Please remove “pay to win” characters/ships from TB Platoons

Prev1
I’d like to suggest that if any character -OR- ship is unavailable from any area of the game outside of the “Data Cards” section of the Store, there should be a moratorium put on them for inclusion anywhere within Territory Battle Platoons until such time as they appear in an area that is accessible for players without requiring crystals to purchase.

Whether true or not, it’s tactics like this that contribute to the impression that EA simply reeks of predatory business practices... :'(

Replies

• Gul_Ski73
    68 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    I’d like to suggest that if any character -OR- ship is unavailable from any area of the game outside of the “Data Cards” section of the Store, there should be a moratorium put on them for inclusion anywhere within Territory Battle Platoons until such time as they appear in an area that is accessible for players without requiring crystals to purchase.

Whether true or not, it’s tactics like this that contribute to the impression that EA simply reeks of predatory business practices... :'(

Second this... Hermit Yoda/TIE Silencer.. wtk?!?
    Post edited by Kyno on
  • I agree on Tie Silencer but HeYo is farmable for F2P players.
  • Lol, good luck. They know exactly what they're doing to us, and its fully intentional, just another greedy cash-grab. As long as one person is willing to pay to win, EA is willing to screw the rest of us.
  • @DarthBarbie I 100% agree with ya. That should be done. (Hey btw ;) ) lol
    Massive SWGOH Community On Discord - https://discord.gg/QWvTUBZ
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    I was just discussing this some today. Seeing this actually makes me want to spend less not more.
    Why pay for something to just get put in the platoon bench and not get to play with it.
  • A wise lady once said either buy the characters/ships or find people for your guild that have them.
  • @scuba Exactly! It's like buying a Corvette and leaving it in the garage to collect dust. lol
    Massive SWGOH Community On Discord - https://discord.gg/QWvTUBZ
  • Okay, but what if you bought some stuff and then were told you couldn't use it?
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    NicWester wrote: »
    Okay, but what if you bought some stuff and then were told you couldn't use it?

Putting them in platoons is not using them (IMO) which is my point.
    If they are required in platoons you don't get to battle with them.
    Requiring them in platoons if you have them is essentially saying you can't use them.

What is going to entice someone to actually spend for something.
    A. Here is this great character that does all these things however because he is rare you won't get to use him in battles because he will be needed for platoons
    B. Here is this great character that does all these things and will kick kitten in this battle on this team.

My gripe is with platoons overall, I think they are one the kitten-est things that they added to TB, and requiring new characters for them just has my opinion get worse.

They could have done many other things to get these abilities that you get out of platoons that would have been enjoyable but it is like they got to it and said kitten I am sick of making this event let's do this because it is simple and easy.
  • Totally agree. Every other aspect of the game allows you to conquer it with time and toons becoming farmable. This is the benchmark that keeps getting further away. Don't suck this up CG. Worst aspect of the game.
  • scuba wrote: »

Requiring them in platoons if you have them is essentially saying you can't use them.

You can do the battles with anyone, though. Everyone in a guild can beat Combat Mission 2 in middle territory of p4 by using any character.

If you got these rare characters somehow, then ONLY you can finish that platoon. I’m close to unlocking Hermit Yoda because I chose to buy his shards instead of gear. Next time there’s a Light Side TB and I can put him in a platoon I am going to gloat like hell to my friends and lord it over them that I was able to do something they couldn’t and it helped the guild a whole lot.

More importantly, though, don’t act like TBs are the only thing. Yeah, you put your rare character into a platoon so you can’t fight a Combat Mission with them—but you can still use that character in raids, in arena, in galactic war, in events... Territory Battles exist in a vacuum. Put that character in the platoon, be the hero of your guild for being a team player, then go use that character in a raid and be the hero again.
  • "Continue your training I cannot. Go to random ice planet, I must."
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    scuba wrote: »

You can do the battles with anyone, though. Everyone in a guild can beat Combat Mission 2 in middle territory of p4 by using any character.

If you got these rare characters somehow, then ONLY you can finish that platoon. I’m close to unlocking Hermit Yoda because I chose to buy his shards instead of gear. Next time there’s a Light Side TB and I can put him in a platoon I am going to gloat like hell to my friends and lord it over them that I was able to do something they couldn’t and it helped the guild a whole lot.

More importantly, though, don’t act like TBs are the only thing. Yeah, you put your rare character into a platoon so you can’t fight a Combat Mission with them—but you can still use that character in raids, in arena, in galactic war, in events... Territory Battles exist in a vacuum. Put that character in the platoon, be the hero of your guild for being a team player, then go use that character in a raid and be the hero again.

I agree TB are not the only thing however they are becoming the more prominent part of the game and with it suggested TW's is going to get platoons I just see them as bad.

If you actually did something with the platoon characters that would at least be something but you do nothing with them.

If you are happy putting rare characters in platoons more power to you. I would prefer to use them in battles my self.
  • Lol, good luck. They know exactly what they're doing to us, and its fully intentional, just another greedy cash-grab. As long as one person is willing to pay to win, EA is willing to screw the rest of us.

So true.
  • The point of this thread isn’t about Hermit Yoda, or Lobot, or Pao, or even General Kenobi or the Veterans. It’s not about whether or not any character can be used elsewhere. It’s not about lording over your friends that you are able to use Hermit Yoda in a platoon assignment instead of having purchased gear with those event tokens. It’s about “Pay-to-Win” UNOBTAINABLE characters and ships being required in platoons, when they are ONLY available in the game if you spend crystals to purchase them.

It’s about both LS and DS Territory Battle platoons requiring TIE Silencer, First Order SF TIE Fighter, Wicket, Mother Talzin, Kylo (unmasked), etc.

NONE of these ships and characters are available anywhere in the game outside of character packs you have to buy with crystals.

Therefore, they need to be removed from TB Platoons until such time as they are available to obtain in ways that don’t exclusively involve spending crystals on the gambling packs.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    I have no problem with letting people, who spent a lot of cash in this game, have an advantage.
  • Waqui wrote: »
    I have no problem with letting people, who spent a lot of cash in this game, have an advantage.

They already have an advantage in every other area of the game, in every aspect. But this is something entirely different.

It’s not like Territory Battles are akin to legendary events that are only around for a limited window of opportunity and if you don’t pay-to-win and get your shiny the first time around, you can just wait a bit until the event comes back around and then you can earn the same shiny but without having to spend a dime because all the required characters/ships are always farmable at the time the event launches.

With this platoon issue, the required characters and ships are NOT farmable and are ONLY available via pay-to-win. This was the same issue with the last Territory Battle (dark side) and will be the same with the next Territory Battle later this month, and the next, and the next, and the next until such time as the developers deign to place those assets within farmable locales. And what happens when the next new character is released? And the next? Should non-kraken/whale guilds resign themselves to NEVER filling a platoon again, ever?

This issue appears to be contradictory to just about every other mechanic in the game and needs to be addressed as such, since this doesn’t just affect individual players, but entire guilds (i.e., I don’t hurt anyone but myself if I don’t pay $$$ to obtain a new shiny when it’s first released via a legendary event, but my entire guild suffers now if multitudes don’t pay $$$ to obtain non-farmable characters/ships out of the gambling packs).
  • It’s about “Pay-to-Win” UNOBTAINABLE characters and ships being required in platoons, when they are ONLY available in the game if you spend crystals to purchase them.

On my leaderboard there is an Ewok team with zeta Chirpa, 7* Logray, and a 5* Wicket. This guy bought a bunch of Ewok packs over the summer when those characters debuted. Considering they still use that team and that Ewoks were never worldbeaters to begin with, they clearly didn’t pay to win.

So you’re saying that because you and I don’t want to spend money, that guy shouldn’t be allowed to use their Ewoks in platoons for a couple months? There’s folks out there who bought Unmasked Kylo Ren and they don’t get to throw him in because we don’t want to?

It’s a couple platoons. That’s maybe a half million territory points at most. It’s not going to kill us to miss out on a couple platoons.
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    There is no pay to win in this game. Paying advancing things faster no guratee you will win.
  • Really?! Now the ubiquitous term “pay to win” is being nitpicked...? :/ Geezus, it’s a common term to reference things only available in a game to those who pay for it, and you know it. Now, please stop being obtuse.

With regard to NicWester: They can use their pay-to-wtfever toon anywhere in the game that involves the standard single-player mechanic where it doesn’t negatively affect the rest of the guild who have NOT chosen to fork over x-amount of dollars to also obtain that pay-to-wtfever character, such as arena, GW, raids, Territory Wars, fleet arena, etc, etc, etc ad nauseum.

It doesn’t matter if they’re being found in one platoon squad or all 12. That is moot. It should not be included in any platoons, where more than 1 copy of that only-available-via-gambling-packs character is being required of a guild as a whole.
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    Really?! Now the ubiquitous term “pay to win” is being nitpicked...? :/ Geezus, it’s a common term to reference things only available in a game to those who pay for it, and you know it. Now, please stop being obtuse.

With regard to NicWester: They can use their pay-to-wtfever toon anywhere in the game that involves the standard single-player mechanic where it doesn’t negatively affect the rest of the guild who have NOT chosen to fork over x-amount of dollars to also obtain that pay-to-wtfever character, such as arena, GW, raids, Territory Wars, fleet arena, etc, etc, etc ad nauseum.

It doesn’t matter if they’re being found in one platoon squad or all 12. That is moot. It should not be included in any platoons, where more than 1 copy of that only-available-via-gambling-packs character is being required of a guild as a whole.

Maybe to some but not all. just because a term is used commonly doesn't mean it is correct.

I have played games where the only way to win and beat others is to buy stuff (pay to win)

This game is pay to play (p2p) or free to play (f2p). Money only speeds up collecting in this game it does not win.

They already have an advantage in every other area of the game, in every aspect. But this is something entirely different.

It’s not like Territory Battles are akin to legendary events that are only around for a limited window of opportunity and if you don’t pay-to-win and get your shiny the first time around, you can just wait a bit until the event comes back around and then you can earn the same shiny but without having to spend a dime because all the required characters/ships are always farmable at the time the event launches.

With this platoon issue, the required characters and ships are NOT farmable and are ONLY available via pay-to-win. This was the same issue with the last Territory Battle (dark side) and will be the same with the next Territory Battle later this month, and the next, and the next, and the next until such time as the developers deign to place those assets within farmable locales. And what happens when the next new character is released? And the next? Should non-kraken/whale guilds resign themselves to NEVER filling a platoon again, ever?

This issue appears to be contradictory to just about every other mechanic in the game and needs to be addressed as such, since this doesn’t just affect individual players, but entire guilds (i.e., I don’t hurt anyone but myself if I don’t pay $$$ to obtain a new shiny when it’s first released via a legendary event, but my entire guild suffers now if multitudes don’t pay $$$ to obtain non-farmable characters/ships out of the gambling packs).

+ infinity
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    I don't see it changing as event by them adjusting tb and it seems to have gotten more requests for P2P characters in platoons.
    I refuse to buy characters to place in platoons so I look at it as a campaign against purchases. If/when I spend on something I actually want to use it in battles. Again I think platoons period are worst part of TB, take away all the best usable charaters for nothing really (other than to boost usage stats in the background).
    While I don't expect or think everyone should max out everything instantly or immediately (I am fine with not getting max stars), I will not spend money to fill a platoon and again having them as requirements in the majority of platoons make me want to spend less. More and more decisions make me not want to spend.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    I don't mind that paying players have an advantage.

Wow, thank you for restating pretty much the exact same thing you said back on December 11th! I was losing sleep at night wondering whether or not Waqui had changed their mind about “pay-to-wtfever” characters being required in platoons... /whew!!!!111. I’m so happy that you’re totally ok with F2P players, and most guilds, getting shafted for the infinitely foreseeable future!

Me personally, I’d rather stick up for the little guy on THIS issue, since (like I said before) this affects more than just the individual but the entire guild as a whole.

Keep the “whale privilege” contained to the single player areas of the game - Arena, GW, TW, Fleet Arena, Legendary Events, um yeah, pretty much EVERY other aspect of this game.

Once someone else’s decisions to spend or not spend start affecting me and my guildmates’ ability to successfully complete any group-required aspect of the game, that’s where I draw the line. That’s when it stops being a personal choice, and goes into the “coercion under duress” territory. You want to complete that platoon? Well you’d better start buying crystals, and you’d better make sure that at least 20% of your guild does too so you can fill those 10+ platoon positions requiring unfarmable characters! And you’d better keep buying those crystals forever, because at the rate they release new characters, it’ll NEVER END.

But at least everyone can take comfort in the knowledge that Waqui is ok with it! :p

Wow, thank you for restating pretty much the exact same thing you said back on December 11th! I was losing sleep at night wondering whether or not Waqui had changed their mind about “pay-to-wtfever” characters being required in platoons... /whew!!!!111. I’m so happy that you’re totally ok with F2P players, and most guilds, getting shafted for the infinitely foreseeable future!

Me personally, I’d rather stick up for the little guy on THIS issue, since (like I said before) this affects more than just the individual but the entire guild as a whole.

Keep the “whale privilege” contained to the single player areas of the game - Arena, GW, TW, Fleet Arena, Legendary Events, um yeah, pretty much EVERY other aspect of this game.

Once someone else’s decisions to spend or not spend start affecting me and my guildmates’ ability to successfully complete any group-required aspect of the game, that’s where I draw the line. That’s when it stops being a personal choice, and goes into the “coercion under duress” territory. You want to complete that platoon? Well you’d better start buying crystals, and you’d better make sure that at least 20% of your guild does too so you can fill those 10+ platoon positions requiring unfarmable characters! And you’d better keep buying those crystals forever, because at the rate they release new characters, it’ll NEVER END.

But at least everyone can take comfort in the knowledge that Waqui is ok with it! :p

Preach. Seems to me it’s utter rubbish to require ships/characters no one can get the moment they’re released. It’s already ridiculous trying to recruit quality guild members (people who get close to 600 tickets, can understand 24 hour rule, and at least have a roster better than a CW Chewie lead), are we going to need to implement a “Weekly spending minimum” into all the other requirements (Minimum GP, Cap Han, HAAT teams, Col. Starcke, CLS, etc)?

So if I'm understanding it right u are upset that u don't pay for stuff and that stuff will become free stuff eventually but they should listen to u despite u adding totally nothing to the cost associated w the game? Also U actually posted about it wow
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    The point of this thread isn’t about Hermit Yoda, or Lobot, or Pao, or even General Kenobi or the Veterans. It’s not about whether or not any character can be used elsewhere. It’s not about lording over your friends that you are able to use Hermit Yoda in a platoon assignment instead of having purchased gear with those event tokens. It’s about “Pay-to-Win” UNOBTAINABLE characters and ships being required in platoons, when they are ONLY availlable in the game if you spend crystals to purchase them.

To be able to spend 300 crystals a day to buy rare shards from shipments/packs and still buy 1 energy refresh to collect your daily 600 raid tickets all it takes is to rank 20th in both fleet and squad arenas and to finish all dailies. Not at all unobtainable as F2P. If on top of that you consider TB rewards and various gifts from CG you will have even more crystals to spend. In a guild of 50 players you could organise your shard purchases to have a diverse roster of the hard to obtain (NOT unobtainable) toons like KRU, Tie silencer, MT etc. Not many guilds do this but they all could, if they wanted to.

I'm fine with seeing rare toons in platoons.
  • Naw
    969 posts Member

So if I'm understanding it right

You are not. Good luck with your future attempts at understanding.

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member

Once someone else’s decisions to spend or not spend start affecting me and my guildmates’ ability to successfully complete any group-required aspect of the game, that’s where I draw the line.

Why shouldn't whales also benefit from being in a strong guild? You and I benefit from gathering forces with others at our level. Why shouldn't they? It's not like you're not able to fill a single platoon, if you're not in a whale guild. It's just that you won't be able to fill all platoons. I'm happy with filling 2 platoons in each area of phase 6. Let the whales have their fun with their 6 platoons.

And yes, it's still a personal choice wether you want to help organise your efforts in the guild to farm rare toons or not. And if 'not' then it's a personal choice wether you stay in your guild or leave them to find a new guild which is organised/strong enough for your ambitions in the game.

I'm sure, you will enjoy your game far more by accepting the fact that whales and well—organised guilds have an advantage over you. But yet again that's also a personal choice, my dear @DarthBarbie.