Why do you guys think CG does not offer the starting bundles to those who skipped them?

I know I would buy the jedi and the heroine one, so I'm wondering what the reasoning is behind not grabbing that $$$.

Will the starting packs no longer be a "bargain" if they're available again at a later point? I doubt it cause only the forum minority would know.

Anyone with sales knowledge can shed some light here?

Replies

• Camalus
    217 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Fear of loss tactic, they introduce them and take them away so you will feel like if you don't buy it its gone forever.

Every car dealership uses it, 800 number commercials, you've seen it, you know its Bull, call today only for this special offer, and of course you see the commercial on months later saying the same thing. They will probably return, its only been 3 months, hang in there.
  • Deimos
    326 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Camalus wrote: »
    Fear of loss tactic, they introduce them and take them away so you will feel like if you don't buy it its gone forever.

So it's training for future bundles? Good thinking, makes sense.

• The starter bundles were too expensive and should be offered again maybe 2 weeks later, even for 3 days or so. I don't spend money on games I haven't tried yet and I'm sure I'm not alone.
  • papnwors wrote: »
    The starter bundles were too expensive and should be offered again maybe 2 weeks later, even for 3 days or so. I don't spend money on games I haven't tried yet and I'm sure I'm not alone.

You're not.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Part of the thinking is to lure you into a "deal" before you really know what you're getting into. Then they have an extra way of getting you locked in via the financial commitment to the pack you've alreadt bought. It also disarms you to spending more, as you've already spent some cash so what's spending a little bit more to really make good use of it?!

I know right now I wouldn't have known what to do with those packs like I would now.
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Same reason why you dont have a black friday once a week. Offers' perceived value diminishes if you know it is going to be there forever.

For example, Rex. If we know he is going to be in Auridium for ever, some people will hold until they see other clones released, to check if they are really interested. But now, people feel they "have to get him" because he might not be available next month if another char entre the auridium rotation instead of Rex. That create impulse purchase. Some people will buy it now, that maybe wont buy him in six months if the rest of the clones suck.
  • every mobile game has this, and online services like netflix. They give you a great deal when you download the game so that you link your form of payment to IAP's. Psychologically you are more inclined to make another purchase if you just have to push "purchase" rather than enter your credit card number. Some games will straight up give you something in the game if you link your CC. Netflix gives you a free month of service, all you have to do is link your credit card to your account and you have a free month. After the free month the just go ahead and charge you if you dont specifically cancel it.
  • Ok, but when the trick fails and new players don't bite, why remove the bundles forever? That's what I am wondering.
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Deimos wrote: »
    Ok, but when the trick fails and new players don't bite, why remove the bundles forever? That's what I am wondering.

Because it diminishes the impulse to buy in those who bought. You are seeing it from yours perspective only. I'll try an example.

You, me, Joe and Bob saw the droid bundle. You and Joe chosed not to purchase it. Me and Job, knowing it was a limited offer, pulled the trigger. Later, they offered us Anakin bundle. I choose to buy too, because I'm hurried to get Yoda and I like Anakin and it is a límites bundle. Total bought, 3 bundles.

Now, imagine there is no time limit. Bob chosed not to buy. He will wait to see. 2 months later he ragequit because he is losing in GW. I buy the droid pack regsrdless, I like droids. But I choose not to buy Anakin, as I'm not in a limited offer, I'm going to evaluate him. I might buy him later, or not. You choose to buy droid pack, as now you are confortable with the game and willing to spend. Joe still wont buy, and never will as he doesnt spend money in mobile games.
    Total bought, 2 bundles.

Researches about sales show that the impulse purchase in límited offers give the company more money long term than diminishing the value of those offers by having them all the time.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    @Triqui - That's a good argument against them having no timer. It isn't a good argument against them cycling them back again a few months later if they aren't purchased. Few new players will even come to the forums to find out that this is a possibility. Plus if they are even remotely tempted, they are better off to buy them earlier, it does them more good.
    I have been unable to come up with a good answer to the title question here. IMO they are simply leaving money on the table.
    Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.
  • Qeltar wrote: »
    @Triqui - That's a good argument against them having no timer. It isn't a good argument against them cycling them back again a few months later if they aren't purchased. Few new players will even come to the forums to find out that this is a possibility. Plus if they are even remotely tempted, they are better off to buy them earlier, it does them more good.
    I have been unable to come up with a good answer to the title question here. IMO they are simply leaving money on the table.

Exactly. It would require reading the fora consistently to know that the bundles are returning at some point in the future. Very few read them. Definitely none of the starting accounts.

@Triqui my question isn't why there's a timer on starting bundles. It's why they don't make a comeback some point later to those who didn't bite.

• Qeltar wrote: »
    IMO they are simply leaving money on the table.
    I agree. The only thing I come up with is that they want to slow the pace of obtaining characters and the overall pace of the game. Also, push people towards reoccuring energy fill purchases. You could spend your way past obtaining the characters, but you would still have to farm the gear.

• Just shut the front door and stop whining!!!!!
  • Calvin wrote: »
    Qeltar wrote: »
    IMO they are simply leaving money on the table.
    I agree. The only thing I come up with is that they want to slow the pace of obtaining characters and the overall pace of the game. Also, push people towards reoccuring energy fill purchases. You could spend your way past obtaining the characters, but you would still have to farm the gear.

That's a fair assessment. So far, gear can only be accelerated via crystal refreshes. Before the Arodium pack, there was no way to just buy ability mats. Those two are the main bottlenecks keeping whales from being able to level up new characters basically instantly, other than credits, which are somewhat mitigated by being able to finish GW every day.
  • J0K3R
    2286 posts Member
    I need packages worth my time in the $5 range
    May the force be with you. It shall free you.
  • Deimos wrote: »

Exactly. It would require reading the fora consistently to know that the bundles are returning at some point in the future. Very few read them. Definitely none of the starting accounts.

@Triqui my question isn't why there's a timer on starting bundles. It's why they don't make a comeback some point later to those who didn't bite.

Same thing. If people know they'll come back, they dont buy as much of them.
  • Triqui wrote: »

That's the tricky part. Newcomers have no way of knowing the packs AREN'T coming back.

My guess is the game is too young. The starting bundles are in fact scheduled to return some place down the road.

• Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Triqui wrote: »

That's the tricky part. Newcomers have no way of knowing the packs AREN'T coming back.

My guess is the game is too young. The starting bundles are in fact scheduled to return some place down the road.

Newcomers that live in a cave, maybe. Everybody else know that "starting packs" are offered when you start. If I see a starting pack of 2x1 classes in the first class in a snowboard traineer or tenis coach or scuba diving trip, I don't expect them to offer me 2x1 once I have been using their services for two months.
  • sid
    232 posts Member
    Starter packs are useful at early to midgame. Closer to the end, many of the toons in the starter packs can be farmed (some harder than others).
  • I think it's because how they value the shards for various charactors.

A smart move for low cost charactors would be to make GW an Arena charactors cycle through the shop for $5 for 4 stars. These are the lowest value charactors so you don't de-exclusive hard nodes and by giving people more charactors you increase demand for Crystals.

So would you pay $5 for a 4 star poggle, resistance pilot, Lumi or phasma?
  • sid
    232 posts Member
    At midgame, 4* are easily obtainable. Money is better spent on crystal refreshes to grind gear.