Kylo Ren Unmasked

Anyone else a little disappointed in KRU?

Was really hoping he'd bring the FO to the same prominence that Zeta Finn or JT Rey did. I felt like he's missing... something. A buff or debuff that can't be removed. A way to self-cleanse, maybe. Was also hoping he'd have some kind of subtle synergy with JT Rey, given the movie plot, and abilities that would sort of underscore how they're different sides of the spectrum but equal in power.

Any rate, I've watched a lot of videos out there with KRU. Is anyone using him extensively with great success and hitting the top of the Arena ladder? Is he an adequate replacement for General Kenobi in any teams?

Replies

• Options
    I saw a post from someone who said he has used 7* KRU,both zetas, as well as KR and was slightly unimpressed as well. Not sure about the other FO toons he was using, if any. It may be that you need just the right ones/combination to be a highly successful team.
    I had hopes for him as well and have been slightly discouraged by my findings, but either way, his leader ability seems to be the best for FO and I am still excited to begin farming him and SFTFP!
    I also highly agree with you about him missing something. Would be great if his stun could not be dispelled unless he was defeated or something.
  • Options
    Well, he's not a rebel. Sooo.... he's more than likely going to be at least a mild disappointment in this game.

That said, I'm working on him now (almost done, but haven't used him yet), so can't comment directly in his effectiveness. But there are zero KRUM's in the top 50 in my arena shard. So, that says something about his kit, I suppose.
  • Vampire_X
    1435 posts Moderator
    Options
    Moved feedback :)
    Wicked Sith Queen with the Pink Saber
  • Wil
    140 posts Member
    Options
    I have a KRUzz at 4* geared as well as possible. He is disappointing. His two-turn stun sounds cool in theory, but most teams dispel it so quickly that it's nearly worthless. It needs to be un-dispellable. He isn't the tankiest auto taunter either, so he often dies quickly.
  • Options
    Yeah... most videos I see of him, KRU gets stunned or fractured quickly, then dies before he can really do anything. And his big damage attack, even if it hits a stunned target, isn't anything to really be scared of. One of his abilities should come with some sort of self or team cleanse, and the stun should be non-removable for a couple of turns.

But maybe people just haven't found the right way to mod him yet to really give him the proper damage or survivability. Dunno.
  • Options
    A couple things that would make Kylo Ren Unmasked much better.

Kylos stun can’t be dispelled and have a 40% chance to stun a secondary toon for 2 turns, kinda like Old Dakas Basic for 1 turn.

Whenver Kylo is damaged, he gains 2% offense and 2% Defense (stacking) until the end of the encounter.
  • Options
    I have zz-KRU g12 7*. Pretty equal to old Ben.
    His problem -- there's no modern FO team to run him with. KRU is all about speed for FO. The other toons are too old to support him in PVP. The only new character with possibility is FO-panda .... and he ain't that fast.
    I'm hoping they release Hux, Snoke, & guards soon to support him.
    P.S. His ship is awesome. Worth gearing him up for the fleet.
  • Options
    The new kru teams seem to need the special forces guy as well.

Their strength seems to be stunlock/control rather than assists for mega damage too...

I've had little success with fully zetad team behind Kru, but believe the SF dude would make a massive difference with an extra targeted stun
  • Options
    Somewhat old thread, but didn't want to make a new one...

KRU is pretty good (lead is amazing)but it feels like he is missing something to fit as a FO toon. He does well on passing around advantage and crit damage, but no TM gain. Also, FO synergy has never really relied on debuffs to win (like empire), so tenacity up seems weak. I think something like this should be added:

On basic omega: if target already has tenacity down, all FO allies gain 5% TM

On unique zeta: gain advantage for 2 turns after countering (or regain advantage if he already had it, similar to Phasma lead).

Basic just makes him fit more into the FO TM gain concept and buff his basic a bit since tenacity down isn't really that useful for FO. 5% is a random number, but didn't seem extremely overpowered and is certainly a smaller buff than CLS.

Unique is because KRU gives advantage to an ally who doesn't have it every time he's damaged, but that means he usually gives it to himself, and then immidiately wastes it on his 5-7k damage basic. Which is fine and all, except then he never has advantage for his big hit special, which is when he really needs it (without getting it from Officer)

Just my thoughts.
  • Options
    KRU is one of the best tanks in the game. You are going to see him pop up a lot more once he’s farmable. The problem isn’t him, it’s the rest of first order that isn’t arena viable.
  • Vertigo
    4497 posts Member
    Options
    KRU is one of the best tanks in the game. You are going to see him pop up a lot more once he’s farmable. The problem isn’t him, it’s the rest of first order that isn’t arena viable.

This, what the FO lacks is a few characters that have such a large number of abilities that all go together like the way CLS, R2, and Han do or the way that RJT, R2, and BB8 do, or the way that Talzin, Zombie, Ventress and Daka all feed off of eachother. We need more named FO toons to come out with more skills that complement the rest of the team. Five of the eight FO toons are nameless toons that only have 3 abilities total, a basic and two specials or a basic, a special and a unique that only impacts themselves. Two of the FO toons have 4 abilities, and only KRU has 5. There just isn't enough going on for a FO team to really push through to be considered the best team there is. KRU is actually a very solid character, but he needs more of a team behind him as well.
  • Options
    Actually Kylo Ren Unmasked actually isn't that bad, even in arena. I recently started pursuing a FO meta, and while gear wise they are no more than gear XI, I have managed to bring them to position 90 in my arena shard. While there probably are better setups the key I found is focus on speed.

My current team is Kylo Ren Unmasked (L), Kylo, FO Officer, Phasma, and FO Special Forces Tie Pilot. Their Speed in order is 210, 186, 191, 243, and 202. Add 30 from Kylo's leader ability and it is a pretty quick team. Still working on making them faster. This team has worked for me, because I can usually get Kylo unmasked to stun before the other team goes. I use FO Order Officer to use kylo's second special which also stuns. Then use SFTPs Oppresive Burst to stun another. Phasma's Victory March gives me extra turn meter, allowing me to ussually get a second turn before most of the other squad, and when using Phasma's Fusillade (-25% speed debuff) and SFTPs Drumfire (+25% speed), I can get close to 50% turn meter gain on the other squad if most get speed down applied.

In the end, so long as your not shut down in the beginning, I can often get to use Kylo Unmasked's stun a second time before the first expires from all the extra turn meter gains I can apply to my team. I have several arena matches where the entire team is stunned because of this.

As a bonus kylo unmasked's leader ability significantly increases crit damage which is useful for both him and kylo to regain massive health and protection, as well as provides 20% turn meter on crits and bonus 5% health and protection when a FO ally gains a status effect (including debuffs).

This team likely won't get you into the top ten in arena, but I can see it getting me to the top 20 or 50, with the right mods, which is how I got the speed up. With exception of FO Officer, which uses the speed mods, the rest of my teams speed comes from speed secondaries of 10+ and the arrow mod +30 speed primary.

Teams this will not do well against are teams with General Kenobi and one or more of the others: Thrawn, Solo (raid) Emporor Palpatine, Darth Sion, Jedi Training Rey. Well Geared Mother Talzin teams also are difficult due the high number of ways characters can resurrect; low geared teams though my team does well against.

For now this team keeps me within the top 200 in arena which where I want to be, In TWs this team often goes for multiple rounds (12 is my highest) if positioned in the middle or back territories. Hope this info helps you all.
  • Options
    Teams this will not do well against... That's all of them, lol.
  • Options
    Actually Kylo Ren Unmasked actually isn't that bad, even in arena. I recently started pursuing a FO meta, and while gear wise they are no more than gear XI, I have managed to bring them to position 90 in my arena shard. While there probably are better setups the key I found is focus on speed.

My current team is Kylo Ren Unmasked (L), Kylo, FO Officer, Phasma, and FO Special Forces Tie Pilot. Their Speed in order is 210, 186, 191, 243, and 202. Add 30 from Kylo's leader ability and it is a pretty quick team. Still working on making them faster. This team has worked for me, because I can usually get Kylo unmasked to stun before the other team goes. I use FO Order Officer to use kylo's second special which also stuns. Then use SFTPs Oppresive Burst to stun another. Phasma's Victory March gives me extra turn meter, allowing me to ussually get a second turn before most of the other squad, and when using Phasma's Fusillade (-25% speed debuff) and SFTPs Drumfire (+25% speed), I can get close to 50% turn meter gain on the other squad if most get speed down applied.

In the end, so long as your not shut down in the beginning, I can often get to use Kylo Unmasked's stun a second time before the first expires from all the extra turn meter gains I can apply to my team. I have several arena matches where the entire team is stunned because of this.

As a bonus kylo unmasked's leader ability significantly increases crit damage which is useful for both him and kylo to regain massive health and protection, as well as provides 20% turn meter on crits and bonus 5% health and protection when a FO ally gains a status effect (including debuffs).

This team likely won't get you into the top ten in arena, but I can see it getting me to the top 20 or 50, with the right mods, which is how I got the speed up. With exception of FO Officer, which uses the speed mods, the rest of my teams speed comes from speed secondaries of 10+ and the arrow mod +30 speed primary.

Teams this will not do well against are teams with General Kenobi and one or more of the others: Thrawn, Solo (raid) Emporor Palpatine, Darth Sion, Jedi Training Rey. Well Geared Mother Talzin teams also are difficult due the high number of ways characters can resurrect; low geared teams though my team does well against.

For now this team keeps me within the top 200 in arena which where I want to be, In TWs this team often goes for multiple rounds (12 is my highest) if positioned in the middle or back territories. Hope this info helps you all.

To be honest Phasma is a terrible toon if she isnt the leader, it would be better if you put in FOST instead of her because of the benefits FOST has that Phasma doesnt when she isnt the leader, now you might say "but KRU is a tank who needs two tanks?" FO teams apparently because if you ignore the fact that FOST is a tank, you realise that FOST has a good basic, very good special that works similarly to Phasmas Victory March and a amazing unique that lets you have a pseudo Phasma lead, assists whenever FOST does anything is hard to ignore making him a more superior choice over Phasma, so im not saying you are thinking this but ive had someone tell me "why not use both Phasma and FOST?" Well who would you kick out then? The damage dealer? Lets face it Kylo Ren would be your only attacker and he cant do everything, having either of the pilots or the executioner is a much better choice than her, sorry to say again but if Phasma isnt the leader which she most likely wont be, she is useless.
  • Ulic_24
    106 posts Member
    Options
    Also your teams this is terrible against us literally all 3 current meta teams. Also, holy thread necro.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Options
    "Terrible" isn't a fair word to throw at Phasma. You could do better, yes, but anyone who can toss around AoE speed down and grant the team +50% turn meter isn't bad.
    Still not a he.
  • Options
    Aoe speed down - practically useless currently with all the TM gains going on (empire/JTR/Rex)

+50% TM Gain - practically useless when your entire team is dazed/shocked/stunned (empire/JTR/wampa).

My zeta phasma has been gathering dust a very long time.

I find her partially useful in TW to make hybrid teams.... That's about it
  • Options

...FOST has a good basic, very good special that works similarly to Phasmas Victory March and a amazing unique that lets you have a pseudo Phasma lead, assists whenever FOST does anything is hard to ignore making him a more superior choice over Phasma,...

Point of my response to the OP was that Kylo Unmasked as lead can be fun and useful against most teams if you mod the squad right. Not disagreeing that Phasma is a bit of a underwhelming unit, one of the reasons I'm using her is that I already built her up, much more than FOST, as she was part of an earlier stunning team I used. Second, she still has a better turn meter gain for the team than FOST, due to Fusilade. If she gets enough crits with that she gets another turn due to Kylo Unmasked leader ability. To get even close to the same with FOST, I'd need to use Kylo's lash out, and FOST's Order Relentless first, and that goes against what I am doing with this meta, which centers around stuns and speed. Can't stun with Kylo on his first turn if I need to use Lashout to gain turn meter, so she is sorta key unit to this setup. The team as set allows it to get an extra turn a little faster than with FOST. Plus, I just find the team fun, I like looking for a bit unorthodox teams and don't care much about placing high on the ladders. I have had fair number matches against teams with much higher GP where in the end they were all stunned due to crazy speed this team generates.

I agree that a more viable team would be to switch out Phasma and SFTP for FOST and Executioner, but these are the units I have available right now and figured this team would prove useful to newer players. As it is for a team that is only 83k, I have beaten teams that are as high as 110k, and there is still room for improvement as none are gear 12 yet, and a still some room to kit them out with better mods, so I stand by my assertion with maxed out gear, tiers, and top quality mods you could get into top 50 with this team.

As for switch out SFTP for FOST and keeping phasma, I'm not that wedded to her :p . As you pointed out Kylo can't do everything.

Ulic_24 wrote: »
    ...holy thread necro.

I know its not normal to revive several months dead thread, but well didn't see the point to starting a new thread when I saw there were people in this one wondering about the viability of Kylo Unmasked.