Grevious

Prev13
Rumors are that Grevious is coming to the shard shop. However, I am worred that he will be a 145 shard like Yoda. At the current exchange rate, that would be mean 1450 shards of other characters just to get him, and another 1850 to get him to 7*. I'm all up for a grind, but this is a little too far imo.

This is based on 1 extra shard = 15 shard points
And the presumption that he costs 300 points per 2 shards

Opinions/thoughts?

Replies

• Options
    There are rumors that things will be different for the exclusive character. It is quite probable with the shop refresh, but I am not so sure about pricing. On one hand, now it is insanely overpriced. On the other hand, EA...
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Yoda is 5* because he is the effing Grand Master of the Jedi Order Yoda.
    *Maybe* Emperor Palpatine could be 5* too. And just maybe. There is no way that Grievous has more stars than Darth Sidious.
  • Options
    *Cough*

Its obviously him
  • Options
    Even if he is a 4* thats 80 shards, or 12,000 shard shop points. Plus another 65 for 5*, 80 for 6*, and 100 for 7*. Grand total = 49,500 shard points. Of course they could always lower the amount of shards to get him

Based on 1 grevious shard being 150 shard shop points (300 for 2)

With an exchange rate of 15 points per extra charcter shard....
  • Options
    I had a dream Grievous did not have lightsabers in his profile pic and also had no anti-Jedi mechanics in his kit (which had no leader ability either, which I'm hoping would be droid-based).
  • Options
    I for one would have preffered such a character to be an event guy. Right now, droid armies are one of the strongest teams in PVP. If Grevious is added at this silly exchage rate, and is decent, it will only be whales that will have him, potentially tipped the Arena into P2win. Just my opinion
  • Options
    Ballquid wrote: »
    I for one would have preffered such a character to be an event guy. Right now, droid armies are one of the strongest teams in PVP. If Grevious is added at this silly exchage rate, and is decent, it will only be whales that will have him, potentially tipped the Arena into P2win. Just my opinion

With the possibilities expanding, I wouldn't fear that one character will break arena. There will be counters. But it is true that farming him ten times slower than other characters would suck...
  • Supreme
    116 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Time to farm Ugnaught
  • DefinitivePoeCounter
    287 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

It will make p2w but isn't it like that always. You can access it, but I can access it faster. By the time you unlocked Poe I already had a 7*, by the time you finished up Geo, I was already moving away from it etc. For it to be broken p2w it'd have to be a paywall, so if Rex was OP you could then say p2w.
  • Options

It will make p2w but isn't it like that always. You can access it, but I can access it faster. By the time you unlocked Poe I already had a 7*, by the time you finished up Geo, I was already moving away from it etc. For it to be broken p2w it'd have to be a paywall, so if Rex was OP you could then say p2w.
    It's a major investment for non-whales that whales essentially get for free.
    If the cost is the same as the standard junk in the shard shop, a non-whale would basically have to spend the equivalent of 1600 tokens per day for 40 straight days just to get him at 4*, which would cripple their ability to farm most anything else in GW/Arena. It's a big difference.
    If they make it so you can get more than 2 of his shards per day, even worse.
    I probably will not even bother with him, and I'm sitting on 50,000 extra tokens right now. I'd rather unlock several other characters and work on ways to use them / hope they become useful in the future.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Options
    Qeltar wrote: »

If the cost is the same as the standard junk in the shard shop, a non-whale would basically have to spend the equivalent of 1600 tokens per day for 40 straight days just to get him at 4*, which would cripple their ability to farm most anything else in GW/Arena. It's a big difference.
    I probably will not even bother with him, and I'm sitting on 50,000 extra tokens right now. I'd rather unlock several other characters and work on ways to use them / hope they become useful in the future.

I'm absolutely certain that they will reduce the exchange rate to be round 1:5 and also allow crystal refreshes of the shop.

When you think of it, it'd cost pretty much same as Yoda, you needed 5x 7* Jedi to unlock it so 5 7* characters, and if Grievous has the exchange rate of 1:5 it'd also take '5 7* worth of characters' to get him to 7*.

Downside is that you lose out on 5 7* characters but if they make him good enough without being OP, that'd be good enough.
  • Options

Slightly different. To get Poe 7* you had to farm a few hundred shards, and the rest of us had to eventually keep up. For grevious you needs a few thousand, althougg tecbically f2p COULD farm these, realistically it would be nearly impossible as it would take months if not a year or more of playing each day depending on luck, and thats only if they abandoned all other farming. In that time, a new character gets put on the shard shop increasing the gap
  • Options
    This isn't anything like Yoda unless you leveled up useless Jedi that you never plan to use. There are enough good Jedi that this wasn't necessary.
    I don't have a problem with whales having an exclusive (well, except to the extent that I find this whole game model suspect in general).
    We'll have to wait and see how it works.
    My guess is that the character will be cool but not necessarily as OP as everyone expects.
  • Ballquid
    53 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

I'm absolutely certain that they will reduce the exchange rate to be round 1:5 and also allow crystal refreshes of the shop.

When you think of it, it'd cost pretty much same as Yoda, you needed 5x 7* Jedi to unlock it so 5 7* characters, and if Grievous has the exchange rate of 1:5 it'd also take '5 7* worth of characters' to get him to 7*.

Downside is that you lose out on 5 7* characters but if they make him good enough without being OP, that'd be good enough.

Again, the logic here is flawed. When getting those jedi's to 7*, you ended up with those 5x7 jedi you could use in galactic war etc...PLUS yoda. To farm for grevious, you get JUST grevious. All the thousands of shards you farmed go ONLY to him and nothing else. To farm EXTRA shards for him is take that farming time away from getting other characters. Even if we allow that we get 1 7* (required to farm extra) then from your logic Grevious is at least 4x MORE expensive that Yoda.
    Bring him to a droid/geonoian event, and at least I would have 5x7* droids/geo and my farming would not have been in vain.

You did mention that downside if you miss out on 5x7* but also said it would be good enough if he was decent. To say 1x7* toon could equal 5x7* is very off by my reckoning. Sorry
  • Options
    This isn't anything like Yoda unless you leveled up useless Jedi that you never plan to use. There are enough good Jedi that this wasn't necessary.
    I don't have a problem with whales having an exclusive (well, except to the extent that I find this whole game model suspect in general).
    We'll have to wait and see how it works.
    My guess is that the character will be cool but not necessarily as OP as everyone expects.

Thing is even if they make him borderline useless we whales will buy him regardless, cause we have nothing to spend in the shard shop so yeah he might turn out to be garbage as well lol.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Thing is even if they make him borderline useless we whales will buy him regardless, cause we have nothing to spend in the shard shop so yeah he might turn out to be garbage as well lol.

Right. Because the shard shop is so badly designed, there's nothing else to do with all those excess shards and you might as well get him whatever he is. For F2Pers (and even P2Pers who do not buy chromes, like me) it will be a much tougher decision.
    And unlike chromium heroes we can't wait for you guys to get him and try him out first, or we'll be months behind the curve.
    I doubt he'll be garbage but here I concede in advance that they have a tightrope to walk. Too good and all the "P2W!" and "my favorite character is impossible to get!" screams begin. Too bad and the whales begin complaining again.
    If we get a mix of both that will be a sign that they did well. Sort of like when I am in a forum and I get a mix of people calling me "whiner" and "fanboi". :)
  • Options

Right. Because the shard shop is so badly designed, there's nothing else to do with all those excess shards and you might as well get him whatever he is. For F2Pers (and even P2Pers who do not buy chromes, like me) it will be a much tougher decision.
    And unlike chromium heroes we can't wait for you guys to get him and try him out first, or we'll be months behind the curve.
    I doubt he'll be garbage but here I concede in advance that they have a tightrope to walk. Too good and all the "P2W!" and "my favorite character is impossible to get!" screams begin. Too bad and the whales begin complaining again.
    If we get a mix of both that will be a sign that they did well. Sort of like when I am in a forum and I get a mix of people calling me "whiner" and "fanboi". :)

If they put a limit of 10 shards per day that'd allow both f2p and p2p to advance quick enough when the exchange rate is 1:5 or below. It'd still take your GW and Arena shipments to get 5 shards of him per day but at least you'd still have Cantina shipment/battles left open while getting steady 5 shards per day (or more depending on the exchange rate), it is not ideal but unless they add some new coveted toons to GW and Arena shipments everyone would be fine to spend them to get Grievous.
  • Options

If they put a limit of 10 shards per day that'd allow both f2p and p2p to advance quick enough when the exchange rate is 1:5 or below. It'd still take your GW and Arena shipments to get 5 shards of him per day but at least you'd still have Cantina shipment/battles left open while getting steady 5 shards per day (or more depending on the exchange rate), it is not ideal but unless they add some new coveted toons to GW and Arena shipments everyone would be fine to spend them to get Grievous.

With a very nice exchange rate it could work, but most people are still trying to just get 1 team of 7*s. To use arena and GW tokens would require they have at least 2 7*. For a f2p game to remain financially viable, there has to be some challenge from the f2p in order to encourage whaling to get ahead, but not too far ahead so that they continue to spent to keep that advantage.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    At 1:5 with a limit of 10 shards per day, whales will unlock him 2x faster than F2P and that's assuming they do decently in arena and finish GW every day. Maybe that's the balance level they are looking for, I dunno. But the cost to an F2Per is very high.
    At 1:10 it is 4x faster and an F2Per would have to give up all Arena and GW shipments for 4 straight months. That's a bit excessive.
  • Options
    At 1:5 with a limit of 10 shards per day, whales will unlock him 2x faster than F2P and that's assuming they do decently in arena and finish GW every day. Maybe that's the balance level they are looking for, I dunno. But the cost to an F2Per is very high.
    At 1:10 it is 4x faster and an F2Per would have to give up all Arena and GW shipments for 4 straight months. That's a bit excessive.

Agreed
  • Options

With a very nice exchange rate it could work, but most people are still trying to just get 1 team of 7*s. To use arena and GW tokens would require they have at least 2 7*. For a f2p game to remain financially viable, there has to be some challenge from the f2p in order to encourage whaling to get ahead, but not too far ahead so that they continue to spent to keep that advantage.

Most hardcores, or the people that frequent the forums or are even aware of what the patches are doing already have multiple 7*s. The game is expanding too fast, they can't cater everything to the middle-ground. Take Yoda challenge for example, there was no mention of the event in the game, it suddenly popped and was gone in a week. If you were a player that didn't frequent the forums or reddit you'd not be aware of the event.

So for all intents and purposes, majority of the player base already has multiple 2 7*s so I don't think acquiring those shards would be the roadblock whether they are f2p or p2p.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    They need to add more things for people to do. This point has been made about 10,000 times to them over the last 3 months.
    I made a detailed post with numerous examples of things they could do that would make it easy to keep people occupied and require a minimum of development resources. I got a response to the effect of "we'll take it under advisement" and that was the end of it.
    I don't get the impression that actually providing a lot of fun gameplay is a high priority over there. Even the Yoda challenge was basically 0 gameplay if you couldn't get to 6*. I was done with it in under 15 minutes.
    Grinding 1 character for 4 months at the cost of giving up 10 other characters doesn't help anything.
  • Options

So for all intents and purposes, majority of the player base already has multiple 2 7*s so I don't think acquiring those shards would be the roadblock whether they are f2p or p2p.

I strongely disagree
  • QGJM
    318 posts Member
    Options

I assume you can unlock and Upgrade him imediately, if u have enough shard Shop currency. Everthing else would be strange for big spenders.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    QGJM wrote: »
    I assume you can unlock and Upgrade him imediately, if u have enough shard Shop currency. Everthing else would be strange for big spenders.

I will be extremely surprised if that is the case. Everything in this game is time-gated in some fashion and the shard shop has the stricted time gates of all. The only exception I can think of was Yoda and that was a special event.
    They may loosen things a bit for this special character but I'll still be shocked if you can unlock him right away.
  • QGJM
    318 posts Member
    Options
    And he should be relevant in Arena, too. At least better than GS. Really want to get rid of this bug.
  • QGJM
    318 posts Member
    Options

I will be extremely surprised if that is the case. Everything in this game is time-gated in some fashion and the shard shop has the stricted time gates of all. The only exception I can think of was Yoda and that was a special event.
    They may loosen things a bit for this special character but I'll still be shocked if you can unlock him right away.

Because the People who can get him right away have so much currency. To make them farm him would be really annoying... IMO.

And then there is no Need in buying chromiums if u can farm him at nearly the Same Speed
  • Ballquid
    53 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    This guy should be aimed at whalers to start to get an advantage, as that is a good business model, however he should also be gettable by f2p so that whalers will then have to spend more to gain a different advantage to keep ahead of the game. With that in mind, I think 15 shards for 300 shard points would achieve that. It would allow the whalers a week or two being OP above f2p, before the rest can catch up
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    Because the People who can get him right away have so much currency.
    That's exactly why they need to limit how quickly he can be obtained. There are people who have spent such ridiculous amounts of money that they'll instantly unlock him and a week later be complaining again that there's nothing to buy. This will then repeat every time they put someone new in there.
    It also creates a huge gap between extreme spenders and everyone else. I know you seem to want that (or at least, nearly every post seems to suggest that position) but it isn't necessarily a smart move.
    This guy should be aimed at whalers to start to get an advantage, as that is a good business model, however he should also be gettable by f2p so that whalers will then have to spend more to gain a different advantage to keep ahead of the game. With that in mind, I think 15 shards for 300 shard points would achieve that. It would allow the whalers a week or two being OP above f2p, before the rest can catch up

I think your math is off here. 15 shards for 300 shard points is almost a 1:1 ratio of traded in shards and EVERYBODY would have him unlocked in a few days.
  • Options
    Because the People who can get him right away have so much currency.
    That's exactly why they need to limit how quickly he can be obtained. There are people who have spent such ridiculous amounts of money that they'll instantly unlock him and a week later be complaining again that there's nothing to buy. This will then repeat every time they put someone new in there.
    It also creates a huge gap between extreme spenders and everyone else. I know you seem to want that (or at least, nearly every post seems to suggest that position) but it isn't necessarily a smart move.

I think your math is off here. 15 shards for 300 shard points is almost a 1:1 ratio of traded in shards and EVERYBODY would have him unlocked in a few days.

Only those who have a full team of 7*s and have the extra shards, which a lot of f2p dont have. Dont forget, people cant get ANY points untill they have excess shards over 7* Even at 15 shards per day, that still requires ALOT of extra shards each and everyday to trade in. As far as I know, each extra shard gives you 15 points, meaning you would need 20 extra just to get the first shards bought. At minimum, it should be 10 shards for 300 or it would be realisitically impossible for f2p to get (although theoritically possible). I think you over estimate how many f2p people actually have any shard shop currency, and if they do, it would be very very little