Any thoughts on why I cannot beat 7*?

2Next

Replies

• Aplus
    138 posts Member
    Zerfius wrote: »
    I tried several times last round and since then, I upgraded Hera to g9. Not sure why I cannot even get close to beating the last level of Thrawn. Here is my swgoh.gg: https://swgoh.gg/u/zerfius/collection/

I have preferred to use Sabine over Chopper because I have no damage being done without her. When I get to the last phase, I have Ezra debuff the Stormtrooper, but he just puts his taunt right back up. I use Hera's rez on whoever gets fractured. I do not use any taunts (mostly cause I die too quickly). The furthest I have gotten is killing the Stormtrooper and one DT. I cannot get any further than that.

What am I doing wrong?

Hey, I just checked your collection and you seem to have bumped up all your toons to g8/ g9, so I think you're definitely ready. Having good mods really help too, remember to bump up potency on Zeb!

Do check out my guide if you are still having difficulties with it.
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/138250/last-resort-strategy-for-thrawn-7-those-with-difficulties#latest
  • gear also doesn't matter i just did it get speed just get speed on hera ezra zeb master omega zeb basic ezra basic and hera basic this 3 needs speed 180+ just take out taunter then desth troopers and then 2 healers second is use back up plan on fractured toon dont taunt using chopper or kannan if zeb or ezra is stunned then make sure you use kannan second ability till death troopers are out then use chopper to taunt as he is a auto regenerstor if he dies also ok use backup plan only for frsctured toons or toons less than 70% health do this take out healers and then auto on thrawn
  • KvotheQGBQG2
    811 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    If you get your squad up to G9 and level 85 you will be fine. Don't use a zeta unless you want that toon to have a zeta in general. You have several days to get this done. Don't panic!

You have G9 Sabine. So did I when I beat this event. I didn't bother with Chopper and still haven't (although I will be at some point but not for Phoenix squad).

Just make sure you go into the final battle with all cooldowns reset and you will be fine. It takes a lot of RNG luck though, no matter what. Just don't give up and keep trying. I remember it taking a lot of tries, but you can do it with your squad if you level them all to 85 and gear them a little bit more.

Get Hera and Zeb to G9 first, then Kanaan if you want to (mine is still G8).
  • Mhmacleod wrote: »

So I checked your PheoniX. First thing what I would change is speed on Ezra, 160 is not a lot. Also crit dmg triangle would be good for Ezra. Zeb need around 70% potency and more speed. Kanan needs prot health. Sabine speed and crit dmg triangle. Strategy is to use Zeb to daze stun Thrawn whenever possible. So every assist of Ezra and Hera should be with Zeb to attack Thrawn. I did it with all g8 and Sabine so if You have Ezra g10 and Sabine g9 this should work.
  • Gmytrix wrote: »
    Mhmacleod wrote: »

So I checked your PheoniX. First thing what I would change is speed on Ezra, 160 is not a lot. Also crit dmg triangle would be good for Ezra. Zeb need around 70% potency and more speed. Kanan needs prot health. Sabine speed and crit dmg triangle. Strategy is to use Zeb to daze stun Thrawn whenever possible. So every assist of Ezra and Hera should be with Zeb to attack Thrawn. I did it with all g8 and Sabine so if You have Ezra g10 and Sabine g9 this should work.

Thanks guys really appreciate the help. Will try your suggestions but am just off another soul-crushing session today and will take a long breather before even looking at the game again.

Just... I wish one of the devs could remember this section still exists, read what we're saying and consider just for a moment re-testing this event. This event's design is seriously, *seriously* botched.
  • Almost a week left, still got time to improve your Phoenix.
    Don't despair ;-)
    I cannot believe that after all this time the devs did nothing to this event. Nothing. I simply cannot believe it.
    thrawn event has been around 4 times. I've qualified for 7* since the second.

1st round: tried everyday, tonnes of times. Sabine team. Nothing. Lost him when the event expired. First and only event ever to have this happened: qualified but couldn't complete.

2nd: didn't believe sabine wasn't the answer; built her and the others up still further. Levels 80-84, G8-9. Again fruitless.

3rd (now): finally caved in and diverted to chopper instead. Bankrupted myself boosting ezra yet further. Surprise surprise! It... Also didn't work.

I'm at my wit's end. Short of a zeta which many insisted was not needed, I just don't know what else I need. 3 events, all which I qualified for and then some! Nothing! This isn't a mythic event, it's just a 7* toon! CLS, BB-8 and even R2 weren't like this! Could someone PLEASE look again into the event and tweak it?? Most of the people who were here discussing the event since the first round have already moved on to other things and left the section alone... Yet here I still am.

The one big thing I can't get is the severe RNG change here: ezra has 80% chance to attack twice if not debuffed; the team under kanan has 70% chance to counter. None of these happen at anywhere near this frequency in this event. Coupled with Thrawn & the DTs' tendency to OHKO as they please, plus thrawn's perplexing buff on himself in the beginning of the match instead of the stormtrooper which would have made him taunt early and making my job easier...

... Please can someone help?

This is the first time I've been able to do 5 6 and 7 star of this event. I have everyone (chopper team not sabine) at gear 8 and halfway to 9 (with Ezra and hera actually only 1 gear piece after 8). I had most abilities omega'd, except heras basic and I think choppers. I had 2 zetas ready to go just in case. I beat 5* and 6* no problem, didn't even use any mods. Then I went into 7* for the first time. Put my arena mods on them. - think my highest speed boost was just below 70, then one about 64, and the rest in the 50's. I went in fully expecting to lose but was going to start learning the strategy. And 15 minutes later, surprise, I beat it on the first try. Didn't even come across as hard. Didn't lose one character. I believe only chopper was below full protection. The best example of good rng I can say I got was they never seemed to attack my fractured guy, even if I didn't get a taunt up. So don't give up.
    Gmytrix wrote: »

Thanks guys really appreciate the help. Will try your suggestions but am just off another soul-crushing session today and will take a long breather before even looking at the game again.

Just... I wish one of the devs could remember this section still exists, read what we're saying and consider just for a moment re-testing this event. This event's design is seriously, *seriously* botched.

I understand your frustration. One thing you have to remember though is that thrawn is pretty much top 5 characters in he game. He is really good. I personally don’t think that they should make it easier because thrawn even at lower gear is such a beast. You are definately getting your time wasted back when unlocking this character
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member

Capgasp has responded about this event before. His position is, essentially, you can outgear it and make it easy. If you want to try to get through it at low gear, then expect it to be rough.
  • @Toshev I think your characters are overall too slow. Make Ezra very fast 180ish. others as well.. 36% crit damage triangle on Ezra is preferred. 24% potency cross on Zeb is good. All other mods should be best when it has 23.5% protection primaries. Also arrows are best with 30 speed.
  • @Toshev I think your characters are overall too slow. Make Ezra very fast 180ish. others as well.. 36% crit damage triangle on Ezra is preferred. 24% potency cross on Zeb is good. All other mods should be best when it has 23.5% protection primaries. Also arrows are best with 30 speed.
    When I was doing Thrawn event my Ezra was 230 speed. Sabine 220 and Hera 200. Zeb was 180 and 70 potency. All g8. I did it on second try.
  • Richard
    41 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    I can easily say if you have all g8 and can't beat it your toons are slow.

Just get it at first attempt with my arena mods. Before that i couldn't even kill one toon at last phase.

Now i regret gearing them before trying this. I think even all g7 phoenix can do the job with decent mods. So speed is the key here.

• Added as much speed as I could scrape together, burned the entire credit heist to do so. Re-arranged potency in, too. No dice. I may have mostly G8 toons but I do have a 9 and 10 too, and most other events have done just fine on such a setup. Some others took longer yes, but they were all still done in a day's worth of trying. I thought about zetas but if my toons are dying before their first move there's little use in that.

I understand that Thrawn is powerful, yes. The event is meant to be hard, yes. But it's been 3 times I've qualified for this event, am kitted (I believe) better than many who got it the first time, and spent so many hours on it. Can I please just have him, now?

This is ultimately a mobile game, I shouldn't have burn hour upon hour every day of the event trying to essentially get the stars to align for this event. I counted the number of ways this event can go wrong and it's staggering. Ezra last to go on stage 3? Restart. Stormtrooper got debuffed on the beginning but thrawn just buffed... Himself? For nothing? Restart. Fractured toon has backup plan on him; they just kill someone else. Ignore the fractured toon (he has green health) they focus and gun him down. Dodges on the last critical stroke; they never dodge. DT executing a toon with backup plan. A whole flurry of aoe and attacks: not a single counter. Or the worst, a fight that goes fairly well, then Thrawn says "oh yeah I forgot I have an insta-kill" then your healthiest member goes down in one hit.

I mean, it's a game, it's just unlocking one toon's 7th star. It shouldn't have to be this time consuming and frustrating. Especially after his event has been introduced for so long. It's not even a mythic: I don't spend a lot of time on mythics as I know it's just a test of late game leetness. No other "unlocking a toon's 7th star" event in this forum has this much discussion, and he's not CLS or JTR.
  • Aplus
    138 posts Member
    This forum post helped me 7* Thrawn a few months ago, its for sabine, hera, zeb, kanan, ezra https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/138250/last-resort-strategy-for-thrawn-7-those-with-difficulties#latest

I hope it still works for some of you peeps! Thrawn is an excellent toon

Hey, I’m the author of that post! And taking a closer look at @Mhmacleod squad I see some huge chances for improvements!

First, boost speed on ezra, Sabine and Hera. At the very least, try put a speed primary on the arrow. Overall, try to aim for at least a +40-50 speed per character, the more the better.

Second, ZEB STUN POTENCY! Give him more potency mods, at the very least take away that protection CROSS and slap on a POTENCY PRIMARY STAT cross!

Thirdly, try out my guide if you havent, and don’t give up! With ezra g10 and others g8/9, it is already much better than my g8 squad, so I can guarantee you can do it.
    Added as much speed as I could scrape together, burned the entire credit heist to do so. Re-arranged potency in, too. No dice. I may have mostly G8 toons but I do have a 9 and 10 too, and most other events have done just fine on such a setup. Some others took longer yes, but they were all still done in a day's worth of trying. I thought about zetas but if my toons are dying before their first move there's little use in that.

I understand that Thrawn is powerful, yes. The event is meant to be hard, yes. But it's been 3 times I've qualified for this event, am kitted (I believe) better than many who got it the first time, and spent so many hours on it. Can I please just have him, now?

This is ultimately a mobile game, I shouldn't have burn hour upon hour every day of the event trying to essentially get the stars to align for this event. I counted the number of ways this event can go wrong and it's staggering. Ezra last to go on stage 3? Restart. Stormtrooper got debuffed on the beginning but thrawn just buffed... Himself? For nothing? Restart. Fractured toon has backup plan on him; they just kill someone else. Ignore the fractured toon (he has green health) they focus and gun him down. Dodges on the last critical stroke; they never dodge. DT executing a toon with backup plan. A whole flurry of aoe and attacks: not a single counter. Or the worst, a fight that goes fairly well, then Thrawn says "oh yeah I forgot I have an insta-kill" then your healthiest member goes down in one hit.

I mean, it's a game, it's just unlocking one toon's 7th star. It shouldn't have to be this time consuming and frustrating. Especially after his event has been introduced for so long. It's not even a mythic: I don't spend a lot of time on mythics as I know it's just a test of late game leetness. No other "unlocking a toon's 7th star" event in this forum has this much discussion, and he's not CLS or JTR.

Again, You need protection cross on everyone but not Zeb. Crit dmg triangle on Hera, Ezra Sabine, speed primary on everyone. Zeb needs potency cross and full potency mods. You also need speed around 200 or more on Ezra minimum. Many players had problems even with gear 11, watch warior vid. He just did 1 star on last Tier. My ezra had 230 speed so he went first. But every assist must go with Zeb to daze/stun Thrawn. Also You need to remove buffs from DT and for this Zeb has to use Stagger. 150,160 speed is making your team slow, too slow. Also daze on Thrawn is important. Otherwise he will counter and will destroy all team. Also i think if You can zeta Kanan it will help a lot.
  • Gmytrix wrote: »

Again, You need protection cross on everyone but not Zeb. Crit dmg triangle on Hera, Ezra Sabine, speed primary on everyone. Zeb needs potency cross and full potency mods. You also need speed around 200 or more on Ezra minimum. Many players had problems even with gear 11, watch warior vid. He just did 1 star on last Tier. My ezra had 230 speed so he went first. But every assist must go with Zeb to daze/stun Thrawn. Also You need to remove buffs from DT and for this Zeb has to use Stagger. 150,160 speed is making your team slow, too slow. Also daze on Thrawn is important. Otherwise he will counter and will destroy all team. Also i think if You can zeta Kanan it will help a lot.

Well. I'll be damned. Yours was the first advice of its kind that I noticed (zeb) and I gave it a go... Took me other hour... And it worked. Finally. Thank you, and all of you in this thread, so much.

Super emotional moment, when it was done. Sabine team (tried Chopper, didn't like it), almost untouched from before except I swapped health mods for zeb (all that extra health didn't seem to do anything anyway) to potency. I wish I could say that that was all I needed: that his daze-stun could win the battle, but it didn't: almost nothing procced on Thrawn.

But on the last attempt, I got real lucky: suddenly the DTs stopped using their executes, stopped double-attacking, and somehow my team was in the position to always have kanan apply offense down on thrawn right before he moved. An expose (don't ask me where that came from) appeared on a DT at the right time, and then he was dead. Daze-stunned the other one too (it did finally come in handy). My team also suddenly - finally - applied their full crits and damage, so counters alone could finally take down the support troopers. And at the end, when I was sure I was dead because thrawn was the only target left and he had fractured someone so he was ready to counter everyone to death... His attacks barely hurt.

And then it was all over. Again, thanks to everyone for your help... But I can't help feeling that in the end, nothing short of this series of inexplicable conditions happening would enable one to pass it. The only thing I can imagine that might have influenced it was the extra number of debuffs that I had applied across the enemy team... That somehow this affected their tactics and dmg?

... So in conclusion: being able to spread out daze/offense down/stuns where they matter most helps a lot, and so does a fair amount of speed and maybe gear, but not as much as holding out for that one crucial match where the enemies start pulling their punches. Until that point (sigh), there's no choice but to keep at it...
  • chakhae1
    71 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    My two cents is that I think this time around a lot depends on RNG. Like more than any other event EVER. So play during different times of the day. I have tried over 100 times to complete this final tier to seven star Thrawn and the closest I have gotten was knocking out two DTs and one healer. Rest of the times I am either kill one enemy or maybe two if I am lucky.

I put all my potency mods on Zeb, crit. damage mods on ezra, speed on sabine, mix mash of speed and crit. damage on hera and heal/protection on kanan. I spent over 400k just moving my mods around, and I am done messing with those b/c nothing seems to work! My team is all g8 except hera who is g9 and everyone is omega'd.

I also saw a video and one guy that completed it had his team all g8 and a couple of toons were not omega'd. He focused on the DTs first and then took out everyone else. He also revived Kanan which makes no sense to me b/c he seems pretty useless. He finished it pretty easily, so that might be worth a try.
  • Uhm... instead of listening to ppl saying RNG, i guess u might wanna read their kits carefully lol.
    Anyway, first call kanan to assist, to apply offense down. It has a MUCH higher chance to stick, with sabine around. Secondly, try dazing everyone on the opposite team. That's all i've to add.

All the best.

Well. I'll be damned. Yours was the first advice of its kind that I noticed (zeb) and I gave it a go... Took me other hour... And it worked. Finally. Thank you, and all of you in this thread, so much.

Super emotional moment, when it was done. Sabine team (tried Chopper, didn't like it), almost untouched from before except I swapped health mods for zeb (all that extra health didn't seem to do anything anyway) to potency. I wish I could say that that was all I needed: that his daze-stun could win the battle, but it didn't: almost nothing procced on Thrawn.

But on the last attempt, I got real lucky: suddenly the DTs stopped using their executes, stopped double-attacking, and somehow my team was in the position to always have kanan apply offense down on thrawn right before he moved. An expose (don't ask me where that came from) appeared on a DT at the right time, and then he was dead. Daze-stunned the other one too (it did finally come in handy). My team also suddenly - finally - applied their full crits and damage, so counters alone could finally take down the support troopers. And at the end, when I was sure I was dead because thrawn was the only target left and he had fractured someone so he was ready to counter everyone to death... His attacks barely hurt.

And then it was all over. Again, thanks to everyone for your help... But I can't help feeling that in the end, nothing short of this series of inexplicable conditions happening would enable one to pass it. The only thing I can imagine that might have influenced it was the extra number of debuffs that I had applied across the enemy team... That somehow this affected their tactics and dmg?

... So in conclusion: being able to spread out daze/offense down/stuns where they matter most helps a lot, and so does a fair amount of speed and maybe gear, but not as much as holding out for that one crucial match where the enemies start pulling their punches. Until that point (sigh), there's no choice but to keep at it...

Your welcome:), Congrats:).
    I cannot believe that after all this time the devs did nothing to this event. Nothing. I simply cannot believe it.
    thrawn event has been around 4 times. I've qualified for 7* since the second.

1st round: tried everyday, tonnes of times. Sabine team. Nothing. Lost him when the event expired. First and only event ever to have this happened: qualified but couldn't complete.

2nd: didn't believe sabine wasn't the answer; built her and the others up still further. Levels 80-84, G8-9. Again fruitless.

3rd (now): finally caved in and diverted to chopper instead. Bankrupted myself boosting ezra yet further. Surprise surprise! It... Also didn't work.

I'm at my wit's end. Short of a zeta which many insisted was not needed, I just don't know what else I need. 3 events, all which I qualified for and then some! Nothing! This isn't a mythic event, it's just a 7* toon! CLS, BB-8 and even R2 weren't like this! Could someone PLEASE look again into the event and tweak it?? Most of the people who were here discussing the event since the first round have already moved on to other things and left the section alone... Yet here I still am.

The one big thing I can't get is the severe RNG change here: ezra has 80% chance to attack twice if not debuffed; the team under kanan has 70% chance to counter. None of these happen at anywhere near this frequency in this event. Coupled with Thrawn & the DTs' tendency to OHKO as they please, plus thrawn's perplexing buff on himself in the beginning of the match instead of the stormtrooper which would have made him taunt early and making my job easier...

... Please can someone help?

I've tried over 100 times to get 7*. Last time I managed to kill off ST and DTs. This time I'm stronger and can't kill a single toon in round 4. Devs have changed something.

You need to pay hyper attention at the end of Phase 3. Best is when the phase 3 ends with your counterattack. So you start with much tm at the start of Phase 4.

Dispel enemy buffs and in the meantime call Kanan to assist attack Thrawn. For offense down. This is something many people don't do but it is more effective than a single daze from Zeb. Zeb needs to hit twice w/o being resisted to stun thrawn, while Kanan only needs to hit once to bring offense down. Irresistible when crit hit.
  • I'm at close to 70 attempt so far and so frustrating. Hera g9, rest g8. Stun guns are the issue. They use so many of them.

Have moved mods around. Have watched countless vids. Got down to Thrawn 5 times but he jut beasts me as generally only 2 or 3 left.
  • I was able to 3* the event first try this morning after failing the last time with a full g9 squad and full omegas.
    This time Ezra is g11, Kanan G10 and everyone else g9.

https://swgoh.gg/u/bludmetal/collection/?f=phoenix

Mod Chopper to get over 200 speed. Protection for Kanan, Potency for Zeb and Critical damage for Ezra and Hera.

It is an extremely difficult event unless you are well prepared. Good luck.
  • chakhae1 wrote: »
    My two cents is that I think this time around a lot depends on RNG. Like more than any other event EVER. So play during different times of the day. I have tried over 100 times to complete this final tier to seven star Thrawn and the closest I have gotten was knocking out two DTs and one healer. Rest of the times I am either kill one enemy or maybe two if I am lucky.

You need to pay hyper attention at the end of Phase 3. Best is when the phase 3 ends with your counterattack. So you start with much tm at the start of Phase 4.

Dispel enemy buffs and in the meantime call Kanan to assist attack Thrawn. For offense down. This is something many people don't do but it is more effective than a single daze from Zeb. Zeb needs to hit twice w/o being resisted to stun thrawn, while Kanan only needs to hit once to bring offense down. Irresistible when crit hit.

Very, very true. Totally agree. The right debuffs on the right targets make a huge difference, which is something we have to focus on beyond just the kill order.

For that to happen though, a large number of counters must proc, and the crits need to work in your favour, which regrettably means a lot of RNG. Anyone who disagrees must have been either very lucky, or like other events chanced upon the right team combination that suddenly "switches off" the ai... Much like the capital ship shards events. There's just no way to explain overcoming 3 toons with the ability to maim/kill with a single hit through tactics alone.

Btw, I personally vouch for Sabine for the match. If it's all about RNG you'd want to finish the match fast before a bad OHKO roll comes up, and chopper's heal over sabine's criticals drags things out for too long.

To those above still struggling: good luck, pace yourself. Speed is nice but not worth bankrupting yourself on mods for. Get that potency up, watch for that series of lucky rolls, and ride the wave for all you've got.