How big a deal is human ability

Naraic
2243 posts Member
edited December 2017
Right as some of you know I'm a fairly recent player.

Anyway I'm wondering how big a deal is the human factor in arena matches. There's someone running the exact same squad as me except that 4 of his people are a star lower and he has worse gear and less abilities unlocked who can beat me at will and take my spot.

We are low level (high 40s) and the difference in gp is 15-20%.

I can beat him at will within 90 seconds. I don't know how easily he beats me. Anyway I'm just asking how big a deal at later stages is the human factor in PvP?

Replies

• Peer
    299 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    AI is designed to "balance" the game. This means that it is intentionally not on par with human players. For example AI often does not "decide" what action it should perform. The devs set rules and AI follows these rules. Kylo Ren uses Lashout all the time even if the best action was to regenerate protection while dealing huge damage. And then some other toon kills him. If there was a real AI behind arena matches we would lose 8/10 matches at least.
  • Offense is much easier than defense because the AI spreads out damage and doesn't apply skills in the best way.

In general, You should be able to beat teams much stronger tham you, and weaker teams should be able to beat you.

But when you start getting characters that have good synergy, get autotaunters, get very fast mods, etc, your defense should improve. But you should still lose on defense to a decent player with your same team and stats because the AI is not good on defense.
  • AleSahnDroh_1979
    950 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    In general, there are some toons that AI knows how to control well (CLS, Chaze, Sith under Z Maul lead...) and some that are terribly played, Resistance above all.
    In normal AAT P2 with Z Finn and strong team I made 10 M by myself, but 3 M on auto...
    For the same reason, even if my Resistance did 46% damage in P2 HAAT, it's NOT my arena team, on defense I would loose almost all matches in the 50-100 rank...
  • I don’t know much about programming but I think it would be fairly hard to program to adapt to bad RNG the way a human would. I face the same teams with my same team day in and day out(same with ships). I perform the same action sequence every time, until RNG makes me change. My decision at that moment is soley based on how the match stands at that moment. Human players learn from experience to do the right thing at that moment.

But like the previous poster said, mods and synergies can make even the smartest player lose on offense. There is one player in my shard I cannot beat no matter what, or who I change in my lineup or the kill order I try to execute. He fields well synergized teams with way superior mods than me. If I burned all 5 arena battles on him daily, I would win eventually, but I choose to go around now. He is on the opposite side of the world so his payout doesn’t conflict with mine.
  • Very huge huge huge
  • Good example of AI. Last two toons Zentress hitting for about 50k at end of battle versus Raid Han who has enough Fire power to one shot her. Zentress to go next her basic with insta kill him, her second special will instakill him. Her first special is a NS group healing ability that removes buffs. Han has no buffs, Zentress is at full health, and they are the only two toons left. Guess what the AI decides to use...

And Han one shots her will his free turn. The AI for the older toons is a joke. When enough people complain they sometimes change it (like zylo) but generally they don't. It isn't about balance it is about not wasting programming hours (which I completely understand and actually support as I like new content) but it would be nice if the AI got the no brainer decisions right.