Please help me to believe in old ben

Prev1
Cethsenpai22
67 posts Member
edited December 2017
I have gk at 5* g8 and it's only a matter of time before I can get him higher up in both areas.

I use old Ben in arena (and in my default gw and ls tb team) with cls lead (ibat zeta), leia, zhan and r2z2. I am being advised to use zariss instead of leia (boo hiss).

I really like old Ben! I like his ability block, I like his understatedness, I like his beard and I like his brown cloak, I like that he's not gk, and I am of an age which means that the original star wars trilogy is particularly significant!

Having said that, I'm not completely kitten, despite what you may be thinking lol

I would love to go all in on him and get him to g12 and zeta'd. But I can't find anyone who would advise that over getting gk up and at em. Surely someone out there can present a good argument as to why he's better than gk?

Help me forum, you're my only hope...?
Post edited by Ambassador on

Replies

• JaggedJ
    1352 posts Member
    If someone can convince you Old Ben is better than GK I will be very surprised.

• Why not both?
  • Go on...
    I had thought that one tank would be enough
  • Old Ben is super good at G12
  • His taunt zeta is amazing.
  • There's a team instinct guy right now running Rex, OB, Barris, Nihlus and CLS and it was the hardest exam I've faced since CLS came out. His turn meter gain was insane and his DN got to Annihilate before my third character got to go. There was no way to debuff him for more than a second and because he didn't have GK giving out crit immunity, I couldn't do any damage and everything I did gave him tons of turn meter. His were all g12 really good speed mods, mine were g12 CLS, thrawn, R2, raid Han and g11 GK. Didn't stand a chance.

Also like the other guy said, running them both is very hard to beat as there's always a taunt up. Can't shut em both up.
  • Sorry, he’s not.

That said, I love him. I run him along with his younger self alongside raid Han, R2, with a Cls(lead) and I’m VERY happy. He’s only gear 9, and although every single one of the toons he has faced off against over the past three months has vastly out-geared him, he has stayed competitive and held his own on my arena team. Funny enough, I don’t consider him the weak link.

His taunt, rebel synergy, and aoe ability block allow him to compete way above his power level on the right team and cls lead seems to fit him perfectly. Mod him for speed and potency with as much offense as you can get (speed more than offense). It sounds weird, I know but, he needs speed most of all as he already has a giant health pool.

Soon, I will be done with the stupid vets and I can focus on gearing OB up to where he should be. Then, look out world (Jedi Rey will be kicking my ****). :D

• snarzenal
    316 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Despite the love I just showed him, get GK up and running as quickly as you can. He is considered by the vast majority as the best in-game Jedi, for a reason.
  • That's all very helpful- thank you!
    I know gk is objectively the best, but I have no connection to him so was hoping for a reason to go Ben, which you have sort of given me.
    Yes I have tried the speed idea, the offence I hadn't thought of, but seems like a good bet too.

• He's not better but use him with Jyn, Cassian, K2 and your choice of Sidious, Mace or FBL. You're welcome.
  • He's not better but use him with Jyn, Cassian, K2 and your choice of Sidious, Mace or FBL. You're welcome.

That's going to take me some time to work out... But you seem confident, so thank you!
  • GK is better, but if you want an argument, it can be that GK is by far the best Rebel tank, which is very helpful on LS TB and of course in arena under CLS he works very well.
  • He's not better than GK, but he's still really good. Just do it.

That's going to take me some time to work out... But you seem confident, so thank you!

Ignore that advice. K2, Sidious, Mace, and FBL are all horrible toons. Jyn and Cassian are just ok. Stick with the meta toons, they are vastly better - CLS, Raid Han, R2, etc.
  • Cethsenpai22
    67 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Having just lost in gw with that suggestion, I am inclined to go with you!
    No offence Krayden_Phogg, I was probably doing it wrong ;)
  • image.png

I'm not going to argue that OB is better than GK but I will suggest that the difference isn't huge. OB is definitely an arena viable tank. This is on an April 2016 shard. If you like OB and his kit, go for it!

• SwiftMooky wrote: »
    He's not better but use him with Jyn, Cassian, K2 and your choice of Sidious, Mace or FBL. You're welcome.

Ignore that advice. K2, Sidious, Mace, and FBL are all horrible toons. Jyn and Cassian are just ok. Stick with the meta toons, they are vastly better - CLS, Raid Han, R2, etc.

I think the suggestion of RO toons is a terrible arena team. But Jyn, Cassian, K2, OB, and a 5th (Chirrut or another Rebel who can debuff) is actually a pretty sweet TB team if you don't have Baze. OB's mind trick under Jyn lead lands tons of great exposes.

Currently I'm still running StHan with Wiggs, R2, DN. Am I hearing right from everyone that really OB is the best rebel tank?
  • I was an stfan but honestly once you go ob you don't go back
  • I run both in my arena team. zQGJ, OB, GK, zHY, Aayla. Just broke top 100. I really like running two tanks. Plus my OB is g12, I can’t drop him at all.
  • People are full of lies whoever said K2 is a horrible toon and Jyn is okay........... (Calm down Creepio you must forgive them for they don't know.)

That being said Rogue one is very Arena Capable just got Rank 5 the other day in a 2 year old arena shard. Using Jyn K2 R2 Cassian Chirrut. For as hard of a farm baze is, I don't think an original R1 team would even work in arena. R2's stealth adds so much protection from CLS counterattack.

Not sure if Old Ben would work in R1 team Can't try it since he's not high enough gear.

But I have seen him in some top teams.
    CLS Han R2 OB Capt Han
    Gk, Barriss, Talzin, OB, Hermit Yoda/Fives/Thrawn/other
    Cls, Han, R2, OB, GK

2 of them require OB and Gk I guess
  • I run a zetad Ben under CLS. With CLS lead zetad, Ben feeds the whole squad TM and wrecks face. Plus his taunt is pretty annoying.

I find that CLS and Han are more than enough damage. I run OB, R2 and GK/STHan with them. Never fails to win on offense, and I don't drop as far as my GK lead did.
  • FgI0122.jpg

pMPtJ6d.png
  • If you give OB his zeta, he is definitely viable in high end arena.

GK could be considered better with his cleanse, lead the charge, and autotaunt, and that he doesnt need a zeta

But if you really like OB, you will need the zeta.
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    While I'm not that high a level old Ben seems to synergies very well with cls.

He is a rebel, they both have turn meter abilities.
  • Ben is very good at G12, I use him over GK in my arena team. His taunt zeta is great and his unique zeta is underrated.
  • Thanks all for the useful tips, I'm going two tanks, and working to two zetas on ob!
  • Look at this :https://swgoh.gg/u/theboss--123x/collection/ that is my old Ben and honestly he is doing super good at what he’s at and honestly you should keep old Ben until gk is at least at gear 9 for arena or 10 it depends.
  • Old Ben is likely to be meta in the future. He is not irrelevant at all. Keep your work on him.
    He's not better but use him with Jyn, Cassian, K2 and your choice of Sidious, Mace or FBL. You're welcome.

@SwiftMooky I'm sorry but who is FBL? All that comes to my mind is Football league?

@SwiftMooky I'm sorry but who is FBL? All that comes to my mind is Football league?

Farm Boy Luke. Not a great toon at all obviously.