Need a little newbie help here

Replies

• amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    I faced this team in the Arena today. The much to be feared Kylo Ren Unmasked with his team. Usually Kylo is pretty much unbeatable, plus look at their squad power compared to mine...

[img][/img]oRlk2Oe.jpg

My Squad Power

[img][/img]hOmhmRc.jpg

Normally I troll endlessly until I find a squad power lower than mine or at least almost equal, but....I was testing a theory, after talking to you all about the power of Mods.

Sooo, I improved the mods in my Phoenix team, to the point of even taking some from other characters (hey, never said I was rich, ya know?), and even though my Phoenix are all only 6* and most of these guys were 7* (except for that one Executioner guy)....

I Demolished Them! B)

Edit: My only regret is that now those other characters that I stole from are naked and I can't possibly afford to farm replacement Mods for them for a long time, I have almost no crystals left for "refreshes", only the bare minimum. But it was worth it just to see this Impossible victory...

• Congratulations! It’s always a good idea to have your best mods on your arena team, because they help you get crystals. And then you can use the crystals to refresh energy and farm faster.

When I get ready for an arena battle, the big things I look for are character synergy, speed and ability levels on the other team. If the other team is faster than mine and has high ability levels (especially if some characters have zeta abilities), I generally avoid them or change my tactics, even if they’re 10,000 power lower than me because it’s a good chance they will win. If a team is slow and/or has lower ability levels or poor synergy, I’ll attack them even if they have 10,000 power more than me. And each team can be strong against some groups and weak against others. The more you pay attention to which teams you demolish and which ones demolish you, the better you can understand how to set up your team and know which other teams to attack.
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    @Kai_Mulai you can be sure that some of that I already look out for (jumbled up teams, teams that I have beat before, etc.), and the rest I will definitely pay attention to in the future, thanks!

Today in History: My First GW Victory using only Phoenix, Yes the same Phoenix that I was losing with earlier, April, 2018 BBM (Before Better Mods)... B)

[img][/img]FMGbr6B.jpg

• good job its a nice feeling isn't it and the extra 400 tokens at the end doesn't hurt either
  • Sunnie1978
    2937 posts Moderator
    Congrats!!!
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Thank you both, @kindlekm and @Sunnie1978!

More good news, I just received my latest Raid awards, and I thought that I would share them, as a way also of sending a shout out to my Wonderful new Guild!

I do not think that I am allowed to "advertise" them by saying their name, but just Look at the loot! And as you can see, we are running Three Raids at a time, its the way we Roll, over here...

[img][/img]DYHxn7G.jpg

[img][/img]7xvLLte.jpg

Edit: When I say "New", I mean the Great Guild that I joined back around March 12th or so, when I Re-joined the SWGOH game... B)
  • Another GW finish, courtesy of my revamped Phoenix team!

This is turning into a long-playing rerun of "The Never-Ending Story", but without the puppets!

fA8MWpD.jpg

GbN2GTU.jpg

B)

• After 150 galactic war completions, you’ll be able to sim them
  • Kai_Mulai wrote: »
    After 150 galactic war completions, you’ll be able to sim them

And level 85.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    Hmmnn, maybe its just me guys, but 150 sounds like a lot. :)

Anyways, in other news, more specifically the Thrawn challenge...

Since before two days ago I did not even really know what a Zeta Looked like, I am officially giving up, especially after someone who won it told me that their Phoenix team had at least four or more Zetas and They barely won.

My Phoenix team Only contains Metas, and so I am going to just activate the 5* Thrawn that I Did win, and just be happy that I got that.

Crazy thing is, when I get to the fourth tier of the challenge, my Entire Phoenix Team has Very good Health!

And then we get into that room with Thrawn and his minions and it is just like falling sideways into a giant blender, and just as quick....

In the Very First Move, which is so fast as to barely be able to be seen, Thrawn steps up and Instantly makes two of my members just Disappear, like some diabolical magic trick, but without the hat and scarves.

And well...that is pretty much the end of the story right there. I know this sounds like I am whining, but no, I am just reporting, for the others that are doing the challenge, what my results were.

To re-iterate, I have Phoenix 7* characters with Metas but no Zetas, and with the best Mods that I am currently able to win, and I was able to win a 5* Thrawn, no problem, the trouble began when i tried to aim higher.

Question, that purple bar on the top of their power bar in this screen (the one that My characters do Not have), does that imply that they all have Zetas?

[img][/img]KHqcw2T.jpg

Edit: Hmmnn, from This, it looks like if I could just do the 6* Thrawn challenge over again without losing any members of my team this time....

[img][/img]nsoC3AN.jpg

Edit no. 2: Or maybe I am wrong, and this is a 6* Thrawn waiting here...I am Sooo afraid to look. :)

[img][/img]Ht25um8.jpg

Post edited by amaze122 on
  • Yep. He'll activate at 5* and immediately be able to be made 6*.

7* is doable if you get the right sequence of events, but you may be better off, from a stress standpoint, just taking 6* and enjoying. And you will enjoy - Thrawn is amazing.
  • Like Trystan said, you now have the shards to take Thrawn to 6 stars. He’s an amazing character at that level, and I had a 6* Thrawn in my arena team until this event, when he picked up his last star. To get him to the seventh star, I would suggest at least 3 members of your Phoenix team having gear 9 or higher, take all their unique abilities to level 8 (max level or “omega”), and equip them with mods that push everyone’s speed (except Kanan’s) up to 180 or more, give Zeb 50% potency, and put as much protection on Kanan as possible.

On a separate note, you’re confusing terms.

Omega = the last letter in the Greek alphabet. In this game, omega materials are yellow and getting most character abilities to level 8 requires between 3-5 of them. So level 8 abilities requiring 3-5 omega materials are called “omega abilities”

Zeta = the letter in the Greek alphabet corresponding to our letter Z, the last letter in the English alphabet. In the game, zeta materials look like a dark purple X. Some level 8 character abilities have a greater benefit and they require zeta, omega, and purple ability materials to complete. These are called “zeta abilities”

Meta = a Latin term roughly meaning “within” or “self-reflective.” In the game, the most popular and effective arena team(s) at any given point are known as the “meta”
  • @Trystan_Spyder thanks for letting me know he is 6*!. Yes after 8 million tries, I will take that and leave, LoL!

• amaze122 wrote: »
    @Trystan_Spyder thanks for letting me know he is 6*!. Yes after 8 million tries, I will take that and leave, LoL!

He's definitely worth the headache. I switched to him in an empire team for squad, and despite being 10k less than my phoenix team they're already knocking on top 50, even with mediocre mods and not being max leveled.
  • Sunnie1978
    2937 posts Moderator
    Thrawn is probably the hardest Legendary event in the game. It can be done at 7* with no zetas and gear level 8 or 9 phoenix, but it is extremely difficult and requires some good RNG. If you are having trouble, try modding your team with health and protection mods (5 dot if possible), with 3 protection primaries (circle, cross and triangle). This can help you survive the onslaught from the last stage of the Thrawn event. When the event appeared in Oct. 2017, someone in my guild beat the last tier with these toons:
    bxgxymb2maos.png

I also helped quite a few guildmates beat it. If possible, put an omega on Chopper so he heals protection and health (Maintenance Protocols). It can be done without Chopper, but if he is geared enough, I like to use him because of this ability.
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    @Kai_Mulai that is not the first time I made that verbal slip. I am always saying Meta when I mean Omega; sorry for the confusion.

@Trystan_Spyder, after even more multiple attempts, I finally activated Thrawn at six stars, and was happy to be able to do so... B)

@Sunnie1978, Thanks for the advice. but I am totally out of resources; I have no better Mods to use and being only level 81 at the time I made this post did not help. And I can no longer obtain Metas, er, I mean Omegas, because even though I handily win Ship battles, I can no longer win Ship Challenges, even though I have thrown ALL of my available resources into improving my ships whenever possible. It just takes sooo long, you know? I am finally just now getting my ships to where I have ONE ship at six stars and eight at Five Stars Only. I have them all at my current level, which is 81 (I just made level 82 two minutes ago) and even That is not Enough. :o

[img][/img]IeK8kmj.jpg

I also improved pilots as much as I was able to. Here is only one example of many; (as you can see here, I just geared up Biggs in order to achieve an additional 15% damage from his ship); again....No Effect.

[img][/img]4T389z0.jpg

At this level of my game, level 81, Everything depends on Omegas, and sometimes a Lot of them (This picture is from Kanan Jarris's "Totall Defense" ability requirements). Also, I am going to be needing a Lot (as you can also see here) of Zetas. I do all of the challenges and improvements and Still I cannot win Any Ship Challenges.

[img][/img]4DHAqF4.jpg

I understand the need for Patience, before any of you start preaching for "the need for that in what I already knew was going to be a Grinding game", but it is So Hard.... :'(

Maybe a couple of weeks from now, who knows? o:)

Edit: I just mad a correction up above; my second comment was for Trystan_Spyder, not Kai_Mulai... :)

• Kai_Mulai
    683 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    You have enough 5* ships for the highest level fleet ability challenge. Is that the one you have difficulty passing, or is it the Home One 5* challenge, or both? Home One is a particularly difficult ship to upgrade, as the challenges are very difficult. The ability challenge, however, is very important to complete soon, since that’s going to be your main source of zeta materials. From a quick look at your ships, it looks to me like the thing you need most is more stars on your pilots. Omega abilities help, but stars amplify everything and have a huge benefit to their ships
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    @Kai_Mulai I have problems with All the ship challenges, all of the capital ships (Tarkin, Ackbar, and Mace, Tier IV) and the Fleet Ability Materials Challenges (tier III)!

[img][/img]pK7uKaL.jpg

So pilots are That important; thanks for the advice, I will spend even more time and resources improving their star levels. B)

Edit: I forgot, I just passed Tarkin's (Finally) but the other two Capital ship captains are Still laughing at me and regularly have me for breakfast... :o
  • Kai_Mulai
    683 posts Member
    edited April 2018
    I had to improve my pilots and ships a LOT to get Home One to 5*, and from what I understand, getting it to 6* takes an even bigger commitment (I still haven’t passed that one). Since pilots have such a big impact on their ships, you want them as built up as possible. That includes level, gear, stars, abilities, and mods. The good news about mods is if you’re not using the pilots for arena or events, you don’t need specific mods. Anything with 5 dots will work fine. The bad news about mods is you still have to spend credits leveling them up if you want the most benefit for your pilots.

Currently, I have all 4 capital ships at 5*, the max tier fleet ability and fleet credit challenges simmable, and can pass the max tier fleet training droid challenge at 2*. A link to my fleet is here, if it would help: https://swgoh.gg/u/kaimulai/ships/
  • Yeah - home one is a beast of a challenge. Was glad to 5*, although it didn't get me Chimera this time. The "zeta" challenge I was able to 3* right out of the gate. But then I'm really invested in the DS side of fleet. Pilots do have a huge effect on ships, definitely can't neglect them.
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    @Kai_Mulai said
    "Since pilots have such a big impact on their ships, you want them as built up as possible. That includes level, gear, stars, abilities, and mods."

@Trystan_Spyder said
    "The "zeta" challenge I was able to 3* right out of the gate. But then I'm really invested in the DS side of fleet. Pilots do have a huge effect on ships, definitely can't neglect them."

Guys, along with all that I am spending for everything else in this game, that is Definitely not good news. But thanks for the knowledge anyway, Info is Never a bad thing...

• Kai_Mulai
    683 posts Member
    It’s definitely a balance. You can’t do everything at once, so you need to choose your focus. Right now, I’m focusing on improving my fleet.
  • kindlekm
    54 posts Member
    Kai_Mulai wrote: »
    It’s definitely a balance. You can’t do everything at once, so you need to choose your focus. Right now, I’m focusing on improving my fleet.

yep helps picking teams for events well too that do a dual purpose

for example, TFP for an empire team for R2D2 , has a really good darkside ship as well as usefulness in raids
  • Kai_Mulai
    683 posts Member
    Yes, exactly. The more aspects of the game a character can help at the same time, the better. An Empire arena team can also use Tarkin, Thrawn, Vader, and/or TIE Fighter Pilot in fleet arena as well as getting ready to unlock R2-D2. Or a First Order arena team can also use both Kylos, Phasma, and First Order Stormtrooper as pilots for Kylo’s Shuttle and the TIE Silencer while working toward unlocking BB8.
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    I have gotten to the point that I starve everyone else and use All available Mats and Omegas for Phoenix now.

But hey, here is how it pays off! imglkcpXHP.jpg

7rgPxbm.png

I may never use Mats or Omegas on anyone else ever again; just look at some of the Phoenix team's needs!
    The first is from Kanan, the second is from Ezra...

[img][/img]4DHAqF4.jpg

[img][/img]Y6z6gTg.png

• amaze122 wrote: »
    First of all, I am playing this game on BlueStacks, and so I got No instructions, I am having to figure everything out on my own. After playing this game for Hours, for two complete days (I am retired since November, thank goodness) I discovered that buying the Colonel Starck pack for $9.99 would give me dozens of the "Ability Materials", in other words the MKI, MKII, and MKIII units that I had been Struggling to win through fighting, thereby enabling me to quickly get some upgrades done that would help me in the arena with the best prizes, The Cantina Battles. The Light Side Battles and the Dark Side Battles are great, but they don't have any MK prizes, so what is the point there?

So the problem is, the pack supposedly included this Colonel Starck, but in the character inventory screen he is grayed out and has a lock on him. Also, Using the now upgraded characters, I won items enabling me to obtain other heroes, Count Dooku, and Admiral Ackbar, who are both high ranking characters.

Problem is how do I input them into my team selection? Every time I start a fight, in any of those three arenas that I mentioned, they send me in there with the same team every time, the one that I started the game with! Of course, since I signed into FaceBook there is an option to "borrow a hero", which usually works out Very well, but that is it....

How do I input my newer, much better characters into my game?

Grats on retirement! I'm not the only old guy here then lol

• Grats on EP @amaze122 . He's a monster. I had him at 5*, just 7* this morning. Was a breeze for the Phoenix.

He's now my strongest toon at over 17k.
  • FailingCrab
    1155 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    @amaze122 congratulations on 7 starring Emperor Palpatine! If you pair him with a good Empire team you'll have a dark side squad even stronger than your Phoenix.

I would not focus on using any zeta materials on your Phoenix squad at the moment. There are much more important and game-changing zeta abilities out there - Palpatine's leadership ability, for example - and zetas are not easy to come by.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • amaze122
    305 posts Member
    edited May 2018
    @DuneSeaFarmer welcome to the club!

@Trystan_Spyder and @FailingCrab thanks a lot!

@FailingCrab I guess from your advice I should start focusing on my Empire team; yeah, I could do that. My EP is not as impressive as yours, Trystan_Spyder, only 9465 power, and that is with 7* and gear level VII, character level 80 (My current level is 83). The gear level and character level are at the most that I can afford right now, and though I do not have him modded to what

http://apps.crouchingrancor.com/Mods/Advisor

recommends, again they are the best that I can afford at the moment, with bonuses for speed and potency.

Crouchingrancor.com recommended Potency and Offense, but I have No offense mods at the moment, it will have to wait...

I put him in the Squad Arena just to try him out, and I must say that my Darth Nihilus Very much out-performed him, though he is only character level 76 and 4*. But he is gear level 8, so maybe that makes a big difference. Also, I found EP to be rather squishy, nothing at all like the EP's that I face on a daily basis in GW (I hardly see any in Squad Arena, but I can Bet that I will start to see a lot of them now that the event is here....).

I chalk it up to the fact that I have noticed that some characters, even when 7*, do not live up to their promise until they are geared up to at least gear level 9 and above. Some obvious examples are my 7* Scavenger Rey, 7* Lando, and my Entire 7* Phoenix team...

So I am prepared to wait....

These are my candidates for hopefully, an eventual great Empire team, any suggestions?

zjAM58Q.jpg

• @amaze122 I use Palpayine (lead) / Vader / Thrawn / Tarkin / TIE Fighter Pilot and I make top 20 whenever I can clay at my payout time, top 10 if I'm lucky, top 5 if I'm really lucky.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299