Point of timers on shipments?

LargKellein
192 posts Member
edited December 2015
Can anyone explain to me what the reasoning is behind having timers on how we spend rewards on shipments? Right now, I'm focusing on building up Sid and Lumi, so they're the only character shards I'm buying. Currently sitting on the resources to buy 3 shipments of each, but I can't because of the 6 hour timers on the stores. I can refresh that for 50 gems a store, but I refuse to buy the right to buy.

So, is this just a cynical attempted cash grab from the impatient or has anyone come up with a reason why we're waiting to spend rewards we already waited to earn and then receive?

Edit: So the GW shipments store is only 10 to refresh, but that's almost dumber than the 50 for arena rewards, since GW rewards are given in increments of 100 so one refresh leaves you with 90 left that you can never spend on anything except another 9 refreshes.

Replies

• Options
    I don't really see the point of this post. You answered your own question.
  • Options
    Guess I was hoping I was missing something other than shameless preying on impatience. Or even more naively, that someone at CG would read it and go "hey, that guy is right. This is stupid".

Yeah, I know... Better chance of a white Christmas in Sudan than that happening.
  • Options
    This bugs me as well...
  • Options
    You actually manage to sit on more resource than you can spend for arena and GW? I clear GW and arena top10 daily, and the 6hrs auto refresh is just right for me (even missing one refresh when I sleep).
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    This actually harms new players more than established ones. At the beginning I saved up my arena tokens because I wasn't sure who to get. By the time I figured it out, I had to wait 2 extra days to spend them. It's a dumb system and completely unnecessary -- you are already gated by having to wait to get the currency in the first place.
    BTW there's a trick so you don't have to miss a refresh. Leave the game running when you go to bed and the 6 hour timer will count down anew when the old one stops. Arrange the timing so this happens in the middle of the night.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Options
    Qeltar wrote: »
    This actually harms new players more than established ones. At the beginning I saved up my arena tokens because I wasn't sure who to get. By the time I figured it out, I had to wait 2 extra days to spend them. It's a dumb system and completely unnecessary -- you are already gated by having to wait to get the currency in the first place.
    BTW there's a trick so you don't have to miss a refresh. Leave the game running when you go to bed and the 6 hour timer will count down anew when the old one stops. Arrange the timing so this happens in the middle of the night.

Thats a nice tip, thanks man
  • Keaven
    1099 posts Member
    Options
    One way to get an advantage (particularly for old players vs newer players) is to accumulate tokens and wait for the next OP character to be released and get it quickest for an adge (granted that would be a risk not necessarily knowing who is OP when they are released just from base stats and abilities)

The cooldown would slow this alot I would say, but I don't think it's necessary as the game is very slow progression anyway.
    Sounds interesting, but have no idea what you are talking about.
    Profile: Keaven
    Guild: Fear The Boot
  • Options
    SeroZero wrote: »
    You actually manage to sit on more resource than you can spend for arena and GW? I clear GW and arena top10 daily, and the 6hrs auto refresh is just right for me (even missing one refresh when I sleep).

I do, but I suspect the fact you can place top 10 has something to do with it. Gives you a bigger crystal income than I have hovering around top 50-100 to spend on refreshes, meaning more time spent with the game running, thus fewer missed timers. So there is an element of "hey, just remember to check in for no reason other than timers" as well.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    Keaven wrote: »
    Sounds interesting, but have no idea what you are talking about.

The shipment timer runs for 6 hours. If at the time it expires the game is connected to the server, a new 6-hour clock begins. Otherwise, it starts the next time you log in. (Ever noticed how it is always 5h 59m left when you go for the first time in the morning?)
    Let's say you sleep from midnight until 8 am. Exit the game and then start it up at 10 am the next morning. Then make sure it is connected at 4 pm and 10 pm, and leave the game on when you go to bed. The server will start a new clock at 4 am while you are asleep and you will get 4 shipments per 24 hours.
    Of course we can't always do this religiously so over time the change time will drift but you can get a lot more shipments this way.
    Another thing I am starting to think about doing is actually paying the 50 crystals to refresh the regular shipments. I've noticed I now very often get offered 3 of the purple items I am trying to grind and this can be cheaper than paying 400 shards just to get 8 chances at the same item with missions. Anyone else do this?
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Keaven
    1099 posts Member
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks for clarifying. :)
    Profile: Keaven
    Guild: Fear The Boot
  • Options
    Qeltar, thise 50 to refresh Shipments don't guarantee any item you are looking for. You'll grab thrm anyway for sure as the gold they ask make them free, but with Energy, at least you get what you want. But I understand your point. You have about 3 refreshes for Shipments at 50 or maybe 4. And rhat gets you ine to three, different purpule iteams (3 each). At some point, you WILL some of that gear. It's again, not guaranteed to complete that last 20 + 20 gear that has tour Sid capped at level VII (example).