What is Star Wars for You?

2Next

Replies

• All canon and KoTOR
    I never read any of the EU so I don't know about how it would affect my answer.
  • All canon
    Chagoth wrote: »
    Seriously though. What do I really consider canon? Anything Disney says is canon. And as bad as some think the new trilogy is (and I'm not happy with it), it can't be worse than Attack of the Clones, the EU, and Ewoks.

I heard some of the EU is really dumb. Although I can’t give my opinion cause I never got into the EU
  • Something else
    I own just about every EU(Legends) novel that takes place after the first star wars movie let's say 50-60 books and while yes there are a few phantom menaces more often than not they are fantastic books the legends timeline is my Star Wars
  • Zevox wrote: »
    As in, what would I want to consider my preferred version of Star Wars?

The Original Trilogy + Rogue One + select Expanded Universe novels + some of the Clone Wars cartoon + KotOR.

For all its faults, I find the old EU preferable as a continuation of the series to the new films, so taking it over them. Definitely cut off the EU at least after the New Jedi Order series, possibly at that, though. Probably there's some post-RotJ but pre-NJO stories I could do without, but I'm not taking the time to go over them all and make a list. Definitely keep the Thrawn Trilogy, X-Wing series, and Hand of Thrawn Duology, which were the best of the EU.

As for the Clone Wars cartoon, it's the only prequel-era thing I'm fine with much of, but would omit at least the Jar-Jar based episodes, as well as the whole Father/Son/Daughter plotline, which was a mess in its own right and, worse, linked in to one of the worst post-NJO novel series.

I like this
  • Darthpedro wrote: »
    I own just about every EU(Legends) novel that takes place after the first star wars movie let's say 50-60 books and while yes there are a few phantom menaces more often than not they are fantastic books the legends timeline is my Star Wars

Wow. The EU is almost 100% suck. At least canon SW movies hit 33% of their shots. And with Clone Wars and Rebels added to the mix, the EU is getting it's butt kicked pretty badly.
  • Something else
    All Canon Except the sequel trilogy, thats what matters to me personally. The new movies are just terrible
  • Zaraos wrote: »
    All Canon Except the sequel trilogy, thats what matters to me personally. The new movies are just terrible

I get it. But more terrible than the prequels?!? That's absurd.
  • All canon and KoTOR
    Zaraos wrote: »

Many people like prequels more than the sequel, including me. So not absurd.
  • Fürkész wrote: »

Very absurd. I haven't seen TLJ but TFA, in spite of it's problems, was well-directed and well-acted, something that cannot be said for the prequels. ANH was just as badly directed as the prequels, by the way. If it wasn't for the performances of Cushing and Guiness along with superb editing, we would only remember Star Wars as a failed attempt at something big. As it is we now have many bad Star Wars films instead of one bad one.
  • All canon and KoTOR
    @Chagoth

Yeah Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor are horrible actors /s

Not everybody likes JJ lensflare
    Daisy Ridley can't act well, and her only part before Star Wars was a naked corpse; hardly any acting history. Not a fan. Huge fan of prequels.

There was plenty good acting in ANH besides those two. Harrison ford didn't exactly struggle for work after wards.

It's fine to have opinions, but don't treat them as indisputable facts. It is presumptive and pretentious.
  • All canon and KoTOR
    Fürkész wrote: »

Very absurd. I haven't seen TLJ but TFA, in spite of it's problems, was well-directed and well-acted, something that cannot be said for the prequels. ANH was just as badly directed as the prequels, by the way. If it wasn't for the performances of Cushing and Guiness along with superb editing, we would only remember Star Wars as a failed attempt at something big. As it is we now have many bad Star Wars films instead of one bad one.

OK. When you have seen TLJ also then we can talk about it again. When I saw that movie it was somewhere in the middle on my list of the SW movies, but later when more and more I thought about it and the annoying things inside it quickly went to the last place.
  • @Chagoth

Yeah Liam Neeson and Ewan McGregor are horrible actors /s

Not everybody likes JJ lensflare
    Daisy Ridley can't act well, and her only part before Star Wars was a naked corpse; hardly any acting history. Not a fan. Huge fan of prequels.

There was plenty good acting in ANH besides those two. Harrison ford didn't exactly struggle for work after wards.

It's fine to have opinions, but don't treat them as indisputable facts. It is presumptive and pretentious.

Pathetic. I never said they were bad actors. I said the prequels had poor acting which is generally a result of poor directing. The fact that good actors acted poorly in the film is all you need to know about how bad the prequels are and how bad Lucas is as a director. And Ford getting more work after Star Wars is a pretty poor case for defending his acting. He's pretty terrible in ANH though not as bad as Fisher and Hamill. It is an indisputable fact that every Lucas-directed SW film is poorly directed. If you can't see it, that isn't my problem.

I'm laughing that you think lensfares are poor directing. Giggle.
  • All canon and KoTOR
    Yeah JJ Abrams is incredibly overrated, and TFA is awful. TLJ was slightly better in my view but they are my two least favorite Star Wars films as well.

Prequels are great if you can mute Hayden Christiansen every time he come on
    Two Time Golden Poo Award Winner
  • Something else
    Everything. All of it. Especially the old Expanded Universe (Thrawn Trilogy & the rest). The Movies, the TV series. The books, comics. RPGs (WEG's d6-based first). Video games (like X-Wing), board games. Anything.
  • Something else
    The only things I consider canon are the first Star Wars movie (IV), Episode I, Episode III, the first 2 seasons of The Clone Wars, the first 3 episodes of the 2nd season of Rebels, and The Last Jedi. Everything else is complete nonsense.

That’s pretty strict of what is canon for you

Unlike Chagoth I actually wish we could delete the new trilogy from canon because of how it has sodomized the force and the character of Luke Skywalker.

Luke is at least 1000x better in the last Jedi than he ever was anywhere else

Are you kidding me?
    HE DOESN'T EVEN FIGHT.

TLJ version of Luke is the antithesis of OT Luke. Everything important about the character has completely flip flopped in this film. Now, let it be said that I would have been totally fine with the character arc Luke has in this film, except that it was Luke's arc. Luke's character has already been established in three movies, and then this one comes out and fundamentally changes everything about the character. Mark Hamill said he disagreed with Johnson on everything about Luke, but Johnson didn't heed that wisdom despite Hamill knowing Luke better than anyone and despite Hamill being far more in touch with fans and knowing how fans felt about Luke. It's ok to break from expectaions, but not like this. #notmyskywalker

What is better: Whiney "uncle owen, can I go to toshe station to pick up some power converters?" Luke from ep. 4, or "See you around, kid" luke from TLJ?
  • Something else
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Everything. All of it. Especially the old Expanded Universe (Thrawn Trilogy & the rest). The Movies, the TV series. The books, comics. RPGs (WEG's d6-based first). Video games (like X-Wing), board games. Anything.

Thats what I am talking about. A real hardcore SW fan. ;)
  • All canon and KoTOR
    EPEKKA wrote: »
    The only things I consider canon are the first Star Wars movie (IV), Episode I, Episode III, the first 2 seasons of The Clone Wars, the first 3 episodes of the 2nd season of Rebels, and The Last Jedi. Everything else is complete nonsense.

That’s pretty strict of what is canon for you

Unlike Chagoth I actually wish we could delete the new trilogy from canon because of how it has sodomized the force and the character of Luke Skywalker.

Luke is at least 1000x better in the last Jedi than he ever was anywhere else

Are you kidding me?
    HE DOESN'T EVEN FIGHT.

TLJ version of Luke is the antithesis of OT Luke. Everything important about the character has completely flip flopped in this film. Now, let it be said that I would have been totally fine with the character arc Luke has in this film, except that it was Luke's arc. Luke's character has already been established in three movies, and then this one comes out and fundamentally changes everything about the character. Mark Hamill said he disagreed with Johnson on everything about Luke, but Johnson didn't heed that wisdom despite Hamill knowing Luke better than anyone and despite Hamill being far more in touch with fans and knowing how fans felt about Luke. It's ok to break from expectaions, but not like this. #notmyskywalker

What is better: Whiney "uncle owen, can I go to toshe station to pick up some power converters?" Luke from ep. 4, or "See you around, kid" luke from TLJ?

The whiney orphan, for me.
    Can we rotate out the Moderators?