There is nothing wrong with the Galaxy War. (Unpopular Opinion)

Preface
I'm not a whale. At least I don't consider myself one. I've put a total of about $200 into the game. Including gift cards and such. I am lvl 70, with only three 7* toons. I do have five 6* toons and six 5*s with plenty of 4*s. Most are purple geared but not maxed. I have spread the love. I finish in the top 50 in my arena, but not usually higher than 20 and I'm ok with that for now. I'm planning for the future lvl 80 cap raise. Now that you know what my inventory looks like. Here comes the cold water.

Alright here it goes. There is NOTHING wrong with the Galaxy War. It is NOT too hard. If anything it should be HARDER, with higher rewards. Maybe add an "endless mode" until it actually becomes unclearable. The deeper your bench the deeper you go.

The PROBLEM is it was previously too easy and everyone dumped all their resources into 5 toons for their arena teams. Galaxy War should not be clearable with 5 toons. It should require your entire inventory. It should not be doable for everyone. Why are there no "Arena is broken" threads? Why isn't there threads saying "I'm level 50 and the top teams are level 70, its not fair.".

It should take time to build the toon required to clear just like it takes time to build a top 10 arena team. I don't want the game to be easier. I want it to give me something to work at for the next few months. If I finished #1 in arena and cleared the GW in 5 mins with my arena team I would get very bored very quickly.

Why are people asking for new game modes, but then asking to have the current modes neutered so they are fast and easy. Seems silly to me.

Replies

• Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Do you know how many people have started threads like this -- especially people like yourself who haven't been around quite as long as some others -- and then two weeks later followed up with "oh, THAT is what they were complaining about"?
    GW difficulty is bugged. Don't assume your experience is equivalent to everyone else's. When level 50 teams are getting multiple level 70 opponents, that is not how this is supposed to work, and the devs have even acknowledged this.
    So yes, there is indeed something wrong with GW.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Qeltar wrote: »
    Do you know how many people have started threads like this -- especially people like yourself who haven't been around quite as long as some others -- and then two weeks later followed up with "oh, THAT is what they were complaining about"?
    GW difficulty is bugged. Don't assume your experience is equivalent to everyone else's.

I've been reading these forums for months. I don't post often. I know I should feel honored to have @Qeltar make an appearance in my thread. I've been playing pre and post GW hard mode began. I have a thread where I screenshot'd every battle from round 3 on. Just about every one was lvl 70 7*s. I still managed to clear, but if I hadn't I wouldn't have complained about it. If your opinion is it should be clearable by everyone from the min you unlock it, I guess we will have to agree to disagree. I think you should have to work at it.
    When level 50 teams are getting multiple level 70 opponents, that is not how this is supposed to work

By that logic, why is ok for lvl 50 teams to compete with lvl 70 team for the top spot in Arena? That doesn't seem fair. Should you only compete in Arena against equal lvl opponents? As you lvl up you change Arenas? Should we make all the Arena rewards the same so there is no advantage for being lvl 70? Sounds like everyone wants participation awards...
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    I have a thread where I screenshot'd every battle from round 3 on. Just about every one was lvl 70 7*s.
    That would be the thread entitled "That time RNG worked for you..." where you describe winning because "the stars aligned"? :)
    I think you should have to work at it.
    So do I. But I also think that if you do work at it, you should have a fair chance of winning. Right now that is often not the case.
    You talk about your "B team" having characters in the 60s. There are people whose "A teams" are in the 50s getting multiple level 70 opponents. There is nothing to "work at", they have no chance to win at all, regardless of RNG, period, end of discussion.
    By that logic, why is ok for lvl 50 teams to compete with lvl 70 team for the top spot in Arena?
    Nice argument, except for one problem -- that doesn't actually happen:
    1. The game deliberately (and smartly) puts new players into new leaderboards. As long as you remain active you will usually be approximately the same level and power as other players near you in arena, staying pretty close to the maxed players (except for a handful of whales).
    2. If for some reason you were to become inactive and fall 20 levels behind, you'd get pushed down the leaderboard until you ended up near players who were, again, approximately the same level and power. You would then fight these players, and slowly build your team up and go up the ladder. Someone at level 50 on a leaderboard with level 70s would never be matched up against a level 70.
    That would be the thread entitled "That time RNG worked for you..." where you describe winning because "the stars aligned"? :)

Nope, but that was awesome.
    Qeltar wrote: »
    You talk about your "B team" having characters in the 60s. There are people whose "A teams" are in the 50s getting multiple level 70 opponents. There is nothing to "work at", they have no chance to win at all, regardless of RNG, period, end of discussion.

There is plenty to work at... like having a bench with lvl 60 toons... I've you are not lvl 70 I don't think you should finish GW, just like I don't think you should take first place on your server. It's not a hit on people that just started or haven't done the grind, but if you expect to be 1st or you expect to clear the GW, it should take time and effort. I'm going to generalize... so take it easy on the following numbers. If you're lvl 50 you should clear the first 3rd-ish of GW and finish in the top 200ish of arena. Once you make it to lvl 60 clear 2/3rds... finish top 100... and so on. If you are not a maxed I don't think you should be able to finish it. Gives you something to work at. That's just me though. It wouldn't be fun if you unlocked it at lvl 40 and cleared it everyday with your main 5 until your lvl 70.... then what? Why not just put the rewards in your inbox everyday instead of having the game mode at all.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    There is plenty to work at... like having a bench with lvl 60 toons... I've you are not lvl 70 I don't think you should finish GW, just like I don't think you should take first place on your server.
    This is the "GW is endgame content myth". I once believed in it as well.
    Except it is not true. It has been specifically clarified by the executive producer of the game that GW is intended to be challenging but achievable at any level after 40. It is not only for level 70s.
    People in the 40s and 50s DO take first place on their shards. Because they are fighting other 40s and 50s. You are arguing against yourself.
    Your entire premise is invalid. I'm also unclear on why you seem to be ignoring the fact that the devs have already admitted that GW matchmaking is bugged and they are working to fix it?
    There is plenty to work at... like having a bench with lvl 60 toons... I've you are not lvl 70 I don't think you should finish GW, just like I don't think you should take first place on your server.
    This is the "GW is endgame content myth". I once believed in it as well.
    Except it is not true. It has been specifically clarified by the executive producer of the game that GW is intended to be challenging but achievable at any level after 40.
    Your entire premise is invalid. I'm also unclear on why you seem to be ignoring the fact that the devs have already admitted that GW matchmaking is bugged and they are working to fix it?

Fair enough. How it was designed or intended to work is not how I might think it should work. Since we are on the internet though... My way is the right way of course.
  • It is also very much worth noting that a deep bench is useless in GW, unless by deep bench you mean multiple completely maxed out teams.

Since GW is based on your highest power arena team that won, bench is really not applicable, cause a solid level 60 team at 4-5 stars wont win against a level 70 team with purple gears and 7 stars
  • Sparrow wrote: »
    It is also very much worth noting that a deep bench is useless in GW, unless by deep bench you mean multiple completely maxed out teams.

Since GW is based on your highest power arena team that won, bench is really not applicable, cause a solid level 60 team at 4-5 stars wont win against a level 70 team with purple gears and 7 stars

They've don't need to win. In a lot a lot of cases I use them just to soak up the teams first round specials. If they are mid range toons I may try to blast down 1 character so my main squad only has to deal with 4.
    GW difficulty is bugged. Don't assume your experience is equivalent to everyone else's. When level 50 teams are getting multiple level 70 opponents, that is not how this is supposed to work, and the devs have even acknowledged this.
    So yes, there is indeed something wrong with GW.

Clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap...and boom goes the dynamite! Excellent response. It is indeed badly broken. I only have the 7* toons two 6* and two 5* yet some how the entire second half of my GW yesterday was five 7* characters maxed geared. And I faces the same combo and they're toons were in the exact same spots for three matches in a row. Second time this week I haven't beaten GW. And when I do it takes 40+ retreats. Even after they fixed retreat is didn't used to be like this...
    ☮ Consular ☮
  • It's weird. It's such a mixed bag. I will get some days where it is super easy, yes borderline boring.

Then I get some days where it is nearly perfect. Days where I literally have to use my entire collection and I can barely finish or sometimes don't finish. That's fine. Usually I realize if I had done something different then I could have completed it. Those days it's usually 12 squads that are all reasonably close to my power level. Some a little lower, some a little higher. Those days it's very fun because it's difficult to beat squad after squad that is in level and power.

Then comes the days where part way through I run into a squad that is just ridiculously better... Like 7-8k power better with nice synergies. Those squads take 5 toons at a time to kill one of their toons. I had to go through nearly 20 chars to dispose of one of these squads last week and it was only in the 9th node.

I guess if this is what is intended by the Devs then so be it but I don't think it is. I think they are attempting to find a balance... A war of attrition so to speak. They want you to lose toons. You should lose toons!

I agree that people shouldn't be able to power through it with their main squad. In fact... I'm not sure if it's set up this way or not but I have noticed that on the occasions that I have tried to plow through it with my mains, those are the days that I run into an OP SQUAD. Maybe this is the intention? Maybe each node difficulty is triggered by the squad that you fought the last node with? I definitely seem to have easier runs when I mix and match my chars based on the matchup in each node. Plus it's fun to no test out some new toons that I am bringing up through the ranks.

In other words if I have a node where I am up against a level 55 squad then I will put some of my toons in that are around that level. Obviously my healers are kept close to max so I have to mix them in.

I'm still trying to figure out if there is any kind of pattern to GW. I just know that it is infuriating when I get up against a squad that wastes two of my mains before I even get a turn. Otherwise, it seems like the Devs are trying to find a nice balance. It's a work in progress.
  • MrClean621 wrote: »
    It's weird. It's such a mixed bag. I will get some days where it is super easy, yes borderline boring.

Then I get some days where it is nearly perfect. Days where I literally have to use my entire collection and I can barely finish or sometimes don't finish. That's fine. Usually I realize if I had done something different then I could have completed it. Those days it's usually 12 squads that are all reasonably close to my power level. Some a little lower, some a little higher. Those days it's very fun because it's difficult to beat squad after squad that is in level and power.

Then comes the days where part way through I run into a squad that is just ridiculously better... Like 7-8k power better with nice synergies. Those squads take 5 toons at a time to kill one of their toons. I had to go through nearly 20 chars to dispose of one of these squads last week and it was only in the 9th node.

I guess if this is what is intended by the Devs then so be it but I don't think it is. I think they are attempting to find a balance... A war of attrition so to speak. They want you to lose toons. You should lose toons!

I agree that people shouldn't be able to power through it with their main squad. In fact... I'm not sure if it's set up this way or not but I have noticed that on the occasions that I have tried to plow through it with my mains, those are the days that I run into an OP SQUAD. Maybe this is the intention? Maybe each node difficulty is triggered by the squad that you fought the last node with? I definitely seem to have easier runs when I mix and match my chars based on the matchup in each node. Plus it's fun to no test out some new toons that I am bringing up through the ranks.

In other words if I have a node where I am up against a level 55 squad then I will put some of my toons in that are around that level. Obviously my healers are kept close to max so I have to mix them in.

I'm still trying to figure out if there is any kind of pattern to GW. I just know that it is infuriating when I get up against a squad that wastes two of my mains before I even get a turn. Otherwise, it seems like the Devs are trying to find a nice balance. It's a work in progress.

Yeah, If I recall correctly the Dev's admitted on one of their posts that GW match making is not working as intended and they are looking into a solution.
    ☮ Consular ☮