Royal Guard viable in pvp now?

Replies

• I think what it boils down to is that RG is much better than before and he opens up some new opportunities / strategies. He's not OP, just a decent tank option.
  • Rey is the very reason RG is gaining popularity, and she will be the only reason why RG gets called OP.
    Unlike post-turn7 Poe, RG can actually protect her against super duper speed teams unless she gets one-shot. Also, like someone said before "a certain Pilot we all like so much", same story.
    Proud and Belgian officer of [DTA] BIER DTA | official Lando Calrissian fanboy KappaPride
  • Krey
    341 posts Member
    I guess the question is kind of relative to your arena environment. Mine is all 7* 70 with purple. But I have not seen anyone using RG yet. Has anyone else seen him in the arena? What star level is he being used at?
  • BnBTobacconist
    665 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    I don't think he is really viable, there are a few people trying it in arena, but no problem killing RG quickly at 7 stars, he needs more hit points.. he's probably awesome at GW though
  • Yes, there's a whale in my server with a 7* g 7 one. I managed to beat the team to get to number one today with a lucky dooku stun, GS one shot, and a lucky Rey crit one shot meaning that there were three main damage dealers out of action in the first turn and as I killed two with more than 50%, he didn't taunt. This left the guy with royal guard, Yoda, and old Ben. It was 5 on 3 in no time and I won the battle easily. He is certainly an annoying character, but is by no means perfect.
  • I don't think he is really viable, there are a few people trying it in arena, but no problem killing RG quickly at 7 stars, he needs more hit points.. he's probably awesome at GW though
    I don't think he is really viable, there are a few people trying it in arena, but no problem killing RG quickly at 7 stars, he needs more hit points.. he's probably awesome at GW though

Check out his stats at level 8/90. He has a whopping 32k HP.
  • I think he will be a staple in some arena teams with some of the updates they do. When I use him in just events I stun some one ever time he attacks.....if I didn't have my A team and B team to finish leveling their gear and lvls in general I'd be working on him right now.
  • http://imgur.com/a/gTlYc

A couple of teams using Royal Guard at the top of my Arena.
    His taunt when a squad member drops below 50% is pretty good actually.
  • Any changes impressions after these days? Still just "meh"?
  • Bostonmess
    176 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    He s good, no doubt. Have to play really careful to bring the opponents down. Their RGs are typically surrounded by Rey, GS, QGJ (L) ...
    So at least Rey has to be killed before RG taunts, otherwise I struggle ...
    Look forward to the moment I can bring him. Which will take several months :/
  • Hell ya he is viable tank in the arena. Him and poe are the only to viable taunters in the arena. Han would be the 3rd most viable but by a large margin. According to swgohcantina.com royal guard has 17.5k ish health. So he can soak some sweet damage. And poe has like 5k less health maxed. But poe does have the turn Meter reduction and chance of expose. Idk who is better. Maybe it depends on your team comp. Poe is def easier to star up.
  • Elyndria
    482 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    RG is wayyy better, it's not even close.

Speed meta is here and taunting with ~20k HP without having to take a turn is BROKEN.

It should be "% Chance to taunt when a character falls below 50% HP".
  • KAULI
    517 posts Member
    I recently fought an Empire team. I really liked the sinergies and that unexpected RG taunt move that make me waste my dps attacks on one unit for nothing.
    I won, but I can see future there
  • bleeaauuh
    1006 posts Member
    It used to be a % chance to taunt, that was basically the change hey made.....
    I think it's good it gives him a lot of utility in arena and galactic war.
  • He goes up to 33k HP which means he will become more viable. Farming needed now for the future
  • just fought him with FOTP, quigon, geo soldier, and rey... and it was not a pretty sight

how do you guys fight teams that have RG in them?
  • Kill him first or one shot the others.
    My name is cosmicturtle333, aka CT-333, aka Threes.
  • Use the Force Luke, kick his **** and take his wallet :o
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    For the moment, I avoid them. But I'd imagine the way to do it is with a combination of AoE and single-target damage. Use fast AoEs like Sid or even Yoda to whittle the cannons down, then take them out with one-hitters.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Chef5
    369 posts Member
    take out RG first, or single shot high dps, than aoe when the taunt kicks in.
  • Qeltar wrote: »
    For the moment, I avoid them. But I'd imagine the way to do it is with a combination of AoE and single-target damage. Use fast AoEs like Sid or even Yoda to whittle the cannons down, then take them out with one-hitters.

welp i definitely did not have that... ahhaha
  • Kill him first or one shot the others.

alright ill try that next time thanks!
  • Chef5
    369 posts Member
    if you dont have enough to take down an RG team, then just skip it and go for easier ones. You can always add RG to your own team.
  • Chef5 wrote: »
    if you dont have enough to take down an RG team, then just skip it and go for easier ones. You can always add RG to your own team.

welp alot of people in the top ten are using him so it gets difficult ahaha
  • Qgj humbling blow? Take out taunt kill the rest then kill him last?
  • Chef5
    369 posts Member
    you must be unlucky, there must be a lot of whales on your LB, atm im the only player that I can see in my top 20 that has an RG. but admittedly my LB is a newer one.
  • Chef5
    369 posts Member
    Nickis852 wrote: »
    Qgj humbling blow? Take out taunt kill the rest then kill him last?

nope, RG taunt will return, after debuf, the moment some goes below 50%.
  • Same as Poe, use QJ if you have him and strip that buff!
    If not kill him asap!

Good luck!
  • Use Rey to knock someone below 50. RG will taunt, so use QGJ to get offense up and one shot everyone else with your DPS
  • Chef5 wrote: »
    Nickis852 wrote: »
    Qgj humbling blow? Take out taunt kill the rest then kill him last?

nope, RG taunt will return, after debuf, the moment some goes below 50%.

Too late, you already have the team offense up and just one-shot whatever's left.
    Proud and Belgian officer of [DTA] BIER DTA | official Lando Calrissian fanboy KappaPride