What does it mean when all the teams are the same in Arena?

Prev1
I go and look at my shard and the teams all consist of CLS, Raid Han, Thrawn, R2 and GK. I go and look at the meta report and everyone is using those same toons. Looks like diversity is frowned upon in Arena and only overpowered Legendary and Raid characters are being used.

Why is CG not focusing on diversity in their game and only making a few characters overpowered and more viable than the rest?

Replies

• That means the game is designed to steer you and your money in a specific direction.
  • Effect of the power creep. OP toon creates meta, every subsequent toon is created to somehow counter meta.

The problem is that when there's 120+ toons in the game a couple of creeps and metas result in 100+ of them getting left further behind each time.
  • In order to get people to spend money to acquire new characters like CLS, Thrawn, R2, etc., they have to make those characters superior to the others. This leads to there only being one path to being in the top tier in the arena. It's by design.
  • xGriiMErZ wrote: »
    Because diversity does not make THEM money :)

r73VJe3.gif?noredirect
  • Or...you just can be f2p and stop playing the day it all becomes out of control. At least you wouldn't have lost real money in the process. ;)

That day is coming soon me thinks

• You mean to tell me that EA is making overpowered toons so that people feel compelled to buy them? That sounds like someone is more interested in a cash grab than a good game. Certainly EA wouldnt be doing that?
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    There are several other team combinations that could take first place, but fir some reason are simply not as popular or common. Nightsisters f.ex. Either a full NS team, 4 NS + EE or even just MT included in a CLS lead team. A toon can be really great, even if it's not widely used.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Zolaz wrote: »
    You mean to tell me that EA is making overpowered toons so that people feel compelled to buy them? That sounds like someone is more interested in a cash grab than a good game. Certainly EA wouldnt be doing that?

It's called power creep and is a common strategy / bussiness model.
  • Waqui wrote: »
    You mean to tell me that EA is making overpowered toons so that people feel compelled to buy them? That sounds like someone is more interested in a cash grab than a good game. Certainly EA wouldnt be doing that?

But they're known for putting players first, that's why it's ridiculous to suggest they would do anything counter to that.
  • The reason you see that team is because its easy to get, rebel and jedi are the easiest teams to farm up in the game and using cls is a easy choice as he is strong for nothing. Empire teams can do just as good same as nightsisters but these teams are a pain to farm and gear, and resistance also can fight for the top(more so with new rey) but is harder to have than cls teams so less common
  • its means if u can't beat them, join them
  • It means most people are unoriginal and not creative.
  • The hardest to get characters are the best in the game... imagine that. Arena is only 1 part of the game. Feel free to run what you want, but why criticize others for running the characters they worked hard to get?
  • It means most people are unoriginal and not creative.

100% agree
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    snowhut wrote: »
    Waqui wrote: »

But they're known for putting players first, that's why it's ridiculous to suggest they would do anything counter to that.

It's ridiculous to ignore the fact, that power creep is happening. It's clearly the strategy in this game.
  • It's not only the fact that these are powerful characters, but also that these characters work outside specific synergies. You can climb to rank 1 using nightsisters, but you need to focus on that faction with gear and ugrades, and don't get much except just arena. Many players think that it's not worth it, because they have limited supplies.
    Furthermore CLS, R2 and Raid Han can be used where rebels are needed, Raid Han is also a scoundrel, R2 also resistance and droid. Thrawn has a capital ship and fits into any empire squad. Kenobi is a great tank regardsless of the team he's in. These characters are also actually an "easy" farm, and were already powerful upon release, therefore already geared in the past. Same for zBariss and Nihilus.

Diversity is hard to achieve, as there will always be some default to power. You can try otherwise, but that is a risk. Especially if you rely on faction synergies.
    Banthas want to eat me, but I eat back!
  • Anakin_Skywalker
    1801 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    The possible outcome of these complaints is just nerf of cls..I'm afraid
  • xGriiMErZ wrote: »
    Because diversity does not make THEM money :)

Hit that one on the nail head, I play Marvel future fight also and no different there either... seems they only want to push certain characters, usually either somehow a new popular favorite or one who's in a recent movie, but don't get to discouraged lol those who are on top probably have hundreds possibly over a grand put in... for me... I like the challenge of the grind and watching as you get better.
  • caldera wrote: »
    In order to get people to spend money to acquire new characters like CLS, Thrawn, R2, etc., they have to make those characters superior to the others. This leads to there only being one path to being in the top tier in the arena. It's by design.

Perfectly and accurately said... basically if it cost 145 shards or more... well their just called GOD TIER
  • They could get money through entertainment, they chose to frustrate you with overpowered toons and expensive gear instead. Or...you just can be f2p and stop playing the day it all becomes out of control. At least you wouldn't have lost real money in the process. ;)

Well put
  • Zolaz wrote: »

Of course they would... DLC, yeah I could have sworn I bought the whole game the 1st go around lol
  • Mobewan
    702 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    It means most people are unoriginal and not creative.

That is a silly comment.

Its because those are pretty much the most powerful characters when used together.
    You chriticize people for playing the game well with the best available characters.
    And now that Nightsisters have arrived, you will criticize them when they start blocking your progress in arena.
    The developers make characters, and we play the game. Dont tthink your better than others for playing with certain arena team.

Why would i want to play with a "creative team" if it loses me crystals at payout?
  • There are three main squads in my shard. The one mentioned by op, GK-zarris, and aa-hoda. Some people use Rex for lead and drop someone else. There are some nightsisters too. The biggest issue is defense. Most people use one of those three squads so they don't move in arena much. I use CLS, Han, r2, and Wiggs. They take those down easily but they also don't hold you as well as the other squads.
  • Moroveus
    147 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    The imbalance is frustrating, but luckily for me, many of the high-powered characters are characters I would want to use anyway, because I like them (Luke, Thrawn, R2, Han, etc.)
  • Sure seems like the Rebels were given a lot of love. A shame the focus is on plug and play characters composition in the Arena instead of having multiple teams and factions being viable. I guess the plug and play forces people to panic farm and makes more money for the devs. Seems like having a game that is fun to play would be more important and financially viable long term.
  • Y’all dont forget that this only applies to the fraction of the player base who are in the top 50 of their arena.
  • DatBoi wrote: »
    Y’all dont forget that this only applies to the fraction of the player base who are in the top 50 of their arena.

I think it says something about the viable diversity of teams when the top 50 are pretty much the same.
  • While many teams are the same and very common, at least there is room for others. The top 10 of my shard (Dec 2015):

3 General Kenobi
    4 CLS
    1 Rex
    1 KRU
    1 Mother Talzin
    (2 empire teams and a resistance team also in top 30)

At least other teams have a chance, it could be worse (though it could be better too)
  • I don't get the make $ comment here - CLS, Raid Han, GK, Thrawn, and R2 are all free toons given out. Not one of them can even be purchased in packs. Many long-time F2P had CLS farmed day 1. GK / Han are raid farms. R2 and Thrawn events have been around multiple times now...it's so common because it is good and...it's super F2P friendly.