Arena team help

HK666
1263 posts Member
I'm current sit between 300 and 200 in my shard. I'm a player who left and came back, so I have little hope of making it to the top.

That said, I currently use Nihlus(L), Thrawn, CLS, Dooku, Palp. I know that's not close to an optimal set up but I'm faster than a lot of my peers which allows that team (g10) to compete with a lot of mix between g11 and g12 teams that aren't as fast.

My goal was a Thrawn led empire team, but a few events has put another team (prolly stronger) that I can aquire quicker while Shore, Death and Krennic get farmed.

The big two events are CLS and Han unlocking. (should of got Han a while ago, but I was a fool in an 8 man guild.)

So my new team is looking to be- CLS (L), Han, Thrawn, Old Ben, +1.

The primary purpose of this post is to find out who that plus one should be. The best two candidates I can think of are Shore and R2. if R2 had zetas I'd go him for sure... but he doesn't so a secondary tank might be in order. The crit immunity plus heal could make my team last longer, but R2 has a lot of stuff going for him. The downside to R2 is that CLS buff immunity or Fracture can easily leave a unit exposed or stop the taunt, which makes me wonder if having a second tank is the better option.

Outside of that, I also want to know how to prioritize speed on this team. While I'm fast enough to compete with those with ~10k more power, that advantage it gives me is finite or I'd be up there with the big boys. I was thinking to make Thrawn the fastest (he can swap to someone else if needed), followed by CLS (buff immunity+tmr), then Han for a very strong start.

https://swgoh.gg/u/deeziee/collection/ - collection in cased I missed something

Thanks!

Replies

• Osik
    235 posts Member
    r2 and cls together are great, he should be your fifth... speed order should be thrawn r2 cls, r2 smokescreen on old ben so he can use his aoe first turn then taunt second turn...
  • R2
  • HK666
    1263 posts Member
    @Osik @Movewan
    so I should just not worry about someone either getting buff immunity and then not being able to get smokescreen of Ben being held down by various methods while the rest get pulverized?

... as I write this I remember than R2 can shield all but himself and can stun on counter... I see...
  • Mobewan
    702 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    @HK666
    Old ben isnt as good as GK, but you can use r2 to uncloak on old ben. And old ben is a very solid tank for sure.

I sometimes uncloak onto r2 himself to prevent a fracture on gk so that gk can use his "lead the charge" skill. You can uncloak on r2 to give OB a chance to use his specials.

It took me a week of using r2 to realize how insanely good he is for any team, but he needs speed mods and should be your fastest toon, in my opinion.

The higher you go in arena, everyone will have r2, and you will be at a huge disadvantage without him
  • HK666
    1263 posts Member
    @Mobewan
    So unless someone pops out with an excellent arguement for Shore I'll go R2.

But why would I want R2 faster than say Thrawn? I figure Thrawn gives you the choice between starting with a Fracture or delegating to someone else when it comes to moving first.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Heh. I just posted something with similar questions. ;) This was helpful to me. Should Thrawn fracture or swap turn with OB for Mind Trick or R2 for smoke?
  • CleverWes
    648 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    HK666 wrote: »
    @Mobewan
    So unless someone pops out with an excellent arguement for Shore I'll go R2.

But why would I want R2 faster than say Thrawn? I figure Thrawn gives you the choice between starting with a Fracture or delegating to someone else when it comes to moving first.

Ideally r2 would be faster so it can smokescreen first turn. If you have to use the tm swap with Thrawn on R2, it's essentially wasting his first move when instead you could be fracturing, or swapping with old Ben.
  • I agree with @CleverWes
    R2 base speed is also higher than Thrawn by about 7 at max gear, so its easier to make r2 go first anyway
  • HK666
    1263 posts Member
    @Mobewan @CleverWes
    Even with how fast some toons can be making the smokescreen last next to nothing?

I'm talking those abilities that give a bunch of tm
    For example, CLS self heal gives 100%tm will consume a turn

or both of Hans abilities give a bunch of TM, meaning he'll be out of stealth real quick
  • Yes.
    I know it's hard to theorize well conpared to ingame experience.

Any amount of cloak is beneficial.

And sometimes i save CLS call to action and Han double attack for a turn. The most dangerous team for raid han is a jedi training rey team with scavenger rey, where i usually use han's basic as his first move because scavenger rey can 1 shot him, lol.
  • Osik
    235 posts Member
    HK666 wrote: »
    @Osik @Movewan
    so I should just not worry about someone either getting buff immunity and then not being able to get smokescreen of Ben being held down by various methods while the rest get pulverized?

... as I write this I remember than R2 can shield all but himself and can stun on counter... I see...

Have r2 go first, uses smokescreen on ben, luke attacks ben, gets buff immunity out of the way, and ben basically taunts without using his ability because everyone else is invisible
  • HK666
    1263 posts Member
    @Osik
    The issue with that is how quickly some of the units I plan to use can burn through turns

For example- Han's stun gives him near if not full TM, and then his buff gets him half
    CLS- call to action- full tm
    Thrawn- TM swap with someone with high tm...

Especially with Han, foresight can be burnt through with little to no benifit.
    Mobewan did suggest it'd be fine tho
  • @HK666
    I touched upon this in my previous post, and I'll try to give more examples of what i do against difficult teams on my first turn:
    - CLS: basic attack, gives defense down. Most people do call to action and start with the special to maximize damage, but putting defense down actually works better to maximize damage for your entire team for 2 turns. On CLS senond turn, you can use call to action and the special for heavier damage.
    - Thrawn: basic attack to remove evasion, or fracture. That is ideal when you get your r2 is fast enough to cloak. Otherwise, tm swap will uncloak thrawn before others. Reduce your need to do tm swap by speeding up your other toons, including r2.
    - Han Solo: buff should be his first move. He will still come out of cloak faster than others, but hopefully your tank is taunting, and his buffed damage is worth the risk. Sometimes i can use his basic to keep him stealthed, and then buff, but buffing first still works against all teams.
  • HK666
    1263 posts Member
    @Mobewan
    I'm sure your much further in arena than I am, so what I do is a bit different.

I've got a g10 team of DN (L), CLS, Dooku, Palp and Thrawn, with Thrawn and CLS being faster than most my competition (which is mostly g11+)

Thrawns fastest, he fractures.
    CLS goes next, using his special to remove all the tm of a target. Sometimes for the buff immunity as well. (sometimes, for his next turns I go to his basic and save call to action for when he takes damage or he throws out couple counters to spread debuffs. This has backfired before, but usually works well)
    Sometimes an enemy or two goes.
    Palp throws his aoe stun.
    (I forgot when Dooku goes, he might go before Palp. Usually throws his stun)
    Usually that start leaves a couple enemies stunned and someone with fracture, someone else with buff immune, letting me whittle down the dangerous ones and prepare Annihilate.

Now I'm sure what you bring to the table is better, especially against higher gear/ well modded enemies. I just don't understand yet cuz I'm just not there. But your advice has been processed and I'll keep it in mind as I finish getting Ben and r2 to g10
  • Imo that +1 slot is ideal for R2. U might not have him zetaed yet, but u can work with that in time. Zeta combat analysis make team cleanser, bcause rebel under cls have counter attack chance, u can hope every time ur team counter they might as well cleanse themself.

Zeta number cruch give boost 10% to ur stats, like having 6 dots mod. Not neccesary, but it can add longetivity for ur team.

In ur setup need r2 to be the fastest.. he release smokescreen, give pseudo taunt to old ben, then thrawn fracture then hide back to smokescreen. Then next old ben turn, release jedi mind trick, the next turn he will taunt, when other char smokescreen expired. U need to build ur old ben accordingly.. bcause he's slow, he need speed but also need much protection. Under cls lead, he'll have +50% defence.
  • Leparine
    38 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Hi Guys, maybe someone can help me either^^

My Team is CLS,R2,Raid Han,Leia, Old Ben. So what would be the best defense setup for R2´s smokescreen and zOld Ben? I currently modded my team so that R2 gives the foresight to himself, so that OB is cloaked and can´t be fractured. If Old Ben would get the foresight, I´m guessing he would be open to fracture and stun and wouldn´t be able to do his stuff (Mind Tricks/Taunt). Is that so? What are your experiences?

Now, for me the problem is, that R2 gets fractured and killed too early, which is not that beneficial either. A second Tank (Baze) instead of Leia works okish, but my team has a lack of damage than. Sadly I don´t have Kenobi, since he combines tankyness and damage. I´m working on him, but it takes time (3-4 months from now)

So what do you think or recommend? R2´s foresight on himself or is it ok to put it on Old Ben? thx in advance^^
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Some more feedback after a week of tests. I run CLS R2 OB Leia and GAT.

Im only 120-170 in arena and never refresh so take that in mind but Im on a 2016 shard and my guys are undergear. G12 CLS R2 G8!, Everyone else is g9. 95% of teams in my rank are all g11 and g12. My only zeta is CLS IBAT.

My speeds are 220 Thrawn 215 R2 Then CLS at 205 and OB and Leia around 175. Im faster than about 80% of the teams with GAT. I avoid Raid Han. Dont see NS or JTR at my level.

I used to frracture first. But since I started swapping TM with OB for Mind Tricks I have improved my rank by about 50 spots. Mind Trick really screws their TM and Ability blocks OR it gives all of your guys TM, or both. Then R2 smoke on OB. Then fracture or CLS. Then everyone else. OB gets MT and Taunt off faster, but even if you dont get the Taunt off their order and TM are screwed and I usually win against way better teams. If I put the taunt zeta on OB I think I could break top 100 easy. Im falling about 50 spots per day.

Also if you havent tried Leia she is a great damage dealer and so easy to get.

Just my personal experience.
  • @VonZant yeah Old ben´s Mind Tricks is so awesome;) would recommend R2 number crunch as next zeta, but since you use Old ben as main taunt, his zeta would be more beneficial first^^ I wonder how good Leia is against Rey, should be good though^^