The (by far) most fun part of this game is now done for me

Galactic War was 12 challenges costing no energy that was fun, required thought (but not timed) and a little patience (sometimes) and had good rewards that made you feel good about playing SWGOH. It's also the ONLY time we *might* ever use our other characters. [Emphasis on use, not just run them in to die.]

I made the mistake of not reading the forums completely and also reading Reddit and learned about 12 hours too late that my Arena squad power would destroy my GW FOREVER.
Arena is 5 crummy battles a day that take place over an hour [only due to a timer] with so-so rewards, assuming you are not a top finisher, which mathematically is the case for 90% of players. I'm not complaining, Arena is fine...but it can't hold a candle to GW for entertainment.
I would have NEVER chosen Arena over GW if I'd known.
I've frozen my Arena squad's power but it's too late.

This isn't my first day with the new GW and as a result I've taken a lvl 1 Barris to a 4 star max level Barris with good gear, and am currently leveling and gearing two other heroes JUST FOR GW...all that in the past few days just to have a chance at winning GW at roughly 400% more work and 99% less fun.
Even with all that I've just spent the past 2 hours trying to win Battle # 5 in my current GW.
This just isn't fun.

I'm not saying I'm going to quit SWGOH--but I've thought really hard about it. Without a fun GW what content exactly am I enjoying in this game? I can hope that in the next 3 months maybe there will be a good update for GW that works its way through the pipe, at which point the game will be fun for me again.

I think in the meantime I'm just going to play GW until I hit the wall, then log off for the day. I'd rather spend 15 minutes on it, some of that fun, than put myself through 150 minutes of not-fun just to get some rewards that I can't even use on my A-Team because that would make GW even harder.

P.S. My downfall was going over 21,000 Power with my Arena squad. Unless you are going to be reliably top 50, DON'T DO IT!

Replies

• Just keep leveling up your toons and restart tough gw battles when doing poorly.
  • Apollodo wrote: »
    Just keep leveling up your toons and restart tough gw battles when doing poorly.
    You don't understand...I know how to play GW, it's not a question of me just needing to learn there is a Retreat button. Even if I did, that wouldn't suddenly make GW fun.

1) I'm currently on my 8th battle, facing a team that is 4,721 Power higher than my best 5 (my Arena squad) and 5,285 Power higher than my best GW team. I'm 64 with characters 4* through 7*. This team is all 70, 5000 power, with skills all 5/6/7, and stars of 6* or 7*. Kylo, Dooku, Sid, Lumi. The only weak link is a 7* JC with 5306 power. Good luck exploiting that weakness while not getting killed by the rest of the team.
    The difference between 25000 and 21000 is not a challenge, it's a cruel joke. It would be one thing if it were the 11th or 12th mission, I could live with that. This starts happening around #3 or #4.

2) I spent an hour retreating and everything I could to beat a single battle (# 6) out of 12.
    When team composition is not the key, I have a spreadsheet where I map out every action I take so that I can try to play the mission "perfectly." It doesn't matter when you run into something like that. The Retreat button doesn't solve anything other than perma-death, you still have to beat the mission somehow.

By the way, as far as leveling, the last thing you should do is level (gear/star, any Power increase) your Arena characters. That will only make GW harder, so that advice would lead to the opposite result. If you take more power into Arena, you will make GW harder for yourself.
    So, yes, I only level my non-Arena team, when I can find the crystals or energy or droids or gear to level 30 characters, which as we all know is a piece of cake.

• I've completed 30 GW's. It's not like I went to bed and lost 40 levels from my squad or took a break and when I came back was just really really bad at GW. Overnight I went from being able to do 12 missions in about 60-90 minutes to being able to do 5-8 missions in about 2-4 hours. The only reason the time isn't higher is because I can't complete GW anymore.

No game developer would look at a curve that abrupt and think "Perfect. We did it!" [breaks out champagne]
  • Eric I am right there with you. I am sitting her 3 battles fighting all 70's... all 6 and 7 stars. It is so frustrating to not even get halfway through. And sure I can beat this team now, but I will either lose a key player or start the next battle low on health. This was the one place where you could play and experiment a little.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    My maximum squad power was about 26.2k and my GW fights have been getting easier rather than harder.
    The algorithm is messed up and they are working on fixing it. So don't give up yet.
    Remember that once your characters get very strong there is a limit to how much stronger any GW fight can get. You are actually probably in the most difficult bottleneck right now.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Galactic War was 12 challenges costing no energy that was fun, required thought (but not timed) and a little patience (sometimes) and had good rewards that made you feel good about playing SWGOH. It's also the ONLY time we *might* ever use our other characters. [Emphasis on use, not just run them in to die.]

I made the mistake of not reading the forums completely and also reading Reddit and learned about 12 hours too late that my Arena squad power would destroy my GW FOREVER.
    Arena is 5 crummy battles a day that take place over an hour [only due to a timer] with so-so rewards, assuming you are not a top finisher, which mathematically is the case for 90% of players. I'm not complaining, Arena is fine...but it can't hold a candle to GW for entertainment.
    I would have NEVER chosen Arena over GW if I'd known.
    I've frozen my Arena squad's power but it's too late.

This isn't my first day with the new GW and as a result I've taken a lvl 1 Barris to a 4 star max level Barris with good gear, and am currently leveling and gearing two other heroes JUST FOR GW...all that in the past few days just to have a chance at winning GW at roughly 400% more work and 99% less fun.
    Even with all that I've just spent the past 2 hours trying to win Battle # 5 in my current GW.
    This just isn't fun.

I'm not saying I'm going to quit SWGOH--but I've thought really hard about it. Without a fun GW what content exactly am I enjoying in this game? I can hope that in the next 3 months maybe there will be a good update for GW that works its way through the pipe, at which point the game will be fun for me again.

I think in the meantime I'm just going to play GW until I hit the wall, then log off for the day. I'd rather spend 15 minutes on it, some of that fun, than put myself through 150 minutes of not-fun just to get some rewards that I can't even use on my A-Team because that would make GW even harder.

P.S. My downfall was going over 21,000 Power with my Arena squad. Unless you are going to be reliably top 50, DON'T DO IT!

I'm in the same boat, Captain hindsight showed me that doing research tends to pay off...
  • I have a max power around 18k and not been able to improve my Arena power just trying to stay in top 500. And for me the GW battles have just gotten harder and harder keep getting stopped on 5th battle with 6 to 7* teams and my best I have is 6* lumi and a 5* JC, Chewie and Phasma then all I have are 4*. I can get 5 shards ever 2 days if I'm lucky and I did love throwing my weaker toons in for test and hope for a new Arena team is no just a death sentence for them.

I do hope that they have plans to fix GW because like you I enjoyed GW more than anything else in this game. That's why I only stay top 500 in arena not really wanting to run the same as ever one else Phasma, Sid, Lumi, GS or QGJ....Dooku I'd like to make. Unique team from GW.
  • I can't get past the 4 th battle today. What a joke. This squad is a roadblock. I might be able to defeat it once, in about a month from now.