Jedi Training Rey lead up.

NicWester
8928 posts Member
edited December 2017
I'm posting this in feedback so hopefully the General Discussion yahoos don't find it because I'm going to give constructive criticism and they're just going to yell.

Anyway, I think the ball was really dropped with the lead up to Jedi Training Rey, both on a practical and theoretical level.

By theoretical I mean that the event (which hasn't happened yet, obviously) feels kind of like a carbon copy of the Luke event, which is really disappointing. Considering there are so few characters who can realistically qualify for a Hero's Journey style event, each one should be fundamentally unique. Luke's event requiring five characters at 7* made sense because that movie had Luke very clearly at the forefront of almost every part of the movie and characters would come join him on his journey. The Force Awakens was definitely Rey's movie, but it was more of an ensemble with multiple characters getting their own stories. Different characters joined her at different times and were with her to varying degrees. Han Solo was only really important to her in the middle of the movie, towards the end his role shifted more into Kylo Ren's journey. Yet he's still needed at 7* for full completion. There's a Millennium Falcon specifically for this movie, yet it's not needed at all for the event.

Each Hero's Journey should be structurally different. There shouldn't be a one-size-fits-all blueprint for every Journey. Have different requirements and difficulties to compensate.

As to the practical way the lead up to this event was mishandled, basically I feel like money has been left on the table. I started farming both Veterans the day they entered the Cantina and took full advantage of every double drop day, but despite getting slightly better than average drop rates (haven't been keeping careful track, but most days I've gotten 33%+1 shard) I'm nowhere near close enough to get them done in time. There's an excellent bundle for a very good price that I was prepared to buy when it was announced, but haven't because I did the math and saw that I'd still miss the cutoff even if I did. I doubt I'm the only one. I could buy the bundle along with a shipment of crystals--someone said $50 was all I needed--but then I'm paying $80 for a character and as much as I love the kit, love the character, love the movie, and as excited as I was for the event, I'm not paying that much. Mostly because even if I bought that many crystals I would still be beholden to the drop rate and the right shipments showing up in that shop. I'm totally willing to spend a little here and there, I factor this game into my entertainment budget so it means seeing one or two fewer movies a month, is all, but I'm not going to spend $80 and still possibly miss out because I didn't get a good enough drop rate or Chewie kept showing up in the shop the last couple days when I needed Han.

All of this could have been avoided by splitting the two characters into different sources. One in Cantina node, the other in Cantina shop. One in Cantina node, one in Arena if you want to meter progress a little more. Split them up and I almost guarantee more people would have bought the $30 pack--more than enough to make up for the lost crystal revenue. After all, unlocking her is only the first step, then folks need to gear her up and level up her abilities. While I'm sure a lot of us who just bought the pack would stop there and gear her slowly the free way, you'd still have heavy spenders dropping buckets for crystals to get those stun cuffs and stun guns she's likely to need.

I'm not ranting, I'm not making hyperbolic ultimata saying I'll quit over this, nor am I saying that people who pay $0 should have an easy time getting a Hero's Journey character. What I'm saying is that I'll keep farming Han and Chewbacca while the event is going on, keep farming them once it's over, wait until Rey comes back in a couple months and unlock her without paying anything. An opportunity for more revenue was missed with the way the lead up to this event has been handled.
Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.

Replies

• I'm fine with it being the same as luke as they made TFA a carbon copy of ep 4. As for the $$$ $50 could've gotten it done for you if got the promotion and bought them during the 25% bonus. That's about what I'll be at and I'm almost done. Did 5 refreshes a day. I think any fully maxed vet player should have a chance to get any toon f2p but maybe not for heroics. Idk. This is fully a p2p toon and anyone who says they're getting it f2p is either lying or hoarded crystals for months. I can't really say anything about that aspect as I was ready to pay for her. I'm fine with the toon requirements as they make sense but the toon location for vets could've been better. One should've been in a store and that would give f2p vets a chance.