Need a little newbie help here

Replies

• Liath
    5140 posts Member
    amaze122 wrote: »
    I know this sounds crazy but...

I am level 64 now and it seems as though it is a Lot easier to promote my toons level #54 - #59 than it is to promote toons level #60 and up.

Once toons get up in the higher levels nearer my current rank, it seems as though their needs get amped up, suddenly they need either 20, or sometimes even 50 of an item, and sometimes items that can only be donated or obtained through Challenges.

Could this be true?

You seem to be conflating levels and gear. Characters need to be a certain level to be geared higher, but the gear they are requiring is a function of the gear level, not the character level. But yes, both are true. The training cost of each level increases, so going from 60 to 61 costs a lot more in credits and droids than going from, say, 20 to 21. Similarly, the gear required to promote a character from gear 7 to gear 8 is a lot more significant and intensive than the gear required to promote that character from gear 4 to gear 5. You start needing gear that require 50 purple pieces, or even multiple prototypes of 50 pieces each. It only gets worse from there. That stun gun that requires 50 carbantis and 50 stun gun salvage? At gear 11 there's a piece that requires that PLUS a component that requires 110 gold pieces PLUS a different component requiring 50 other purple pieces.

All of the challenge gear is farmable in nodes also, though. It's possible that you haven't unlocked the relevant nodes yet, but they are there. The only pieces that aren't farmable from nodes are the raid-exclusive gear (mk5 furnaces, mk5 droid callers, mk6 design techs, and mk7 scanners are the first set of those). They can also be obtained in shops.
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    @Huatimus, okay, so it Is true. By the way, you are out of touch; I have been doing raids for a while now, thanks. :) (Fleet arena rewards 1-24-18) Edit: As of this date, five Raids, and counting....

[img][/img]vS9tw1H.jpg

But back to my question, if that is true, then wouldn't a good strategy be to bring all my Lower Level characters (toons level #59 and down), to High Gear levels, before I promote their levels up to the point where their needs become greater?
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member

But back to my question, if that is true, then wouldn't a good strategy be to bring all my Lower Level characters (toons level #59 and down), to High Gear levels, before I promote their levels up to the point where their needs become greater?

No no no no no no no. These things are 100% *unrelated*. You are seeing higher gear requirements because of the higher GEAR level, not the higher CHARACTER level. You can level somebody to 60 and then gear them or level them enough for each gear level as you go, it is irrelevant, the requirements will be absolutely identical.
  • @Liath okay, I believe you answered my question; toons Have to be a certain level Before they can be geared higher. Thanks, I get it now, should have known that idea would be too good to be true.

From the look that I had at your inventory a while back, all those Gold Levels, Jeez!

Just Knowing the Vast Amount of farming that that was going to take, (Especially being F2P), how did you not just throw up your hands and give up?
  • Sorry I didn't keep track of the entire thread. I only remember back when you were wondering why you should be farming heroic raids and I was recommending a character that you could farm to 7* fast.

Anyway, G12 is a relatively new addition. I wouldn't be surprised if G13 or even higher were introduced in future.
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    @Liath I apologize For the Spam Filter; obviously it has been at work again. My post dated
    January 24, 2018 8:47PM edited 8:49PM

was actually made Before you made your response dated
    January 24, 2018 8:32PM

Obviously you did not see it, and so made your response dated
    January 24, 2018 8:52PM

I must admit I was surprised myself when I refreshed the page and saw a post from you "appear" answering a post that you had already answered in a post right above it.

The chronological order of posts is just thrown all to Hell in here by this Spam Filter and someone Really needs to address it, it is really hard to keep up, with posts "appearing" out of thin air, in response to another post that has usually been answered two or three times already by the time that one "appears"...

Post edited by crzydroid on
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Edit: I removed the first question in this post; I just answered it. But I still need an answer to the question below, thanks! B)

What are "double drop days", and when do they occur?
    Post edited by amaze122 on
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    Edit: I removed the first question in this post; I just answered it. But I still need an answer to the question below, thanks! B)

What are "double drop days", and when do they occur?

When golden hens lay eggs. 2nd anniversary of the game there was a universal double drop day. A little before the rjt event they had a double drop day for veteran Han and veteran Chewie.

They happen very rarely and are announced in game. You receive double the shards on these days either double everything or double specific toons being promoted.

It's worth noting that there is a full gear list for each level for each character on swgoh.gg, for example here

https://swgoh.gg/characters/wedge-antilles/gear/

You will see as explained by liath (did you know that your name autocorects to liar on some devices??) Thqt the gear is fixed for each tier. You are seeing higher gear requirements on your higher levelled characters because you have those characters at higher gear level and not because their level is higher.
  • crzydroid
    7294 posts Moderator
    @Liath I apologize For the Spam Filter; obviously it has been at work again. My post dated
    January 24, 2018 8:47PM edited 8:49PM

was actually made Before you made your response dated
    January 24, 2018 8:32PM

Obviously you did not see it, and so made your response dated
    January 24, 2018 8:52PM

I must admit I was surprised myself when I refreshed the page and saw a post from you "appear" answering a post that you had already answered in a post right above it.

The chronological order of posts is just thrown all to Hell in here by this Spam Filter and someone Really needs to address it, it is really hard to keep up, with posts "appearing" out of thin air, in response to another post that has usually been answered two or three times already by the time that one "appears"...

FYI: A word that can be used to describe someone of low intelligence but is also used to describe things or situations which one doesn't like is considered offensive by some and is thus caught by the filter. I edited your post for you.

As for the spam filter making posts disappear, that usually only happens if you edit them. I see by the time stamps you posted that the posts were all close together...so if you were watching the discussion live, it may have just been ordinary lag.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    @Liath okay, I believe you answered my question; toons Have to be a certain level Before they can be geared higher. Thanks, I get it now, should have known that idea would be too good to be true.

From the look that I had at your inventory a while back, all those Gold Levels, Jeez!

Just Knowing the Vast Amount of farming that that was going to take, (Especially being F2P), how did you not just throw up your hands and give up?

Heh. Well when I started there was no g12. I think no g11 either, but I’m not 100% sure when that was introduced. I pretty much have to pick one goal at a time and focus on that. When I start thinking about the myriad things I would ideally want to do and how long they would all take I start to go insane. So I need to pick a thing to worry about and set everything else aside. Then something new comes out and throws a wrench in my plans and I have to reevaluate. It never ends, but if it did then the game would stop being interesting so I’m ok with that. :)

Yeah, it probably wasn’t the spam filter, just us reading and posting at the same time. The thread won’t update while you’re in it, and if you post it just adds your post to the bottom instead of refreshing the page, so you don’t see something that got posted in the meantime unless you go out and back in.

There tend to be double drops for specific character nodes when a new event is introduced with specific requirements, to help us farm those a little faster. As said above, the universal double drops are rare and usually tied to special days like the anniversary or May the 4th or whatever.
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    @crzydroid, I sometimes lose track of who in here is a moderator and who isn't. I always just thought of you as just another player, LoL. Thank you for the edit, though.

@ Liath if there was no editing in your post, then yeah that is probably what happened; I had not thought of that.

I cannot Wait for double drop days! But what I revere in here above all else, is ❤☆҉‿↗ MATS ‿↗⁀☆҉❤

When I started this game, I downloaded a data card from the Store, for a character that no one in here even talks about, Colonel Starck, because even though I had only been playing a couple of days, I knew already how Ability Mats could change my toons, and they were giving away a Substantial amount of the Purple MK-III, like the ones that you win doing Cantina Battles (and the hands-down Most important one), along with the character.

I never used them on Starck, and he is still sitting on the Bench somewhere, but his sacrifice helped at least three other Toons progress, much faster than they would have by me having to farm those MK's instead (the drop rate on MK-III's ain't great, ya know?).

But as fate would have it, I have not seen any other offering with Mats since I have been playing. There was one Great offering involving I believe, CHS, but I missed out on it because I did not keep up with the ending time (I thought that I had plenty of time; I did not).

While I am not a fan of being a Whale, it has been established throughout the forums that an occasional expenditure for a good cause is almost mandatory, depending on how good the deal is and how it fits your needs, like that very recent 7* Rey that I Never regretted; (five Raids now, and counting)...
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    But what I revere in here above all else, is MATS.

When I started this game, I downloaded a data card from the Store, for a character that no one in here even talks about, Colonel Starck, because even though I had only been playing a couple of days, I knew already how Ability Mats could change my toons, and they were giving away a Substantial amount of the Purple MK-III, like the ones that you win doing Cantina Battles (and the hands-down Most important one), along with the character.

At level 77 on one account I'm just at the point I no longer have to worry about purple ability mats for my main team I now have to start worrying about yellow omega mats.
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    @Naraic level 77 a week ago seemed so far away as to be unattainable. Now, it is just around the corner for me, a truly fanatical player (Level 65 and counting).

I study and research this game now, like Napolean studied his foes, but hopefully with far more positive results. In time, I intend to Own it, as they say, but all great Victories begin with.. little steps.

Right now I have no energy left, no refreshes on Any of my nodes (except for those starting with 200 crystals, which of course I ignore), no money to promote Anyone, no Fleet money to improve my ships, 8 crystals left, and I just lost four out of my five Squad battles...miserably; The ubiquitous Hera and her crew were smiling...

Small steps indeed...

Edit: Before everyone chimes in with "you brought this on yourself", let me stress that I am not complaining or blaming... just reporting. :)
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    [img][/img]pCc0b6A.jpg

This is my Geonosian Starfighter's swarm aggression ability. What I do not understand is, why would I want to Pay to upgrade an ability that is going to deal Less damage, rather than More?

Edit: And when Separatist allies are involved, does it then deal even Less damage?
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    [img][/img]pCc0b6A.jpg

This is my Geonosian Starfighter's swarm aggression ability. What I do not understand is, why would I want to Pay to upgrade an ability that is going to deal Less damage, rather than More?

Edit: And when Separatist allies are involved, does it then deal even Less damage?

When an ally attacks you have a 25% chance to attack as an extra attack. This extra attack is 45% less damage than a normal attack. When a separatist ally attacks you have a 50% chance to attack as an extra attack.

At level 1 when an ally attacks you have a 15% chance to have an extra attack. That attack will have 60% less damage than a normal attack. When a separatist ally attacks you have 30% chance to attack as an extra attack.

It's not amazing but if you use the ship you want to upgrade it.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    The Starck pack was there because he was a new character, and there are typically similar sorts of packs released with new characters. Rose and Holdo are coming out tomorrow and will have packs that contain some mats as well. Eventually you will reach the point that those mats aren’t super rare (at least, as long as you spend them when you need to rather than on every single character you’re not even using). Then omegas and eventually zetas will take over as the mats you are dying for.

Starck isn’t bad but he goes in a trooper team, which is not the most new-player-friendly of teams.
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    @Naraic thanks, I get it now; I upgraded.

@Liath thanks for the info!

I took my GW Team farther than I had ever gone before but then This team showed up. My battle tactic is that I always get rid of the Healer first, but what can you do against Three Healers? My Idea was to use Two AOE guys, my Tie Fighter (Gear level 7, 4*) and my Tarkin (Gear level 7, 5*), but they Kept Healing anyway?!

[img][/img]Tet8nqs.jpg

Maybe when I get my Tarkin to 6 stars and My Tie Fighter to at least 5* they will be able to knock this Healer Team on their butts (Kylo and Rey are already dead) Also I have Darth, but only at 4*, Gear level 5.

I have noticed in this game that you get no respect (significant power) until you have at Least 5*; it is like the game only then even begins to Notice you in a fight. B)

And this supposed-to-be-great ability of Darth's (The Force Crush), is Very underwhelming; it must not get crucial until at least 6*, or thereabouts... :)

Edit: This is just as bad as that Nightsister combo Team, where Mother Talzin and two other NightSisters take turns healing each other while demolishing your team..

• There are many different opinions about the Phoenix team, about whether they are any good on their own without Hera. I have Ezra and Kanaan, (awaiting activation), but have not even Started on Hera yet.

Should I even activate Ezra and Kanaan now, or wait until I have Hera also?
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    There are many different opinions about the Phoenix team, about whether they are any good on their own without Hera. I have Ezra and Kanaan, (awaiting activation), but have not even Started on Hera yet.

Should I even activate Ezra and Kanaan now, or wait until I have Hera also?

There isn't really a Phoenix team without Hera. Absent her leader ability, you've just got a couple of Jedi. They can do ok in a Jedi team, and Ezra is a pretty strong attacker, but it's really Hera that brings them together.

Anyway, there's no harm in activating anybody.
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Better start being more selective about who to level up and gear soon. You'll run out of credits at the rate you're going around leveling just about every Tom, Richard and Hairy.
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    @Huatimus, actually I am being Very selective about who I gear up. Anyone that I have geared up, it is for a reason, either because I need them at a high level because of the Fleet Ships that they pilot, which benefit from their high numbers, or something else, which was why I was asking my betters before "gearing up" these guys.

@Liath thank you for your very highly valued input on that, I will start working on Hera. Zeb is17/25 shards, Hera is 1/25, and Sabine is 1/25. I have read many posts about the Phoenix team in the forums and all agree that if you can't get everybody at once, to start with Ezra, Kanaan, and Hera (I have had Chopper for some time, he is getting pretty geared up, but slowly, like everything else in this game). :)

I will get Hera first, activate Ez, Kanaan, and Zeb, then substitute someone else non-Phoenix in Sabine's role for awhile while I am gearing them all up and farming Sabine.

This game has a Ton of very difficult decisions one of which is Who do I spend my Challenge Ability Mats on?

Logically I believe, I have chosen Rey 7* first.

After her, my decisions or MATS mainly include of course Chopper, who is a very good Tank, and Chewy, who is my other Tank, and whose "Wookie Resolve" I have spent a Lot of Ability Mats on, and am trying to get maxed out. I also work on JC's healing ability, but only because he has the only ship that heals, I am grooming Luminara (again slowly, 4*, Gear level 4) to replace him. Of course, since they are both Jedi, I had envisioned a Squad Battle scenario where I used them both. :)

While I am doing this I am keeping in mind that Phoenix members are also Rebel members and so a double threat, and so that is good.

Also, I am trying to put together a good AOE team for Squad Battles and GW, and so I am also working on Lando, (AOE of 3054 – 3374, 66/80 shards left to activate and working on daily...)

and occasionally working on improving Tie Fighter, AOE of 2997 - 3311, plus he is a pilot, and Snowtrooper, hard to farm but an un-ignorable AOE of 4420 – 4884.

A lot to work on, so I had better get back to it... B)

Edit: I was farming Lando and I leveled up! With the resultant extra Cantina Energy, Lando is now 76/80 shards. Victory awaits...

̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з=(◣_◢)=ε/̵͇̿̿/'̿'̿ ̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿
  • Clone wars Chewie is pretty bad. I would stop investing in him asap. Pretty sure no one recommended him to you. Talia is also pretty bad. And just FYI, I'm not just talking out my behind, you're on my ally list and I've looked at your roster.
    Rey is good dps early on but is Resistance faction and no synergy with the rest of your team. Her ship is hard to obtain, and you need 5 good Resistance to unlock Speed mods. Her only purpose was just to hit 7* and enter the heroic raids for participation rewards, and you could have done it with a Level 1 Gear 1 Rey.
    Kylo Ren is pretty much the same problem. First Order faction with no synergy, hard to obtain his ship, and 5 good First Order to unlock Offense mods.
    And before you start investing in Luminara, she's really not as fantastic as you are envisioning. There are many Jedi in game, and only a few worth mentioning, and she's really not one of them. You have already started entering the gear levels where Protection is available and Protection will get as high as health or higher soon. Her healing does nothing towards recovery of said Protection.
    So in all seriousness, decide for now and really put in razor sharp focus onto either the Classic Rebels route or the Phoenix route. Most would advocate the Phoenix route, and if that's what you decide on too, then it's time to abandon Lando and farm up Hera asap. If you decide on Classic Rebels, then finish off farming Lando, and progress on your ST Han, Princess Leia and so on. (You'll use Lando and ST Han for Credit Heists, and the rest to unlock Commander Luke Skywalker eventually)
  • And another Pro tip, GW is scaled to your roster (Combined Stat power of your 5 highest characters) so it will constantly grow more challenging as you grow. However, if you choose to level/gear poorer quality characters like Hairy Chewie, you are only growing the difficulty of the opposition you are facing in GW without an appropriate growth in your own combat prowess.
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    @Huatimus, thanks, will consider all that you have said...

Edit: Big decision; I finished Tier I and Tier II of the Grand Master Yoda event and earned 50/150 shards, so the assumption is that one wins 25 shards per Tier, and so I would earn 25 more on Tier III.

Tier III tells me that I have 4/5 of the character requirements, which are Five Jedi with 3 stars or more.

If I do not finish Tier III, when this event rolls around again, even if I finish all of Those three tiers, I will only have 50 + 75 shards, equaling 125, 25 shards short.

The closest Jedi that I have to earning a star is Jedi Knight Guardian (10/25 shards), about whom the general Forums consensus is that she is a throwaway character.

So is it worth it to spend valuable resources farming her up that additional 15 shards to finish Tier III of this event?
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Tier v of the event is when Yoda unlocks. Next time the event comes you can't redo tier I and tier ii.

So pushing a Jedi to 3 star won't get you anything.

Yoda himself isn't awesome and I would farm Jedi just for him.

I may wait til I unlock general Kenobi to act as my 5th Jedi for this event.

Ezra/Kanan from phoenix old Ben for cls jc for ships and one more.
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    @Naraic, it is Because I can't redo Tier I and Tier II, that Doing Tier III Now, seems even More important.

But you know more than me about this game and are not the first to belittle the importance of "Old Yo" :) , and so I am not farming the Jedi. Thanks for the advice.
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    @Naraic, it is Because I can't redo Tier I and Tier II, that Doing Tier III seems even More important.

But you know more than me about this game and are not the first to belittle the importance of "Old Yo" :) , and so I am not farming the Jedi. Thanks for the advice.

Next time the event comes around it will start where you leave off. You need to complete tier v to unlock Yoda. You need to complete tier vii to get seven star Yoda. Doing tier iii now gets you nothing (other than a small amount of credits).
  • @Naraic, okay thanks.
  • Reading all this with great interest. My guild advises me to focus on 7*-ing Rey Scavenger (5 sims every 24hrs only) and getting the Phoenix squad (node farming E. and H.; K. & Ch. & Zeb in stores only; Sabine same thing as with Rey: 5 sims per 24hrs). And while I do all that I still need squads to win in the arena's, which I am consistently losing because of the focus on Rey + Phoenix. Is sacrificing arena till I am levelled and geared on Rey + Phoenix the only way forward? And dropping way down in arena, what does that do to my progress?
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    AzhaOusond wrote: »
    Reading all this with great interest. My guild advises me to focus on 7*-ing Rey Scavenger (5 sims every 24hrs only) and getting the Phoenix squad (node farming E. and H.; K. & Ch. & Zeb in stores only; Sabine same thing as with Rey: 5 sims per 24hrs). And while I do all that I still need squads to win in the arena's, which I am consistently losing because of the focus on Rey + Phoenix. Is sacrificing arena till I am levelled and geared on Rey + Phoenix the only way forward? And dropping way down in arena, what does that do to my progress?

Why do they suggest Rey in particular? BTW, Rey is also in the guild store, so you can also pick her up there, not just from the hard nodes. Also, she has 3 hard nodes, so you could do 15 attempts a day, though I don't know what level you are so you might not have unlocked all of them yet. If the goal is to get a 7* character so you can get into heroic raids, Rey really isn't the easiest choice (unless you were going to buy the google gift cards to get her free, which I assume you aren't).

Phoenix is recommended because it's a strong starter team, and focusing on one good team is going to help you once you get it going. But in the meantime, before you have them unlocked, you can still gear up some of the other characters you already have and use them in arena.

If you drop way down in arena, it means you are getting fewer crystals, so you can't do as many refreshes per day, which slows your leveling and the rate at which you obtain shards and the like. But if you wind up doing better in arena in the long run because of your focus you can make up that difference later.

BTW, amaze: you don't need to substitute anybody for Sabine - there are 6 Phoenix members and you can only run 5 in a team, so you are always leaving one out. Sabine is a fine one to leave out since she is the hardest to get now. Eventually you will want to unlock her in order to use her ship, but you can't substitute anybody for that - you can't even unlock the ship unless you have the pilots.