Breath of Fresh Air! TW Thread

Goodbye staleness. Hello freshness!

I've thoroughly enjoyed the start to TW. I say this even after having the server crash as I was wiping a team out. I didn't get credit for the win, and lost my toons--which was annoying--but I'm sure it's something that will be worked on. If that is your frustration, I hear ya.

However my overall impression has been an EXTREMELY positive one.

Have a deep roster? You're rewarded.
Have an incredibly strong "arena" team (or two)? You're rewarded.
Have good guild synergy/coordination? You're rewarded.
Have a very solid tactical/strategic plan? You're rewarded.

I love fighting the different team compositions. While I'm sure certain team comps will surface as the most effective and we will see many waves of them, I'm currently enjoying the decent buffet that this TW is providing.

I've always lived by the notion that if I'm willing to complain when a product is bad, I should also be willing to exhort when the product is good. Perhaps things could be a lot better, but for now I'm loving it. Thanks to those involved for constructing this, and to all those playing.

Note: As a reference point, I'm in a guild with 128m GP, and we were matched against a guild with 128m GP. The level of competitive balance seems to be perfect so far.

Replies

• Options
    Yes, our guild is thoroughly enjoing it too, definitely a step in the right direction.
  • Options
    Yes this mode is absolutely fantastic!!

The only thing I want implemented is a way to celebrate as a guild too! Maybe when you reach certain goals in TB or TW you get to (as a leader/officer) initiate a celebratory graphic that pops up in the chat once you attain one of these goals you set out. Goals could be:

-Beating your opponent in TW
    -Getting to a certain star level in TB

Other than saying "WOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!" in the chat, there is really no way to celebrate as a guild. :)
  • Options
    My guild leading 5770 - 5730. Nothing in it at this stage.

Definitely a nice game mode and will be interesting to see how tactics develop over time.
  • Options
    I agree with your sentiments, So far enjoying it..
    But of course there are issues.. Boba seems to have some bugs revolving around him. I saw an enemy boba kill my character and NOT get his bounty hunters resolve buff back. And my friend watched his boba try to execute someone and the attack was evaded somehow.
    Other than that, and the people having crash issues mid battle which is par for the course compared to TB.. Im happy with the new mode. Its the first thing this game has introduced that to me feels like it actually requires real guild wide strategy.
  • Options
    This is so much better than GW which is why I'm glad it was nerfed
  • Options
    I think it’s a good first version definitely. There is a couple of improvements that I think can put this game mode over the top such as showing replays of matches, click in to watch a live feed of the attacker’s run, allow both guilds to see each other’s rosters etc.

Overall very satisfied as well with this game mode but adding the above features would make this mode amazing.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options
    Nice post. I have no complaints about TW either.

The only thing I wish could be added is a way to show who in the guild has posted 0 defence squads. Currently this version shows only those that have posted defence squads. For me to cross reference that information to my entire guild members is very time consuming.

So far though, my experiences with TW is fun and fresh, despite my guild currently losing badly, however I suspect that many of my guild have not had an opportunity to attack around their daily work schedules etc. Hopefully we make a comeback before the day is out!
  • Options
    I think they should change it to where if you have toons that survive the offensive battles, they should be able to be used in anothe battle. THATS how it works for the defensive teams. Whomever isn’t defeated, STAYS for another attack.
  • Options
    Yes it's very nice so far, except somehow many people do not understand simple explanations as to how it works.
    Maybe I'm in a guild that is not invested enough but it's difficult to coordinate when you have to re-explain a lot the basics.
  • Options
    DJayK3 wrote: »
    I think they should change it to where if you have toons that survive the offensive battles, they should be able to be used in anothe battle. THATS how it works for the defensive teams. Whomever isn’t defeated, STAYS for another attack.

Think how insanely easy that would make offense. Takes away all strategy
  • Options

This
  • Options
    I liked the beta, doing it with my guild is more fun so it's looking good. I'm going to hold off on judgement until the end though.
  • TVF
    36599 posts Member
    Options
    Jamesm wrote: »

Think how insanely easy that would make offense. Takes away all strategy

This.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Options

No. One maxed out meta team would then be able to clear half of the opposition's defense.
    Also, if everyone had every toon at 6k+ (for eligibility), that would give each guild 1,360 (not counting ships) squads to work with. After you place 200 on defense, you have 1,160 squads left to take out your opponent's 200 defensive squads. I'm wondering how they're gonna deal with ties.
  • Options
    Well done devs. Having a blast.
  • Options
    Agree completely. Lots of fun.

At this point, bin the TBs and go TW only...
  • Hannibal_Bexus
    620 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Personally, I love Territory Wars.
    I would like to see the rules change frequently so it doesn't get stale. For instance, instead of leaving the First Order and Resistance buffs static, change it every now and then. I would even like to see what would happen if everyone's Rebels were disabled for a week and Ugnaught got a 100% offense buff. (this would make my roster pretty much useless btw)
    Most people got bored of TB's monotony quickly.
  • Options
    I would like to see the rules change frequently so it doesn't get stale. For instance, instead of leaving the First Order and Resistance buffs static, change it every now and then. I would even like to see what would happen if everyone's Rebels were disabled for a week and Ugnaught got a 100% offense buff.

They said they will.
  • Options
    Except my guild is having tons of crashes causing Insta losses
  • Hannibal_Bexus
    620 posts Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Jamesm wrote: »
    I would like to see the rules change frequently so it doesn't get stale. For instance, instead of leaving the First Order and Resistance buffs static, change it every now and then. I would even like to see what would happen if everyone's Rebels were disabled for a week and Ugnaught got a 100% offense buff.

They said they will.

Kittens! I gotta start working on Ugnaught...
  • Options
    My first impression was deep frustration after a crash ("Server Maintenance"...) on the first fight, losing my best team. Also, we were feeling that the opponent was far too strong for us (32M with less active members against 28M for us). And, surprisingly, I do enjoy it. It's funny to see the totally different strategy the other guild used and we communicate like never before to see how we can manage to, perhaps, win this round.
    Everything is not perfect but I really think this is a fresh breath.
  • Options

They specifically removed it so you don't wipe half of the opponent's squads with one regenerating team, like Phoenix or DN Sith or several others.
  • Options
    Tw is Great. I think even certain areas having bonuses would be cool.
  • Options
    It's nice to see all the positive replies on this thread. Thanks to everyone who has posted thus far.

My guild and the guild we're facing have completely wiped each other out. (It was a blast) While the rewards between 1st & 2nd aren't very substantial, I'd still like to see a tiebreaker system added. After all, a lot of us are super competitive. Also, among guilds with deep rosters, I have a feeling ties will be happening on a semi-regular basis.

I think that using time as a tiebreaker is a bad idea. (I.e. whichever guild wipes out the other first is declared the winner). This would hurt guild synergy and would be disadvantageous to guilds in an inconvenient time zone.

I suppose one tiebreaker could be declaring victory for the guild that used the least amount of toons on offense. This would be the "efficiency" tiebreaker. Not sure I'm all on-board for this because guild members with weaker squads could then be encouraged to watch from the sidelines while the big boys did the work.

I think a PERFECT option would be to have each guild "deploy" their remaining toons into the opposition's territory upon a full clear. These are the leftover toons that haven't be used on offense or defense. Think of this in similar terms to what you do in TB after doing platoons and combat missions. This would be a barometer of your efficiency as a guild, but also shouldn't have the effect of making less powerful guild members gun-shy with experimenting with fights with their under-powered toons along the way (whereas the previous example citing number of toons used would have that very effect). This would still, in theory, give the advantage to the guild that has more GP to start, but could very well swing in the other direction if your guild is defeated frequently in battle. (Note: I was impressed with the matchmaking for TW and I feel as though MOST guilds were matched to a guild within 1 million of their GP). Also, we know that deployment is already a mechanic that the devs have used before, and I believe that would make it a more feasible option than some other equally appealing ideas (i.e. sudden death matches, extra territories popping up, etc).

Would love to hear feedback on this! Have a great one, ladies and gents :smile:
  • Options
    We LOVED TW!!!! A lot of fun (and not just because we won!) Brought the guild together- if only TB was half the fun of TW!!!!
    Yes, they need to get a tiebreakers system in place so everyone enjoys it like we did. Someone else posted the idea of banners rewarded to successful defensive team holds when attacked.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options
    Buddy wrote: »

I certainly wouldn't say bin TB just tweak the difficulty.

Re-release DSTB next year after a separatist faction pass - granting more toons like Droideka, B1 Roger, Jango and a GG rework. More ships and a Separatist flagship to complete their faction's fleet.

Also grant more Empire toons - Scout Trooper, Inquisitors and also add more Sith like Darth Sion and Revan - make the DS great with a healthy amount of toons and ships to rival the LS.

LSTB needs to be slightly adjusted to reflect 4 phases of a mission rather than 6, as DSTB did. 6 phases is far too long, so I just end up autoing the battles - which takes the fun and strategy out of it anyway, because I am pushed on time.

TW should not replace the TBs feature - but simply be another area of the game to draw enjoyment from.
  • Options
    Boo wrote: »
    Buddy wrote: »

I certainly wouldn't say bin TB just tweak the difficulty.

Re-release DSTB next year after a separatist faction pass - granting more toons like Droideka, B1 Roger, Jango and a GG rework. More ships and a Separatist flagship to complete their faction's fleet.

Also grant more Empire toons - Scout Trooper, Inquisitors and also add more Sith like Darth Sion and Revan - make the DS great with a healthy amount of toons and ships to rival the LS.

LSTB needs to be slightly adjusted to reflect 4 phases of a mission rather than 6, as DSTB did. 6 phases is far too long, so I just end up autoing the battles - which takes the fun and strategy out of it anyway, because I am pushed on time.

TW should not replace the TBs feature - but simply be another area of the game to draw enjoyment from.

Agreed. Fatten up some factions. Rework bh first :) because they are needed and deserve one. Seps rework after so I never have to see another Jango and gg thread haha. More Empire. Scout trooper is Great. Gimme some Rukh. More pilots. I’ll even take a generic imperial officer and just throw them in gw arena and cantina.
    Tw hella fun.