Need a little newbie help here

Replies

• Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    amaze122 wrote: »
    I know that at Midnight the Cantina and the Light and Dark Battles reset so that a refresh only costs me 50 Crystals, right?

I forget, do they only reset Once per day?

Yes once a day
  • amaze122 wrote: »
    I know that at Midnight the Cantina and the Light and Dark Battles reset so that a refresh only costs me 50 Crystals, right?

I forget, do they only reset Once per day?

That is your "Daily Reset." Pretty much everything changes over at that time: GW refresh becomes available, stores change inventory, new Challenges, Arena/Fleet matches available go back to 5, crystal costs go back to base, hard nodes back to 5/5 available, ect.
  • Thank you that information was Very helpful.. And thorough. B)
  • Sunnie1978
    2937 posts Moderator
    New post for you listing out reoccurring events. Says characters and levels required, as well as reccommended gear levels https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/154696/reoccurring-events-and-characters-required-index/p1?new=1
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    :o Thank you @Sunnie1978; this game just keeps getting bigger and bigger!

How EA games expected everyone to play this on their 5x4 inch cell phone screens while waiting at the Doctor's office or for an elevator I will never know! :o
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    I am about to win my Fleet Battle, with two ships to his one, and that one badly damaged, when out of his Capital Ship comes a whole Swarm of ships, about two hundred they looked to be, and totally Destroyed my two ships!

WTH was that; I have not seen that in the entire week I have been doing Fleet!.

I went by the Fleet Power that was reported, and his was Much lower than mine, plus I am level 63 now and he was level 61, so How did he have a capability like That?!

I am beginning to suspect something about this game; when I could not enhance anything, I was winning battles handily, no problem. Now that I have begun enhancing and promoting my ships, the game is adjusting also, and it is a Struggle to win a battle now, in Fleet and in Squad Battles!

The more I put into my ships, the tougher the competition gets; the more I promote my Squad members, the more "Stars" my Squad Arena opponents start showing up with; I cannot Find a Squad Arena battle now where All of my enemies do not have Six Stars (And "double purple rings" around them)....

I think this is built in, to keep one frustrated enough to where engaging their bank account becomes the option... >:)

Edt: Where can one find shards for Rey (Jedi Training), and why does it take 330 shards just to activate the character; does she activate at 7*?
    Post edited by amaze122 on
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Ah yes I see it now. The reason that I started out winning in Fleet and am losing now is because of the "Fleet Power-Up Bundles" being heavily promoted right now over in the Data Store.

Once again I am left floundering in the surf on my little, improvised skiff while the Whales roar by in their Luxury Cruisers, With 50MM Cannons blazing!

In the Squad Arena, the reason that my last ten opponents were all heavily reinforced Phoenix Teams is because of a similar effect, that of the "Phoenix Squadron" Data Cards being pushed in the Store, for those Whales with $99.99 or so floating adrift in their pockets, enabling them to Purchase the Entire Team and then head out to the Arena... and Own it.

[img][/img]LEajIMZ.jpg

Edit: At least One of these players, "TheAmericanExpress" is owning up to it, although in a very tongue-in-cheek manner, by the very name that he has chosen, when decapitating others in the Arena with his purchased advantages...
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    I am about to win my Fleet Battle, with two ships to his one, and that one badly damaged, when out of his Capital Ship comes a whole Swarm of ships, about two hundred they looked to be, and totally Destroyed my two ships!

WTH was that; I have not seen that in the entire week I have been doing Fleet!.

That's Tarkin's capital ship's ability, Imperial Assault. It starts on cooldown but if you don't win quickly enough, it will activate and has a good chance of wiping out all of your ships.

I am beginning to suspect something about this game; when I could not enhance anything, I was winning battles handily, no problem. Now that I have begun enhancing and promoting my ships, the game is adjusting also, and it is a Struggle to win a battle now, in Fleet and in Squad Battles!

That's not how arena works. The teams you see are the actual teams of the people on your leaderboard, who all started around the same time you did, and have been working on their characters and ships just as you are. You see whoever happens to be at the ranks you have access to seeing. So it's not the game adjusting, it's the people around you progressing.

Edt: Where can one find shards for Rey (Jedi Training), and why does it take 330 shards just to activate the character; does she activate at 7*?

Rey (Jedi Training) and Commander Luke Skywalker are Hero's Journey characters. They can only be obtained from their special events, and yes, they unlock at 7*. The events are similar to legendary events (by which you unlock R2, Thrawn, etc.), but they require specific characters all at 7* to complete. For Rey, you need Finn, Veteran Han, Veteran Chewie, BB8, and Scavenger Rey. BB8 is a legendary event requiring First Order to unlock.
  • @Liath, Thanks for the Rey and CLS info. :)
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member

In the Squad Arena, the reason that my last ten opponents were all heavily reinforced Phoenix Teams is because of a similar effect, that of the "Phoenix Squadron" Data Cards being pushed in the Store, for those Whales with $99.99 or so floating adrift in their pockets, enabling them to Purchase the Entire Team and then head out to the Arena... and Own it.

[img][/img]LEajIMZ.jpg
    Unless you see 7 star phoenix I would expect that these teams came by their phoenix through farming. There has been plenty of time for someone with a farming strategy to have a team with 4-6 star phoenix.
  • Sunnie1978
    2937 posts Moderator
    Here is a thread with the list of recurring event toons, what the requirements are and what they open at
    . There are two toons that open at 7*, Jedi Training Rey and Commander Luke Skywalker.https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/154696/reoccurring-events-and-characters-required-index/p1?new=1
  • Sorry but I think you’re quite sorely mistaken about whales. If they were really whales, those squads are more likely to be full 7* by now and they won’t be swimming in the top 200s.
    Just pause and think for a moment, even as a F2P player, most of these people have probably been ranked higher than you from the start of day 1, earning more crystals, buying more refreshes, leading to more characters being farmed, and following a focused plan(I.e. farming full Phoenix Squad) while you were mucking about farming random characters at the start. What makes you think that you should be progressing at a faster rate than these people? You’re going to find that the higher you climb, the harder it is to breach this divide.
  • "Unless you see 7 star phoenix I would expect that these teams came by their phoenix through farming. There has been plenty of time for someone with a farming strategy to have a team with 4-6 star phoenix.

@Naraic, I hate to argue the point old buddy, but I have only been playing since December 26th, a little over three weeks. If these people started when I did, since they are at my same level in Squad Arena, I hardly think that is enough time to farm a complete Phoenix Team of Five and Six Star members... B)

Remember you don't come into the game knowing Anything about Phoenix, Rebel, or whatever, it takes time to reach the level of understanding about this game that you have. I would say that it takes At Least a week to just get your bearings, see what is going on, try to assimilate all of the advice that you are bound to receive, and get into a Guild.

It then takes at least another week or more just to promote the characters that you start the game with into Squad Arena capable fighters, so that you can begin using them to earn from Cantina, Light and Dark, and GW.

And somewhere in the middle of that three Weeks, you are Also able to farm a Five to Six star Phoenix Team?

Yeah, right... B) If Only it were that easy
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member

Remember you don't come into the game knowing Anything about Phoenix, Rebel, or whatever, it takes time to reach the level of understanding about this game that you have. I would say that it takes At Least a week to just get your bearings, see what is going on, try to assimilate all of the advice that you are bound to receive, and get into a Guild.

A lot of experienced players make alt accounts. Those people don't have a learning curve because they've already been playing and know exactly what their plan is going to be going in. Others are just experienced gamers and do a lot of research right away when picking up a game, or they ask for advice and actually follow it. If you go back to the beginning of this thread you will see a lot of advice that you resisted, that the people you are seeing in arena may have listened to right away.
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    "Unless you see 7 star phoenix I would expect that these teams came by their phoenix through farming. There has been plenty of time for someone with a farming strategy to have a team with 4-6 star phoenix.

@Naraic, I hate to argue the point old buddy, but I have only been playing since December 26th, a little over three weeks. If these people started when I did, since they are at my same level in Squad Arena, I hardly think that is enough time to farm a complete Phoenix Team of Five and Six Star members... B)

It then takes at least another week or more just to promote the characters that you start the game with into Squad Arena capable fighters, so that you can begin using them to earn from Cantina, Light and Dark, and GW.

And somewhere in the middle of that three Weeks, you are Also able to farm a Five to Six star Phoenix Team?

Yeah, right... B) If Only it were that easy

First off people can and do make alt accounts. Second people can and do read guides prior to starting. These people have no seven stars it's definitely not unreasonable to say that these are f2p players who followed a plan not whales.

If they had all seven stars maybe whales but without they are either whales with no idea about the game or f2p playing smart.
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    @Liath, trust me I have visited the beginning of this thread several times and I indeed noticed how I could have benefited from some of the earlier advice. But the "resistance" that you mentioned was actually a total lack of comprehension, on my part, nothing else.

This game was a totally new concept for me, and I was immediately inundated with ideas and strategies given to me from the viewpoint of Expert level players, who as you said
    "didn't have a learning curve because they'd already been playing and knew exactly what the plan should be, going in."

I did not, and I think that I have done Amazingly well in the short time that I have had.

In just three weeks;

I have one 7*, two 6*, and Six 5* characters, and Seven characters at Gear Level 7.

I have one member of a Phoenix team at 5*, and 7 members of a Rebel team. I have two members of a Scoundrel team at 4* or better, with Lando only 30 shards away from activation.

In the middle of that I have managed to achieve a 4* Vader, a 5* Mace Windu, and a 4* Luminara Unduli who I cannot even Afford to promote because I have run out of money And training droids (again :) ).

We won't even mention the Six ships and Three Capital Vessels that I have managed to acquire and somehow find time to battle ferociously for the resources to promote most of them to 2* and first Four levels of Crew Power apiece...

So rather than "resisting" I think that I have been doing rather well with the advice given to me in the short time that I have had to try to make some understanding of it all. I am sorry that I was not the super adaptive student that you are obviously usually used to, but... I am managing.
  • @Naraic, a long time ago in this thread someone suggested that I look into alt accounts. I think that it is time to revisit that advice, now that I see how important it actually was...

Who knew? B)
  • amaze122 wrote: »
    @Naraic, a long time ago in this thread someone suggested that I look into alt accounts. I think that it is time to revisit that advice, now that I see how important it actually was...

Who knew? B)

Yep, you now have a rough idea about the game. It’s time for you to look into alt accounts/rerolling. Please revisit the link I gave you before, Adaptive F2P guide and the 2.0 version.
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    @Naraic, a long time ago in this thread someone suggested that I look into alt accounts. I think that it is time to revisit that advice, now that I see how important it actually was...

Who knew? B)

Look lets be honest. It's a game and you are having fun. It's upto you what you want to do and what your goal is. If you want to compete at the highest levels you need an element of min/maxing planning and single mindedness to produce a team that works well together.

I originally started playing on one account playing an hour or two a week for ages. That account sucks i started a new one rather than try to fix that one up properly.

It's ranked about 3k in arena and interestingly yesterday I checked and found it went down in rank. It's upto you how you play and what level you want to focus at.
  • As you know, I check this thread daily to see how you are progressing. I only have one one piece of advice which is based on an old proverb. "we have 2 ears and only one mouth. Listen twice as hard as you speak". In the case of all the advice offered, read twice before asking another question.
  • Liath and Naraic are offering you the golden goose in terms of progression and development. Many newbies don't have that luxury.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    @Liath, trust me I have visited the beginning of this thread several times and I indeed noticed how I could have benefited from some of the earlier advice. But the "resistance" that you mentioned was actually a total lack of comprehension, on my part, nothing else.

This game was a totally new concept for me, and I was immediately inundated with ideas and strategies given to me from the viewpoint of Expert level players, who as you said
    "didn't have a learning curve because they'd already been playing and knew exactly what the plan should be, going in."

I did not, and I think that I have done Amazingly well in the short time that I have had.

In just three weeks;

I have one 7*, two 6*, and Six 5* characters, and Seven characters at Gear Level 7.

I have one member of a Phoenix team at 5*, and 7 members of a Rebel team. I have two members of a Scoundrel team at 4* or better, with Lando only 30 shards away from activation.

In the middle of that I have managed to achieve a 4* Vader, a 5* Mace Windu, and a 4* Luminara Unduli who I cannot even Afford to promote because I have run out of money And training droids (again :) ).

We won't even mention the Six ships and Three Capital Vessels that I have managed to acquire and somehow find time to battle ferociously for the resources to promote most of them to 2* and first Four levels of Crew Power apiece...

So rather than "resisting" I think that I have been doing rather well with the advice given to me in the short time that I have had to try to make some understanding of it all. I am sorry that I was not the super adaptive student that you are obviously usually used to, but... I am managing.

If you have a full team's worth of 5* and 6* characters then why do you think other people who have been playing as long as you can't have teams of 5* and 6* Phoenix? It just means those people were focused on Phoenix from the very beginning. Probably because all the advice that's out there these days for new players is "focus on Phoenix from the very beginning," and they listened.

I understand that you didn't get much of what we were saying back then, and that's fine. But assuming that people who did understand it are paying to get ahead is a dangerous road, and that's why we want you to understand now that it's not necessarily true.

There are tons of threads on this forum of people complaining that something is p2w and that it's completely impossible for anyone to do without paying. Often times, the thing they are saying is impossible is something I have done f2p, or my BF (who also plays this game) has done f2p, or both. Those people are only holding themselves back by insisting that it's impossible rather than learning how to do it.
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Okay so much for that. I just researched alt. accounts and it seems that people are not able to "blend" them somehow, as I assumed from the sound of it, but rather used them, as one person put it;
    "I have an alt account. It's exactly what everyone else says; Resource management. Gives me insight into what I did wrong the first time, keeps me on track to some extent."

Some others used them for generating much-needed Raid tickets for their Guild, but mainly they were either used to start over, playing from the perspective of learning from past mistakes, or playing concurrently, but with the same goal in mind, thereby creating focus in the main account...

So apparently I would benefit at this point from just using the focus that I have already achieved, and most of all, by playing Every spare Moment that I see some energy being generated, and using that to farm, to generate money, to promote, and to Fight, in order to generate More money (and crystals); Wash, Rinse, Repeat, until I get the characters that I need and at the Gear Levels and "Stars" that I need them at to compete with the New Level of Squad members and Fleet Ship owners that I now find myself confronted with... B)
  • A new Account pits you against new opponents, each Leaderboard fills to 20,000 then a new 1 begins. If you time it right, you can start in top 500 or even top 100, rather than at 9000++ position that you think this Account started in.
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    I get what everyone is saying but I just want to point out something that I have said before; It is Really hard concentrating and trying to learn from what everyone is saying when the posts have no real sense of concurrency to them.

For instance, I see two answers to a couple of my posts that just "appeared out of nowhere", inserted into the thread pretty much thirty minutes or so after the issue that they responded to had already been resolved; I guess the infamous "Spam Filter" at work again.

It is a good thing that I "refresh" the page often, but even that only works so well; right Now I am reading posts up top in the thread that were not there before, and which totally change the entire dialogue, in fact making it seem as though these sage pieces of advice were there, but just totally ignored by me.

I assure you, that was not the case. B)

Edit: First of all, I am grateful for all the sage advice I have been given, and because I did not follow everyone's instructions to the letter, some seem disappointed.

I will just say this once and then leave it alone; I Did listen and I Did implement... as Much as the game Allowed me!

Let's just say that I had taken everyone's advice and started farming Phoenix from the point at which I first entered this forum while Totally ignoring the improvement of the characters that I had been given to start with, Chewy, Kylo, Colonel Dooku, Red Guard, and Talia.

How then would I have been able to win fights in the Arena, or GW?

While I listened to everything that everyone said I had to follow this Plan from the very start, because the Game forced me to, and that was:
    Improve what you Have, before you focus on Farming what you do Not have yet

To me, that seemed the best way to excel in this game, which seemed Totally focused around the concept of "use characters to Fight and Earn Rewards, which can then be used to buy things important to the game."

It wasn't a matter of putting the cart before the horse, things Had to be done in that order, improve the characters that you already have so that you do not lose every Battle, whether Light and Dark, Cantina, or Squad.

There is no way to farm New characters And constantly Improve existing ones effectively, it literally takes Weeks to do either, and I had to make a choice as to which one to do first, and the choice was clear...

In order to get There, I had to go through Here first....
    Post edited by amaze122 on
  • Just wanted to say thanks for all the helpful advice in here. Started around the same time as the OP I think, and I made a conscious decision to go for a FO/Scoundrel team so haven't followed the typical route, but learned an awful lot in here and in the linked guides to help me do "OK" (300 in Squad Arena, 150 in Fleet Arena, in a good guild).

Having a lot of fun with a game I just downloaded on a whim to kill some time when the baby is refusing to sleep at 3am!
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    We aren’t disappointed, amaze. It’s your account, you can do whatever you like with it. The main thing is to have fun. As the AngryGM says, you don’t need my permission to play the game any wrong way you want. ;)

It’s just that if you are going to choose to do something that is less than optimal, it’s better to know what you are sacrificing so that that decision is an informed one. Right now you are seeing the results of accounts that followed the standard advice that you are claiming would have been impossible. As you can see, plenty of people do follow that advice and do get by fine and wind up in a good place.

Herman, glad you are enjoying yourself too! :)
  • crzydroid
    7297 posts Moderator
    I think what people are trying to say here is just don't get too cynical and blame "pay to win" when you are no longer doing as well. This game is both addicting and a huge grind. You should be having fun, and it's no fun to start thinking bitterly about fellow players--I bet if you had a chance to talk to some of the people in your arena, you'd find they are mostly a good bunch. If the going gets tough, it means you've risen into a group of competitive people.

It does indeed take some time to learn everything, but as others have said, some people either may have had experience or were just very game-savvy (there are other games similar to this one with buffs/debuffs, turn meter, etc). If they started in the top 100 rather than 9,000 as you did, they've had more time with higher rewards, and maybe even knew who to spend them in the most efficient way.

I started at a rank of over 16,000 and had no clue about the game, and in addition I have often sacrificed working on my arena team to work on teams that would benefit my guild. Still, I am able to compete for top spots. It may take longer when there are others who keep improving their arena team at the expense of all else, but it's posdible. It's also all about how you play. If you find that competing is too stressful and you are comfortable with top 100 or even a more casual guild, then you can play that way. Just know you will progress more slowly than more competitive players, and be ok with that. Whatever keeps you having fun and sane.
  • I know this sounds crazy but...

I am level 64 now and it seems as though it is a Lot easier to promote my toons level #54 - #59 than it is to promote toons level #60 and up.

Once toons get up in the higher levels nearer my current rank, it seems as though their needs get amped up, suddenly they need either 20, or sometimes even 50 of an item, and sometimes items that can only be donated or obtained through Challenges.

Could this be true?
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Most of them are going to need Fusion Furnaces soon. You’ll see why you need a 7* Character to run Heroic Raids soon.

Wait till you see the gear needed to get your characters to G12 Golden.