Playing for the tie - which is a loss anyway

sir_Phantom_Jedi
410 posts Member
edited January 2018
This is a classic case of unsportsmanlike behavior where teams put all weak teams in defense so they can use all their strong teams of offense; this results in both teams clearing the board and it ends up in a tie (a loss for both teams).

This happened to us and we cleared the board in 4 hours; in fact it was so easy that 1/3 of our guild weren't even awake by the time it was cleared.
Our opponents put in fleets that were around 150k; and this is a 120m GP guild. The difference between the guilds was 4m.

Our opponent had no intention of even trying to win, they just wanted to stop us from winning.

To combat this I would make 2 suggestions - Increase the rewards for winning OR reward 5 banners for a successful defence battle

James
Looking for 1 member with 3.5m+ GP roster to help in GEO TB; we are 185m guild who are 70-6 in TW.

Replies

• Options
    Just throwing this out there and tbh I'm in a 55 mil guild so tw is a bit different down here but two points

1. This is a viable strategy at lower levels because you really don't know what you are going to run into on the other team and you may need that g12 cls team because you are the only one in your guild that has it fully powered and ready to go

2. At higher levels where ties are so common personally I'd rather keep all my strong teams that I like using and put crap on defense because it's more fun to use strong teams especially if the outcome is going to be a tie anyways

As a possible solution you could leave your 120 mil guild find a 55 mil guild and come do tw down where it's fun and competitive and a tie isn't as likely and strategy really matters
  • Options
    Shouldn't be able to win a territory war with rubbish defence.

In a real war killing all the troops means you get to the pillaging and slave trading!

A tie should be a very uncommon event. Or in loot box pride and accomplishment parlance the best chance for a tie should be equivalent to scoring 330 shards in a 5-330 pack

Frankly if I was in a guild where the leader aimed for a draw (and guaranteed last place prizes for his entire guild) I would absolutely be leaving for greener pastures.
    | ANZGC | Exile |
  • Options
    Draws are very common in higher guilds - my 130m GP guild is 2 wins, 2 draws and 2 losses
    Looking for 1 member with 3.5m+ GP roster to help in GEO TB; we are 185m guild who are 70-6 in TW.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    I really, really dislike the def banner idea.
    Guild in the higher brackets they play for the draw are just chickens imo. Take the moral victory and move on.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • thomssi
    526 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Well if they cleared your board then your defence wasn't strong enough either......

I doubt anyone is playing for draws as there is absolutely zero to be gained. Only thing is bragging rights of not losing and haven't seen any of that. More game mechanics are broken for high level guilds where the number cap means it is not possible to post one that is good enough.

You may also have instances where people put a ton on defence, still lost (whether wiped out or not) and failed on attack so they changed the balance. Some of this is just learning from experience.

Regardless, while I do think the mechanics need fixing and a more complex matching system as well (at least include number participants with active GP) these constant complaints that are 90% the same are really rather tedious. The devs have known the issues since day 1 and said they were looking at it but claiming people are playing for a draw is rather ridiculous when you get same rewards as losing. My favoured solution is changing level caps based on GP bracket as well as participants as they have deeper rosters per player but others viable (not def points though), downside is more time but if you are in a 120m plus guild you are probably happy spending a bunch of time anyway. I think there needs to be a real decision between filling defence and saving for attack rather than just what to fill it with and that clearly isn't the case with high guilds now but this type of thing is more changing mechanics than scoring.
  • Options
    Let the Guild who posted most GP in defense win. OR the Guild that used fewest attack attempts.
  • Options
    leef wrote: »
    Guild in the higher brackets they play for the draw are just chickens imo. Take the moral victory and move on.

I personally think having small prizes for holding areas would be the better solution. It would promote holding on defense. Wouldn't have to be anything great just something. That way if you are in a guild that goes all out offense your missing out on gear pieces. I wouldn't stay in a guild that is losing out on rewards just to say we haven't lost.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    ProximaB1_ wrote: »

I personally think having small prizes for holding areas would be the better solution. It would promote holding on defense. Wouldn't have to be anything great just something. That way if you are in a guild that goes all out offense your missing out on gear pieces. I wouldn't stay in a guild that is losing out on rewards just to say we haven't lost.

I'm fine with that. Giving banners for successfull defenses just makes TW way too complex.
  • Options
    Devs have stated they wanted to see guilds put up better defense. Single banner for a defense win rewards the behavior. Clearly no one wants a tie, these threads appear multiple times after every TW, I don't see what the resistance is.
    For some reason someone had argued it would be better to put it on the attacker - Like a win is 2 points for each surviving attacker (max 10) - I honestly don't care which. I'm but a simple man, and my small mind doesn't see how one is better then the other, but so it goes.
    Point is, some variation in the numbers should have been addressed at TW inception. It was brought up in the Beta, multiple times. I don't see how it wasn't addressed.
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • Options
    For those that are trying to argue that playing for a tie makes sense or is a viable strategy, please substitute "loss" for "tie" as the rewards for both are the same. Which is why intentionally playing for a loss makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Maegor
    1217 posts Member
    Options
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    For those that are trying to argue that playing for a tie makes sense or is a viable strategy, please substitute "loss" for "tie" as the rewards for both are the same. Which is why intentionally playing for a loss makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Agreed. I have no respect for guilds that play for a tie. I actually hope their members look at that tactic and are so disgusted they leave the guild.
  • Options
    Ok....I’ve been playing for a year, spend a bit, and boosted my GP big time for TB which predates TW. I’m 2.2 mil GP in a 122mil GP guild. My roster lacks depth and zetas because I buy ships and spent my first 3 months in a very casual guild. That means lots of G9 toons and only a dozen or so decent mods sets.

The last 3 territory Wars I was instructed to place 4 good teams on defense which I did. That left me a few synergized counter teams for offense with subpar mods. All 3 wars we barely cleared 50% of their side while they always cleared ours. It was no fun going against arena teams/mods with ewoks and G9 jedi.

This last TW I set my arena team on defense and 3 60-75000 GP decent/symergized teams that most here would probably consider “throwing crap” on defense...well you know what? I had a blast beating 4 quality arena teams of theirs and 2 other mediocre squads. We tied and i had a blast. So I don’t blame anyone who wants to actually compete on offense. And no none of my teams featured a leader with no ability/G7 or below toons/non synergy. Any guild leader who tries to deny me fun is a guild worth leaving.

I’m not saying they shouldn’t fix the ties, I’m just saying I refuse to put everything on defense. Give me some event free time and I will gear up better squads and farm better mods.
  • Maegor
    1217 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    People aren't talking about running into 60-70k defensive teams as the junk. They're talking about seeing 200 30-40k teams and then 50 sub 200k fleets.

At least at the 120M range anyway.
  • Options
    Draws are very common in higher guilds - my 130m GP guild is 2 wins, 2 draws and 2 losses

How is a draw very common, if you had only two draws in 6 attempts?
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Kalano wrote: »

1 in 5 would probably be a more fair ratio since no one knew what they were doing the first TW (wich would have likely resulted in a draw).
  • Options
    Kalano wrote: »

1 in 5 would probably be a more fair ratio since no one knew what they were doing the first TW (wich would have likely resulted in a draw).

This. We tied our first 2. Haven't tied since.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Options
    thomssi wrote: »
    Well if they cleared your board then your defence wasn't strong enough either......

By not setting defensive teams gives you an extra 250 attacking teams; there is no defence set up possible to stop this.
  • Naw
    969 posts Member
    Options
    For some reason someone had argued it would be better to put it on the attacker - Like a win is 2 points for each surviving attacker (max 10) - I honestly don't care which. I'm but a simple man, and my small mind doesn't see how one is better then the other, but so it goes.

I pitched something like that a while ago, but I like +1 for defense more however....
    Point is, some variation in the numbers should have been addressed at TW inception. It was brought up in the Beta, multiple times. I don't see how it wasn't addressed.

I’m now unsure if ties are actually a problem. If we cleared opponent’s map we should not be penalized for that, we wiped them out.

Invest in defense as much as you can without compromising your offensive capabilities. There’s a fine line balancing each which makes TW very interesting.

Sports has been used as an example saying that all teams want to win. Why yes, but sometimes teams choose to play for a tie, which is the best they can realistically expect. Nothing wrong with that.
  • Options
    thomssi wrote: »

I doubt anyone is playing for draws as there is absolutely zero to be gained. Only thing is bragging rights of not losing and haven't seen any of that. More game mechanics are broken for high level guilds where the number cap means it is not possible to post one that is good enough.

You may also have instances where people put a ton on defence, still lost (whether wiped out or not) and failed on attack so they changed the balance. Some of this is just learning from experience.

Regardless, while I do think the mechanics need fixing and a more complex matching system as well (at least include number participants with active GP) these constant complaints that are 90% the same are really rather tedious. The devs have known the issues since day 1 and said they were looking at it but claiming people are playing for a draw is rather ridiculous when you get same rewards as losing. My favoured solution is changing level caps based on GP bracket as well as participants as they have deeper rosters per player but others viable (not def points though), downside is more time but if you are in a 120m plus guild you are probably happy spending a bunch of time anyway. I think there needs to be a real decision between filling defence and saving for attack rather than just what to fill it with and that clearly isn't the case with high guilds now but this type of thing is more changing mechanics than scoring.

Actually the guild leader of our last opposition openly admitted they were going for a draw.

Yes our def wasn't strong enough I agree. And that's fine. We put the very best we could in set so I'm happy with that.

If I were currently a member of that other guild I would be considering if my future there
    | ANZGC | Exile |
  • Options
    Ok....I’ve been playing for a year, spend a bit, and boosted my GP big time for TB which predates TW. I’m 2.2 mil GP in a 122mil GP guild. My roster lacks depth and zetas because I buy ships and spent my first 3 months in a very casual guild. That means lots of G9 toons and only a dozen or so decent mods sets.

The last 3 territory Wars I was instructed to place 4 good teams on defense which I did. That left me a few synergized counter teams for offense with subpar mods. All 3 wars we barely cleared 50% of their side while they always cleared ours. It was no fun going against arena teams/mods with ewoks and G9 jedi.

This last TW I set my arena team on defense and 3 60-75000 GP decent/symergized teams that most here would probably consider “throwing ****” on defense...well you know what? I had a blast beating 4 quality arena teams of theirs and 2 other mediocre squads. We tied and i had a blast. So I don’t blame anyone who wants to actually compete on offense. And no none of my teams featured a leader with no ability/G7 or below toons/non synergy. Any guild leader who tries to deny me fun is a guild worth leaving.

I’m not saying they shouldn’t fix the ties, I’m just saying I refuse to put everything on defense. Give me some event free time and I will gear up better squads and farm better mods.

this guy gets it
  • Options
    So people arguing that you shouldn't play for a tie and you have no respect for the guilds that do, if your guild swept all the enemies territories and then they did the same to you but at a later hour, would you have no respect for them then? Since they had no way to win since you already cleared their territorydo you think they should have not swept your territories?
  • Options
    So people arguing that you shouldn't play for a tie and you have no respect for the guilds that do, if your guild swept all the enemies territories and then they did the same to you but at a later hour, would you have no respect for them then? Since they had no way to win since you already cleared their territorydo you think they should have not swept your territories?

That’s completely different. I don’t think I need to explain it.

Our guild tanked on d once (last TW). Yes, it was an intentional troll move. That was the purpose.
  • YanM123
    40 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

We just got forced into a tie... The opposite guild had only 30-80k defensive teams (nothing you couldn't beat with a g8 phoenix team). We cleared their board in 3 hours and had NO fun whatsoever doing so. In the meantime, they had a lot of challenging battles to go through because our guild actually attempted to play like the game is supposed to be played.

So no.. I do not have any respect for them. The moment the TW started, they had their mind on forcing a tie. We spent countless hours planning a nice defence (because we enjoy the strategy part of the game) and then we get forced into this dump.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Options

Playing for the opponent to not win is a perfectly viable strategy. With a bit of luck, you'll win a few even.
  • Options
    Waqui wrote: »

Playing for the opponent to not win is a perfectly viable strategy. With a bit of luck, you'll win a few even.

No I disagree. If you put a weak defense there is no way you can win. So playing for the tie or for the opponent to not win is not beneficial to either side - you both come away with the last place.

Congrats if you are aiming for 2nd. Sounds um great??
    | ANZGC | Exile |
  • Options
    I understand why a guild would do this, it keeps the competition of getting ahead of you. I definitely feel this tactic is dishonorable but in scenarios where a guild feels they simply cannot win I can see the appeal. Also take into account that some guilds might not realize they set a weak defense. Especially now with gear 12, what used to be somewhat of a challenge is a joke. Most people in this game only have 1 or 2 great squads. Everything else after that just goes downhill.

Also remember that offensively you are at huge advantage against the AI. You should be winning the majority of the time on offense.
  • Options
    YanM123 wrote: »

We just got forced into a tie... The opposite guild had only 30-80k defensive teams (nothing you couldn't beat with a g8 phoenix team). We cleared their board in 3 hours and had NO fun whatsoever doing so. In the meantime, they had a lot of challenging battles to go through because our guild actually attempted to play like the game is supposed to be played.

So no.. I do not have any respect for them. The moment the TW started, they had their mind on forcing a tie. We spent countless hours planning a nice defence (because we enjoy the strategy part of the game) and then we get forced into this dump.

I'm not asking about guilds that set bad defence
  • Options
    TW mathematics are broken. If a tie pays as a loss, and most of these result in ties, why try? My guild has 1 win, 1 loss and 4 ties. Thus, all of the additional effort we have put into TWs has netted us 1 additional zeta as opposed to doing nothing at all and just taking a loss. It's very difficult to get 50 people motivated to participate in an event like this when doing nothing at all would have just paid the same. Fix the math before everyone becomes so disenchanted with this event and puts forth no effort at all
  • Options
    phatphil3 wrote: »
    I understand why a guild would do this, it keeps the competition of getting ahead of you. I definitely feel this tactic is dishonorable but in scenarios where a guild feels they simply cannot win I can see the appeal.

All TW's are matched against guilds around the same GP so if you don't try for the win then you can't.