Star Wars: The Last Jedi Spoiler thread

Replies

  • Boo
    3379 posts Member
    Perhaps this thread should be closed?
  • Ruark_Icefire
    291 posts Member
    edited February 7
    This sums up the last jedi

    2v205lkcnq0d.jpg

    Well it isn't actually true that you would freeze and die instantly in space. You have about 15-20 seconds of usable consciousness and it takes about 1 minute before you suffer any permanent damage.

    As for the freezing part it actually takes you a long time(hours) to freeze in space because it is a vacuum which means that there is no heat loss through convection. The only way you lose heat is through radiation which is a slow process. If you were in the sunlight then you would actually cook rather than freeze.
  • This sums up the last jedi

    2v205lkcnq0d.jpg

    Well it isn't actually true that you would freeze and die instantly in space. You have about 15-20 seconds of usable consciousness and it takes about 1 minute before you suffer any permanent damage.

    As for the freezing part it actually takes you a long time(hours) to freeze in space because it is a vacuum which means that there is no heat loss through convection. The only way you lose heat is through radiation which is a slow process. If you were in the sunlight then you would actually cook rather than freeze.

    No. I was watching a video with an astronaut on youtube, he was saying that if you were to remove your space suit (also depending on distance from the star) one side of you would instantly burn and the other would freeze, your lungs would collapse instantly and your blood would boil. So according to one of NASA's own astronauts, you would indeed instantly die.
  • EA_Rtas
    86 posts EA Moderator
    This sums up the last jedi

    2v205lkcnq0d.jpg

    Well it isn't actually true that you would freeze and die instantly in space. You have about 15-20 seconds of usable consciousness and it takes about 1 minute before you suffer any permanent damage.

    As for the freezing part it actually takes you a long time(hours) to freeze in space because it is a vacuum which means that there is no heat loss through convection. The only way you lose heat is through radiation which is a slow process. If you were in the sunlight then you would actually cook rather than freeze.

    No. I was watching a video with an astronaut on youtube, he was saying that if you were to remove your space suit (also depending on distance from the star) one side of you would instantly burn and the other would freeze, your lungs would collapse instantly and your blood would boil. So according to one of NASA's own astronauts, you would indeed instantly die.

    Your blood boiling comes from the lack of pressure in space reducing the boiling point of your blood. But your point does make sense, I always felt that the leia scene was to demonstrate her strength in the force to heal herself while in a perilous situation.
  • EA_Rtas wrote: »
    This sums up the last jedi

    2v205lkcnq0d.jpg

    Well it isn't actually true that you would freeze and die instantly in space. You have about 15-20 seconds of usable consciousness and it takes about 1 minute before you suffer any permanent damage.

    As for the freezing part it actually takes you a long time(hours) to freeze in space because it is a vacuum which means that there is no heat loss through convection. The only way you lose heat is through radiation which is a slow process. If you were in the sunlight then you would actually cook rather than freeze.

    No. I was watching a video with an astronaut on youtube, he was saying that if you were to remove your space suit (also depending on distance from the star) one side of you would instantly burn and the other would freeze, your lungs would collapse instantly and your blood would boil. So according to one of NASA's own astronauts, you would indeed instantly die.

    Your blood boiling comes from the lack of pressure in space reducing the boiling point of your blood. But your point does make sense, I always felt that the leia scene was to demonstrate her strength in the force to heal herself while in a perilous situation.

    There are so many better ways to show that Luke was training Leia for a brief period of time. Honestly, it would've been better to have killed Leia off, but in a more honorable death. That would make things more tidy due to Carrie Fishers passing.
  • leef
    10942 posts Member
    edited February 8
    EA_Rtas wrote: »
    This sums up the last jedi

    2v205lkcnq0d.jpg

    Well it isn't actually true that you would freeze and die instantly in space. You have about 15-20 seconds of usable consciousness and it takes about 1 minute before you suffer any permanent damage.

    As for the freezing part it actually takes you a long time(hours) to freeze in space because it is a vacuum which means that there is no heat loss through convection. The only way you lose heat is through radiation which is a slow process. If you were in the sunlight then you would actually cook rather than freeze.

    No. I was watching a video with an astronaut on youtube, he was saying that if you were to remove your space suit (also depending on distance from the star) one side of you would instantly burn and the other would freeze, your lungs would collapse instantly and your blood would boil. So according to one of NASA's own astronauts, you would indeed instantly die.

    Your blood boiling comes from the lack of pressure in space reducing the boiling point of your blood. But your point does make sense, I always felt that the leia scene was to demonstrate her strength in the force to heal herself while in a perilous situation.

    There are so many better ways to show that Luke was training Leia for a brief period of time. Honestly, it would've been better to have killed Leia off, but in a more honorable death. That would make things more tidy due to Carrie Fishers passing.

    didn't she pass away after the movie was released though? nvm, google
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • leef wrote: »
    EA_Rtas wrote: »
    This sums up the last jedi

    2v205lkcnq0d.jpg

    Well it isn't actually true that you would freeze and die instantly in space. You have about 15-20 seconds of usable consciousness and it takes about 1 minute before you suffer any permanent damage.

    As for the freezing part it actually takes you a long time(hours) to freeze in space because it is a vacuum which means that there is no heat loss through convection. The only way you lose heat is through radiation which is a slow process. If you were in the sunlight then you would actually cook rather than freeze.

    No. I was watching a video with an astronaut on youtube, he was saying that if you were to remove your space suit (also depending on distance from the star) one side of you would instantly burn and the other would freeze, your lungs would collapse instantly and your blood would boil. So according to one of NASA's own astronauts, you would indeed instantly die.

    Your blood boiling comes from the lack of pressure in space reducing the boiling point of your blood. But your point does make sense, I always felt that the leia scene was to demonstrate her strength in the force to heal herself while in a perilous situation.

    There are so many better ways to show that Luke was training Leia for a brief period of time. Honestly, it would've been better to have killed Leia off, but in a more honorable death. That would make things more tidy due to Carrie Fishers passing.

    didn't she pass away after the movie was released though? nvm, google

    I was referring more to episode 9 and the recycled footage that will be used to portrait the character one last time. I was hoping that they would tastefully end the character in 8.
  • Ruark_Icefire
    291 posts Member
    edited February 8
    This sums up the last jedi

    2v205lkcnq0d.jpg

    Well it isn't actually true that you would freeze and die instantly in space. You have about 15-20 seconds of usable consciousness and it takes about 1 minute before you suffer any permanent damage.

    As for the freezing part it actually takes you a long time(hours) to freeze in space because it is a vacuum which means that there is no heat loss through convection. The only way you lose heat is through radiation which is a slow process. If you were in the sunlight then you would actually cook rather than freeze.

    No. I was watching a video with an astronaut on youtube, he was saying that if you were to remove your space suit (also depending on distance from the star) one side of you would instantly burn and the other would freeze, your lungs would collapse instantly and your blood would boil. So according to one of NASA's own astronauts, you would indeed instantly die.

    Well he obviously doesn't know what he is talking about then.

    https://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2012/08/how-would-you-die-in-outer-space.html
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/survival-in-space-unprotected-possible/
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2007/08/can-you-survive-in-space-without-a-spacesuit.html

    Just because he is an astronaut doesn't mean he actually knows what happens since he obviously hasn't experienced it himself.

    It takes about 90 seconds to die.
  • This sums up the last jedi

    2v205lkcnq0d.jpg

    Well it isn't actually true that you would freeze and die instantly in space. You have about 15-20 seconds of usable consciousness and it takes about 1 minute before you suffer any permanent damage.

    As for the freezing part it actually takes you a long time(hours) to freeze in space because it is a vacuum which means that there is no heat loss through convection. The only way you lose heat is through radiation which is a slow process. If you were in the sunlight then you would actually cook rather than freeze.

    No. I was watching a video with an astronaut on youtube, he was saying that if you were to remove your space suit (also depending on distance from the star) one side of you would instantly burn and the other would freeze, your lungs would collapse instantly and your blood would boil. So according to one of NASA's own astronauts, you would indeed instantly die.

    Well he obviously doesn't know what he is talking about then.

    https://www.realclearscience.com/blog/2012/08/how-would-you-die-in-outer-space.html
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/survival-in-space-unprotected-possible/
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2007/08/can-you-survive-in-space-without-a-spacesuit.html

    Just because he is an astronaut doesn't mean he actually knows what happens since he obviously hasn't experienced it himself.

    It takes about 90 seconds to die.


    this is the video I watched. Realistically, whether it is instantaneous or 90 seconds, dead is dead.
  • Funny that this thread is still going - but all the plot issues and arguments aside, the real problem is that TLJ is just a boring movie. It's possible to explain away a lot of the plot issues, but at the end of the day the movie just isn't that entertaining.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • kalidor wrote: »
    Funny that this thread is still going - but all the plot issues and arguments aside, the real problem is that TLJ is just a boring movie. It's possible to explain away a lot of the plot issues, but at the end of the day the movie just isn't that entertaining.

    I did enjoy the last 30 minutes, for what it was worth.
  • Boo
    3379 posts Member
    kalidor wrote: »
    Funny that this thread is still going - but all the plot issues and arguments aside, the real problem is that TLJ is just a boring movie. It's possible to explain away a lot of the plot issues, but at the end of the day the movie just isn't that entertaining.

    There's quite a few plot issues that really cannot be explained away, its a terrible star wars movie and you are right - a boring one at that.

  • Boo wrote: »
    kalidor wrote: »
    Funny that this thread is still going - but all the plot issues and arguments aside, the real problem is that TLJ is just a boring movie. It's possible to explain away a lot of the plot issues, but at the end of the day the movie just isn't that entertaining.

    There's quite a few plot issues that really cannot be explained away, its a terrible star wars movie and you are right - a boring one at that.

    List again?
  • Much like the major plot issues in each Star Wars movie. But hey. Confirmation bias, right?

    ;)
  • Boo
    3379 posts Member
    LordDirt wrote: »
    Boo wrote: »
    kalidor wrote: »
    Funny that this thread is still going - but all the plot issues and arguments aside, the real problem is that TLJ is just a boring movie. It's possible to explain away a lot of the plot issues, but at the end of the day the movie just isn't that entertaining.

    There's quite a few plot issues that really cannot be explained away, its a terrible star wars movie and you are right - a boring one at that.

    List again?

    * Luke will save a murdering sith lord father but is happy to think of murdering his innocent nephew
    * Leia Poppins
    * Snoke's existence - no back story where he came from at all
    * Rey's power is that of the light to balance Kylo of the dark - if the force could balance itself this way, what was the point of Anakin's prophecy? Furthermore, Kylo continues to struggle with the light and to stay dark, so how dark is he? Yet Rey can flirt with the darkside and is never touched or damaged by it at all.
    * Rey is a Mary Sue - Yet the power of Anakin's prophecy was explained, as is with Luke - both Anakin and Luke had multiple failings, where Rey has 0.
    * Rey remains very much "untrained" yet she seemingly does anything she wants with no training apparently required.
    * Holdo Maneuver is certainly lore breaking.
    * Holdo keeping plan of action (allowing multiple Resistance ships and personnel perish for no reason. While keeping Poe in the dark for no good reason.
    * Canto-Bite plot line is absolutely pointless to the story.
    * Master code breaker is not hired - only guy for the job! But hey, they found another guy just like that.
    * Tracking through Hyperspace - stated as impossible, but then quickly accepted.

    There is more I am sure, these are just off the top of my head.
  • Boo
    3379 posts Member
    Vendi1983 wrote: »
    Much like the major plot issues in each Star Wars movie. But hey. Confirmation bias, right?

    ;)

    What are the major plot issues with the other movies? I can think of a few collectively, but not as many as in TLJ alone.

    I'd like to hear your list on that.
Sign In or Register to comment.