When was the last time...

BTBAMthony
179 posts Member
edited December 2017
You farmed characters you actually wanted? Instead of being Strongly encouraged to panic farm for event after event. Or farm for specific characters for Heroic raids, TB’s, TW’s, mod challenges.

Edit: changed “forced” to “Strongly encouraged” due to confusion and poor wording on my part
Post edited by BTBAMthony on

Replies

• It was a long time ago.. in a galaxy far, far away.. Lol
  • You know you can make choices right?
  • Too long, ever since phonix became farmable and hera and ezra came to cantina in the summer, to be more specific. Ever since then I'm chasing some character for an event.

I've wanted sidius since before Thrawn, still have 25 shards of him. I wanted deathtrooper, sith trooper and sith assasin, they all sit at 3 stars still
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    LtGenStu wrote: »
    You know you can make choices right?

Want crystals, good gear, to be competitive? Gotta do well in TB, raids, arenas, etc. How do you do well in those modes? Get the new toons. How do you get the new toons? Used to be planning ahead and having a diverse roster. Now, apparently you have to spend money. Therefore, if you dont spend money, say goodbye to your arena rank and your crystal payouts.
  • LtGenStu wrote: »

Yea, “forced” was poor word choice. “Very Strongly encouraged” probably better
  • Have all of my Cantina farms done for Jedi Training Rey, CLS, Thrawn, and both TB. Gonna start in on Acolyte for NS just because.

First time once ages I’ve farmed a toon I’m actually interested in.
  • Have all of my Cantina farms done for Jedi Training Rey, CLS, Thrawn, and both TB. Gonna start in on Acolyte for NS just because.

First time once ages I’ve farmed a toon I’m actually interested in.

Nice! Congrats! Nightsisters are a lot of fun. Acolyte hits like a truck now. NS were first squad I farmed 2 years ago when I started game.
  • BTBAMthony wrote: »

Yea, “forced” was poor word choice. “Very Strongly encouraged” probably better

I must agree on "strongly encouraged" though :wink:
  • It was a long time ago.. in a galaxy far, far away.. Lol

Lol that’s how I feel
  • I refuse to keep chasing the OP toons they keep throwing out. All 12 of my top toons are dark side. I refuse to let a light side toon into the top tier of my own little pantheon because that's how I want it. I have no problem reaching top 10/20 in arena still (though I used to sit at #1 a lot more). I usually rank in the top 3rd of guild events (all except LSTB).

Certain new toons I get pumped about and chase hard, like KRUM recently. The last one I really cared about was Nihilus. I dropped some money on both of those toons because I wanted them fast, and the fun of using both of them has been worth it.

I passed on Thrawn because I don't want or care about a bunch of characters from a kid's cartoon show I've never watched. I got R2 because I already had empire, though I've used him as 7* rancor bait to tag more than anything. I hate that trash can more than any other toon in th game, especially when he uses his stupid basic and slowly rolls over to give you a little kiss that stuns tou. I passed on CLS. I'm gonna pass on Jedi Rey too.

It's actually quite fun to do your own thing, and it gives, at least me, a specific kind of joy to blow through teams of whales and meta chasers. Plus, something like DSTB comes out, and I'm the only one in my guild ready for it.

Sometimes I wish others threw off the shackles of constantly chasing the next big release no matter what it was, so that there was some diversity in arena, and more interesting strategies in guild events, but I'm fine being the lone contrarian as long as I can stay fairly competitive doing what I want instead of what I'm told. If that ever changes, and I suspect it will, as it is more and more becoming the M.O. for this game, I'll quit, or at least stop playing so often.

There is no chance I'm going to throw my money at every single new toon they put out in a linear progression along with all of the other mindless lemmings. I mean, I feel kind of stupid for even having spent any money on this game ever, given the simplicity of it, but at least I've gotten quite a bit of fun out of the money I've spent.

I can't imagine how taken advantage of I would feel if I were ever to fall for the bait of chasing every single one of these new toons. Most of the people on this forum seem to feel like they're having their lunch money stolen every day. You don't have to do anything. Do what you want, and if the game is so rigged that there's no enjoyment in doing what you want, it's become a pointless money drain like any other addiction, and I am, for the record, addicted to this game like many others. I'm just gonna stick to the "you're gonna have another beer?" type of problem, and try to avoid the "Johnny you have got to stop doing heroin, you're a walking corpse" type of problem.
  • Chased down an empire team for R2, then Phoenix for Thrawn, then New Hope for CLS, then FO for BB8, now smugglers for Rey. The last time I farmed for something that I actually wanted was my Resistance team about 7 months ago. This game is dragging me dowwwnnnn...Time to step away.
  • @Ikenstein86
    Good for you man! Seriously, more power to you. I don’t really spend money on the game either. Occasional crystals for refreshes and that’s it. But yea you are probably missing out on a lot of content. Such as certain mod challenges, TBs and TW. I guess it’s ok. But doesn’t change the encouragement towards at least attempting to keep up.
    You farmed characters you actually wanted? Instead of being forced to panic farm for event after event. Or farm for specific characters for Heroic raids, TB’s, TW’s, mod challenges.

The last time I farmed a charcter I wanted was today. I farmed Magma trooper, amazing for rancor raid, K2so, Mace Windu, Luminara Unduli, and Ezra all because I wanted to. I am around level 54 so I probably do not get all the commotion about jedi rey and tarkin. Patience is a virtue, or you could buy wampa and level him up to 7 stars anf At gear 13 with amazing critical chance mods.
  • Qwvztsf wrote: »
    Chased down an empire team for R2, then Phoenix for Thrawn, then New Hope for CLS, then FO for BB8, now smugglers for Rey. The last time I farmed for something that I actually wanted was my Resistance team about 7 months ago. This game is dragging me dowwwnnnn...Time to step away.

Yea that’s how I’ve felt lately. Idk if I can step away, but I probably should.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    moved to correct sub forum.
  • Monel
    2784 posts Member
    BTBAMthony wrote: »
    You farmed characters you actually wanted? Instead of being forced to panic farm for event after event. Or farm for specific characters for Heroic raids, TB’s, TW’s, mod challenges.

Who were you forced to farm? I am farming the vets because I want JTRey. Do I care about the vets? Not really, but there is no force there. I am farming them to get Rey so in reality this is how I farm Rey.

To answer your question I am farming what I need and what I want right now
  • Yusef wrote: »

The last time I farmed a charcter I wanted was today. I farmed Magma trooper, amazing for rancor raid, K2so, Mace Windu, Luminara Unduli, and Ezra all because I wanted to. I am around level 54 so I probably do not get all the commotion about jedi rey and tarkin. Patience is a virtue, or you could buy wampa and level him up to 7 stars anf At gear 13 with amazing critical chance mods.

Yea wampa looks so good. I would be missing out on so much gear though :/. And yea magma is great. Well good for you man. Glad to see some people are enjoying farming characters they enjoy
  • Monel wrote: »

Who were you forced to farm? I am farming the vets because I want JTRey. Do I care about the vets? Not really, but there is no force there. I am farming them to get Rey so in reality this is how I farm Rey.

To answer your question I am farming what I need and what I want right now

I replied to another comment saying “forced” was the wrong word. “Strongly encouraged” more appropriate.
    @Ikenstein86
    Good for you man! Seriously, more power to you. I don’t really spend money on the game either. Occasional crystals for refreshes and that’s it. But yea you are probably missing out on a lot of content. Such as certain mod challenges, TBs and TW. I guess it’s ok. But doesn’t change the encouragement towards at least attempting to keep up.

Thanks man. I've actually beaten all of the mod challenges except for the jawa one. I didn't mind grabbing easy to farm toons and getting them to g 7 or 8 to improve the ones i actually like.

I actually come out in the top 20 or so in TW both times in a guild that's ranked #84 overall in TW, a game mode I really like, with a deep roster of mediocre throwaway toons on defense and a couple of g12 sith teams on offense. TB is pretty rough for me on LS, which I'm fine with, because DSTB was a blast for me, while the rest of my guildies lamented the position they were in from constantly chasing all of these shiny new LS toons.

I ranted about this enough earlier, but at least for now, the game can still be a lot of fun without having to chase down all of these new toons with requirements that are increasingly stacked against the average f2p or light spender. I just don't see how any bragging rights come along with the claim that you wasted the most money on a mobile game. Doing what you want is a lot more fun because it takes more strategy and resilience. For me, it's been focusing on sith and a few other DS toons, but I have to think the experience could be the same for others.
  • DatBoi wrote: »

Want crystals, good gear, to be competitive? Gotta do well in TB, raids, arenas, etc. How do you do well in those modes? Get the new toons. How do you get the new toons?

I quoted only half of your statement because I felt the second half (although I agree with it) is too easily trollable.

There are different reasons people play this game. To collect, to strategize, to socialize, to set goals, and to be competitive are a few. However, you cant collect unless you use your collection, so to be competitive boosts your ability to collect.

When you are new and you dont know much about the game, there is a feeling that you can go any direction you want and make good progress if you use strategy during battle (by learning kits and kill order etc). But all you have is DS/LS battles to worry about. When you level up you find that there are several modes and now you need more specific farms to be successful.

You will learn that certain toons do certain things. For example: Its not uncommon for new players to level their Jedi Consular for obvious reasons. They will discover that JC terrible in the arena once they are high enough level to enter it. They will also discover the value of ranking high in arena by discovering its the only place that pays crystals out. Youre not quite sure why crystals are the king of currency yet, but you have this feeling they are important somehow.

Now we fast forward a ways. You have learned that in order to strengthen your roster past gear 8, you need lots of gear. Why would you want to go beyond gear 8, anyway? In short: to be social. If you want to be social, join a guild. In order to be in a guild you will be expected to raid. In order help your guild reach maximum payouts you must reach gear 9! To reach gear 9 you need to participate in raids for lootboxes and currency for the guild store. You are also expected to do TW and TB. Now you are beginning to notice that your goals are requiring specific toons. If you help your guild, you feel pressure to farm toons like Hoth Rebel Soldier, Captain Han, Rogue 1 squad, Phoenix squad, and CLS.

The CLS event comes around and you notice that you have 4/5 toons to participate. But unfortunately, your Old Ben is only 5/85 and you only have 2 weeks to farm him. This is the moment you realize the value of crystals. You need CLS so you dont let your peers down. Start panic farming Old Ben! Use crystals to refresh cantina quick!!

This is why being competitive in the arena is important, for crystal payouts to buy refreshes for panic farming. But in order to be competitive in the arena, you should probably have R2, or Thrawn, or GK, or Raid Han. R2 requires a full empire team, Thrawn requires a full Phoenix team, GK and Han require raid teams. Still think leveling up Jedi Counselor is a high priority?

Of course, there is always the prospect of spending money. This is another choice you make as my quote of @datboi indicates. If you choose not to spend, maintaining high arena rank is crucial to reserve the ability to panic farm when needed; which as I said, allows you to be comfortably social in your guild.

If you cant get CLS, thats fine. Just dont expect to be in the highest tier guild. If you arent in a high tier guild, dont expect to keep up in the arena. If you cant keep up in the arena, expect to either spend money or lose your ability to panic farm. If you lose your ability to panic farm, you most likely dont get CLS. Repeat paragraph.
    *as a f2p, you may have gotten lucky and already had a 7* leia, sthan, old ben, sthan and farmboy luke. This however will not be the case with chasing Rey because it requires Vet han and chewie, which were only released 2 weeks ago and you were only officially informed that you need them both from cantina @ 16 energy per node (which you better believe will require lots of crystals)*

So yes, Im aware we are able to make choices in this game. You able to step away at any time, which I am. You are not forced to do anything. The point of any game is to have fun and to be challenged, that is my defintion anyway.
  • @Ikenstein86 ohh I’m jealous. I love the sith. Been wanting to farm the assassin and trooper for soo long. Nightsisters and sith were my favorite from show. Been busy farming so much other stuff so I can get cls/thrawn and other stuff it’s a pain. But yea you are probably right. I might have to start adopting that strategy. Sounds less stressful than my current one
  • @Qwvztsf that was actually really accurate. It’s a pretty good model from a purely business perspective. But it is frustrating from a consumer perspective. In a way though. Being that you have invested time already. And that EA owns the rights to Star Wars. They have created a monopoly within itself. Not much we can do, the only opinion they will listen to is the ones coming collectively from our wallets