Changes in movies - A New Hope, lightsaber duel reimagined (fan made)

Boo
4134 posts Member
We usually get to see our favourite movies or classic movies in different versions or with a few additional scenes added to them. Star Wars is no different.

The OT (original versions) were and are brilliant. Lucas himself saw cause to go back and change some parts in his Special Edition 1997 versions. Some good - such as additional content of Cloud City and some bad - who shot first?

I am generally not opposed to making changes in the movies, just as long as their original versions remain available.

With the Alien Quadriology boxet we got:

Alien (theatrical release) and Alien (Director's Cut) on separate discs
Aliens (theatrical release) and Aliens (Special Edition) on a separate disc
we also got 2 completely different versions of Alien 3

So why do we not get this for Star Wars? Why can we not get the changed/updated versions but also get the original theatrical release versions on separate discs when we buy a Star Wars collector edition boxset?

This could stretch to the PT - updated pod race scenes, and waterfall arrival in Theed or ATOC meet the parents or ROTS more senate and Palp & Anakin manipulations etc.

However the reason for this post is I love the OT and would hate to change them but its done.

Despite Lucas' apparent need to change them, ruining many scenes needlessly - he never changed the lame lightsaber duel between Darth Vader and Obi Wan, which remains quite terrible to this day - especially as this is a follow-up to their last explosive duel on Mustafar.

A collection of fans have got together and have recreated that scene so it too is explosive as it should have been. It would be nice to have such an edit added to the movies - again, as long as the original theatrical releases always remain available to the purist fans, such as myself.

Enjoy:

https://youtu.be/kFC7Jf2vO-Y