5* white mods

Hi everybody! I started farming mods from challenges, but what to do with all the 5* white mods with no speed secondary? Many people recommend not to level them, should I sell them? or equip at level 1 on all my no important toons? What do yo usually do?

Replies

• You could equip them for a minimal GP boost, but other then that, sell them.
  • I personally take the chance and level 1 or 2 a few levels to see if a speed secondary is uncovered and and usually rewarded with a max +10 by the time I get it to 15. Just because there is speed in the secondary does not gaurantee that it will level as you level the mod. It’s all RNG and thus far I have been lucky. I take chances with plus and triangles because they are so hard to come by with the proper formatting
  • I personally take the chance and level 1 or 2 a few levels to see if a speed secondary is uncovered and and usually rewarded with a max +10 by the time I get it to 15. Just because there is speed in the secondary does not gaurantee that it will level as you level the mod. It’s all RNG and thus far I have been lucky. I take chances with plus and triangles because they are so hard to come by with the proper formatting
    You,did see the part where the op asked about what to do with WHITE mods. . . ..
  • Personally I keep all 5 star triangles that aren't defense primaries because they are the hardest to get for arrows and crosses I will keep a few that don't have speed primaries/secondaries that are protection potency offense because while speed is king when speed isn't an option I like to make sure I can at least get my set bonuses with primaries I need, and sometimes you get lucky and pull a 5 speed mod which is better than a no speed mod
  • I usually level them up to 12 to see all the stats. There's always the chance that you'll get a +4 or +5 speed secondary. Sure, that's not going to help your arena team any, but it'll work for your PvE teams. You gets those along with a speed primary arrow, and that's +50 to +55 on someone you can use in TW or TB.

If it's white you can get +5 speed at best AFAIK. Reveals the 4 secondaries and up the primary. 3 6 9 12 15.

Case in point though. Equip all your characters with whites, up them if you can and when you can. If you don't have credits though, focus on gold/purple/blue/greens with speed secondaries. Obviously we are talking everything but the speed arrows, those are good, always.
    "Frustration leads to impatience. Impatience leads to buying crystals. Buying crystals leads to revenue."
  • All the whites 5* are useful for equipping to crew member-only toons - if you don't use the specific toon for other purposes you can equip them with any 5* mods. And since whites are the easiest to come by...

Of course speed primary arrows are useful even if acquired as white. Sometimes even potency cross and crit damage triangle can be useful if you don't have better one (read: with speed secondary).
  • Sometimes I raise them to level 3 and see if the first stat is 5 speed, which can probably improve one of my seldom used characters. Maybe level 6 if I have a lot of credits at the moment.

Going any further than that is probably not worth the risk for me. But that is coming from the perspective of someone who has been playing long enough to equip most of my characters with mods. I'm mainly looking for extremely good mods now, and if I get one then I will probably move an older mod down to a lower priority character.

For somebody who is starting from scratch and has many unmodded characters, it may be worthwhile to level up some white mods to 12, just to have something to equip even if it isn't ideal. If you level a mod to 12 and the stats are all bad, you can equip it on a pilot that you aren't using in squads, since ship stats are only affected by mod levels/dots and not by specific mod stats.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    It all depends on how many mods you have/farm. I have/farm ALOT of mods, i have no where near enough credits to level grey mods and no use anymore for +5/6 speed mods.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Bring them to L12. If no speed secondaries then you just assign them to TW cannon fodder. A geonosian team with L12 mods can take out a single Jedi Training Rey or other teams with 1-2 toons yet
  • crzydroid
    7283 posts Moderator
    If I'm short on mods, I occasionally hang on to them if they have the right primary, such as a crit damage triangle. I don't usually level to check for speed until I need that shape/primary though.
  • I am a hoarder . I keep all 5* mods that I have.
    But you should keep crosses and triangles even 3 or 4*.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Tarugo91 wrote: »
    I am a hoarder . I keep all 5* mods that I have.
    But you should keep crosses and triangles even 3 or 4*.

Aren't you reaching the cap very often when you keep all of them?
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    never sell any mods until you hit the maximum. you will need them for pilots, and to bolster TB numbers.

once you hit the max, start selling 3 and 4 dot mods. dont sell anything with speed.

after that point go through and sell mods, i usually sort them by shape and sell the ones that you have alot of the same primary and multiple of the same type. I like to keep a good cross section of types just to make sets later on if needed.
  • Rebel_yell
    928 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Given the number of toons that are needed to be viable in TW, TB, and Ships my strategy has evolved to the following:

- I only keep newly farmed 5 dot mods blue or better (will keep green if it has speed secondary visible)
    - I don't sell any triangles or arrows (unless they are below 5 dot without a visible speed secondary)
    - If I'm hunting for speed secondaries and have been having little success I'll level a grey mod to 6 to see if there's a hidden speed secondary
    - I maintain 5 squads (25 toons) that I have "expertly modded"
    - I put 5 dot lvl 15 mods on all my Crew Members (regardless of secondaries)
    - I took all my "beginner mods" (those that I used as I tried to get to tier 3 in the challenges) and stuck them on my least used toons (jawas, geo, CUP, mob enforcer, you get it) simply for the GP boost
    - During the cantina energy daily I will refresh cantina energy until it costs 200 crystals (my guild refresh allows me to do this over 2 days). I pick 2 toons I'm trying to improve, focus farming on the mods I'm trying to acquire, and move their existing mods to lower level toons as I find appropriate replacements
    - sell the rest
    - repeat

PS - if you're not already, swgoh.gg is a great resource to manage mods you've already placed on characters
    Post edited by Rebel_yell on
  • Thank you guys, much more clear now
  • All the whites 5* are useful for equipping to crew member-only toons - if you don't use the specific toon for other purposes you can equip them with any 5* mods. And since whites are the easiest to come by...

I save them for this too. I also use them on PvE toons where min/maxing isn't as important. Best to keep the very valuable mods for Arena and Raid toons.
  • I sell most of them. Along with colored mods that dont roll with speed secondary.

Here are some EXCEPTIONS,
    where i upgrade to lvl 12 to see if speed rolls on them or not.
    - Crit Damage Triangle
    - Crosses (potency, offense, protection)
    - Protection Circle
    - Speed Arrow ... upgrade all the way
  • I might keep a triangle or a cross that fits exactly what I need but, I sell everything else.