Can we get a cap ship balance, PLEASE?

Tarkin's ship special was never intended to proc before the LS cap ships' specials, but that's what's happening every single battle - even if I avoid AoE attacks and dodges on the Tie Fighter. Not looking for anything drastic, but just a tweak to speeds or cooldown timers to make the LS cap ships marginally viable again.

Replies

• Options
    As someone who ran Ackbar before Tarkin, I can tell you that the lightside capital ships are fine. I had to change my line-up with Tarkin compared to Ackbar. And Mace is easily the most widely used fleet commander. Tarkin can only go fast with TFP and if you have Vader, just attack TFP and you'll kill him easily.
  • Boonchie
    49 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I have been running Mace, and I never lose to anybody running Tarkin unless I get royally screwed by RNG. Finish top 2 every single day. It's all about knowing how to run a squad that complements your ship.
  • Options
    From what butt did you pull that first sentence from? They never intended it to ult first? Please tell me where a dev stated that malarkey.

If you can't beat Tarkin before he ult, you need a better fleet. That or stop using Ackbar, which I'm going to assume you must be since Mace will get his ult off way before Tarkin well due to his cool down lowering, voiding your comment about LS being slower than Tarkin.

Ackbar is regarded as the worst cap, easy to use and effective its great for newbies. But the others like Mace and Tarkin are far better when played well behind a strong fleet setup.
  • Options
    LS Capital Ships are very viable - Endurance is very good against Exec, with its damage immunity.

You could look at your other ships and maybe add ships that give protection or speed bonuses or slow the enemy capital ship down?
  • Options
    Endurance holds its own quite nicely against both DS ships, but the main issue is that being different (LS ship in a sea of star destroyers) makes you a target. I do have a slight issue with DS ships having irresistable/unavoidable attacks, but in general I don't find they make as much a difference when you're on offense against them.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • Options
    My slowest ship speed is 132, the opposing fleet the fastest is 124 yet, yet Tarkin led ALL bad guys get first turn triggering Tarkins speed boosts by Ties. It seems unfair but it is balanced. Akbar is a horrible Commander but his special is devastating if all 5 of the right ships get to attack twice in a row. Biggs is a horrible tank. Get Rex.
  • Options
    I run mace and enemy tarkin's cannot even get to their ultimate before I win.
    Know your ship synergies - Mace loves target lockers, Ackbar loves Rebels.
  • Loose_Lee
    2733 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    If tarkin is getting his tie fighter assault squadron of death ultimate off b4 your getting ackbar or mace ults... then stop attacking the enemy TF and missing, using aoes,etc... and eliminate the enemy reaper first... better yet put reaper in your primary lineup.

And bistans U-wing/vaders TF are the answer to hitting enemies TF without missing once.
  • Options
    My slowest ship speed is 132, the opposing fleet the fastest is 124 yet, yet Tarkin led ALL bad guys get first turn triggering Tarkins speed boosts by Ties. It seems unfair but it is balanced. Akbar is a horrible Commander but his special is devastating if all 5 of the right ships get to attack twice in a row. Biggs is a horrible tank. Get Rex.

Somehow i don't think this is right. Im very succsessful with my ship arena team i stay around 150 despite most other teams being 10-15k power higher than me using a lineup that has AA and biggs and they aren't crazy high in hear or power you have just got to build around biggs and take advantage of AA's potection up on assists or counters. I use boba's slave 1 cassians u-wing wedge biggs and the scimitar with tie fighter and JC running support. If they don't have a cleaser they can't kill biggs. I know being at 150 isn't amazing but i don't have alot invested in my ship arena team and it works great for what it is. AA can be good you just need to put more thought into your team.
  • Options
    I think it also depends how advanced your ships arena. There's only a couple over 2 mil GP players on mine, so fleets are never maxed out, so Tarkington by far runs the tables. But it seems on rosters that are maxed, mace gives the advantage, but on my shard there's only a few running mace and they are all the easiest to beat
  • Options
    Bad player is bad. More news at 11.
  • Options
    Ton_Phanan wrote: »
    Im very succsessful with my ship arena team i stay around 150
    Totes succsessful.
  • Me2
    123 posts Member
    Options
    Ploosh wrote: »
    I think it also depends how advanced your ships arena. There's only a couple over 2 mil GP players on mine, so fleets are never maxed out, so Tarkington by far runs the tables. But it seems on rosters that are maxed, mace gives the advantage, but on my shard there's only a few running mace and they are all the easiest to beat

With maxed rosters (3mil+ players) thrawn > tarkin > mace > ackbar.
  • Options
    phatphil3 wrote: »
    As someone who ran Ackbar before Tarkin, I can tell you that the lightside capital ships are fine. I had to change my line-up with Tarkin compared to Ackbar. And Mace is easily the most widely used fleet commander. Tarkin can only go fast with TFP and if you have Vader, just attack TFP and you'll kill him easily.

They are not fine tarkins ship is much better and all the DS ships are better
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    moved to correct sub forum.
  • Options
    on my shard the top 50 are all tarkin or thrawn
    theres 1x AA in there and a couple of maces. i run AA and dont have the best fleet for sure
    i pick on maces where i can find them and other AAs otherwise although the top 100 where i usually can finish is mostly tarkins and thrawns too so dont have much choice.
    its just that tarkin can instant win the game if he gets his ultimate off and thrawn has very damaging AOEs aswell that can turn a sure looking win into defeat.
    tarkin is an easy beat for me if it doesnt last long enough to get to ultimate if it does even if im on 4vs1 its game over i lose.

my best TF experience is 14 dodges from 15 attacks, the only reason theres one hit in there is an ackbar defiant volley where TF only dodged 2 out of 3 attacks heh
  • Options
    Totes succsessful.
    Maybe try reading the rest?
  • Options
    Me2 wrote: »

Not that I'm near that point (closing in on 800k ship gp), but I'm sure even that varies from shard to shard. To some extent fleet, just like squad, has "META" teams just because one person figured out a really good team and everyone else aped them. There may be other teams that are just as good, but because all the high rollers are running the same team anyone who does something different stands out.

When chickens find a spot on another chicken, they all take turns pecking at it until it's dead. If one fish is more brightly colored than its companions, they will attack it because its different. Fleet and squad are the same way. The team that looks different gets attacked more and falls more. Is it worse on defense? Maybe, but its hard to say if that is really the problem, or the mob mentality that makes us target those different than the group we identify with.

In other words: There is NO capital ship that is better than others. There are only capital ships that are better for your comp than others. It is simply preference that makes one seem better than another.
  • Options
    Totes succsessful.
    Did. But there was no insight to be had and that snippet was funny.
    Woodroward wrote: »

Not that I'm near that point (closing in on 800k ship gp), but I'm sure even that varies from shard to shard. To some extent fleet, just like squad, has "META" teams just because one person figured out a really good team and everyone else aped them. There may be other teams that are just as good, but because all the high rollers are running the same team anyone who does something different stands out.

When chickens find a spot on another chicken, they all take turns pecking at it until it's dead. If one fish is more brightly colored than its companions, they will attack it because its different. Fleet and squad are the same way. The team that looks different gets attacked more and falls more. Is it worse on defense? Maybe, but its hard to say if that is really the problem, or the mob mentality that makes us target those different than the group we identify with.

In other words: There is NO capital ship that is better than others. There are only capital ships that are better for your comp than others. It is simply preference that makes one seem better than another.
    While I totally agree that there's a large element of psychological warfare in the arenas, I don't think it's entirely accurate to say that some aren't better than others.

If the existing best ships synergize better under some commanders, then they're the better cap ship. If a cap ship has better abilities that make it more effective in more situations in comparison to other ships, it's the better ship. Better doesn't mean that everything else is unusable, but a spade is a spade, and stronger is stronger. I'd offer some pithy analogy, but let's get real, it's not needed. In the system as is, DS cap ships rule the roost.
  • Woodroward
    3749 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Totes succsessful.
    Did. But there was no insight to be had and that snippet was funny.
    Woodroward wrote: »

While I totally agree that there's a large element of psychological warfare in the arenas, I don't think it's entirely accurate to say that some aren't better than others.

If the existing best ships synergize better under some commanders, then they're the better cap ship. If a cap ship has better abilities that make it more effective in more situations in comparison to other ships, it's the better ship. Better doesn't mean that everything else is unusable, but a spade is a spade, and stronger is stronger. I'd offer some pithy analogy, but let's get real, it's not needed. In the system as is, DS cap ships rule the roost.

Meh. I run a full republic fleet with Boba and GeoSol as backup. Mace is my commander.

I've taken 1st practically every day for 10 months, and only in the last few weeks do I sometimes find myself having fallen outside the top 10 from the day before when I log in to compete during my hour for that day. My mace lead is way better than any other lead would be for my fleet. The most difficult comp I fight in my arena is Fives with Scimitar, TIE Advanced and TIE Fighter under an Admiral Ackbar lead. I actually find Tarkin the easiest of all the command ships to beat, Chimaera is right behind him as far as easy to beat goes. Ackbar is tough, Mace is really tough.

It's nowhere near as cut and dry as what you're saying in any sense. There is no best cap ship, only a best cap ship for your squad. If most people in your shard have the same cap ship, that's a trend in your shard, not a sign of which one is best.
  • Options
    There’s definetly one capital ship that’s better than the rest. No question, I have all but the new FO ships, and millennium falcon 7*. There’s definetly on combination of ships that’s better than anything else.