Need a little newbie help here

Replies

• Options
    @amaze122 you’re not alone. I run out of training droids on a fairly regular basis as well (although I’m doing fine on the fleet ones). The main reason for that is I’m trying to constantly keep 3 teams at my player level: a light side team (Phoenix, want to be prepared to get Thrawn to 7*), a dark side team (arena Empire) and my scoundrels. But in a month or so, I’ll be at max level and won’t have to constantly upgrade those teams. That will increase available training droids.
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    @Huatimus, thanks for the advice. I am level 79 going on 80 now, and people giving me advice are always referring to the term "endgame".

What does that mean; is there like some ceiling that I am going to bump into soon, where I will not be able to improve my characters and ships anymore?

Edit: @Naraic, first of all, thanks for the advice about mods being my credit sink. :)

But anyway, you also said;
    "Usually money is the limiting factor rather than training droids. I would bet that you have more characters leveled up than would be normal at your stage of progression..."

Everyone has their own way for how they like to play the game; I like Options..

Right now, I can run a Phoenix team, or...if I like, I have enough characters close to my rank level of 79 (around 75 or so) that I can Also run an Empire team, just to see what that's like). Soon after I acquire a few more Nightsisters, particularly Talzin and Zombie, I will Also level them up to the point where I can see what They can do. In other words, to fully enjoy this game, I do not believe that you should limit yourself to a wholly linear path, the operative word there being LIMIT.

It is like owning really cool guns, why only shoot, let's say, the Sig automatics and don't even clean or fire the Glocks ever, just leave them on the rack just because some say the Sigs are the best, when there are just as many who say the Glocks are awesome too (myself included)?

This game has sooo many great character and team combinations, I just want to try them all, and they Have to be leveled up in order for me to do that... o:)
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Options
    Max level is 85. Both player level and character level. (And ship levels)
  • Options
    @Huatimus thanks for the max level info.

@Kai_Mulai your post had not appeared while I was adding the edit to my above post, I am just now seeing it, and it serves to re-enforce what I was saying, that one runs out of resources because of the need to keep more than just one team available at a time. Thanks. B)
  • Options
    @amaze122 you can actually enter with just one character. After you get the message saying 'you are trying to enter with a squad that is not full', press 'OK' and the box goes away. You can then press battle again and it will take you into the battle.

Even if you were to take lando in, you can just use his basic on the side pigs - only his special is AoE. The key thing for posting 0 damage is avoiding AoE and not using a character who can counter.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    ???
    @FailingCrab, sir for some reason I think that you are responding to This post, that I made back on March 17th, @6:40 pm;
    "Had a bit of a problem recently I entered the Rancor Raid for my Guild, and now that I have Two characters at 7*, it would not let me just use one, I Could Not Enter unless I "chose" both.
    Then, even though I only clicked on the side Pigs, of course Lando's power is AOE, and so I caused damage (the rule is "0" damage the first 24 hrs).
    How could I have avoided this, since the game would Not let me enter with only one of my 7* characters?"

I have observed this phenomenon before. It is what happens when you edit your post too quickly (always give it a minute or two, before pressing "post reply"). Your message then gets lost in the Spam Filter, and yes, can take Days to re-emerge, usually many posts past the one that it was intended as a response to...

Edit: But thank you for your response, even though in the 14 days since I asked it, it has been answered several times. :)
  • FailingCrab
    1155 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Oops, my bad! I missed out a whole page of the thread.

How's your phoenix farm coming along, by the way? It sounds like you're having a lot of fun with your characters at the moment but you will absolutely need a good phoenix squad to unlock thrawn - the next chance is in less than a fortnight!
    Post edited by FailingCrab on
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @FailingCrab, Chopper, Ezra, and Kanaan are 6*, Zeb is 43 shards away from 6*, and Hera is 56 away from 6*.

I should have 6* done by your two-week deadline; I hope that 6* is enough because I could Never pull off 7. At least not for all of them...
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    Options
    amaze122 wrote: »
    @FailingCrab, Chopper, Ezra, and Kanaan are 6*, Zeb is 43 shards away from 6*, and Hera is 56 away from 6*.

I should have 6* done by your two-week deadline; I hope that 6* is enough because I could Never pull off 7. At least not for all of them...

Like r2 you need 7 star characters to unlock 7 star thrawn but 5 star characters will unlock 5 star and 6 star will unlock 6 star.
  • Options
    @Naraic thanks for the guide, very helpful!

Also, 'ppreciate the insights on "levels".

Had a bit of a problem recently I entered the Rancor Raid for my Guild, and now that I have Two characters at 7*, it would not let me just use one, I Could Not Enter unless I "chose" both.

Then, even though I only clicked on the side Pigs, of course Lando's power is AOE, and so I caused damage (the rule is "0" damage the first 24 hrs).

How could I have avoided this, since the game would Not let me enter with only one of my 7* characters?

You can enter with one. It will give you a warning just once,the second time you try to battle it will let you go in.
  • Options
    End game is essentially owning 3-4 meta sqds atm. One meta sqd would be g12 Jtr, bb8, R2, Thrawn and General kenobi. The meta changes consistently, the conundrum in the game is chase the current meta, or gamble on what the next next one might be.
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    Options
    @Naraic you said;
    "Like r2 you need 7 star characters to unlock 7 star thrawn but 5 star characters will unlock 5 star and 6 star will unlock 6 star.".

(Kicking myself) ****, I Knew that! Someone I greatly admire just got through telling me that a day ago, how could I have forgotten? My head is in so many places lately, got a lot going on...sorry! o:)

@Halfbaked the "endgame" is beginning to sound more and more like just a lot of analyzing and Googling and perusing YouTube, in order to find out why your "championship team" is suddenly no longer that, and what you can do about it...
  • Options
    The way I see it, early game is about building up one team to 7* and a set point - either level 85 or good enough for an event, or good enough for arena viability, or something else. But it’s all about one team.

Mid game is about building up specific teams to gain better characters. It’s very event driven and requires balancing arena and fleet arena ranks, guild events, and the progress toward character events.

End game is after a player has completed all the character events they want to, and can now choose their focus without affecting game progress. It’s about getting characters for territory battles and territory wars, building teams of favorite characters, and theory crafting in arena.
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @Kai_Mulai, not saying I agree, but there are quite a few in the various swgoh forums that share your view...

Question, why make the GW unbeatable, then tell you can eventually sim it, but only if you beat it a certain number of times?

I have two almost unbeatable teams, one AOE based, and one Phoenix. I battle this "darn" GW holo-table down to the last two nodes, and it ALWAYS then does something like THIS-->>

[img][/img]KQY4rTh.jpg

Just for perspective, let me tell you about the part that you Cannot see; All characters, besides being Four Levels above my humble level 79, Also have their First Three abilities Meta'd!

By the way, I managed to kill one character, IG-88 and also level 83, whose first three abilities were Also meta'd, that is why you only see Four characters, but trust me, One second after I did that, my entire team was practically Dissolved by these ****...

My point being, there is no Arena in this game that you can walk into with level 79 characters and beat level 83, 7*, Meta'd characters; if there was, there would be no point in playing, we could all just stop right now! So why toy with us like this?
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Options
    Pretty sure you mean Omega and not Meta.
    And you need to understand how GW Scaling works, and how all the more experienced players have already been through your current phase.
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    Options
    @Huatimus, Yes I mean Omega, and I have read some posts on the scaling, but none that say that you basically are put into a position where you have No Chance of winning...
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Options
    Just looked at your account. Your mods are a real mess. Go read/watch some guides and remod your characters. Probably do a lot better after that.
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    Options
    @Huatimus actually in this situation, I think that the power difference, and Omega difference would not be totally alleviated by just changing a few mods, or again, we should all just quit playing right now. :)

But another thought I have had. We have so many characters with gear that was a total mistake to begin with, and Full of ability mats that they will never use.

What if you could take this stuff off of these characters and throw it instead on other characters whom you now value more, as say, a one time move and it just cost some credits to move them, like it costs credits to remove an ill-advised mod?

Wouldn't that be great? After all, there should not be that much difference between changing gear and ability mats and changing Mods, especially when you yourself are of the mind that Mods are probably even more important?
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Options
    I think you are seriously underestimating the effect of mods. You can ask others but I’m pretty sure most would agree with me. No one at your level should still be using 1-pip mods on their Arena Squad, especially not on a character that taunts like Chopper.

Think of good mods as gear that can be moved. That’s an investment that’ll keep on giving unlike gear which once equipped is stuck forever on that character which may not even be a good character.

If the game ever allowed you to move gear and Ability mats from one character to another, then no one would spend crystals to buy gear and Ability mats. There would not be so much anguish over the drop rate of Zeta materials. So yea, that’s highly unlikely to happen. Besides, you knew right from the start that this is a Long term resource management game as many of us have already advised you right from the start and if you chose to level and gear and upgrade abilities of random useless characters then I unfortunately have no sympathy for you. You can only live and learn from these mistakes.
  • Options
    My point being, there is no Arena in this game that you can walk into with level 79 characters and beat level 83, 7*, Meta'd characters; if there was, there would be no point in playing, we could all just stop right now! So why toy with us like this?
    Sure there is - I do it in GW regularly, and with the right squad/mods you can do it in fleet/squad arena too.

Especially in GW, since the teams there are usually thrown together without any thought to how well they work together.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    Options
    @Huatimus you said:
    "Besides, you knew right from the start that this is a Long term resource management game as many of us have already advised you right from the start and if you chose to level and gear and upgrade abilities of random useless characters then I unfortunately have no sympathy for you. You can only live and learn from these mistakes."

As I have said before, one man's "useless characters" are another man's treasures. Also most of the mistakes that you see by perusing my account as you have were made when I first started; remember I have only been playing 4 months, Many mistakes were made before I even started posting in here, and are deeply regretted, and do not need the constant reminding of the fact that they were mistakes.

Which is why it would be so important if some of those mistakes could be overcome even partially. I am not saying be able to exchange Every ability mat and Every piece of gear, but maybe Some, and with Restrictions?

Sure this is a game of resource management and the anguish that is created by grinding for materials, but what I am suggesting is that instead of just accepting what is and attacking those who feel that it could be better, you maybe strove to come up with some ideas yourself that could improve and maybe alleviate some of that anguish?

The game is what it is, but it Can be changed to be better, it starts with ideas and suggestions...
  • Options
    Don't look at the investments in "useless" characters as a mistake - it's more like future prep. If you play long enough you're going to end up needing most, if not all, of the characters in one capacity or another. Even if you hadn't geared ewoks (or whatever) at the start, you'd end up doing it anyways at some point.
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    Options
    Here is one of the suggestions that I am talking about, from Reddit:
    "On the other hand, I can see how something like this would be a good release valve for people who have been burned by nerfs or a shift in the meta, or people who want to experiment more. Maybe with a cost of credits and a cooldown timer on the order of a day or a week, you could move gear around.

The cost would be fairly minimal to EA in terms of potential sales lost, and it would really free up players to try things out and have fun without having to wait for weeks of grinding each time. It wouldn't enable you to run raids or GW more effectively by reusing gear, but it would be an overall positive change."

In other words, there are negative things to say about the idea, but also positive ones; it is Not all negative.

Eventually, you get enough positive ideas and different variations on the idea and you have a working plan, that can be presented to mods for the "suggestion box". That is all that I am saying; work an idea out completely, do not just immediately give up and say that it is impossible....
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Options

Two things.

First you are probably getting close to the point where galactic war will hit a ceiling.

Second don't underestimate the effect of mods.

I over come a gear disadvantage (1 gear xii, 2 gear xis and two gear xs on my arena team against all gear xiis) because my mods are better.

By better I mainly mean faster but better another stats are useful too.

Don't despair completely in gw. You are getting close to the point where gw stops getting harder which should help.
  • Options
    I have not read a lot in this thread, but I just wanted to add something on your opinion towards mods. Mods may not seem important to you right now, and they aren’t. You won’t have the credits, energy, or characters to get enough top of the line mods to make a difference for you in arena or GW right now. They will not help you, as a gear 7/8 team beat a gear 9/10 team at your level. But you are getting very close to max level, and at max level they are the most important asset in the game. Month by month, quarter by quarter, most people use the same 3-5 team compositions. Each of those teams are similar in many ways. What will set you apart, and MOST of the time win you the matchup, is what mods you have.

Take Grand Admiral Thrawn for instance; his ability to fracture an enemy - which makes them completely useless until Thrawn’s next turn - is a critical ability in a large majority of team compositions. The problem is, both players do not take a turn at the same time. Therefore, whoever has the best mods to give them the highest amount of speed will take their turn first and get to use their Thrawn. This advantage will completely change the course of the match.

For an instance that doesn’t revolve around speed, take someone like a tank or a low health character like Maul, Palpatine, Raid Han, Tie Pilot, etc. If you don’t have the mods to increase their survivability, they may not make it through the first round of attacks. If you’re raiding, modding your heavy damage dealers to increase their offense or critical damage is critically important.

There is a ceiling to gear in this game, there is not one with mods (not that anyone has ever reached). If you take badly modded characters into raids, lvl 85 pvp, territory battles, and other “end game” formats, you will not do well.
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @Naraic, thanks for your input. I will pull some mods out of other characters and put them back later, just to test the Mod theory. I really wish I had enough mods to go around, but I just don't, my farming schedule is really tight these days (Phoenix leveling and gearing, Fleet leveling and Fleet pilot and crew leveling, etc). I will let you know what I find... B)

Edit: @Trystan_Spyder, who said;
    "Don't look at the investments in "useless" characters as a mistake - it's more like future prep. If you play long enough you're going to end up needing most, if not all, of the characters in one capacity or another. Even if you hadn't geared ewoks (or whatever) at the start, you'd end up doing it anyways at some point."

Thanks dude!
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Options
    @Huatimus you said:
    "Besides, you knew right from the start that this is a Long term resource management game as many of us have already advised you right from the start and if you chose to level and gear and upgrade abilities of random useless characters then I unfortunately have no sympathy for you. You can only live and learn from these mistakes."

As I have said before, one man's "useless characters" are another man's treasures. Also most of the mistakes that you see by perusing my account as you have were made when I first started; remember I have only been playing 4 months, Many mistakes were made before I even started posting in here, and are deeply regretted, and do not need the constant reminding of the fact that they were mistakes.

Which is why it would be so important if some of those mistakes could be overcome even partially. I am not saying be able to exchange Every ability mat and Every piece of gear, but maybe Some, and with Restrictions?

Sure this is a game of resource management and the anguish that is created by grinding for materials, but what I am suggesting is that instead of just accepting what is and attacking those who feel that it could be better, you maybe strove to come up with some ideas yourself that could improve and maybe alleviate some of that anguish?

The game is what it is, but it Can be changed to be better, it starts with ideas and suggestions...

I was referring to the mistakes you made AFTER posting here and receiving advice. You always have some reason or explanation or justification to not following the sound advice given, and then start to wonder why you’re not performing well. You know what? I give up, you won’t get anymore unwanted advice from me and you can play your game however you want and I won’t feel so frustrated for wasting my time and effort either. Good luck and have fun!
  • Kai_Mulai
    683 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Late Galactic War nodes are supposed to be challenging. I’ve encountered (and defeated) teams up to 10 levels higher than mine before on multiple occasions. And there have also been a handful of teams I could not beat no matter what. That’s just part of the experience. And the better you get, the better the teams you face get also. I’ve faced several teams with legendary characters, zetas, arena mods, and more. At this point in the game, I have multiple teams I can use for Galactic Wars, so if one team doesn’t work, I can use another. Think of Galactic War as arena practice and you’ll be able to use it to make your teams better and develop better ways to handle different teams you could run into.

Also, I can assure you there are many arena shards when you must deal with players with much more advanced characters than yours. I just hit level 83 and my arena team is all gear 10. I’ve beat level 85 gear 12 teams with zetas. In fact, that’s necessary because half the top 20 has a zeta by now and if I want to stay competitive, I need to be able to beat them even though I don’t have any zetas on my team. So I changed my tactics instead. Same characters used in a different way were able to win. You can do the same thing in Galactic War most of the time.
  • Options
    To the GW point -

Just this morning my last node was EP (7* 85) Daka (7* 85) Scav Rey (7* 85) Leia (7* 85) and Lumi (7* 84).

I used my B team comprising EP (5* 70) TFP (5* 78) Vader (6* 78) Boba (7* 78) and Tarkin (7* 78). They don't even have good mods.

I think Rey got one attack in before their entire team was dead. I didn't even have to use my primary team (all 7* 78 Phoenix, gear 8 and 9).
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    @Kai_Mulai and @Trystan_Spyder thank you both, that info is both inspiring and informative. I had been worrying and anticipating the inevitable day when i encountered a point where everyone else's characters were better than my own; you might say that Arena Squad has been Well preparing me for that, LoL :)

Thanks to your posts, (and also @Naraic and @Halfbaked posts), I see that there is hope after becoming obsolete. Plus by giving me hope, I was encouraged to do further research, and I think I see now that Every team can be overcome, with Mods, and with Strategy.

@Huatimus you said;
    "I was referring to the mistakes you made AFTER posting here and receiving advice. You always have some reason or explanation or justification to not following the sound advice given, and then start to wonder why you’re not performing well. You know what? I give up, you won’t get anymore unwanted advice from me and you can play your game however you want and I won’t feel so frustrated for wasting my time and effort either. Good luck and have fun!"

Actually sir, I am also quite done with you. There is a difference between demanding blind obedience to the way that You want things done, and giving advice with no judgement on how that advice is then utilized. Every one in here is their own person, and deserves the right to play the game the way that they choose.

If every choice that they make does not coincide with what you think they should have been, you do not have the right to then micromanage their inventory choices and proclaim what you perceive to be their ineptitude to the entire forum.

First of all, my post was not about poor performance on my part or about poor characters; (by the way I have Great characters). It was about what I perceived to be an unnecessarily difficulty formula being employed by GW.

Since a perusal of the all of the swgoh forums including Reddit will attest to the fact that Many other people have also complained about this since 2016, I am not alone and therefore feel that I also have the right to voice my opinion, especially since I also later offered viable Solutions, both my own and in the form of a quoted Reddit post, and asked for comments from others on the subject.

Since your only comments were attacks on me and my methods then they and you are not welcome, and I would appreciate it if you would not return.

Oh yes, and by all means, have fun...
    Post edited by amaze122 on