How to (IMO) make Territory battles fun again

scuba
14034 posts Member
edited November 2017
So beyond all the bugs, bugs can be fixed.
one of the things that make TB not fun is platoons.
I have spent on the game for both LS and DS characters however the recent platoons in DSTB and this giving a look into what platoons will be like in TW when they come along, again outside of the bugs, platoons are taking some of the fun away from TB and will also take away from TW when platoons get introduced.

Why spend resources (free or paid for) on a character I don't need nor want for my arena team just to ride a platoon bench? Yeah the character is being used but you don't get to play with them.

I don't want to and am not pushing for any "don't spend" type of thing but I personally like to play with the characters I spend money on, filling a platoon slot is not getting to play with the character.

My suggestion is to allow the use of characters/ships donated to platoons/squadrons. Limit the use to the territory they were added in though.
IMO this would go a long way to removing some of the frustration associated with platoon requirements and bring some fun back to TB.

The very few time I have gotten to use wedge and biggs in LS TB has been fun. It is fun going in and blowing things up with them. It is boring and stale to see platoons yet again require x number of character/ship X so i again don't get to use them

TLDR;

allow players to use the characters they donated to platoons in those territories

Replies

• There no platoons in TW
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Zwanni_420 wrote: »
    There no platoons in TW

Yet. They are most likely coming and which is why I stated:
    what platoons will be like in TW when they come along

read here
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/142978/territory-wars-overview
    Anticipate regular changes to keep gameplay varied and exciting! These could include unique unit bonuses and Platoon Missions.
  • I agree with OP. I want to play the characters I’ve developed. I get no satisfaction from using Mob Enforcer for some reason.
  • I support this idea. It'd certainly make me more inclined to gear some of my useless 7* characters.
  • Anything lasts a week long can’t be fun especially you have to do it or risk being kicked. TW is better for people who don’t have time, you can just deploy and earn even more banners than those who fight.
  • +1
  • How they equate platoon missions with varied and exciting, and even gameplay, for that matter, is dumbfounding.
  • +1 upvote
  • Instead of platoons, why not use the number of stars in the particular node to act as a section of platoon. So...1 star will count as one section of the platoon. Clear 3 stars and it counts as a full 3/3 platoon.
  • Or make each platoon only need 10 toons. With no repeats in the same platoon (could of course have them in different platoons within the phase and section).
    "Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen...mostly"
  • Whindanser wrote: »
    Instead of platoons, why not use the number of stars in the particular node to act as a section of platoon. So...1 star will count as one section of the platoon. Clear 3 stars and it counts as a full 3/3 platoon.

Because it's unbalanced. Strong guilds would get three stars, thus making later phases even easier. Weak guilds would fail to get three stars, thus making later phases more difficult. The reason platoons are set up as they are because it involves strategy. Put toons into platoons to make future phases easier, but risk not having strong enough toons to max out TP earnings in combat missions. And vice versa.

Though I agree that platoons aren't all that fun. I'd like to see them eliminated, plus give rewards for every combat mission (in addition to TP), not just special missions.
  • @Whindanser but then you can't get the bonuses until after you beat the mission, and would never get to use 3rd bonus
  • + 1 good idea Scuba
  • @Creepioo In the first round there are no bonuses...why not just have those stars affect the next wave and roll from there. Currently we have platoons that affect the actual platoon you are fighting in. Remove that mechanic and simply have the first wave (which has no bonuses currently anyway) affect the second, the second affects the third, and so on.
  • You lost me by using the word "again" in the title, as if the content has ever been fun.
    I've seen it as nothing but a chore, and inconvenience to my day. The LS TB missions were a complete bore-fest. Having said that I'm yet to complete ROLO so I at least have the AT-ST battle to look forward too, which I expect will be a lot more fun than the rest.
    But the ship content wasn't challenging or interesting. The battles had a degree of strategy required (aka: reading the buffs on the Snowtroopers and Stormtroopers and acting accordingly) but to face a bunch of generic characters didn't do much for me in terms of engagement factor. Modding up all of my LS characters was a chore.
    The rewards made the investment of my time worthwhile, and I could at least take some satisfaction from the progress we made.
    But the content has done more to break apart guilds than anything I've seen released in any game I've ever played.
    And for Dark Side, well, in some ways I'm glad it's more challenging and we at least get to face something interesting in the form of a Wampa but crikey the battles could have been soooo much more fun and engaging than what was released.
    Platoons - I get the point of them but don't enjoy having to hang around for our 49 other members spanning a range of time zones to have to log in and help contribute before we can play, it's just lots of sitting around and waiting for things to happen, during which time we get an untold number of notifications either in Discord or now in game emails with instructions on what to do next. Seriously, nothing is fun about this content. I'd have preferred a brand new raid that had a mode tuned to G12 characters.

That all being said, I persist at trying to achieve maximum potential in both DS and LS TB's so that I can prosper from the rewards. The saving grace of TB rewards is that they're (for the most part) less susceptible to being junk than the HAAT rewards are. So at least after the TB draws to a close, assuming my brain hasn't been reduced to mush from participating in such mind numbingly boring content, I can experience the satisfaction of a nice prize.
  • Ariella wrote: »
    You lost me by using the word "again" in the title, as if the content has ever been fun.
    I've seen it as nothing but a chore, and inconvenience to my day. The LS TB missions were a complete bore-fest. Having said that I'm yet to complete ROLO so I at least have the AT-ST battle to look forward too, which I expect will be a lot more fun than the rest.
    But the ship content wasn't challenging or interesting. The battles had a degree of strategy required (aka: reading the buffs on the Snowtroopers and Stormtroopers and acting accordingly) but to face a bunch of generic characters didn't do much for me in terms of engagement factor. Modding up all of my LS characters was a chore.
    The rewards made the investment of my time worthwhile, and I could at least take some satisfaction from the progress we made.
    But the content has done more to break apart guilds than anything I've seen released in any game I've ever played.
    And for Dark Side, well, in some ways I'm glad it's more challenging and we at least get to face something interesting in the form of a Wampa but crikey the battles could have been soooo much more fun and engaging than what was released.
    Platoons - I get the point of them but don't enjoy having to hang around for our 49 other members spanning a range of time zones to have to log in and help contribute before we can play, it's just lots of sitting around and waiting for things to happen, during which time we get an untold number of notifications either in Discord or now in game emails with instructions on what to do next. Seriously, nothing is fun about this content. I'd have preferred a brand new raid that had a mode tuned to G12 characters.

That all being said, I persist at trying to achieve maximum potential in both DS and LS TB's so that I can prosper from the rewards. The saving grace of TB rewards is that they're (for the most part) less susceptible to being junk than the HAAT rewards are. So at least after the TB draws to a close, assuming my brain hasn't been reduced to mush from participating in such mind numbingly boring content, I can experience the satisfaction of a nice prize.

+1 make it end quickly like in 3days, smaller scale, put famous characters as enemy instead of just generic characters with ridiculous kits
  • +1. Agree completely with the original post.
  • I agree with most of what has been said. I find the Territory Battles extremely boring and they feel like a chore. The lack of creativity within the battles is really disappointing. Wave after wave of the same opponents with very few exceptions is just tedious. I find the raids to be much for satisfying. It is too bad they can't release a Tier 8 rancor that doesn't allow TM reduction or a new third type of raid (I think a combo Endor/Death Star raid that incorporates ships would be great - and it would have been a nice way to introduce all the Ewoks and a few new Empire characters, such as Scout Troopers).
  • So to qualify some of my earlier disappointment about the TB’s, if I focus just on the LS version to begin with…

Fleet/Ship Battles

Let’s look at fleet battles to kick off.
    We know how fleet combat currently works for PVP, but did events really need to completely emulate the experience or could they have pushed the boat out a bit?
    What happened on Hoth again… oh yes, an iconic Star Wars scene with Snowspeeders and AT-AT’s.
    Could that have been worked in to SWGOH? I say, sure it could have!
    We could have unlocked Snowspeeder event units by (as an example) fulfilling platoon requirements. These Snowspeeders could have been used to attack a static AT-AT enemy (or 3) which have attackable turrets, shields, armour and body. The Snowspeeders could have had special attacks involving cables. Much could have been done to emulate that battle.
    And the reverse (Dark Side version) could have been event unit AT AT’s shooting those same Snowspeeders out of the sky.

We could have had fleets battling Capital ships and the Death Star and all manner of exciting new things but what did we get? A few TIE fighters and TIE Adv and a mis-match of ships from different era’s. Not very engaging, to me at least.

And if you’re thinking “how would that work” in terms of facing off against a Capital ship, you wouldn’t fight the ship per se, but you’d fight its turrets. The ship would essentially be a giant backdrop with targetable components such as weapons turrets, shield generators, armour etc…
    A flip side version might be to take out a Corellian Corvette and tractor beam it in… was there with no-one with the ambition or imagination to think of or implement such ideas?

Character Battles

And on to the ground wars.
    From the light side perspective – I liked that we were able to unlock Hoth Leia and Han, it made sense that we’d be able to do this and it be related to the TB. But we could have had some iconic battles e.g. a unique mission with CLS vs the Wampa, buffed to the eyeballs.
    Why have the scenery just random snow and even more random Snowtroopers and Stormtroopers… let’s get some characters in there, let’s have Veers, Piett, Ozzel… let’s have the battle with Vader actually set inside the Rebel base, not just outside in the snow.

There’s a precendent of players facing an AT-ST, and it’s great that there’s one such mission in the TB but seriously just one? Why not have ground forces face off against both AT-ST and AT-AT. The success of the mission doesn’t necessarily need to be pinned to defeating the unit, all sorts could be done to determine this (think about some of the Ewok Forest Moon event rounds, where you sufficiently disable the AT-ST to progress to the next phase…)

Let’s have a mission where you need to evacuate the Rebel base – this could be something where you’re faced with an overwhelming Empire force and need to survive a given number of rounds to beat the mission (rather than actually defeat the enemy forces). A bit of outside-the-box thinking there? The flip side would be you have a timed mission to kill all the Rebel forces or fail.
    I just feel so much more could have been done with the combat to make it at least immersive in some way.
    I can get over the fact that a ton of modding is required. Having been fortunate enough to collect a substantial amount of mediocre mods, I can at least afford to keep those mods equipped indefinitely now I’ve set up my teams. But jeez, some proper mod swapping tools would have gone a long, long way for this event.
    I don’t mind the concept behind the Platoons and I get that the team needed to put something in there behind a paywall.

But overall this format which requires all guild members (who for a large chuck of guilds will be spread out across a huge time frame) to login and do their Platoon fillings before the group can progress with missions just seems ill thought out.

Platoons

I think it would have been far better if the very first day of the TB was just called Platoon day, and everyone in the guild was given 24 hours to throw as many troops as possible into a bunch of Platoons which would be associated with different phases of the event. There’d be fewer Platoon characters required, naturally… it might look something like this:
    You have 2 Platoons (Middle and Lower) and 1 Squadron (Top) to fill for each Phase of the event, a total of 12 Platoons and 4 Squadrons (although it’s beyond me why we don’t have ships involved in every phase). There might be more characters in that 2 Platoons… so you might require a combined 35 Chirruts for example. You could even say if it’s a character required for a Unique mission, e.g. a Chirrut, you are able to re-use it later on (but only those Uniques), or just keep them out of the Platoons.
    We spend a day setting Platoons, the content goes live for 12 or 24 hours per phase, but if you finish a phase early (e.g. 3 star it), you are able to progress to the next phase.

I could really get behind something like that.
    As it goes I can’t really see wholesale changes being made… we are where we are and in time it’ll be just another task we do on a daily basis to finish these TB’s. But what an opportunity missed and I stand by the statement that they’re boring and aren’t engaging.