Where is the fairplay in arena?

So I have reached top 20 with a squad and I was contacted via this forum by a player.

Then you are invited to a discord channel to have people explain you that the top 10-20 of the arena is controlled by some kind of mafia who decides who goes up to rank 1 and when, while ganging on any player not part of this group who are flagged and declared as "enemies".

I honestly think that the arena needs a serious matching overhaul where people can't control who they are matching with.

Allowing the players to have such control over the game is unfair and game breaking in my opinion.

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    edited January 2018
    This issue has been brought up before, I'm not saying there isn't a solution but there has not been a fair solution suggested that solves the problem.

Not being able to pick who you fight is not fair either.

Being that we have not heard anything from the dev team about a change or even that it may happen means there is probably nothing coming right now.
    Post edited by Kyno on
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    why is this such a hot topic lately?
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • snarzenal
    316 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    leef wrote: »

Collusion is bad.

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    snarzenal wrote: »

Collusion is bad.

well, it's been happening since like forever. Im just wondering why all of a sudden so many people are upset about it.
    Also, having a shardchat and respecting eachothers pay-outs isn't necessarily bad.
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member

Collusion is bad.

well, it's been happening since like forever. Im just wondering why all of a sudden so many people are upset about it.
    Also, having a shardchat and respecting eachothers pay-outs isn't necessarily bad.

Cls and jtr in december is bringing new people into the top 20s.
  • leef wrote: »

Collusion is bad.

How is people telling you that you cannot be in the top 5-10 because they will gang on you to kick you out of the rank is respect ?
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Aglardae wrote: »

Collusion is bad.

How is people telling you that you cannot be in the top 5-10 because they will gang on you to kick you out of the rank is respect ?

it's not. That's just guys being kittens.
    Post edited by Ambassador on
  • The fact that you were contacted is a good thing. Did you ask to get invited in to the group? Did you ask how you could get into the rotation? Think about things from their perspective. They've been playing the game just as long as you have, and have dedicated the resources (thought / time / money) necessary to stay at the top of their shards for that long. All of a sudden, there's a major shift in 'balance' thanks to Rey / CLS, and payout is now a free for all again. Players that are in their respective shard chats have staved off competition for months on end and have, in my opinion, earned the right.

I don't understand how it's any 'less' fair than competing against someone who might not have any responsibilities within the hour / minutes leading up to their payout. If I'm driving home from work every night at my payout, guess what? I'm not getting top X unless I'm in the shard chat.

The answer to this, in my humble opinion, is pretty straight-forward - rank rewards can continue to be payed out at your payout, but should be based on highest rank reached during 'x' time window. Maybe x is an hour, maybe it's 23 hours, I don't know, but that would end the need for shard chats as they currently exist.

• The answer to this, in my humble opinion, is pretty straight-forward - rank rewards can continue to be payed out at your payout, but should be based on highest rank reached during 'x' time window. Maybe x is an hour, maybe it's 23 hours, I don't know, but that would end the need for shard chats as they currently exist.

Exactly my thought as well.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    This issue has been brought up before, I'm not sayi bbqng there isn't a solution but there has not been a fair solution suggested that solves the problem.

Being that we have not heard anything from the dev team about a change or even that it may happen means there is probably nothing coming right now.

While there have been plenty of solutions proposed, something as simple as removing the names of who you are able to attack would significantly improve this problem. People who are already colluding would still have methods to determine the other team, but it would take considerably more effort. Forming new partnerships to collude would be virtually impossible.
  • Aglardae wrote: »

Allowing the players to have such control over the game is unfair and game breaking in my opinion.

Players will connect and talk and actually socialize about the game, there's really nothing wrong about that. Then they'll make their life easier. It's been said million times that the inflexible have-to-be-glued-to-your-phone for 1h at 5pm is very real-life-unfriendly: this is exactly the response to that poor game design. People get organized to work around.

If they contacted you, it's great, it means they're open and inclusive, just join them!

Exactly. It's actually the folks you interact the most in this game, more than guildmates because you (or they) change guilds, but you're glued on your shard.
    ☮ Consular ☮ - https://swgoh.gg/u/tiggus/
  • It’s an issue because people have morals and honor. Just because you have played the game for two years does not entitle you to anything. While there is no rule being broken, you are fixing the payouts which is akin to throwing the game for sports.
  • I view this more as a player-imposed QoL enhancement. I, like many others in my shard chat group, are full time workers, parents, husbands/wives etc. Knowing that I have a little more actually real life time to myself is a tremendous benefit that more than makes up for the fact that I take turns finishing 1 or 2 or even 3 or 4 (as my PO happens to be the busiest among the active players in my shard). There is no prohibition to any player forming a new coalition between those individuals not in the active shard chat to oust the ones that are and I fully endorse the concept - although i would hate if it happened in my shard........
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »
    This issue has been brought up before, I'm not sayi bbqng there isn't a solution but there has not been a fair solution suggested that solves the problem.

When it was brought up before mods specifically said that this topic is banned. So what’s the deal?
  • What if it hid the names of players in the shard and they reshuffled the shard so there was no way of knowing who was who or any way to contact each other
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    SHAD0W4576 wrote: »
    What if it hid the names of players in the shard and they reshuffled the shard so there was no way of knowing who was who or any way to contact each other

Reshuffle is a huge issue. It changes everything, and takes away any advantage that someone played for. Among other issues. Like during the shuffle, who gets 1st?, how many people do they place in a single hour? If it's truly random, is it fair to from an hour with 3 people to an hour with 8?

• Liath wrote: »

When it was brought up before mods specifically said that this topic is banned. So what’s the deal?

Because Trump is in office now and collusion is a hot topic

Seriously though some of my guild mates stay in the top 5 without the collusion. Others do it so the wealth goes around to everyone in the top tiers. The ones doing the collusion usually rotate positions so it's not like they make one person always #1. It can be tough to break in, but is doable. If your squad is strong enough the collusion doesn't matter. It would be very difficult to filter out who is colluding and who is doing it on their own which is probably why the devs aren't going to change this.
  • It’s an issue because people have morals and honor. Just because you have played the game for two years does not entitle you to anything. While there is no rule being broken, you are fixing the payouts which is akin to throwing the game for sports.

Picking the moral high ground i see? In that case, the chats are a good thing because they prevent sniping and allow equal distribution of rewards.
  • Poxx
    2288 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    It’s an issue because people have morals and honor. Just because you have played the game for two years does not entitle you to anything. While there is no rule being broken, you are fixing the payouts which is akin to throwing the game for sports.

What ppl have...are lives. This is a game and being glued to your phone for an hour during a time when many are sitting down to dinner w/ their families is ridiculous. Your version of morals and honor isn't gonna trump time w/ my family.

At least on my shard, if u attempt to reach out, share payout times and work together...u will enjoy a higher payout for less time invested and the shard works together to protect that.

One man's collusion is another man's teamwork.
    Post edited by Poxx on
  • Reshuffling the shards would be horrible. There would be incredible amounts of sniping, hitting people in their payout hour because nobody would know what their opponent payout hour is out.

While getting rewards for the highest arena rank you got that day sounds nice, I just don’t see it happening. The amount of crystals paid out would go up massively.

• Crazylazyguy
    1786 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    While I do feel you OP, you as every player in this game, are looking at it from the "bad side".
    "Ugh we have too much of this gear" is an example. Why say you have too much of a certain gear, instead of being happy that you don't have to farm it?

This situation is similar, you're invited by people to join with them and play without worrying of being pushed back. Since there are probably a ton of people in this particular chat, they ask you to take top 10 instead of #1. You look at it from the bad side "who are they to tell me that", but would you rather they ganged up on you and never give you even top 20?

So far there has been no solution to such things. Reshuffling is far worse than this..
  • While I do feel you OP, you as every player in this game, are looking at it from the "bad side".
    "Ugh we have too much of this gear" is an example. Why say you have too much of a certain gear, instead of being happy that you don't have to farm it?

This situation is similar, you're invited by people to join with them and play without worrying of being pushed back. Since there are probably a ton of people in this particular chat, they ask you to take top 10 instead of #1. You look at it from the bad side "who are they to tell me that", but would you rather they ganged up on you and never give you even top 20?

So far there has been no solution to such things. Reshuffling is far worse than this..

Rushuffling is not far worse than this. What we have now is a group of people forming a gang to undermine the fair competition that arena is supposed to be built upon. What happens when the gang refuses to allow you to enter? My shard gang has decided it is full. I am frequently punished out of top 50 for daring to cross 20. How dare I!

This is not at all a matter looking at it negatively. This is a poisonous dynamic that, as the game progresses toward a balanced meta with multiple viable teams and counters and with more and more people reaching end game, will ultimately remove all incentive to continue playing.

If this issue is not addressed in a way that at least disrupts people's attempts to undermine fairness (also known as cheating by some), this will be the death of it.

I strongly urge the devs to address this issue.
  • Mr_Sausage wrote: »
    Reshuffling the shards would be horrible. There would be incredible amounts of sniping, hitting people in their payout hour because nobody would know what their opponent payout hour is out.

While getting rewards for the highest arena rank you got that day sounds nice, I just don’t see it happening. The amount of crystals paid out would go up massively.

Uhm, isn’t that the way it’s supposed to be? IMO arena is supposed to be competitive. It’s the only individual competitive part of this game. Getting hit by others and sniping is how it’s supposed to work.

I also hate the idea of getting rewards for highest rank. I despise that “everybody wins” lets all get along and make it as easy as possible to get rewards outlook. It’s already ruined GW. If we are going to do that let’s just get rid of PVP altogether and fight more computers instead.
  • Liath wrote: »

Yup

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/comment/1409865#Comment_1409865
    Two Time Golden Poo Award Winner
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Liath wrote: »

Liath wrote: »

Yup

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/comment/1409865#Comment_1409865
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Closing the subject, as it only serves to foster animosity.

Anyone trying to resume that discussion risks being warned and/or banned for Flaming.

that does not say anything specifically. but due to this statement this thread will now be closed.
This discussion has been closed.