Are Phoenix worth spending Zetas on?

Prev1
I have 2 Zetas to use and I'm wondering if they can win in the top of Arena?

My Phoenix are still needing Gear though https://swgoh.gg/u/lilpuppy99/collection/?f=phoenix

Replies

• No they cant
  • Kanan's zeta is up there with Finn in how much it changes the dynamic of the team. It is a phenomenal zeta choice.
  • Kanan's zeta is up there with Finn in how much it changes the dynamic of the team. It is a phenomenal zeta choice.

Interesting, thanks.
  • We have 2 full zeta phoenix teams in our shard, and they used to poke into top 50 on occassion, but not since JTR and the 2nd CLS event.

They can beat some meta teams on offense, but the phoenix team will fall hard on defense.

In my opinion, it isnt worth any zeta on phoenix whether for arena or any other part of the game.
  • Mobewan wrote: »
    We have 2 full zeta phoenix teams in our shard, and they used to poke into top 50 on occassion, but not since JTR and the 2nd CLS event.

They can beat some meta teams on offense, but the phoenix team will fall hard on defense.

In my opinion, it isnt worth any zeta on phoenix whether for arena or any other part of the game.

Also interesting, thank you. I guess by the time you got Thrawn 7* then what's the point in investing in them, right?
  • Wait let’s back up for a second. You have a maxed out CLS and Zolo and you don’t want to run them in area?
    We have 2 full zeta phoenix teams in our shard, and they used to poke into top 50 on occassion, but not since JTR and the 2nd CLS event.

Also interesting, thank you. I guess by the time you got Thrawn 7* then what's the point in investing in them, right?

They are required in LSTB, additionally gear/zetas affect their ships strength which are required for Chimaera.

You'll eventually need 2-3 full squads for TB/TW. If you're investing enough into them to get 7* Thrawn, why would you stop until they can go 6/6 in LSTB and get you Chimaera?

Random antidotal sidebar: I know not every arena shard is the same, but on my Dec '15 shard that is 90% CLS or RJT leads there is a g12 4 zeta Phoenix squad in top 10. I've never seen it drop below 25. Phoenix does lose some steam in the early-end game, but a geared-well modded-zeta squad can absolutely compete in arena.

Because they are required for LSTB, and their ships for Chimaera. You'll eventually need multiple teams for LS/DSTB & TW. Why stop until they can full clear TB so it's one less squad you have to use?

There is a full g12 4-zeta Phoenix squad in the top 10 of my Dec '15 shard. I rarely see them fall outside top 20.
  • Mobewan
    702 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    @DedrickRogue that is very rare from what ive seen for them to stay in top 20. They are very possibly in a shard discord and get left alone. That looks like the exception that proves the rule. People who like and use Phoenix say they drop hard.

And you definitely dont need g12 full zeta phoenix to unlock chimera, seriously?

And there are so many better invesents of teams for tb/tw that would get you better resuslts for 5 g12 gear and 5 zetas.
    Post edited by Mobewan on
    @DedrickRogue that is very rare from what ive seen for them to stay in top 20. They are very possibly in a shard discord and get left alone. That looks like the exception that proves the rule. People who like and use Phoenix say they drop hard.
    So it must be collusion since your people say they drop? Every team drops, every team loses on defense. The only team that loses less ground at a time is the carbon copy of what the majority of people in that shard are running at any given time. This is the only way you will get attacked mostly for your position alone, rather then team makeup contributing.
    Mobewan wrote: »
    And you definitely dont need g12 full zeta phoenix to unlock chimera, seriously?

And there are so many better invesents of teams for tb/tw that would get you better resuslts for 5 g12 gear and 5 zetas.

I never said to take them to g12, or spend 5 zetas? I also never said you needed g12 to get Chimaera. What are you talking about?

I said.... "Kanan's zeta is a phenomenal choice, that changes the whole dynamic of the team." I also said... "If you're gonna gear them up for Thrawn, you might as well get them to a point where they can full clear LSTB."

I don't have a single g12 Phoenix, and only 1 zeta on the squad, nor do I run them in arena; so either I'm terrible at taking my own advice or you're way off base.

Also, I very much disagree; there is no faction in the game that provides as much return on investment as Phoenix.

If lilpup's g12 CLS, Thrawn, RHan, DN, Leia and r2 aren't getting it done in arena; slapping a zeta on a g8 Kanan isn't going to help....in arena. It will make an under geared Phoenix team punch way above it's weight class though.
  • I put a zeta on Ezra and use him as the prime damage dealer in my jedi squad he hits like a Mack truck and pushed me from about 250 to flirting with top 100 on my alt account
  • @DedrickRogue
    You call it colusion, most people call it coordination.
    It's on the forums for people to find their shardmates, there is nothing sinister about it, and said it may explain why you see one phoenix team staying inside top 20 while I've chatted on this forum with fully zeta phoenix teams who say you will drop hard on defense more than other teams.

And yes, you were encouraging him to get them fully zeta. Your post was in response to one guy asking why invest in them more than needed to unlock thrawn, and then you go on about some phoenix team in your shard.
  • Wow, all the unexpected anger here aside, I was literally about to ask this very same question. My reason is I'm bored of losing against CLS teams with my own CLS team. There's so little diversity in arena. My next step was going to be NS, but I thought... if went all out on Phoenix, couldn't a fully zeta'd team do pretty well (and be fairly unique)? But it sounds like... maybe... I'm not sure but... the answer is no? Probably?
  • Mobewan
    702 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    You'd be better off improving your own team.
    Crit damage mods for damage dealers
    High speed secondaries
    Effective attack order

I just saw your profile, and i think you should be running the titan team
    Cls, raid han, r2, gk, thrawn

Your thrawn needs a speed set and so does gk. Lead the charge with 225 speed from gk is killer. R2 could be faster....he should be faster than the opposing thrawn. Or thrawn is fastest and give r2 his first turn.
    Han and CLS speed are ok. But han should have the potency cross, not cls.

There is no reason to lose to other CLS squads on offense with that team
    @DedrickRogue
    You call it colusion, most people call it coordination.
    It's on the forums for people to find their shardmates, there is nothing sinister about it, and said it may explain why you see one phoenix team staying inside top 20 while I've chatted on this forum with fully zeta phoenix teams who say you will drop hard on defense more than other teams.

And yes, you were encouraging him to get them fully zeta. Your post was in response to one guy asking why invest in them more than needed to unlock thrawn, and then you go on about some phoenix team in your shard.

My literal 2 sentences about someone in my shard was in reference to you saying how Phoenix can't crack top 50 since CLS and RJT. I was stating that it's simply not true.

Please enlighten me and provide a quote where I advised OP to go all in on zetas on Phoenix..... Even better, I'd love to see where I suggested any zeta besides Kanan.
  • Mobewan
    702 posts Member
    edited January 2018

Because they are required for LSTB, and their ships for Chimaera. You'll eventually need multiple teams for LS/DSTB & TW. Why stop until they can full clear TB so it's one less squad you have to use?

There is a full g12 4-zeta Phoenix squad in the top 10 of my Dec '15 shard. I rarely see them fall outside top 20.

That @DedrickRogue

Read what the coastaljames wrote, which you quoted, and read what you wrote my friend

This looks like you are answering coastaljames about why should someone invest in phoenix beyond unlocking thrawn

Look man, I'm just trying to help the guy out based on what i saw in my shard (which i stated originally), and that people who use phoenix and love phoenix fully zeta find that they fall hard on defense every day.

Look out for the best interest of the OP.
    He already had a great team
  • @Lilpup your best zeta i can see on your profile is thrawn ebb and flow.
    You'd be better off improving your own team.
    Crit damage mods for damage dealers
    High speed secondaries
    Effective attack order

I just saw your profile, and i think you should be running the titan team
    Cls, raid han, r2, gk, thrawn

Your thrawn needs a speed set and so does gk. Lead the charge with 225 speed from gk is killer. R2 could be faster....he should be faster than the opposing thrawn. Or thrawn is fastest and give r2 his first turn.
    Han and CLS speed are ok. But han should have the potency cross, not cls.

There is no reason to lose to other CLS squads on offense with that team

Thanks for all the replies guys. Seems I sparked a lil debate. The reason I started thinking about Phoenix was they seems to be a team needed in a bunch of different events. I still haven't beat the bonus stage where Sidiuous AOE's my entire Phoenix squad.

As far as my roster https://swgoh.gg/u/lilpuppy99/collection/ I do have a fully geared and/or zeta'd R2, GK and Han Solo. My CLS and Nihlus are both fully geared, but missing their Leadership Zeta. My Thrawn is fully geared and just missing his Ebb and Flow Zeta and my Barriss is zeta'd but I just got her to G12 so she needs those 3 gear pieces.

I have been switching in Arena between CLS, Zolo, R2, GK, and Thrawn and GK, Zarriss, R2, Zihlus, and Thrawn.

I usually fall to around 50 on defense and can climb to around 20 with my 5 attacks. I have 2 Zeta's ready to go to someone. I will move some mods around and see how that works. Thank you.
    @Lilpup your best zeta i can see on your profile is thrawn ebb and flow.

Hi, Yes I still have yet to zeta Thrawn. I wasn't sure how that would help since I don't use him with other Empire. Of my top toons, I also need to zeta CLS and Nihlus Leaderships. I currently am sitting on two Zeta's that I can use.

The other zetas that I have been considering are Savage's, Jyn Erso's , BB8, General Veers, and Darth Maul. I had been hoping Palpatine would get a rework/zeta this month but so far nothing.

Does Ebb and Flow really make that much of a difference in Arena? How does Luke lead stack up on offense vs the MT, JTR, GK/Zarriss teams? Do I need to use my 2 zetas on those two to get back to #1?
  • Mobewan
    702 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    @Lilpup after you work in mods, try using a refresh for 5 extra battles for a couple of days as long as you can beat everyone. The higher payout will get you back more than the cost of the refresh.

Furthermore, doing this refresh for a couple days may get you out of the highly competitive 30 to 50 range where you will see alot of movement.

Finally, its time to find your shardmates.
    Look in the forums for the names of the top 10 and you should find a post for your shard. With a good team, and communication with your shardmates, its much easier to get top 5 payouts. There is also a site where you can try finding your shard
    http://shard.swgoh.life/index.php

Finding your shardmates is not some evil devious mechanism. It prevents you from getting people upset if you try to climb during their payout and you know how some players carry a grudge or whatever. Your shardmates are probably cool dudes just like you trying to get some crystals while having fun. Go find them
  • LOL..I know my shard mates..i've been in that chat since June of last year.
  • I think the problem is what you said, the 30-50 is highly competitive and most of the shard mates in chat are in the top 20.
  • @Lilpup

I think its just a matter of team composition.

i use leia instead of thrawn since i dont have him yet, and its a breeze how much dps i put out

I think DN is great, and he might work for you instead of thrawn. His zeta would be good against JTR teams. But i dont have him 7* so i cant really test @Lilpup

I think bariss is the weakness to be honest. Your shard rebels put out too much damage for her unless you have gk as lead, but that wont work anymore with JTR teams in the mix.
  • So could someone explain to me vs which team is it better to use my GK/Zarris team vs my CLS lead Titan team?
  • I would leave gk/bariss/dn on defense. Titans wjll avoid you.

On offense, go with titans.

JTR will beat both pretty easily, but CLS titans will go around you
  • Lilpup wrote: »
    @Lilpup your best zeta i can see on your profile is thrawn ebb and flow.

Does Ebb and Flow really make that much of a difference in Arena? How does Luke lead stack up on offense vs the MT, JTR, GK/Zarriss teams? Do I need to use my 2 zetas on those two to get back to #1?

Ebb & Flow is an incredible zeta, I'd rank it significantly higher then DN or CLS lead. Even if you just use him as a support toon in a rebel squad, that +50% counter & +50% tenacity is huge. He has a 45% base tenacity, so that gives him a 145% base tenacity when fracturing. Nothing is worse then fracturing someone and Thrawn catching an immediate Daze.

If you're gonna run CLS led rebels, then I guess it's worth it. I'm not a huge fan of his zeta, his lead is great already, and unless you run OB or a few other debuffing rebels the 5% TM per resisted doesn't trigger enough to justify a zeta IMO. That being said, I'm probably gonna pick it up next time, simply because I'm running out of obvious zeta options.

He already had a great team

This we can absolutely agree on. If arena is his focus, he already has a solid g12 rebel squad.
  • @DedrickRogue is right about ebb and flow. Its really great in arena

CLS leader zeta is only great against tenacity up like chaze or rex lead.
  • If I had to rate a Zeta'd Phoenix in each part of the game, it'd be:
    Arena - 6/10 - Like most teams, they can do fine on offence and if you mod them well enough, you can probably climb to the top 20... but you'll get kicked right down pretty **** hard on defence.
    Pit - 4/10 - No TM reduction, but they can survive until the Rancor starts chomping people, and do decent-ish damage in that time.
    Tank - 8/10 - Surprisingly good. The amount of exposes they have and TM bumps means that they can take out the cannons and droids easily even on Heroic. Damage to the main target isn't as good, but you can still do decent numbers.
    GW - 9/10 - Huge sustain means they're likely to end on 100% health+protection.
    Ships - 7/10 - The ships are good, but not top-tier like TIE Advanced or Kylo Ren's Shuttle. They work best in Rebel squads, which is an issue because Empire dominates Fleet Arena. However, they're needed for Chimaera, which is an amazing capital ship.
    TB - 10/10 - Extreme levels of survivability and debuffs means that Phoenix can blast through all but the toughest waves, and even those barely slow them down.
    TW - 5/10 - Similar to their arena performance. Weak defence means you've gotta put them on offence, but the varying levels of team strength in TW mean that you'll either crush them and feel like you wasted a team, or get decimated, and feel like you wasted a team.