Sidious or Savage for beginner sith squad

So, I'm very early into a new account and lucked into landing Nihilus. I got Dooku in a DS starter pack and have decided to build a sith team as my main DS squad. I've begun the process of farming Darth Sidious and plan to purchase Maul in the stores whenever he appears.

Since Sidious and Savage are both squad arena store, I'm wondering if it's worth unlocking both and trying to upgrade them by alternating between the two so they level together, or should I focus on getting one to 7* (or some other predetermined level) before the other?

I'm only level 45 so I haven't unlocked the fleet store making Darth Maul a long way away from getting since the Guild Store seems to be the toughest location to farm out of.

My other account doesn't have any sith, so I'm looking forward to running something different. I just don't really know what the best way to get it started is.

Replies

• Blackbeardpepe
    1481 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'm going to say Savage, Sidious is really squishy until you add a Zeta. Savage is decent, requires half (joke) the raid gear of Sidious.

Other side of the coin, Sidious is super fun to use. He was my first 7 star, like a year ago.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Options
    Sideous imo.
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Options
    No question it’s Savage IMO. He is one of the best stand alone characters in the game. In specific scenarios Sidious might be better (Vader lead), but Savage will be better overall.
  • Options
    I think I would go with Savage as well. He can get you out of some tough situations if he is zeta’d.
  • Options
    Sid is good for beginners, but will quickly fall out of favor. Savage isn't too good early on but around g10 he'll do good with a maul or dn lead team
  • Ebbda
    261 posts Member
    Options
    I run Sith in arena (not an easy task, lol)

Gotta say Savage. With the zeta he's a tough but to crack.

Working on Sidious so can't give a fair answer but Savage is my favourite Sith on game.

Good luck and hope you choose wisely :smiley:
  • Options
    I vote Savage, Sidious is better at low level, before protection his heal inmunity rocks, but at high level Savage is better. In this game think for the long run and save resources.
  • Options
    Sid is good for beginners, but will quickly fall out of favor. Savage isn't too good early on but around g10 he'll do good with a maul or dn lead team

This is kinda what I was thinking as well. That's why I was playing with the idea of unlocking Sidious first and maybe getting him to 5* before unlocking Savage. That way, I can use Sidious right away while I upgrade Savage to 7*. By then, I'll probably have Vader and Maul. By the time Savage is ready, Sidious may have phased himself out of my team.
  • Options
    Honestly, the only Sith worth any merit long term (as of now) is DN. That's not what you're asking, but I'm just making a point. I ran sith a long time, past when I should have, out of love - but it's not like it gets you anywhere.

As mostly above - Zavage is a beast, even by current standards. I've even tested out Zavage in my quadruple zeta NS team - you get in the situation where a toon will have half life and full protection from plague - he can be great to auto-kill them. Definitely go Zavage.

I have a zeta on Sid too - but even with it he's still squishy - If Jedi ever get into the meta maybe his kit will be useful again. He's okay for a new player in the Raids - but he gets eclipsed by other toons.

But, who knows - if we really do get another 'Sithuary' in a few weeks then just look out for any changes coming up -- and go after what looks good!
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Have to agree savage is the better option. He also has some long term viability in later game play
  • thomssi
    526 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I tend to agree Sidious is better short term, Savage probably long term but he isn't in any top squads anyway. As pointed out elsewhere DN is good but his lead makes Savage much less useful due to health effects (as for being only good Sith, hmm, well if rumours are right we will all be farming trooper and assassin anyway). Savage (especially with zeta) can be used pretty much anywhere as tank but Sidious could be used less widely but oddly can fit in a resistance team due to exposes (not commonly seen but anyway).

Anyway, I would get Sid. Savage's use later is questionable, there are much better DS tanks and he doesn't work under best Sith lead.
  • Options
    I have Sidious at 5* and have not improved him. He was good for early use but really not long term. He is fun, especially AOE but doesn't last long in a battle. I don't have Savage but all I've read is that he's a survivor, really good in raids.
  • Options
    I'm a launch player and I farmed Savage before Sidious...and that was BEFORE the Zetas and his slight rework. He served me well.

Now WITH Zetas being part of the game, no question Savage would still be my pick
    CLONE HELMETS!! Now let's get Sabine her epic helmet.
  • Options
    Sidious was my first 7 star toon way back in the day too - however his usefulness is really limited in the higher tier Dark Side nodes since he's so squishy and his AOE will trigger mass counter attacks. Savage's 1-hit kill on enemies below 50% health is really useful on those harder nodes and honestly I find value with in Arena too. And of course if you add the Zeta he becomes useful for HAAT Raids too.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    Sidious is short term, savage is long term
  • Options
    whatever you decide to do, its best to take one to seven star before you start farming the other one
  • Options
    So as I mentioned in my OP, I started with Sidious and he's now a couple shards away from 6* and I plan to take him to 7 before I go any further in my Squad Arena store.

So far, I've acquired Nihilus, Dooku, Vader, Sidious, and just today from the sale in the store, Darth Maul. I'm finally able to create an all-sith team. Until now, I've been using KRU as the 5th because he can taunt and self heal.

My question is, should I keep running DN as lead and have all 5 sith, or would I be better served keeping my tank? Also, is Maul the better lead?

Because I started farming Sidious right away, I've ignored the usual early game rebel farms in the SA store (STHan/Leia). My question is, should I still go after Savage once I get Sid to 7*, and if so, who should I replace with him once I do? Or farm the rebel/scoundrel?

I know it's a lot of questions, but I'm really interested in building a sith squad (the February sith-focus has really been a pleasant surprise) and don't have any experience with them.
  • Options
    Different leads can be good against different opponents, however Maul is only really useful as lead once you zeta him and given his crappy stats the question if wether you want to do that. Zavage is a good enough character but if you really want to run a sith team you might want to work on rebeles to be able to get palpantine eventually.
  • Options
    YKMisfit wrote: »
    So as I mentioned in my OP, I started with Sidious and he's now a couple shards away from 6* and I plan to take him to 7 before I go any further in my Squad Arena store.

So far, I've acquired Nihilus, Dooku, Vader, Sidious, and just today from the sale in the store, Darth Maul. I'm finally able to create an all-sith team. Until now, I've been using KRU as the 5th because he can taunt and self heal.

My question is, should I keep running DN as lead and have all 5 sith, or would I be better served keeping my tank? Also, is Maul the better lead?

Because I started farming Sidious right away, I've ignored the usual early game rebel farms in the SA store (STHan/Leia). My question is, should I still go after Savage once I get Sid to 7*, and if so, who should I replace with him once I do? Or farm the rebel/scoundrel?

I know it's a lot of questions, but I'm really interested in building a sith squad (the February sith-focus has really been a pleasant surprise) and don't have any experience with them.

Well, with the new Sith coming to the game I would probably continue farming Sith if that's your end game plan.

But you will need those Rebels to get Emperor and CLS eventually.
    CLONE HELMETS!! Now let's get Sabine her epic helmet.
  • YKMisfit
    730 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Roken_Fett wrote: »
    Well, with the new Sith coming to the game I would probably continue farming Sith if that's your end game plan.

But you will need those Rebels to get Emperor and CLS eventually.

Thanks for the response.

I was mostly asking because, if Savage Opress isn't an obvious choice to replace one of the Sith I'm currently using, I'd probably go with STHan next and then come back around on Savage a little later on. I do want him eventually, I just don't know how much of a priority I should be making him given that I'm able to roster a full sith crew now.

But if any of those guys should be replaced by another farmable sith (I'm only level 58 ATM so that's basically Assassin and Savage depending what happens with Marauder), then I really don't want to use valuable farming resources this early on for a character I'm gonna replace right away.
  • Options
    Just a note about the reworks because I'm currently using Vader in this crew, but I'm loving that his AoE can't be countered.

I'm currently 31 in Squad Arena, and at my level, doing my arena battles is basically deciding which Phoenix Squad I'm going to attack since that's really the only thing people seem to be running.

I still get the mass counters against DN when I do Drain Force, but I do it anyway (it's worth it to be able to Annihilate Kanan and stop his taunt and the constant counters the rest of the match). But Vader being able to do his first is huge, because it puts debuffs on all the enemies which makes Drain Force more likely to reduce my cooldowns.

I just need to find a way to make DN a little more sturdy because pretty soon, these Phoenix teams will hit him a lot harder when he uses his AoE as people get them levelled up higher.
  • Options
    I think that at your level you will be fine with what you got, if you want to farm rebels and unlock palp do that.Savage can wait, he can be good for sure but isn’t really essential.