Need a little newbie help here

Replies

• Liath
    5140 posts Member
    amaze122 wrote: »
    @Liath, You are just a depository of information, you are really into every aspect of this game. How long have you been playing, and what other games like this do you play (WoW, etc)?

I started playing at the tail end of August '16, so a bit over 16 months. The only other mobile game I've played for any length of time that's similar is Final Fantasy Record Keeper, which I finally dropped a couple months ago. Never played WoW or any MMO (I don't do subscription services), but I've played a number of console RPGs (FF, Diablo, Baldur's Gate kind of stuff).
  • I fought, bit and clawed my way to a 44 Squad Rank. I go to bed, and when I awake, I am level 78! Again I fight and get to 63. This time there was a reset period, so I wait that out and come back, I am level #121! WTH!?

Apparently, the computer is fighting my battles for me, when I am not, and doing a P___ poor Job at it!
    Just to see what it was like I played a squad battle on auto, and sure enough, the computer played as though it was Trying to lose. There is a Technique to this, you have to know when to hit with what and you Have to know when to switch the person being attacked...

Is there some setting to stop this inept computer from Ruining all my hard-earned scores?
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    I fought, bit and clawed my way to a 44 Squad Rank. I go to bed, and when I awake, I am level 78! Again I fight and get to 63. This time there was a reset period, so I wait that out and come back, I am level #121! WTH!?

Apparently, the computer is fighting my battles for me, when I am not, and doing a P___ poor Job at it!
    Just to see what it was like I played a squad battle on auto, and sure enough, the computer played as though it was Trying to lose. There is a Technique to this, you have to know when to hit with what and you Have to know when to switch the person being attacked...

Is there some setting to stop this inept computer from Ruining all my hard-earned scores?

The AI is pretty bad. There's nothing you can do about it (although it's slightly better at running some teams than others). Any time somebody attacks you, the computer is playing your team. However, you benefit from the other side of that - when you attack somebody else, the AI plays for them, and you benefit from that poor AI, making it easier for you to beat a team that might otherwise be stronger. Everybody gets knocked back in arena. The important thing, if you can, is to try to climb shortly before your payout time so that payout happens when you're at your highest rank. Falling in the next 23 or so hours before you climb again is just part of the game, unless you want to spend a bunch of crystals to keep climbing all day long (which I don't recommend).
  • Kozispoon
    3245 posts EA Staff (retired)
    edited January 2018
    Hiya,
    While I'm almost certain you've been outfitted with all the helpful tips and tricks in this gloriously glutted thread, I'm just gonna sliiide this link right on over hurr.
    e28810b6690b3c3c38608af83a3c5844314ca1ef_00.gif
    NEW PLAYER INDEX
    Thank you for your patience 8D Forum Guidelines
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    @CG_Kozispoon, you are right kind sir, doing a "details" search on the folder that I saved the link to, it shows that I was given that link on Dec 28th just past, which also was my birthday, though I don't talk about that much nowadays (not when I have had This many, heheh).

@Liath I am strictly a pc single player kinda guy. I started on Playstation though, playing the NBA '97 (and '98, '99, etc.) and Madden football stuff. The funny this is though I love computer sports play, in Real life, I barely even know the rules for football and only watch basketball when it is in front of me and I am a captive audience. The sport that I love in Real life has always been tennis, (which I Do know how to play, but just barely) and I also love playing tennis on the computer, though I haven't in Years.

On those Squad Arena fights; how do I tell when my payout time is? And if it helps, at the top of my Squad Arena screen in the "Prizes" category right now it is saying: 20h 26m left....

Edit: I just noticed something; there is a timer going the whole time you are fighting, in Squad battles! This must be how the game decides if a battle is a draw if the timer runs out, then that is the decision?
    Post edited by amaze122 on
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    On those Squad Arena fights; how do I tell when my payout time is? And if it helps, at the top of my Squad Arena screen in the "Prizes" category right now it is saying: 20h 26m left....

Edit: I just noticed something; there is a timer going the whole time you are fighting, in Squad battles! This must be how the game decides if a battle is a draw if the timer runs out, then that is the decision?
    Your pay out is when the prizes tick down to zero.

Yes the timer counts down to zero and it's a draw.
  • amaze122 wrote: »
    So I was encouraged to quit a Guild where I participated in Raids and where I collected loot when the Raid was over (a "Tier 2-02 prize box, I believe it was called...), to join a Guild where I am told "try Phoenix squad and focus on getting that first 7* so you can participate"?

I just do not know what to say...

Just pmed you. Apologies for late response have been busy at work.

Lower level players don't often get the opportunity to join a high level guilds because they will be essentally carrying you at the beginning. You will be doing little work and getting good returns. You got in because I lobbied hard for you because you seem enthusiastic and good fun.

Get a character up to 7* asap. Put him/her in raids. Do next to no work and pick up big returns. Returns that most at your level don't have access to.

• This Rey character is unbeatable! She is worse than Lando, she goes through my whole squad, and when i try to target her, someone else taunts and draws my fire until her work is done.... >:)
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    This Rey character is unbeatable! She is worse than Lando, she goes through my whole squad, and when i try to target her, someone else taunts and draws my fire until her work is done.... >:)

Someone like chopper might suit you well as he can take positive effects off the other team. So can Ezra. Old Ben or boba can inflict ability block which stops them using specials like taunt.

Zen can stagger or stun and dooku can stun. Royal Guard can stun.

What I'm saying is that you need a strategy for something like this happening to either take the taunt off and kill the damage dealer or to slow the tank so you can kill the damage dealer before he taunts or slow the damage dealer so they can do much damage during the taunt.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    This Rey character is unbeatable! She is worse than Lando, she goes through my whole squad, and when i try to target her, someone else taunts and draws my fire until her work is done.... >:)

Yes, Scavenger Rey seems pretty crazy at lower levels. There are huge numbers of "nerf Rey" threads here from a couple years ago, and it's something of a running joke these days. People on Android who bought gift cards the last couple of months got her as a prize, so you are likely to see a higher than usual amount of her for a newer shard. Eventually she falls out of usefulness because all she brings is damage and the utility other characters have becomes more important. She's also very squishy, though, so if you have a way to dispel the taunts and get to her, she dies quickly.
  • @Naraic well I have Chopper, but none of those others you mentioned, so I am going to go ahead and level him up, take him off the bench, and send him in there, and see if he can save me! What is the highest gear level that he absolutely has to be, to be effective? And in terms of fighting power, is raising gear level more important or raising level of stars?

@Liath, when I read what you wrote, I went to Google, and yeah I see what you mean, what a fantastic deal, a 7star character just for buying a gift card, with money on it that you can then spend anywhere, so basically the Rey and bonuses are just free!

Offer ended Dec. 31st though. Anything else like that anywhere on the Internet that you know of? Or in the in-game data card store?
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Gear is always more important than stars in terms of the effectiveness of a character, and that is particularly true for tank (and tank-like? lol) characters. Stars primarily matter for gated content, like raids (and territory battles and legendary events) in which you can only use characters if they meet a certain star level.

I don't know of there ever having been a deal similar to the Rey one. There have been certain giveaway characters before that depended on platform, but they didn't involve buying gift cards or anything. But I'm f2p so I don't pay a huge amount of attention to that kind of thing.

Not sure where you live. AFAIK the promotion is still live in the US, but I guess a bunch of other countries ended it in December. https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/136739/google-gift-card-promotion
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    @Naraic well I have Chopper, but none of those others you mentioned, so I am going to go ahead and level him up, take him off the bench, and send him in there, and see if he can save me! What is the highest gear level that he absolutely has to be, to be effective? And in terms of fighting power, is raising gear level more important or raising level of stars?

There's a bunch of others with similar abilities. I know you don't like chopper.

Gear and stars are both important. Gear is usually more important for defensive stats and stars for offense I think but that's rough.
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    @Naraic well I detest him actually, LoL, but it would be crazy to farm when I already have someone who you say fits the bill, especially when I am already farming others.

I recently noticed that IG-86 only takes 15 shards to promote! And I just finished beating that battle, (Battle 4-E, Cantina Holotable), so I am going to try to make this my first 7* (the others I was aiming for are taking too long).

@Liath, there will probably Never be a deal as great as that one, well, not This year anyway, or until they come out with another movie maybe?

On another note, I just won All of my mod battles! I now Finally see the advantage of this Guild, almost everyone is level 85 or so, and there is No Way I could have finished those mod battles without their (many), "borrowed" characters, so yeah, I get it now... B)

Edit: Now if I can just figure out how in the heck I am supposed to use Mods. I was looking for that helper lady to pop up, like when I first started the game, the one who resembles Hera, to guide me or something, but...Nothing!
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    @Naraic well I detest him actually, LoL, but it would be crazy to farm when I already have someone who you say fits the bill, especially when I am already farming others.

I recently noticed that IG-86 only takes 15 shards to promote! And I just finished beating that battle, (Battle 4-E, Cantina Holotable), so I am going to try to make this my first 7* (the others I was aiming for are taking too long).

Thats to promote him to 2 star. It will take 25 more to promote to 3 star 30 more for 4 star and so on. Every character is 350 shards to 7 star.
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    @Naraic I Knew that was too good to be true!

@Anyone, I just got promoted to level 50, but I am all out of training droids. I see in the "Store" under "Resources" that for 109 crystals I can buy "10x Tier 5 Training Droids", which are all 5-star droids. All of my old training droids were either 3,2, or 1 stars. I remember winning some 4-star droids in GW, but I never saw them when it came time to use them.

If I purchase these 5-star droids, will they train my characters Better than the old 3,2, and 1-star droids?
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    @Anyone, I just got promoted to level 50, but I am all out of training droids. I see in the "Store" under "Resources" that for 109 crystals I can buy "10x Tier 5 Training Droids", which are all 5-star droids. All of my old training droids were either 3,2, or 1 stars. I remember winning some 4-star droids in GW, but I never saw them when it came time to use them.

If I purchase these 5-star droids, will they train my characters Better than the old 3,2, and 1-star droids?
    Yes. Be aware that you should not have shortage of these.

Are you doing the highest tier of the training droid challenges the maximum amount 3 days a week and the training droid heist under event whennit appears (every 6 to 12 days).

1 star droids do 30 xp a pop 6 star do 6,000 xp a pop. All others are in between somewhere.
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    @Naraic, I just finished doing the training droid challenge recently, and yes, I always do the highest tier only of All of the Gear challenges, after seeing a post by someone on the importance of that.

So far I have not seen a 6-star droid even in the Store, maybe when I am a higher level?

Edit: @Liath, I just realized that I have finished all Except the last two of my Mod Battles, may I borrow a character?
  • Just used your character Liath, "Commander Cody" got the job done!

Only one battle to go, but have to wait for Cantina energy reset...
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Naraic wrote: »

Thats to promote him to 2 star. It will take 25 more to promote to 3 star 30 more for 4 star and so on. Every character is 350 shards to 7 star.

330. But yes, this. It doesn't matter what star a character unlocks at, it will always take the same number of total shards to get them 7*.

Edit: @Liath, I just realized that I have finished all Except the last two of my Mod Battles, may I borrow a character?

I can't make my character show up for you, but I can install a particular character on cantina that you want to use.
  • TVF
    36489 posts Member
    Please don't purchase training droids. Waste of resources. You'll be swimming in them later.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Just used your character Liath, "Commander Cody" got the job done!

Only one battle to go, but have to wait for Cantina energy reset...

Commander Luke? I hope? My Cody is 3* g2 so I don't think he would have gotten any job done!! Lol.

Though I'm pretty sure I have Finn installed on cantina (which wouldn't help you very much most likely) so maybe it just wasn't mine.
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    @Naraic, I just finished doing the training droid challenge recently, and yes, I always do the highest tier only of All of the Gear challenges, after seeing a post by someone on the importance of that.

So far I have not seen a 6-star droid even in the Store, maybe when I am a higher level?

It's probably a later tier of the training droid challenge. Or possibly the training droid heist event. I just took an example to show the difference between different training droids.

Do you do all the challenges the maximum amount of times each day?

I'm just trying to figure out how you are running short on the droids. I've always had way too much without buying them. Wish I could trade them in for credits somewhere actually.
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    @Liath I made a point to look at the name above the character because in the past I did not know who lent me what character and so I was trying to change that situation. So It was probably Commander Luke, but definitely your character, thanks!...

By the way, you do know that I was talking about Mod Battles, right? Which use Cantina Energy I know, but I thought that they were different from Cantina Battles; I know they certainly are a Lot harder!

Edit: Oh and by the way everyone I too am Very surprised, this is the first time that I have run out of training droids, but then again look at how fast I have been leveling up lately, playing day and night as it were, heck a couple of posts ago I was bragging about being level 47, now I am level 50, and almost level 51 (probably going to hit that tonight)...
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    Edit: Oh and by the way everyone I too am Very surprised, this is the first time that I have run out of training droids, but then again look at how fast I have been leveling up lately, playing day and night as it were, heck a couple of posts ago I was bragging about being level 47, now I am level 50, and almost level 51 (probably going to hit that tonight)...

Most of us run out of credits to level up our characters before we run out pf droids.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member

By the way, you do know that I was talking about Mod Battles, right? Which use Cantina Energy I know, but I thought that they were different from Cantina Battles; I know they certainly are a Lot harder!

Yeah, I was assuming that they used the same character as regular cantina, although I don't actually know that for sure. I can't remember the last time I did a mod battle, lol - I know I didn't have Luke then! Once you are able to do the mod challenges, that's where you want to get your mods from. The mod battles are really just for unlocking the challenges.
  • @Naraic, I just checked, I am running out of money too...

I was just told to "sign up for the territory war"; but I can't find anything like that... I think it is probably above my level.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    I think it's level 65 to participate in Territory War.
  • I'm fighting one of the longest battles ever, making Brilliant maneuvers against a much better foe, when I destroy all but one of his men, with Four of mine left standing. I reach eagerly to deliver the Killing Blow.... And the stupid game calls a Draw! WTH!?

I would have changed rank from #81 to #70! I swear when it comes to Squad Battles, this game is out to get me...
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    I'm fighting one of the longest battles ever, making Brilliant maneuvers against a much better foe, when I destroy all but one of his men, with Four of mine left standing. I reach eagerly to deliver the Killing Blow.... And the **** game calls a Draw! WTH!?

I would have changed rank from #81 to #70! I swear when it comes to Squad Battles, this game is out to get me...

5 minute time outs. You need to knock them out not just lead.