Here's a tip: Focus on GW, NOT arena

Prev1
Angrybaldman
369 posts Member
edited February 2016
Ok all, here's some unsolicited advice from a guy who spends way too much time and money playing this game. If you're F2P or a low spender, you'll get more bang for your buck by focusing your time and resources on Galactic War, versus the arena. Here's why:

1.) Credit Payouts: Clearing a GW nets you ~450K for a full clear, which can be repeated daily. This is more than sufficient funds to level and star 5-6 core toons. Even if you can only hit node 6-7 each time you'll still clear over a million credits per week. Arena nets you very little credits, which doesn't help you level anything.

2.) Better Currency Payout: 1200 GW currency for a full clear (with no ranking system at all) versus a max of 1000 currency for finishing 1st in squad arena. This allows you to purchase 15 character shards/day versus no more than 10 (occasionally 15) if you finish 1st in arena. Only one person can finish 1st in arena meaning the vast majority of you aren't doing that.

3) Better Versatility between game modes: A strong GW squad is more than capable of cracking the top 100-200 (depending on how strong your server is) in arena. The difference between finishing 11th and 200th in arena is literally only 75 currency. NOT WORTH IT

So baldman....how should I go about doing this?? Well, there are a million GW guides on here, so there's a plethora of information you can obtain via the search function. BUT....focus on getting 2 solid healers, 2 solid dps with decent synergy, and a tank.

Most new players focus exclusively on their arena teams. The meta for GW is survivability, not damage/speed.
Post edited by Angrybaldman on

Replies

• I clear it often with:

7* Sid
    7* Lumi
    7* HK
    7* JC
    7* Kylo

occasionally have QGJ 5* in there to burn down a dooku

I have a decent B team that can take out a toon or two.

I'm constantly in the top 100, around the 50-80 range, which is fine by me
  • Angrybaldman
    369 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    I clear it often with:

7* Sid
    7* Lumi
    7* HK
    7* JC
    7* Kylo

I'm constantly in the top 100, around the 50-80 range, which is fine by me

Exactly my point. You have a VERY solid team that isn't top tier in arena, but still nets you a sub-100 ranking and a solid clear rate for GW. Will done good sir ;)

• Well, a big chunk of my arena team is usefull for GW (I can clear it 90% of the time). I just swap out one damage character for Barriss lead. Bariss + Lumi + cannons solves most things with some RNG resets. JC probably works in place of Barriss, I just have Barriss leveled and geared and JC isnt.

I think a lot of it boils down to running at least 2 healers, and accepting that sometimes the game glitches out and gives you a wall of enemy 7/70 dps teams that isn't clearable in most cases.
  • Yep, there isn't much difference between rewards at 60 and rewards at 1 in arena. And btw, Qui Gon is a great toon to have. I've one shot a kylo in GW with his assist. Good for burning down an annoying toon
  • medetec wrote: »
    Well, a big chunk of my arena team is usefull for GW (I can clear it 90% of the time). I just swap out one damage character for Barriss lead. Bariss + Lumi + cannons solves most things with some RNG resets. JC probably works in place of Barriss, I just have Barriss leveled and geared and JC isnt.

I think a lot of it boils down to running at least 2 healers, and accepting that sometimes the game glitches out and gives you a wall of enemy 7/70 dps teams that isn't clearable in most cases.

Yep, same with me. I keep my Poe+86+GS, but swap in Bariss Lead + JC. I'll put in my full arena team if I face a strong lvl 70 opponent.
  • Um no. Arena is the place where you can get the most amount of crystals, allowing you more daily refreshes. I'm ranked 6-20 power 26k+ and consistently face maxed groups in gw. You just need patience and retreat several times with some changes in your lineup to make sure rng goes your way.
  • Abyss
    1651 posts Member
    Hs to be a troll post, no way is dedicating yourself to one aspect of the game a good idea. You need to be divers an place as well as possible in arena. Thats where the bull of extra crystals come from which speeds up farming which makes you stronger overall which makes GW alot easier
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    OP is absolutely right. And he didn't even mention that you get ability mats as well!

Focusing on GW is smart. Arena is nice for crystals, true, but credits and ability mats becomes a MAJOR issue later on in the game and GW is the best way to sort that problem.
  • Arena gives you money and crystals, granted not a ton of money but some. Also with #1 and the daily quest, you can get 1100 arena coins per day, so almost as much as GW. Crystals are pretty valuable too, you get 500 for #1.
  • Abyss wrote: »
    Hs to be a troll post, no way is dedicating yourself to one aspect of the game a good idea. You need to be divers an place as well as possible in arena. Thats where the bull of extra crystals come from which speeds up farming which makes you stronger overall which makes GW alot easier

But focusing too much on arena makes GW more difficult because the power of your enemies is based on your arena Squad power...
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Most of all, building a perfect Arena team interferes with your ability to build a deep, decent roster. You can gear up three characters to a decent level with the same amount of energy you need to make one character perfect.

Ok I just pulled that number out of my hat. But that's my guesstimate and I'm sticking with it.
  • Tagichatn wrote: »
    Arena gives you money and crystals, granted not a ton of money but some. Also with #1 and the daily quest, you can get 1100 arena coins per day, so almost as much as GW. Crystals are pretty valuable too, you get 500 for #1.
    Ok all, here's some unsolicited advice from a guy who spends way too much time and money playing this game. AGAIN....only one person can finish 1st in arena. The vast majority of you aren't doing that.

In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • I often place 1st in arena with HK, 88, 86, Poggle, and Poe. And I easily clear GW with Luminara, JC (sometimes swapped for Poggle), 88, 86, and Poe.

7 F2P characters... no more, no less.
    Yes you do. I just realized I am on your server - but usually floating around 40-75. lol
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Arena is nice when you haven't hit cap yet. 500 vs 200 means at least three refreshes. However if you have to spend money to get there it's not really worth it. Just spend money on 100$ worth of crystals and it will cover you for a whole month of refreshes and that's not even counting the 150 odd crystal you get per day just by playing
  • Angrybaldman
    369 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Um no. Arena is the place where you can get the most amount of crystals, allowing you more daily refreshes. I'm ranked 6-20 power 26k+ and consistently face maxed groups in gw. You just need patience and retreat several times with some changes in your lineup to make sure rng goes your way.
    Abyss wrote: »

Let's look at the numbers, shall we?

Player 1 is able to clear GW daily, and maintain top 100 arena ranking.

-GW nets you ~3.1 mil credits (450,000x7) and 8400 currency (1200x7) for 1 week of full completions, which is equal to 105 character shards

-Arena Ranking of 100 nets you 140,000 credits, 5075 currency, 700 crystals, 60 character shards for 1 week of activity

-Let's say player 1 spends the 100 daily crystals on 2 energy refreshes for gearing

TOTAL: 3.24 mil credits, 13475 currency, 700 crystals, ~165 character shards per week

Player 2 maintains a top 20 arena team and averages a node 7 finish on GW

-GW nets you ~1 mil credits and 4200 currency for 1 week of activity, which is equal to 50 character shards

-Arena Ranking of 20 nets you 210,000 credits, 5425 currency, 1400 crystals, and ~65 character shards per week

-Lets say Player 2 spends the 200 daily crystals for 2 energy refreshes for gearing and 1 cantina refresh. Assuming you hit 30% on your cantina drops, this amounts to an extra 3-5 shards per day, which ~30 shards per week.

TOTAL: 1.21 mil creidts, 9625 currency, 1400 Crystals, ~145 character shards per week.

*Both players spend the same amount of crystals on farming mats, so that aspect cancels itself out.
    **Player 1 will also receive character shards from Cantina missions, but for simplicity I just showed the amount of additional cantina mission shards Player 2 will receive with the extra refresh.
  • Abyss
    1651 posts Member
    Johnnyudes wrote: »
    Abyss wrote: »

But focusing too much on arena makes GW more difficult because the power of your enemies is based on your arena Squad power...

Hey i never said not to be balanced haha, i said focusing on GW is downrite foolish. If you re-read, i said "you need to be diverse and place as high in arena as possible".
  • sid
    232 posts Member
    I'm with you. Arena prizes are great for the top 10-20 teams. Otherwise, not so much.
  • Angrybaldman
    369 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    And I didn't even look at the time aspect of arena. Defending a Top 20 rank on a competitive server is a pain during sniping hours :)

I would argue that when it comes to players who are still leveling and starring, credits are just as valuable as crystals. I suppose if you're building a team more reliant on cantina mission characters then arena may be more in your favor.
  • Ztyle
    1970 posts Member
    When I first unlocked GW, I was lucky to finish it, and made me focus on GW, most days I can't play arena from 2 pm till 6:30 pm, so #1 is a no go for me, so at the start I was quite content, with a rank in top 200, but as I got better using my team, I started to be in top 50 every day, and I'm only getting stronger, as my GW team is maxed, I can play with other toons, and they will also make GW more easy to complete. But if you are one of those who have the shot for #1 every day, with out refresh, I can see the appeal for 500 crystals.
    I'm Danish , Leader of the Space Slug Alliance , living the SlugLife , My collection
  • J7000
    2059 posts Member
    Nonemo wrote: »
    Most of all, building a perfect Arena team interferes with your ability to build a deep, decent roster. You can gear up three characters to a decent level with the same amount of energy you need to make one character perfect.

Ok I just pulled that number out of my hat. But that's my guesstimate and I'm sticking with it.

My arena power was 2k less than anyone else in the top five But I made it work and kept bumping up my GW roster. I also agree with the OP. I have quite a few six stars which help me out in a bad spot in GW. Now if they would just release a new toon to GW shipments!
  • Baldo
    2863 posts Member
    This will also help tremendously in the shard shop if you're looking to get grevious!!!! Thank you for this post
  • Why not both?

I'm an FTP with 80% clear rate at GW with a top 20 arena team at level 58 where top whales are at 65 now. All you need for GW is a strong Lumi, GS, and QGJ. JC and Talia can rotate as your 2nd healer and Sid as your fifth. You just need to ensue that QGJ and GS always have their assist to start and one of the 3 healers is cooled down.

This also can be an arena team if we'll geared until you can get a proper 5th member. The key in arena is to finish at least top 50 so you can do the 50/50 energy refresh and the 100 Cantina refresh. The 50/50 is critical for gear and the cantina is critical for doubling the progression rate of GS and QGJ.

• Angrybaldman
    369 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Greg1920 wrote: »
    Why not both?

I'm an FTP with 80% clear rate at GW with a top 20 arena team at level 58 where top whales are at 65 now. All you need for GW is a strong Lumi, GS, and QGJ. JC and Talia can rotate as your 2nd healer and Sid as your fifth. You just need to ensue that QGJ and GS always have their assist to start and one of the 3 healers is cooled down.

This also can be an arena team if we'll geared until you can get a proper 5th member. The key in arena is to finish at least top 50 so you can do the 50/50 energy refresh and the 100 Cantina refresh. The 50/50 is critical for gear and the cantina is critical for doubling the progression rate of GS and QGJ.

I agree. Both would be optimal. But your server is still young. In a mature sever, your squad is not viable for top 20 with the current meta....not enough dps. So enjoy your ranking while it lasts. But that is a great GW team.
  • Thanks Sherlock.
  • JoshG
    908 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    I completely disagree. As a mostly f2p I focus 100% on arena, however I haven't failed to finish a GW since I was in the 40s. The #1 arena rank is 500 crystals per day. That's 2 cantina refreshes and 3 energy refreshes per day for free. Don't get me wrong, both are important but I would rather flame out in the 10th round of GW than slip up and finish #7 in arena....
  • I agree. Both would be optimal. But your server is still young. In a mature sever, your squad is not viable for top 20 with the current meta....not enough dps. So enjoy your ranking while it lasts. But that is a great GW team.

but what your missing is that from the beginning you focus on an Arena line up that keeps you top 50. This keeps you ahead of the curve of the FTP and small gemmers. As you get replacements for your 5th and Sid that fills out the GW bench.

I would say don't waste resources on building anyone who is just good for GW until your arena team is solid. Barriss for example is a waste of resources until you have a 7 star arena team.
  • Why is it no one talks about free shards in gw? I always finish gw and get as character shard at the rnd. Sometimes I get a character shard as a reward before the rnd, so I get two. That's 50 to 100 crystals right there.
  • Chef5
    369 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Im a new player only a couple weeks or so. I am fortunate enough to play arena on a server thats is still low leveled. Im level 54 atm and I can make it in the top 10 in arena, however in Galaxy War its kind of hit or miss, I often get matched up in GW with purple gear teams 12 levels higher than me. So I can not finish GW consistently as I can stay in arena top 10 or top 20.

I believe that developers acknowledged the GW match up issue is a bug but not sure when they will fix it.

But there are also very different reasons why one would prefer Arena over GW, and that would be the PVP aspect of the game, which is what makes the game fun.. the competitive aspect.

not only do I get 250 crystals a day that can go towards refreshes and speed up my leveling. Ideally I would like both, top 10 arena and finish GW, but since most days GW is impossible.. I have to rely on arena for resources. GW isn't very fun when a GW team wipes out your team, in two AOE's the first two turns...
  • JoshG wrote: »
    I completely disagree. As a mostly f2p I focus 100% on arena, however I haven't failed to finish a GW since I was in the 40s. The #1 arena rank is 500 crystals per day. That's 2 cantina refreshes and 3 energy refreshes per day for free. Don't get me wrong, both are important but I would rather flame out in the 10th round of GW than slip up and finish #7 in arena....

Like I said above....not everyone can be #1 on their server. I gues this post is more geared towards the 19,999 other ppl on your server who DON'T make 500 crystals per day off of arena.

Props to you if you're able to hold rank 1 as a "mostly" F2P player. Chances are you have experience in these types of games and/or did a fair bit of research before you started leveling your team. That's great, but most people didn't do that.

As for GW, you're very fortunate if you've been completing it since the your level 40s. If this is in fact true then no offense....but your opposition when you started GW) wasn't high level. I've been fighting at least 2-3 lvl 65+ squads with purple gear since my early 50s and there's no way you're going to down them unless you have amazing depth....which a F2P player wouldn't have.