Arena Advice: 6 month-old roster could go in any direction really

I feel pretty aimless in arena: Spent Nov-Dec. grinding out an Empire/Sith/Kylo ragtag-team to rise from rank 2000 in arena to around rank 250. Got to a place to farm zetas, unlocked 7* R2 and got CLS recently. Now just working on rounding out FO and Phoenix to grab BB8 and Thrawn.
I've been treating this game with more of a 'Collect them all'-attitude, rather than being arena focused (huge mistake for resources, I know). GW is my favorite part of the game, trying out different team compositions, fiddling around with random synergies and whatnot.

The recent surge of CLS/JTR teams in my shard has made my ragtag group of Darksiders a bit impotent, so I'm looking into building a new arena team to keep farming Arena Tokens and such.

I'm debating what direction to go in for a new arena team that can keep me in the top 200.
I will have Thrawn (5-6*, not ready for 7*, yet) in the next two weeks, so might be able to put an Empire team together, but that would require some work on my ST, and I don't have ShT unlocked yet.

I'm very fascinated by GK/Zarris, but have never faced them in arena, so my experience with them is zero. Would be curious if Zarris is worth the farm, as I'll have GK unlocked in the next few months, and I tend to prefer DS toons to play. I love a strong defensive playstyle.

I'm currently sitting on 1.5 zetas, really wish I wasn't hesitant to zeta Vader, and am reluctant to join the Light Side and pour more attention into my CLS. Would appreciate all advice and perspectives.

https://swgoh.gg/u/cosmos333/

TL;DR: Prefers DS arena. Wants to put together a better team. Will have GK in near future, is GK/Zarris fun?

Replies

• Anakin_Skywalker
    1801 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Gk Zarriss can laugh at most of the teams. Except that one of the very few exceptional teams that absolutely devastates the combo is the meta right now..

Better yet is Nightsister. They are Dark Side and they are strong defensively.
    Talzin lead, Asajj, Daka, 2* G2 Zombie, and Acolyte
    Or Asajj lead for the same team.
    Throw in a couple of Zetas on Asajj's unique and the Leader ability you will be using and you are already top 50
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    If you want to continue along your current path (empire), you will really need Thrawn and Shoretrooper. A team of Thrawn, Shoretrooper, Stormtrooper, Deathtrooper and Krennic could get you to top—50 (depending on your shard of course). Furthermore, Thrawn and Shoretrooper have uses in many other game modes outside squad arena as well as do Deathtrooper + Krennic. I see your Phoenix team is 5* currently. That's enough to unlock Thrawn, when his event returns in a few days (they may require a bit more gear, though).

As mentioned above Nightsisters are also a great faction in the arena. In the right combination they can top the ranks. Some of them also have other uses:

Assaj is great in hAAT raids.
    Zombie and acolyte are very good META team killers with Leia under Nute lead.
    Talzin works great against JTR lead teams under Rex lead.

GK + Zarris still work with the right team composition, even though the new JTR teams have made it remarkable more difficult. Still, yesterday I won all my 4 matches against JTR teams (3 of the battles in top—10). Against CLS lead and mirror teams it's guaranteed win still. Furthermore, GK, Zarris, JC and Ahsoka/Luminara make a a fun gimmick team for LS TB (if you add Aayla for her stun, you even have a tool to handle counters from elite Snowtroopers). The zeta on Barris is not really needed to have fun with this team, but it helps in phases 5 and 6.

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    However, if you want to climb the ranks with your current roster, your best bet will probably be to switch to rebels (CLS, R2 and Old Ben along with either Wiggs or AA + Leia).
  • Thank you for the feedback! :)