The current “meta”

Prev13
Smapty
1260 posts Member
edited January 2018
So what do you think?...

CLS is falling out of favor... Jedi Rey has come in strong... shes the FOTM for sure

But is she the “best”?

...there’s so many other options...

Nightsisters are strong vs most of the cliche meta teams (CLS & Jedi Rey) but they struggle vs Empire or really any team with some strong AOE. Some variations in NS teams but once you can bust em they are are super easy

Speaking of empire... some solid options now with probe droid and Starck in the mix. Still a strong contender and can hold their own in high end arena for sure. There sooo are many options for them... even characters like...

Wampa? Yeah he can make things interesting... I think he still has yet to be fully realized...

And the other “guild events” character...

Hermit Yoda... I’ve battled some amazing teams in TW that made me realize how awesome he can be in the right team

But what about Ewoks?

They beat all of the above easily but struggle on defense... still are super fun and highly effective... quite possibly the best player controlled team of all the others

And yet there’s so many more... FO with new Kylo? Rex led teams are making yet another comeback... Zarriss and Kenobi are always a solid choice

So who’s the best now?

The best and greatest answer is all of them... it’s Rock Paper Scissors and I’m pretty happy about it :)

So what are you running?

...still holding on to CLS? Or finally realizing NS? Maybe Jedi Rey... or Empire even?

Or maybe something completely different...

I’m using Ewoks and they kick some serious butt...

Arena is kinda fun again... its nice that no one team dominates them all :)

Replies

• dad2my3
    1561 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    I’ve never seen an Ewok in the arena. It’s been a really long time since I’ve seen an Empire team. Nightsisters came and went. Right now, it’s all the same meta combinations in the arena. I don’t mind.

That’s what the arena is all about. There are other sections of the game where I mix it up and play around with different teams and have fun. The arena is a source of crystals, where I play the most effective team during payout hour once a day, and if it’s the same team as everyone else—who cares? I just want to maintain my rank. If using a unique team makes me a target, then I’ll use my unique team in one of several other parts of the game, and stick to a carbon copy cookie cutter in the arena. I’m fine with that. There are other game modes that let me be creative.

Right now, I’m using Jedi Training Rey, R2, BB-8, GK, and CLS. I’ve tried others in that final spot, which is the only real variety at the moment.
  • Smapty
    1260 posts Member
    dad2my3 wrote: »
    I’ve never seen an Ewok in the arena. It’s been a really long time since I’ve seen an Empire team. Nightsisters came and went. Right now, it’s all the same meta combinations in the arena. I don’t mind.

That’s what the arena is all about. There are other sections of the game where I mix it up and play around with different teams and have fun. The arena is a source of crystals, where I play the most effective team during payout hour once a day, and if it’s the same team as everyone else—who cares? I just want to maintain my rank. If using a unique team makes me a target, then I’ll use my unique team in one of several other parts of the game, and stick to a carbon copy cookie cutter in the arena. I’m fine with that. There are other game modes that let me be creative.

You can be creative in arena... it might take some time and resources but it’s certainly an option (you might fail miserably but at least you tried something different)

I thought the Ewoks would “maybe” work and so I focused on them for a while... and they are fantastic

It’s been the same in the past with many teams... some failed but some broke the mold and held their own...

My perspective might be skewed because I’ve been playing since pretty much the beginning and have seeen so many “meta” teams come and go...

And I’ve always tried to find some alternative that can beat those teams...

But there’s more options now to place in the top 10 than I can ever remember...

It’s kind of what I’ve always wanted :)
  • Smapty
    1260 posts Member
    Maybe run a super high potency bounty hunter team under boba with Zarriss... can they even be killed?
    (Outside of insta kills from someone like Nihilus)

They might be awful but it’s possibly an unrealized super team....

How many people have them at g12 with g12 gear on them?

The regen from Zarriss would be insane...

Might be my next project ;)
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    i think you can be competative with alot of teams if you've got the mods and go all in on a certain squad, you just have to refresh to make the climb each day.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Smapty
    1260 posts Member
    leef wrote: »
    i think you can be competative with alot of teams if you've got the mods and go all in on a certain squad, you just have to refresh to make the climb each day.

Agreed... 50 crystals ain’t much if you are taking 500 at payout :)
  • SwiftMooky
    347 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Running the classic Titan team right now (sometimes subbing in Nihilus for GK, which is better depending on which team I face) but I'm running into all kinds of teams in the top 50 of my arena shard. Titan teams, GK-Zariss, NS, JTRey variations, etc. Glad to see the meta diversifying, but I would like more ways to gather an adequate amount of resources to build up toons other than my top 6 or so toons.

Currently farming Wampa right now, I'm excited to get him but also afraid I'll regret not getting Hoda once new Luke is released.
  • SwiftMooky wrote: »
    Running the classic Titan team right now (sometimes subbing in Nihilus for GK, which is better depending on which team I face) but I'm running into all kinds of teams in the top 50 of my arena shard. Titan teams, GK-Zariss, NS, JTRey variations, etc. Glad to see the meta diversifying, but I would like more ways to gather an adequate amount of resources to build up toons other than my top 6 or so toons.

Currently farming Wampa right now, I'm excited to get him but also afraid I'll regret not getting Hoda once new Luke is released.

What is classic titan team?
  • JTRey and NS are the two top arena teams
    Wampa/Hermit can be viable but they are just alternatives. Not mainstream
  • I do not have JTR yet so I needed to adapt to the new landscape brought about by JTR
    I used to use a GK/Zarris team exclusively, now I have to change arena teams during climb
    Rex lead against JTR
    GK/Zarris vs CLS, Empire,NS without aco
    CLS,Han Chaze vs NS with Aco
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Moved to strategy section
  • You say "still holding onto CLS?" Like he isn't the best and most insertable toon in the game lol
  • Experimentation is way more difficult 6 months into G12. Its tough(and I rank high in arena) to just G12 a team on a fun whim....rock, paper, scissors, yes. Mods are forever. G12 puts a monkey wrench into all of that.

With both TB’s and TW requiring resources be spread around(the WORST thing you could do for the first 18 months of this game) a full arena squad change to g12 would take me 2 months and that’s with top payouts in both arenas.

I like your thinking here, but for the large percentage of the player base, it’s not feasible. For the hyper focused player who just plays who he wants regardless of rank and guild contribution, it’s a dream come true.
  • I didnt get JTR this time, but i have to say that JTR has a far more powerful kit than CLS. Surprisingly, of all of the 5th spot toons people have tried, CLS is the weakest.

I just got CLS and am absolutely loving him. I cant auto arena battles like JTR or nightsister teams, but that would take the fun out of arena anyway.

Wiith so many CLS teams around and Chaze, i think the reign of nightsisters is over. They are very easy to beat now by most shards, but can still climb on auto against most teams. Troopers can beat nightsisters too, but i dont want to gear up 5 toons to g12 just for them.
  • Jetlife
    1367 posts Member
    Yup I do enjoy the meta right now. It’s a nice meta when you have to switch out certain toons in your team every battle depending on who you are fighting. Luke / rey / ns / rex / gk / aa / empire all viable teams and I might be missing some..

Let’s just hope there won’t be another toon that will break the meta again.. I’m looking at you CLS..

It’s getting close to the enjoyable meta we had just weeks before Luke arrived. Many different possible top 10 arena teams.
    Good job EA :smiley:
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Mobewan wrote: »
    I didnt get JTR this time, but i have to say that JTR has a far more powerful kit than CLS. Surprisingly, of all of the 5th spot toons people have tried, CLS is the weakest.

I just got CLS and am absolutely loving him. I cant auto arena battles like JTR or nightsister teams, but that would take the fun out of arena anyway.

Wiith so many CLS teams around and Chaze, i think the reign of nightsisters is over. They are very easy to beat now by most shards, but can still climb on auto against most teams. Troopers can beat nightsisters too, but i dont want to gear up 5 toons to g12 just for them.

using CLS as a plug 'n play character he's a whole lot weaker than with a team build specifically for him, that is very true.
    I also agree that auto-ing battles is overrated, it's fun 1 or 2 times just to be able to, then it becomes boring.
    I wish my leaderboard had many chazes, seems like they all benched them. NS galore though, undergeared ahol... kittens. For diversity it aint bad though.
  • crzydroid
    7254 posts Moderator
    I don't think JTR is unseating CLS necessarily because she's better, but because people want a change. She can certainly make the offensive a little easier. But CLS, Raid Han, Thrawn, GK, R2 is still a solid team. Like leef said, trying to use him as plugged in anywhere he's not as good, but then again I never saw him as OP on defense as Raid Han anyway. But if the team is right, he's not going anywhere.

Nightsisters can also contend in a JTR arena because most JTR teams have no tenacity up and no group healing.
  • There’s no “meta” team better than any other team. This game is becoming more and more diverse, after the CLS wave. That was the last true meta. They fixed that with nightsisters. Added more diversity with JTR.

But you can still take 1 in your shard with Rex leads. Empire teams. Nightsister, CLS, General Zariss.

They’re making this game more and more diverse...now it’s coming down to this:

What do YOU want to work on? What do you want to be YOUR meta?

• My arena shard has actually become quite diverse again. There's still quite a bit of cls and don't get me wrong I'm one them. Still running the titans team but I counted 8 different leaders in my top 50 last week. Cls, Jedi Rey, talzin, kenobi, Assaj, even Jyn. It's not as diverse as the maul days but it's getting there
  • I’m definitely glad they fixed the CLS meta. I remember September-October when every team in top 20 was CLS leads.

I expect them to add more and more reworks and content releases to promote more diversity. I smell a dark side rework coming with a possible Vader and palpatine rework. It’s overdue!
  • I really thought CLS is the end of all things, and now Jedi Rey just wipes him out singlehandedly. Probably her fate would be the same.
  • I’d like to run a kru team but I think that’s a ways off. I have cls, titans, and jtr but mostly run jtr. Imo ns would be fotm if they were more accessible. Putting talzin in that infernally slow farming method called marquee events or whatever makes her even better choice for the pay to win crowd. If she was in even a single hard mode you might see a lot more of her. Wicket doesn’t really make a team super but probably the reason you don’t see ewoks is due to him being nigh impossible for the free to play crowd. Or even the not willing to pay for rats crowd
    I hate these new timesinks called Tb/tw. Annoying features.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Smapty wrote: »

So what are you running?

...still holding on to CLS? Or finally realizing NS? Maybe Jedi Rey... or Empire even?

Or maybe something completely different...

I'm a stubborn old fart. Still using GK lead + Zarris. At my latest payout I went 4—0 against JTR teams, so I'm happy. Yes, it's more challenging, and I don't always win (the 4—0 was a good day) and I sometimes need to refresh once to reach my goal.

• Too many Zarriss teams floating around for ewoks to shine.

If one of them had a heal immunity however things would be different
  • scuba
    14034 posts Member
    Shaunyvee wrote: »
    Too many Zarriss teams floating around for ewoks to shine.

If one of them had a heal immunity however things would be different

Ewoks can handle gk/zariss

https://youtu.be/_F0hChESAAE

This one was a little closer
    https://youtu.be/dyWui4V6-6Q

Without gk lead zarris is very easy to deal with.
  • I love the empire and I play the empire. (Thrawn (L) Krennic, DeathT, ShorT, StormT.) My places in the arena (no refresh) top20 (refresh) top10 / top5, but Rey Jedi is more difficult, now he is a farm and he's working on - Veers (L) Starck Thrawn DeathT ShorT
  • I really thought CLS is the end of all things, and now Jedi Rey just wipes him out singlehandedly. Probably her fate would be the same.

Ozymandius.

There's a lesson there for all of us.

• rawman
    685 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    There a lot of different comps than can make it to top on offense currently. The more interesting question is which comps hold best on defense? I would say NS and JTR comps are the best for this currently assuming they have very good speed mods. At least these are the only comps which give me issues here and there and force me to switch squads on offense.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    rawman wrote: »
    There a lot of different comps than can make it to top on offense currently. The more interesting question is which comps hold best on defense? I would say NS and JTR comps are the best for this currently assuming they have very good speed mods. At least these are the only comps which give me issues here and there and force me to switch squads on offense.

one could argue that we shouldn't focus on defence as much if we want a diverse arena =D
  • Smapty
    1260 posts Member
    leef wrote: »
    rawman wrote: »

one could argue that we shouldn't focus on defence as much if we want a diverse arena =D

Yeah a “strong defense” is garbage honestly for pretty much any team... why not do something different and make things interesting?

You might drop a little more but if you can beat the competition easily then it really doesn’t matter that much at the end of the day...
  • Rey is great. Not the best in defense. I can still win against her with my cls arena team. In fact, I love seeing her. Better than fighting all the cls it was before.