Off topic question

I see people referring to Rey as a Mary Sue or that she isn't. My question is what is a mary sue? Because I have never heard of her.

Replies

• moved to "off topic" in 3...2...
  • A Mary Sue is a term for a female character who is unusually capable of doing any task presented to them with little or no struggle. Compare with the male version, Gary Stu.
  • Oh boy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue

But this is a debate that will never end when it comes to Rey.
  • Oh boy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue

But this is a debate that will never end when it comes to Rey.

Thank you. Got it now.
  • A character that picks up skills she shouldn't be able without any sort of orientation or training, and triumphs against more skilled/powerful opponents just because the plot says so.
  • Yeah I didn't hate TFA like a lot of SW fans and I certainly didn't have the visceral negative reaction to it that I had towards the prequels, but one thing that bothers me about the film is that Rey doesn't really struggle and doesn't seem to be flawed. She's just automatically awesome at everything and everyone in the film loves her. She doesn't have the arc that Luke has in ANH or the OT in general. Hopefully they figure out a way to flesh her character out in the next two films to prevent her from being Space Jesus.
    The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
    -Sun Tzu
  • Yeah I didn't hate TFA like a lot of SW fans and I certainly didn't have the visceral negative reaction to it that I had towards the prequels, but one thing that bothers me about the film is that Rey doesn't really struggle and doesn't seem to be flawed. She's just automatically awesome at everything and everyone in the film loves her. She doesn't have the arc that Luke has in ANH or the OT in general. Hopefully they figure out a way to flesh her character out in the next two films to prevent her from being Space Jesus.

Disney probably wanted to make a strong female lead, in their eyes it diversified the galaxy. I do see how Rey is almost perfect, but I can't agree that TFA was better than the prequels. TFA is almost a blow for blow remake of ANH. If I wanted to see ANH, I would put my NH bluray in. The writers could have actual put thought into a script, that is my biggest issue with TFA. I get Disney is going to milk this cash cow known as Star Wars until its dry and then sell the meat, but TFA was ridiculous. I hope they learned something from Rogue One. I believe RO had everything that TFA didn't, strong female lead, that was relatable, diverse cast, not just a the typical action movie. Also, and most important, a plot. RO went somewhere and had a good story line along the way.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Don't get me wrong, I like strong female leads and I think Star Wars was certainly in need of that.

But, we had:

* Rey (TFA) in 2015;
    * Erso (R1) in 2016; and now
    * Versio (BF2) in 2017

I think Disney and star wars generally has gone a bit too far with making a strong female lead - especially in such a short amount of time.

I wonder what the next trilogy will bring? - How about a strong droid lead, lol I don't know but we will probably get some ethnic race lead or even an LGBTQ lead to please the crazy millennial population.
  • Boo wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, I like strong female leads and I think Star Wars was certainly in need of that.

But, we had:

* Rey (TFA) in 2015;
    * Erso (R1) in 2016; and now
    * Versio (BF2) in 2017

I think Disney and star wars generally has gone a bit too far with making a strong female lead - especially in such a short amount of time.

I wonder what the next trilogy will bring? - How about a strong droid lead, lol I don't know but we will probably get some ethnic race lead or even an LGBTQ lead to please the crazy millennial population.

I expect a strong wampa lead.

Realistically, I don't think it matters either way. I would rather just enjoy a movie, then have to worry about how many of a specific group was in. Honestly I feel it continues the stereotypes by demanding that everything has a you fill in the blanks lead.

Disney probably wanted to make a strong female lead, in their eyes it diversified the galaxy. I do see how Rey is almost perfect, but I can't agree that TFA was better than the prequels. TFA is almost a blow for blow remake of ANH. If I wanted to see ANH, I would put my NH bluray in. The writers could have actual put thought into a script, that is my biggest issue with TFA. I get Disney is going to milk this cash cow known as Star Wars until its dry and then sell the meat, but TFA was ridiculous. I hope they learned something from Rogue One. I believe RO had everything that TFA didn't, strong female lead, that was relatable, diverse cast, not just a the typical action movie. Also, and most important, a plot. RO went somewhere and had a good story line along the way.

We'll just have to agree to disagree there!
    The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
    -Sun Tzu

• We'll just have to agree to disagree there![/quote]

That we do agree on. You are entitled to your opinion, your opinion is just wrong. lol. (Just jokin, don't need to be banned. lol)