Territory Wars is terribly broken by desing flaw... developers please fix it!

Armatores
248 posts Member
edited December 2017
Territiry wars is best game mode for now, its clever and fun. Key idea, that drives this mode, its competition between players. But at the moment this key idea is NOT working, and yes, I'm talking about idle players. Each battle we have about one third of roster, who registering in TW and then do nothing, they not assigning defence teams, not attack either. Reasons for that is different, maybe someone really busy in his life, and someone just want to get nice rewards just pressing one button. But despite reasons, this is killing main idea of TW - its not competition between active players who wants to win, its competition bettwen IDLE players! Guild with least amount of those will win. And this problem not only killing TW, its ground of instability in guild, when active part of players starts to blame idle players, and quarrels and ragequitting begin.

Maybe someone will say - ok, this is your guild management fault, but I will say - NO, its a game mode desing flaw. We cannot foresight what will happen in our life, and quantity of idle players is always unpredictable.

Luckily, this flaw can be easily fixed. What I offer - at TW registration day, player must not only choose to participate, but then choose his role in next dialog window - active or passive. Then registration complete. Also, player must be able to change his role from passive to active and otherwise until reristration phase end.

If you choose active role, nothing is changes. You play TW as usual. But if you choose passive role, then guild leader and officers can access your roster and assing your squads to defence slots. This is will remove idle players problem completely. No need use idle players roster in attack, just in defence. Or, passive players roster can be auto-assing in defence slots, but this is less likeable (while time-saving for officers).

Guys, please support me with it, write down your thought about, with your help TW can be fixed and starts be enjoyable for active players!

Replies

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    So the design is flawed because players don't participate?
    I don't care much for your sollution either. I'm sorry, i can't support this idea.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    I find GW terribly flawed because it starts from the premisse: If you HAVE more, you DESERVE more. This rigorous, relentless application of the Matthew-principle permeates the game but in this game mode, it is more apparent than ever.

There is no reason to think that smaller guilds, or newer guilds, need (or deserve) Zeta mats less than older ones. Performance is secondary, what really matters is, like with TB's, how much STUFF you possess.
  • Options
    If a member doesn't deploy at least 1 defence squad, they don't get rewards if they join but don't participate.
  • Options
    I like the principal of the idea.

But the easier answer is just boot the people from your guild who aren't pulling their weight and recruit better
  • Options
    When someone registers and can't even find the time to go full defense then sorry, they are just dead weight for your guild. Especially if they do it repeatedly. Just kick them. We are a casual guild with a few dedicated players and haven't encountered this problem at all.
  • Options
    Agree with the other replies. This is not a problem with the game mode. This is a problem with your guild management. You need to weed out the noncontributors. Either that or accept that you have noncontributors in your guild and you will perform accordingly.
  • Options
    So, If my guild member suddenly catch a cold, and have high temperature, of his relatives in big troubles, I must kick him for that? What robots are you guys? Its a life, and this is just a game, and good game design mean that real-life problems must have minimum influence on important game features.
  • Options
    Armatores wrote: »
    So, If my guild member suddenly catch a cold, and have high temperature, of his relatives in big troubles, I must kick him for that? What robots are you guys? Its a life, and this is just a game, and good game design mean that real-life problems must have minimum influence on important game features.

If your guild member "catches a cold" as you say, will he get rewards from other areas of the game if he doesn't participate?

His arena rank will drop, same with fleet, he'll miss on raid rewards, etc. Life happens and that's nobody's fault, but you can't possibly think that the game will make mechanics for someone else to be able to manage a person's roster, that's just dellusional.
  • Options
    I say the bigger flaw isn't guild participation but the requirements for 25 minimum which punishises low level guild's. If your guild has less than 30 mil gp that minimum should be 15 players and the squads can be 3v3 instead of 5v5.
  • Options
    Moved to Feedback > guilds
    "I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar." ~ Hoban Washburne
  • Fredbob
    22 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

You said in your OP that it was a third of your guild so surely they're not all suddenly ill at once?

Edit: forum ate my post, thanks.. But yeah they're more likely inactives and you'll just need to find a way to politely nudge them to play ball :)
  • Options
    When TB was introduced with 12 hours cycle, players points that they cannot participate cos they have to work and sleep. And developers didn't answer on this - well, kick those sleepers and workers, they actually listened to player base and changed format to 24 hours. This is why I posting it. Cos developers listen and trying to create friendly environment for everybody. While maybe in your guild is not a big problem yet, but you will see with time how less and less pplz in your guild will be active in TW. If feature helps active players be more independent from idle players this is great. If feature helps solute organization problems its great feature.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    When TB was introduced with 12 hours cycle, players points that they cannot participate cos they have to work and sleep. And developers didn't answer on this - well, kick those sleepers and workers, they actually listened to player base and changed format to 24 hours. This is why I posting it. Cos developers listen and trying to create friendly environment for everybody. While maybe in your guild is not a big problem yet, but you will see with time how less and less pplz in your guild will be active in TW. If feature helps active players be more independent from idle players this is great. If feature helps solute organization problems its great feature.

The fact that the devs listen to their playerbase doesn't mean i agree with what you want the devs to listen to.
    I simply disagree that this is a problem with the game, or flawed design if you will. It's a 24 hour window in TW, so players from all time zones have the oppertunity to participate. That's pretty much all there is to it, giving the players a reasonable window of oppertunity to participate.
    If you're unsure about being able to participate and don't want to hurt your guild? just opt out. TW gives the oppertunity to not participate without hurting your guild directly.
    Furtermore, i don't like your sollution for this non-issue either. It's not really fixing the problem. If a guildmember, to no fault of his own, is suddenly not able to participate, you're still one member short. Letting officers manage TW roster from idle members is not desirable either, nor is auto-assinging.
    It's just not a great idea no matter how you look at it to solve an issue that doesn't need solving in the first place. Not playing daily slows down progression, as it should. If you're in a guild where participation isn't required, you're probably not that fanatic anyway so it doesn't really matter if you lose TW. On the flipside, you might even win because the other guild doesn't have max participation either.

Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    Maybe leader gets to determine minimum number of points combined def and attack before rewards are available per player? Ie 50 pts in attack/def before u get your zetas? Could be minimum of 10 to a max needed of 50?
  • Options
    @Armatores --- the TW game design already takes into account that people may not always be able to play. This is the reason that we have to OPT IN to territory wars. If your guild mates have a busy schedule when a TW starts, tell them not to opt in.

The match making is based on "active GP" of those that opt in, so it gives you less squads to fill per territory to make up for this player deficit.

this sounds like an internal guild problem if you have a third of your guild failing to participate after opting in.
  • Options
    My guild is at 30/50 with just 25-26m beat all 3 guilds with 50/50 with 35 m pretty easy. Our record now is 3-0. I kept my guild at peak activity and I kick out anyone who don't pull in much weight.. Also, we coordinated strategy very well every time for maximizing points.. So it makes sense for small, lean, high active, better managed guild to beat big, inefficient, poorly managed, less active guild regardless of their GP. Right? I love TW because of quality matters more than quantity..

We missed TW just once due to 24 registered and 24 hours time expired. :( But we had gotten more new members (now 39/50) to solve that 24-hour time registration limit to ensure that we do not miss any more TWs..
    Nocifer Deathblade
    Leader and Founder of The Dread Masters