Who would win?

Jedi_Bane
311 posts Member
edited December 2017
The galactic Empire VS the reapers (mass effect)

The empire vs the covenant

The covenant vs the reapers
Post edited by Jedi_Bane on

Replies

• DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Is the covenant something from halo? And idk what reapers are; the name is used throughout fiction
  • The Covenant
  • I'm not familiar with Halo lore, so I'll only try to answer the first one.

Essentially, the Reapers would absolutely destroy the Empire. It would be an absolute massacre.

The Empire's tactics in most situations are 'overwhelm them with sheer numbers'. They had probably billions of Stormtroopers and hundreds of thousands of Star Destroyers. That's pretty much precisely what the Reapers have designed themselves to fight.

They displayed this perfectly in the final space battle of ME3 where the entire space forces of the galaxy went up against a few hundred Reaper capital ships... and the Reapers won. You can't try to overwhelm them in space with sheer numbers, that's the tactic they want you to try because they know it's futile.

And, in terms of ground battles, it's not difficult. The Empire does not have a strong presence in the Outer Rim, so the Reapers would just go there, convert the populace into huge numbers of ground forces, then roll over the rest of the Galaxy.

Pretty much the only hope of the Empire would be their love of superweapons. If they managed to create one to fight the Reapers before the entire galaxy was lost, they'd have a chance. Not a good one, but a chance.

Essentially, the Reapers would absolutely destroy the Empire. It would be an absolute massacre.

The Empire's tactics in most situations are 'overwhelm them with sheer numbers'. They had probably billions of Stormtroopers and hundreds of thousands of Star Destroyers. That's pretty much precisely what the Reapers have designed themselves to fight.

They displayed this perfectly in the final space battle of ME3 where the entire space forces of the galaxy went up against a few hundred Reaper capital ships... and the Reapers won. You can't try to overwhelm them in space with sheer numbers, that's the tactic they want you to try because they know it's futile.

And, in terms of ground battles, it's not difficult. The Empire does not have a strong presence in the Outer Rim, so the Reapers would just go there, convert the populace into huge numbers of ground forces, then roll over the rest of the Galaxy.

Pretty much the only hope of the Empire would be their love of superweapons. If they managed to create one to fight the Reapers before the entire galaxy was lost, they'd have a chance. Not a good one, but a chance.

Yeah but Palpatine has unlimited power.

Good point. I don't think Reapers have any sort of defence against The Senate.

"Dew it."

"Dew it."

"Have you ever heard the story of Darth Plagueis the wise?"

*Multiple kilometre tall Harbinger tilts slightly, crumbling multiple buildings and causing a minor earthquake, to look at him*

"No..."

"Dew it."

"Have you ever heard the story of Darth Plagueis the wise?"

*Multiple kilometre tall Harbinger tilts slightly, crumbling multiple buildings and causing a minor earthquake, to look at him*

"No..."

Everything is proceeding exactly as I have foreseen it!

Pretty sure an average star destroyer has more firepower than a reaper
  • Kevern_Zaksor
    894 posts Member
    edited December 2017
    Well, I can't really comment on the Reapers or the Covenant as I never really got into either series. But I will comment on how the Empire functions as a military.

The Empire is a large beuracratic organization with poor security, mostly poor leadership and poorly trained troops. They're good at seizing territory due to their overwhelming numbers and firepower but their ability to wage COIN (Counter-insurgency) warfare is lacking.

Their security is shown to be poor in numerous examples, specifically Rogue 1- how does a freighter stolen from the research facility on Eadu (spelling?) not immediately get flagged as suspicious when going through the checkpoint at Scarrif? The Empire's communication and security apparatus failed miserably there. Later, Obi-wan is able to disable the tractor beam holding the Millenium Falcon on the Death Star without inputting any security codes (I know they let them escape because they wanted to track the rebels to their base, but still). Numerous examples of R2 getting information from computers shows poor **** (why is c y b e r censored?) security.

Leadership- the most effective leaders in the Empire (Palpy, Vader) mostly rule through fear. This creates a toxic work environment which is not conducive to risk-taking or improvisation. Most of the officers we see fail at their tasks, with the exception of Veers. The Empire fails to exploit the poorly planned and executed defense of Hoth. To dip into the EU a bit, one of the best leaders in the Empire, Thrawn, displays great tactical genius but due to institutional racism/speciesism he is not utilized to his full potential.

I think we all can conjur up examples of how poorly trained Stormtroopers are. In rogue 1 we see them failing to conduct COIN operations in Jeddha. We also see how ambition and an obsession with completing the Death Star on the part of Tarkin blinds him to the obvious motive of Galen Erso to sabotage the Death Star.

The Empire's size and beaurocratic nature create an environment that lacks imagination and empathy, and this, coupled with the same traits in its leaders (including Palpatine), leads them to underestimate Rebel forces in their various worlds. This finally leads to its destruction at the hand of teddy bears on the forest moon of Endor.

I haven't watched TCW or Rebels so maybe there are more examples there that help explain the Empire's strengths and weaknesses. Feel free to add to the above or challenge my brief summary.
    Post edited by Kevern_Zaksor on
    The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
    -Sun Tzu
  • When you only know Star Wars lore
  • When you only know Star Wars lore

Well I know a lot of LotR and Star Trek lore but haven't really gotten into those games. If he had asked about the Protoss I could probably weigh in.
    The field of battle is like the mongoose. Slow to joviality, but thirsty for morning sunshine.
    -Sun Tzu
  • Jedi_Bane wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with Halo lore, so I'll only try to answer the first one.

An average Star Destroyer utilises lots of relatively small weapons to overwhelm enemies. This is exactly what the Reapers are perfected to counter.

In ME, it was consistently shown that a Reaper simply will not die if you just shoot it with millions of small weapons, such as when Sovereign was destroyed in ME1. Even with the majority of an Alliance fleet firing at it, with its shields knocked out by Shepard's actions, it took one massive blast from the Normandy to finally destroy it.

Now, imagine a group of Star Destroyers taking on a Reaper. Lots and lots of turbo-laser fire that simply gets soaked by the shields, while the Reaper either lasers them to death, or just flies over to each one and tears them apart with it's arms.

However, a single Star Destroyer with some sort of miniaturised Death Star tech could probably take down a Reaper. As shown in ME2 with the derelict Reaper, a single blast from a big enough gun takes them out pretty handily.
  • Jedi_Bane wrote: »
    I'm not familiar with Halo lore, so I'll only try to answer the first one.

An average Star Destroyer utilises lots of relatively small weapons to overwhelm enemies. This is exactly what the Reapers are perfected to counter.

In ME, it was consistently shown that a Reaper simply will not die if you just shoot it with millions of small weapons, such as when Sovereign was destroyed in ME1. Even with the majority of an Alliance fleet firing at it, with its shields knocked out by Shepard's actions, it took one massive blast from the Normandy to finally destroy it.

Now, imagine a group of Star Destroyers taking on a Reaper. Lots and lots of turbo-laser fire that simply gets soaked by the shields, while the Reaper either lasers them to death, or just flies over to each one and tears them apart with it's arms.

However, a single Star Destroyer with some sort of miniaturised Death Star tech could probably take down a Reaper. As shown in ME2 with the derelict Reaper, a single blast from a big enough gun takes them out pretty handily.

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Dreadnought
    http://www.stardestroyer.net/tlc/Power/

Lots to read through but it clearly (at least through fan knowledge) shows a star destroyer has substantially more firepower than mass effect dreadnought. Even requiring 4 dreadnoughts to kill a reaper capital ship, a star destroyer could rip a reaper apart
  • The answer to all of your questions is: Chuck Norris wins.