Royal Guard viable in pvp now?

Prev13456789
With the rework of his special taunt being a guarantee, along with his turn meter gain every time someone else gets hit, can he be a viable Dps stopgap for pvp matches? He's got a nice deep health pool. Pair with some other high hp toons and a poggle, could make for a nifty shell game team. Maybe?

(for those that haven't heard, check developer notes part of the forum about next week's update)
You guys had a riot? On account o' me? My very own riot?

Replies

• GW beast for sure.
    With the rework of his special taunt being a guarantee, along with his turn meter gain every time someone else gets hit, can he be a viable Dps stopgap for pvp matches? He's got a nice deep health pool. Pair with some other high hp toons and a poggle, could make for a nifty shell game team. Maybe?

(for those that haven't heard, check developer notes part of the forum about next week's update)

• Still hits for nothing, but this might screw a bit with the current meta.

....glad he's at 4 for me and can get to 5 easily enough!
  • I saw Royal Guard laughed and skipped that section.
  • He is going to be the new Poe, you hear it here first
  • Anyone who still doesn't see his PVP potential is going to fall behind. I'm farming him with every thing I got ATM
  • And his basic stuns! The new Daka.
  • Royal Gaurd will be very viable
  • Have him at 7* he is the sole to my empire team
  • That's a tough farm. If he becomes a regular I think a slow AOE like Kylo would be effective if the DPS/assists don't kill him.
  • Passive taunt is the new ultimate firepower in the galaxy
  • bleeaauuh wrote: »
    Have him at 7* he is the sole to my empire team

You lucky devil! I'm so jealous

• bleeaauuh wrote: »
    Have him at 7* he is the sole to my empire team

And you have snowtrooper too. You lucky devil! I'm so jealous

• Randall wrote: »
    I saw Royal Guard laughed and skipped that section.

Ok, your loss

• Wow, I just checked the update. He's going to change the meta again. I suspect a lot of droid teams will come back in business and function like Poe prenerf.

QGJ(lead), GS, Lumi, Royal Guard, Daka will be amazing
  • still slow and hits for nothing though. his passive taunt is good, but you'll likely lose a toon before it works at all, especially if you're using a squishy droid team.
  • Telaan
    3454 posts Member
    All that defense up and taunt will be delicious for QGJ to get the team offense up. I can't wait. I hope people run him.
  • Looks totally overpowered now :)
  • The stun is pretty nice, but his special ability is still totally useless.. Then you'll have a meat shield that basically does nothing (no dmg low speed).. I don't think she will be used in top teams..
  • I see a few ways he will be useful now:

1. PVE: Tank in DS missions. Especially at higher levels to help get 3 stars to help protect Daka and other low HP toons.
    2. GW: Same, good tank but I'd not use him against a QJ team unless you can take out QJ first.
    3. PVP: Same as GW, but you shouldn't leave him in your final squad. For last match sub him out or QJ teams could feast on his taunt.

If you're still under level 40 or so, I'd level him to 4 or maybe 5 stars. If you're done with DS campaign, probably not worth it for now.

I have him at lvl 49, 3*. Probably won't invest for now. Still working on maxing my A team.
  • Reyia
    1171 posts Member
    Hopefully we are not Royally Disappointed when the patch is released.

Actually I've claimed this for months. ^^ Even as he was, the card was very decent. Now it's just as good but a little more versatile.
  • He is the answer to fast speed fast damage meta I think.
    I like the way they buffed 3 largelly ignored chars.

no worries, like the new poe, it will be nerfed/reworked/rebalanced soon.
  • chipmunk19 wrote: »
    still slow and hits for nothing though. his passive taunt is good, but you'll likely lose a toon before it works at all, especially if you're using a squishy droid team.
    chipmunk19 wrote: »
    still slow and hits for nothing though. his passive taunt is good, but you'll likely lose a toon before it works at all, especially if you're using a squishy droid team.

Nonemo wrote: »
    He is going to be the new Poe, you hear it here first

Actually I've claimed this for months. ^^ Even as he was, the card was very decent. Now it's just as good but a little more versatile.

Wow, you must have the foresight ability if you saw this months ago. I applaud you!
  • Zekex wrote: »

He is a much tougher farm than Poe though. I don't think most of the players are able to abuse him for a while.

• Well, at least he's gotten a lot interesting, and I will go and try him for sure. The only thing I'm worried about is that Qui-Gon Jin is all over the place, and sometimes having a buff in place can actually turn out bad for you.
    Dutch Trade Alliance
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    Zekex wrote: »

He is a much tougher farm than Poe though. I don't think most of the players are able to abuse him for a while.

He can't do a time bubble at the fastest speed either. Taunt was not the reason why Poe was strong. It was because of the ability to move your entire team before enemy blinked
  • Where are you getting this from?
    Follow on twitter, Subscribe to my channel , 10$ free giveaway here
  • Triqui wrote: »
    Zekex wrote: »

He can't do a time bubble at the fastest speed either. Taunt was not the reason why Poe was strong. It was because of the ability to move your entire team before enemy blinked

He will taunt right after your first shot. The regardless of how fast your dps is (unless you one-shot, but with bariss in lead it is difficult to one-shot)
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    He's a 2-node mission farm, so even if he's good, only whales are going to use him. By the time any of us can get him to a decent star level, the meta will have shifted again.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.