for Colonel Starck, it is perfect for a pure Trooper squad. From that perspective I really appreciate this addition and hope it remains this was.

However, the AI of Starck prefers to use his AoE ability Blizzard Four Barrage over Scan All Wavelengths which would be a great support ability, especially if used out of the gate. The AI making that choice limits the Trooper’s arena viability on defense to a large extent, instead of them being a competitive matchup they become a unit that is handled with ease :(
    If it would be possible to make this little change to the AI I, and probably most users of Imperial Troopers as well, would be really happy, thanks for the consideration

I agree with you one this one. A similiar thing happens with Kylo Ren masked on AI. Instead of the AI using outrage the AI uses slash out which is a medicore aoe attack. While outrage does massive damge and when kylo's zeta he steals alot of health.
  • Yusef wrote: »
    KeKattia wrote: »

I agree with you one this one. A similiar thing happens with Kylo Ren masked on AI. Instead of the AI using outrage the AI uses slash out which is a medicore aoe attack. While outrage does massive damge and when kylo's zeta he steals alot of health.

Oh god. Please dont change this. FO Squads rely on him to gain the initial salvo that kills 1 or 2 characters before they move.
  • Yusef wrote: »
    KeKattia wrote: »

This is not really the same because the way the AI works in Kylo’s case is to the benefit of an FO squad which he is built for, Starck’s AI on the other hand shoots himself in the leg instead of working to the benefit of Imperial Troopers
  • agree with the op.
  • Cool, that would be huge
  • +1

Han Solo uses his buff move before his damage special, I don't see why starck wouldn't have been afforded the same attack order.
  • First off great job on Colonel Starck and I currently use Starck in arena and he is amazing for empire teams if his AI were to use his scan all wavelengths on his first move you’d have another meta team in your rankings and if that’s what the devs are looking for to make more different teams in top ten or 20 then this needs to happen
  • @CG_Kozispoon
    A bigger, MUCH bigger problem, is starcks zeta.
    I have been using him in place of Tarkin in a non-IT based thrawn team. He’s great in support, but his zeta straight up almost never works.
    I have stacked over 80% potency on him and taken him against vastly inferior opponents in GW, and I see enemies resisting the TMR removal nearly 90% of the time. This is not an acceptable rate for a zeta, when almost the entire point of the zeta is this TMR removal. Many, many characters now have zetas that provide turnmeter removal that cannot be prevented, some even as teamwide leader abilities, starck either should have his addressed accordingly, or have the cost reduced to an omega.
    But my sneaking suspicion is that it’s simply not working right, since it’s not a % based effect, it should only be passing a potency check against tenacity, and the application rate is catastrophically low.
  • Nikarah wrote: »
    @CG_Kozispoon
    A bigger, MUCH bigger problem, is starcks zeta.
    I have been using him in place of Tarkin in a non-IT based thrawn team. He’s great in support, but his zeta straight up almost never works.
    I have stacked over 80% potency on him and taken him against vastly inferior opponents in GW, and I see enemies resisting the TMR removal nearly 90% of the time. This is not an acceptable rate for a zeta, when almost the entire point of the zeta is this TMR removal. Many, many characters now have zetas that provide turnmeter removal that cannot be prevented, some even as teamwide leader abilities, starck either should have his addressed accordingly, or have the cost reduced to an omega.
    But my sneaking suspicion is that it’s simply not working right, since it’s not a % based effect, it should only be passing a potency check against tenacity, and the application rate is catastrophically low.

Actually I have a theory/explanation for this. Starck's TM removal is hard to notice since it happens at the end of his turn and is relatively small, meaning that unless another character has a turn immediately, you won't see their meters actually be reduced. As for the frequent apparent resisting of the removal, I'm fairly certain that Starck's ability removes it in chunks, not all at once. So you get 2% removal for each Imperial Trooper, and 1% for each Empire. I run a team with 4 IT and 1 E characters, so 9% removal. Except I'm pretty sure that I've seen characters get the resist to pop up, and still lose TM. Assuming that's the case, that would mean each percentage removal is separate. So not 9% flat, 2% then 2% then 2% then 2% then 1%. That would mean that if any of those 5 attempts were resisted, it would indicate that, but the enemy might still lose some TM. All that considered, i would still prefer it be unresistable :p
  • Bumpity bump bump

+1 for irresitible Starck TMR and AI change
  • Bumpity bump bump

+1 for irresitible Starck TMR and AI change

+1
  • Bumpity bump

+1
    Mega_Man wrote: »
    Bump. +1. Starck would make the Troopers arena viable on defense if he used Scan All Wavelengths first. Devs - please make this minor adjustment to his AI. Thank you!

• +1

Please!
    Give Starck a helping hand, Scan >>>> AoE in all cases. So great Toon for my IT, but seeing AI sucking all the time is such a bad feeling ...

Please help him
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    just started using Starck a bit when i noticed this, bit late to the party but +1 !
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • still missing
  • Maybe if his AOE was uncounterable he would be useful or something... but no that would make him too powerful... all I want is good Empire toons...
  • @CG_Kozispoon sorry to bother you again but do you have any news on this? Been over a month already
  • Valariel
    161 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    I agree on both counts: the AI change and that they should make his turn meter removal unresistable if they are going to make it a zeta upgrade.
  • /push

We Empire Players still hope to get the quick AI change - Buffs 1st, AoE 2nd -Thanks!
  • Absolutely agree. Still don't think they'd be arena viable, but would make a solid TW defense team with this 1 small change.
  • Agreed on both counts. Buffs first and irresistible TM removal
  • This needs to be done yesterday :neutral: the character has its value absolutely handcuffed by one simple engagement mechanic, and it's not something they haven't fixed before..
  • Well now that Holdo is/will soon be in the game with her AOE daze, they could make the fix to Starck AI move order since it won't really matter anymore.