The weird new trend regarding future content

Speculation on future content of this game has always been one of the main points of discussion among this community. However, lately, every rumor I heard (Revan, Hux, new Capital ships...) includes speculation about specific toons required. I know Revan has been confirmed not to be coming, but everyone heard that we're going to need Sith Trooper & Sith Assassin, and some theories included HK47, Jedi Counselor, and Jedi Knight Guardian. Now I've seen people asking if FOE, FOSFTF, and KRU will be required for Hux, and a thousand other theories requiring specific toons to unlock.

Now, the only 2 toons I've seen that required anything more specific than a faction, are the Hero's Journey toons - CLS & JT Rey. The next closest requirement is Thrawn (who required 5 out of the 6 Pheonix toons) & the Chimera (5/6 rebel ships), and those 2 required a whole faction.

IMO, speculation is a fun process that can make this game more fun. I'm doing it all the time in my guild. But, can we please go back to more reasonable speculation? Not every new toon is going to be a Hero's Journey one. Revan, while awesome, isn't iconic enough to earn more than a legendary toon status (not a bad place to be - equal to R2, Yoda, and the Emperor? Quite a rank). Let's all remember how the game works and go back to speculating on a level that might actually happen. Otherwise, we'll always get disappointed.

Replies

• Good lord this is a sensible statement!!

It must be reported and removed and it’s writer must be sent to the dark side due to it’s unnatural logic
  • R2T1000 wrote: »
    Good lord this is a sensible statement!!

It must be reported and removed and it’s writer must be sent to the dark side due to it’s unnatural logic

Well, according to the swgoh.gg Meta report, I'm the only player at level 85 that runs EP lead that reaches 1st occasionally, so I'm already pretty deep in the dark side...
  • Goodgil wrote: »
    Speculation on future content of this game has always been one of the main points of discussion among this community. However, lately, every rumor I heard (Revan, Hux, new Capital ships...) includes speculation about specific toons required. I know Revan has been confirmed not to be coming, but everyone heard that we're going to need Sith Trooper & Sith Assassin, and some theories included HK47, Jedi Counselor, and Jedi Knight Guardian. Now I've seen people asking if FOE, FOSFTF, and KRU will be required for Hux, and a thousand other theories requiring specific toons to unlock.

Now, the only 2 toons I've seen that required anything more specific than a faction, are the Hero's Journey toons - CLS & JT Rey. The next closest requirement is Thrawn (who required 5 out of the 6 Pheonix toons) & the Chimera (5/6 rebel ships), and those 2 required a whole faction.

IMO, speculation is a fun process that can make this game more fun. I'm doing it all the time in my guild. But, can we please go back to more reasonable speculation? Not every new toon is going to be a Hero's Journey one. Revan, while awesome, isn't iconic enough to earn more than a legendary toon status (not a bad place to be - equal to R2, Yoda, and the Emperor? Quite a rank). Let's all remember how the game works and go back to speculating on a level that might actually happen. Otherwise, we'll always get disappointed.

To be fair the hero's journies are for the heroes of the journies we follow.
    Luke and rey for their respective trilogies, hopefully a heroes fall for anakin eventually but we also followed the story of Revan in the games. He isn't a really good supporting character he's the main character in the story. I wouldn't be mad if he was just a legendary event, but I can also see why people may have thought he would be part of a heroes journey.
  • lack-of-faith-disturbing.gif
    ... but note that Thrawn was (is) one of the most useful and versatile toons we've gotten and arguably the best single, plug and play, DS toon in the game. That was behind a nasty wall of Pheonix kittens that you had to just swallow to have access to. I wouldn't so haphazardly ignore the event, the panic farm, and how it's re-framed the community view of CG.
    Which is, IMHO, the real hate and dread of Rose. I can pretty much guarantee you she'll be required for a high profile toon. Pretty sure CG feeds off our hate... People HATED pheonix and you see where it got us. People REALLY REALLY RRREEEAAALLLYYY hate rose so you KNOW the toon she's gonna be required will be the next Meta.
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • I'm shocked, SHOCKED that there is speculation on this forum.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    i blame the leaks !
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • It surprises me how quickly people jump to conclusions anymore. There's a whole post going around that Snoke is coming now just because KRU and FOSFTFP are now farmable. I feel like we've thrown logic out the window and are just using any excuse to say that everything is a hint towards something we wish was going to happen (but clearly isnt).
    Ally Code: 357-613-281
    swgoh.gg: https://swgoh.gg/u/lordterminus/collection/
  • #fakenews?
    https://swgoh.gg/u/speedokillz/

December 2016 Arena Shard
  • It surprises me how quickly people jump to conclusions anymore. There's a whole post going around that Snoke is coming now just because KRU and FOSFTFP are now farmable. I feel like we've thrown logic out the window and are just using any excuse to say that everything is a hint towards something we wish was going to happen (but clearly isnt).

Using some of my brain cells (which a lot of others seem to be lacking) shouldn't you need resistance for Snoke. Seeing as he is to resistance as Palpatine is to rebels.....
  • snarzenal
    316 posts Member
    edited January 2018
    Mol_Zakore wrote: »
    Goodgil wrote: »

Luke and rey for their respective trilogies, hopefully a heroes fall for anakin eventually but we also followed the story of Revan in the games. He isn't a really good supporting character he's the main character in...

...the game from another game company.

CG would need license to make Revan. Will that company release the license? How much will it cost CG?
    I don’t want to burst any bubbles here but, I think it’s pretty doubtful to ever get Revan at all. That said, surprises are usually good and one never knows. Until then, if I want to play Revan, I’ll play Kotor.
  • Idk I think that we always get legendary events with the need of some faction (with the exclusion of yoda) that needs the opposite faction to access it. Thrawn -> Phoenix, Emperor -> rebels etc. The only times that weve needed specific characters is Heroe's journey. With the Chimera it was thrawn so Phoenix was needed again but since theres only 2 Phoenix ships they added all rebels which I believe is because Thrawn/Phoenix Empire/Rebels so unless they change how legendary events work there shouldnt be any need to farm specific characters (only factions) unless its a hero's(or maybe villans in the future) journey which I dont see another one of those coming out anytime soon.
  • snarzenal wrote: »
    Mol_Zakore wrote: »
    Goodgil wrote: »

Luke and rey for their respective trilogies, hopefully a heroes fall for anakin eventually but we also followed the story of Revan in the games. He isn't a really good supporting character he's the main character in...

...the game from another game company.

CG would need license to make Revan. Will that company release the license? How much will it cost CG?
    I don’t want to burst any bubbles here but, I think it’s pretty doubtful to ever get Revan at all. That said, surprises are usually good and one never knows. Until then, if I want to play Revan, I’ll play Kotor.

They're both owned by EA lmao, there's plenty of reasons Revan isn't coming yet, that is not one of them.
  • Maybe we should have a speculation tab for the forums or conspiracy theories.

The Tin Foil Hat Forum.
    iBteWlt.gif
    @Kyno - we need this STAT!
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • Sobey’s doesn’t sell President’s Choice products and they’re both owned by the same company.

I could be wrong but, I think it’s more complicated than it is easy.
  • snarzenal wrote: »
    Sobey’s doesn’t sell President’s Choice products and they’re both owned by the same company.

I could be wrong but, I think it’s more complicated than it is easy.

Not when it comes to licensing. Lucasfilm owned part of everything that Bioware did when it comes to Star wars so they don't have copyright over it and now Disney own Lucasfilm and Star Wars + EA, EA owns Bioware and Capital Games therefor they have the licensing needed to do it but as it's been said before they will probably only put out Revan under the right circumstances.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Maybe we should have a speculation tab for the forums or conspiracy theories.

The Tin Foil Hat Forum.
    iBteWlt.gif
    @Kyno - we need this STAT!

My last run foil hat comment saw some bad responses....

Overall speculation is fun and interesting, that is always one of our favorite threads that pop up after the what's ahead goes out.

I'm not sure what reliable speculations is, by definition isn't that almost an oxymoron. Much like an educated guess.
  • I think this type of over-the-top speculation is because now we're all conditioned to assume that the release model for any desired character is going to really suck (read: be exorbitantly expensive), so speculation along reasonable lines feels naive.

Funny thing is, one of the products of this sort of speculation is CG/EA make money because sometimes people jump the gun and spend money on the speculated requirements. I know I spent some crystals farming Sith Trooper and Sith Assassin I now wish I could have back...lol. :(

EA wins again...
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    They have come up with different ways of requiring specific characters, like TB missions. I think it’s worth assuming any character might eventually be required for something.

But yes, most of the crazy speculation that gets thrown around (and then turned into rumors) ignores how the game works and makes no sense.