The Chimera Capital Ship has RUINED the Fleet Arena!!!

I’m a long time player who has absolutely loved the Fleet Arena ever since it’s inception, but now I find my enjoyment for playing it is all but gone. What was so amazing about Fleet that separated itself from Squad Arena was how all three original capital ships had their own strengths and weaknesses, worked best with specific ships, and operate in a way that caters to the user’s preferred style.

NOW Thrawn’s Chimera is created and it has completely messed up the balance! Basically anyone who was fortunate enough to get that ship on its first release has switched to it and it has made even weaker players SIGNIFICANTLY better! It’s easily made Akbar and Mace totally irrelevant and even Tarkin seems to be out the door as a shift towards everyone using the Chimera is well underway!

It’s literally the ultimate Captial Ship. There’s almost no point in going against it if you don’t have it. It’s ultimate power even kills your ships when they have Mace’s Dammage Immunity ffs!!! How is that even possible??? What’s the point of DAMAGE IMMUNITY and timing it perfectly if your ships can still die in one shot?!?

Fleet used to be a fun rock, paper, scissors style match that greatly relied on strategy and intellect. Now by picking the Chimera, it’s like bringing a gun to a knife fight. Maybe once in a while you lose, but the VAST majority of the time your gonna win that fight and it’s not even fair.

One desperate plea to the developers... PLEASE tone down the Chimera or at least rework the other ships so they can compete again! That ship is so OP it’s either broken or the whole **** Fleet Arena is broken now. Either way, something needs to get fixed to make it fair and fun again! #MFFA #MakeFleetFunAgain

Replies

• Options
    Well then I'm doomed. Relying solely on Tarkin only rebel ship i have are biggs and cassian, my phoenix squad is next to nothing, no thrawn
  • Options
    Not really. Before the chimaera everyone at the top used tarkin, so it's not like it was that diverse to start with.
  • Options
    Chimaera take out one ship. Just destroy the rest faster...
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • Options
    OP you have to take into consideration the whale's mentality. Most likely, anyone that has 7* chimaera now had spent a decent amount of $$$ to have. And if you spend that money, you want to use it. Also the top of arena is where you will find mostly whales. I've seen whales actually quit the game over toons like FAT because they spent a lot of money and they were found to be underwhelming, a perfectly reasonable response. And lastly, there are counters to 7* chimaera, you just need to figure it out. I still use Tarkin's ship and finish in top 10 everyday (got to the party late and missed getting in the top spot rotation), and regularly have to beat 7* chimaera's to get there. Keep trying, you'll figure it out...
  • Options
    does tarkin stand any chance against thrawn ship? if power rating and stars/gears are similar?
    30%win rario?
  • Options
    Perhaps enough players on my shard have not maxed it yet. A few ran it for a while and switched back to tarkin. I have a 6* chimera and am still gettjng the capital ability mats for it so I have no experience running it.

That being said I have not lost to it on defense with AA. Even the few with Reaper in the lineup. It’s too slow. So what if my capital ship has its TM reduced. I use AA. I never even get his special off. I win before that. Battles I lose only happen when none of my initial target locks stick.

I’ve manually battled all 5 battles since the beginning. I pounded the table about ships in my guild. They all run various comps and those that followed my advice to just learn your fleet, win. There are no mods so no ones fleet is better than anyone else’s if you gear your pilots. Even with crystals involved, fleet is still the easiest part of the game and I run what is arguably the worst capital ship and I still use vader/TFP/FOTP/biggs/shimitar/boba/surface. No reaper/falcon/Boston/cassian ship here. I’m on a January 17 shard not that that matters I know my fleet well enough to win reguardless of shard age.

Chimeras kit is definitely well designed and reworked Tarkin make both DS Capital ships way better than LS. I like that. I’m a DS man myself. Only ran AA because I used him to get EP and it made sense(and still does) to run ships whose pilots you have developed.
  • Options
    I haven't lost since i 4*d tie reaper, power rating means very little, I'm just below 380k and beat teams with 440k
  • FrankCastle2017
    26 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Tarkin works just fine. 350k fleet (6* Executrix) going up against, and beating 480k 7* Chimera.
    No scimitar, reaper, or bistan U-Wing either
  • Options
    Blame power creep and p2w politics. No wonder this kind of game only frustrates people in the end, they don't care about the fun factor.
  • Options
    I am in a dec Fleetarena running Executix(382k)

We have all 4 Capitalships in the top 10. 3 different Capitalships reach every day rang 1.

What is your setup @Pinkz ?
  • Options
    I am in a dec Fleetarena running Executix(382k)

We have all 4 Capitalships in the top 10. 3 different Capitalships reach every day rang 1.

What is your setup @Pinkz ?

same here..all 4 are represented in the top 10 and all take 1. Chimaera is a little bit of a pain, but nothing like Tarkin IMO.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Moved to correct sub forum.
  • Options
    I've been taking 1st pretty much every day for something like 10-11 months.

I don't run chimaera. I don't run TIE Advanced. I don't run Biggs, I don't run any multipilot ships. I run republic ships with Boba and GeoSol besides.

Just because a whole bunch of people jump on a bandwagon doesn't mean that that's the best comp.

I've lost a total of 2 matches in the last 3-4 months with my team (not counting game crashes).

Following what people call the META isn't necessarily the META. I watch guys who've spent money to bring their fleets up to 400k vs my 350k lose to teams I beat regularly.

It's not about what they have, it's about how you deal with it. I've got a default strategy where I more or less make Clone Sergeant an uber tank that is impossible to kill or get past, but occasionally I may focus on burning a ship down first instead.

For instance this one comp in my shard has TIE Advanced, Fives, and Scimitar in their starting fleet. Before I knew what was happening the first time, I was unable to taunt because I could only target Fives who'd counterattack and wipe the taunt. I still won, but that was a pain in the butt, so now I target scimitar first and the fleet is easy.

So I'm basically saying: It's not about the command ship, it's about the other ships and how you react to them.
  • TVF
    36600 posts Member
    Options
    How are you making Clone Sgt your tank? I assume alternating taunts between Mace and Plo? How does it hold on defense?
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    TVF wrote: »
    How are you making Clone Sgt your tank? I assume alternating taunts between Mace and Plo? How does it hold on defense?

Well up until a couple of weeks ago, I'd never fall out of the top 10. Now I log in and find myself 11-13th.

Usually just Plo is enough to keep CS taunting since I speed him up with rex every turn though occasionally I do have to drop Mace's taunt, usually it's about protection though.
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    Options
    I only have 2 complaints about chimera, and one of those is a more general complaint about irresistable debuffs:
    • The TM bar for Chimera is completely off the screen for me most of the time. Occasionally the left side of it bobs into view so I can maybe see 25% of it, but that's somewhat rare. (10" Google Pixel C) Battles against Chimera can be somewhat surprising as a result.
    • The "give allies buffs, debuff all enemies" has that same lazy irresistible tag on the debuffs. I hate these. I really wish that attack was "buff all allies and debuff all enemies with +50 potency" Endurance's expose can be resisted, and its AoE dodged (even by TL ships), so this always struck me as cheap power creep (prior to that the creep was Executrix's utlimate that became undodgeable).

But like Woodroward, I also run Endurance, though not with the full-republic squad that he is using. I can usually get sub-20 in a field of Star Destroyers, time permitting around payout. The main issue is that I get targeted a lot, and tend to fall into the 40s.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • Options
    My fleet is certainly nowhere near as effective on D as on O, but the same can be said of every fleet. Speaking to the few shard mates I have been able to contact (they make it to the top ranks), they tell me that my fleet isn't hard to beat, but it is really time consuming moreso than practically every other fleet in my shard.

One fleet recently changed it up (TIE Advanced, Scimitar, Fives, TFP, Phantom II or Ghost I forget which, the other is the first backup) and apparently takes the same amount of time as mine to beat now.
  • Options
    On my shard, our top 10 consists of mostly Endurance and Home 1 cap ship teams. The highest Chimera team currently sits at 23 after a brief run at sneaking into the top 10. His fleet was very simple to beat once you figure it out, which most of us did.

I'm currently at number 2 on my shard with mostly Pub ships and a 7 star Endurance and i normally finish top 5 without sniping on my part ( i can finish 1st sometimes with last minute sniping ) I've got a few Reb ships mixed in to fill out my slots.

Fleet arena is still all about a chess match and how you use your lineup. If you are having problems, change your strategy or get different pieces for your lineup.
  • Options
    There’s only one best capital ship, your shard doesn’t matter, there’s always going to be one best capital ship and ships to get with it.
  • TVF
    36600 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I've only seen one Chim so far in my shard, and beat it like the others - blow up biggest threat (Scimitar, MilFalc, etc. or Biggs if no other) then proceed from there.

So with that said, how does strategy change against Chim?

I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options
    You lost me at "absolutely loved ship arena..."
  • SCPD
    73 posts Member
    Options
    Well this depends on arenas, everyone prefer to use what most players use. My arena doesn't t many Chimaeras, it's like only one third. And I sometimes getting my butt kicked by Endurance, even Home One occasionally. The capital ships don't make that much difference. If you lose a fleet fight, it's totally just having a bad luck.
  • Options
    I disagree with the OP. I have the Chimaera and it's fun to use, but I am equally adept with Tarkin's ship, and frankly if I had to make do with Ackbar I'd be fine with that.

Territory Wars are good indicator of this. I put my Chimaera on defence each time and used the other Capital ships to attack. And I attacked Chimaeras. And I beat them.

Fleet PVP is more about the star ships and how you manipulate turn meter (e.g. using Bistan or Reaper) or target-locks (with a variety of pilots). All Capital ships have their strengths and synergies with different Pilots but there's no unbeatable line up.
  • SCPD
    73 posts Member
    Options
    It's the strategy for different capital ships that matters
  • Options
    SCPD wrote: »

For example, when you face a Tarkin lead with TFP, you want to avoid attacking TFP with anyone than Vader's ship cause the dodges give TM to Tarkin that will speed up his auto win special
  • FrankCastle2017
    26 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    ScottyLee wrote: »
    SCPD wrote: »

For example, when you face a Tarkin lead with TFP, you want to avoid attacking TFP with anyone than Vader's ship cause the dodges give TM to Tarkin that will speed up his auto win special

Thrawn gains same Tm as Tarkin does whenever tfp evades, as that are both Empire capital ships. Bistan, Poe, and Vader are hard counters to him (TFP)
  • Options
    Pinkz is just bitter that he/she can't snipe the top players of the shard anymore. Pinkz also made a reply about and I quote "Pretty comical how every time there's a toon who's a good arena character, somebody wants to nerf them because they couldn't beat them....." You can't have it both ways Pinkz.... I'm sorry that you're one of those mediocre players that you're complaining about. :(
  • Options
    I'm top five daily and often first. That's running akbar against more powerful thrawn fleets. It is doable.
  • Options
    So, ignoring all the people here with easy as cake fleet shards.
    You're right. I understand where you're coming from. Tarkin was the dominant ship before Chimera, but it was still probably 50% Tarkin, 50% Ackbar/Mace. Then Chimera came along, and now it's a rarity to even see 1 non-Chimera team in my top 50.
    The reason it's so powerful is because EA needed a reason for players to spend $$$ on ships.
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).