Thinking of changing my CLS team

Dralkyr
457 posts Member
edited January 2018
Collection
Current squad
Considered squad

So yeah, thinking of moving from 3Zls, Wiggs, Chaze to 3Zls, Wiggs, STh, Leia. I've been gathering the gear to move STh and Leia up a gear level. Thoughts? I've also liked the idea of 3Zls, Wiggs, Leia, R2, but that leaves me without a tank. My biggest concern in either proposed team is that I have no cleanser/healer.
Post edited by Dralkyr on

Replies

• TVF
    36591 posts Member
    "3Zls" is the worst CLS shorthand I've seen. Couldn't even figure out what it was for a bit.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • TVF wrote: »
    "3Zls" is the worst CLS shorthand I've seen. Couldn't even figure out what it was for a bit.

It was less keystrokes than writing zzzCls or any of the others I've seen. Thanks for the constructive reply.
  • Just put CLS man, who cares if it’s got 0 or 3 Zetas?
  • Huatimus wrote: »
    Just put CLS man, who cares if it’s got 0 or 3 Zetas?

I've seen zzCls used before. Besides, obviously the forum does care if characters have zeta, else we wouldn't use "Zader," "Zeers/ZVeers," etc.
    Again, thanks for the constructive reply. Clicking on the provided links would have made it really obvious what I was talking about.
  • Haha I agree 3Zls is not a good abbreviation. But to actually respond to the poster... I ran wiggs under cls, han solo, and r2 for a bit, and caused loads of damage, but could only beat certain teams. I cut through 100k zeta phoenix squads, and unmasked first order squads like butter, and chaze isn't a big deal most of the time. But that only accounts for a few teams on my shard. I swapped out wiggs for captain han and old ben after the jtr/cls explosion, and can hold my own against them, but now lack the offense for phoenox and first order. The idea is to get old ben killed, then revive him, in addition to chs' passive heal and daze, and old ben's ability block.

I also ran leia before i got cls, so I can say she can be fantastic, until she doesn't triple hit at the most needed time. Until you have han solo, she'll do as your second damage dealer next to cls.

It really depends on your shard. Who do you need to beat more than anyone else?
  • dad2my3
    1561 posts Member
    I got my Leia up to g12 and used her in the arena very briefly. The problem is that she’s very unpredictable. She usually shoots only once. Don’t expect a double or triple shot every time, and because of that, she’s a liability.

I’d say that you really need a tank in there to protect your damage dealers. R2 is a great partner for Luke, so hold on to him.
  • dad2my3
    1561 posts Member
    Maybe you could keep working on Old Ben—his rework made him more useful.
  • Reason I was thinking of dropping Chaze is simply because CLS lead gives everyone high enough counter chance that that part of the duo is virtually negated. So trying to think who to swap them out for. Old Ben could work well, that's true. So you'd think building CLS, Wiggs, Old Ben/STh, R2?
  • CLS, yes
    R2, yes
    Tank, go with chaze or old ben. St han isnt as good.
    Leia, good substitute for raid han damage but raid han is better. No zeta required.
    If you go with old ben, you could add DN as your 5th until you get thrawn.

No tank is fun in offense but not viable on defense.
  • Mobewan wrote: »
    CLS, yes
    R2, yes
    Leia, good substitute for raid han damage but raid han is better. No zeta required.

Unfortunately, I don't yet have Raid Han. Thrawn I just got, but only at 5 stars this time around. Is Thrawn viable enough at 5* to go for it, or use my 7* DN? Why is DN/Thrawn (both DS characters) a good fit in a CLS lead team?
  • TVF
    36591 posts Member
    I don't use either but I assume it's because they're both strong enough (DN's cooldown reduction and annihilate, Thrawn's fracture and TM swap) that they work in pretty much any team.

I would think a 5* Thrawn would be viable, depending on your shard.
  • TVF
    36591 posts Member
    Mobewan wrote: »
    CLS, yes
    R2, yes

R2 acts like a semi-tank on defense though, I would think.
  • Cls R2 Han GK Thrawn.
  • Mobewan wrote: »
    CLS, yes
    R2, yes

This.^

I am currently using a “Titans” team (CLS, HS, R2, GAT, GK) but with zSTH in place of GK (still 30+ shards away from unlock).
    I have taken this team as high as 24, but I drop on defense and find I have to play smart on offense vs certain teams. I can’t touch teams with max GK.
    Currently working to get OB geared up (even at g9 I think he may be slightly better than STH.
  • Build my team. You won't regret it

https://swgoh.gg/u/wearesyke/
  • @TVF
    A semi tank (r2) is nowhere near as good as a real tank + a semi tank.

@MidasWelby
    Old Ben is better than a higher geared st han.
    Try him out.
  • Wearesyke wrote: »
    Build my team. You won't regret it

https://swgoh.gg/u/wearesyke/

I'm sure you're right... but I do not have Raid Han unlocked nor Thrawn at 7*.
  • I think ur best options are

CLS, R2, chirrut, Baze, Ezra (or trawn, and han when u get him)

Or CLS, R2, Old ben and biggs/wedge (or ezra and trawn, better than wiggs)

Just try both an decide for one xD

CLS and R2 are mandatory, u need a tank so either Chirrut/baze (u cant use one without the other, so it leaves u only one more spot) or OB (he is perfect at G9 doc need more gear on himwhile u gear up ur other toons really high HP/prot, so hard to kill after mind tricks, and a great ofense boost if OB dies anyway...).

So if u want to keep wiggs while leveling trawn and han (use ezra while u get han xD) run OB, if u want to keep chaze just put ezra (can open the match with a triple shot like wiggs and also dispel) while leveling trawn xD

Just start gearing trawn anyway, even at 5* hes a monster, this fracture is unvaluable! And also can cleanse, recover a lot of protection and hits soooo hard xD
  • Without raid Han, I would go for cls/r2/thrawn/Chaze or cls/r2/thrawn/leia/old ben.

R2 definitely needs to be on your priority list, especially his number crunch zeta. He is definitely one of the key parts of any top 10 squad, be it cls or JTR lead. He also has good synergy with Leia and old Ben. He allows Leia to get her full set of buffs on her first turn from her stealth special, and gives old Ben a pseudo-taunt, which let's him use his mind trick before his taunt. His combat analysis zeta allows debuffs cleansing outside of turns from counter attacks, which can help immensely Vs debuff heavy squads.

Imo, Old Ben at g9 has much more utility than g11 sthan. The early ability block, offense down, and TMR can give you a much needed early advantage. Even at lower gear levels, his death will give everyone else buffs and a heal to give your squad a 2nd wind. His taunt zeta also means that fracture or a dispel will not immediately leave everyone else vulnerable, and gives r2 time to get smoke screen back up again as a pseudo-taunt. One thing to keep in mind about old Ben, unlike GK or baze, is that he needs mods with good speed secondaries and potency. If you don't have enough speed to go around, Baze is safer with slow mods, since he gets TM from enemy buffs as well as auto-taunt from the start and any deaths. Sthan will always be very squishy, even at g11 or g12. GK and Ben can easily get 30k+ health and 70k+ protection at g11 or g12.

Thrawn is perfectly viable at 5*. I used him there after his first event for months (using cls/r2/raid han/thrawn/gk), and had no issue making top 10. GK is also viable at 5*, and doesn't need a zeta at all. Old Ben with zeta is arguably better than GK, since thrawn's fracture and JTR's dispel/daze won't immediately remove his taunt.

Once you have raid Han unlocked and geared, go for either:
    Cls/r2/zolo/chaze
    Cls/r2/zolo/thrawn/old ben

If your shard is heavy with JTR or NS squads, Chaze is probably a better option, since the tenacity up will help protect against plague and stuns from r2.
  • Another idea I just thought of... CLS, Wiggs, R2, K2SO
  • @Dralkyr
    Thrawn would definitely work at 5*. Just gear him up a bit to build up his protection.
    DN could work there as well, but once your thrawn is geared up, thrawn should be better.

Even though those characters are DS, they still work very well behind CLS.
  • With you roster I would run CLS (l), Chaze, Old Ben and R2. Once you get Old Ben up a gear level or two anyway.
  • Chirrut and Baze are incredible with rebel teams, especially under a CLS lead. If you think CLS’ boost for counter chance negates Chaze just for that, you don’t know how Chaze works. Their specialty isn’t the fact that they counter a ton, as good as countering is.

Baze inflicts debuffs and is an amazing tank. He gives extra health to chirrut, who on the other hand, gives buffs and cleanses your team of debuffs. They both have attacks that calls the other to assist. Why would you remove them for Stormtrooper Han and Leia, who don’t have any of that? Honestly the only reason why I see people use Stormtrooper Han and Leia is because they don’t have Chaze, so you doing the opposite makes no sense. You’d be trading one of the best rebel tanks in the game away for a mediocre one, and trading a fantastic cleanser for a squishy Leia, who in any case, works better with Old Ben.

Also stating the fact that you know your alternatives with either leave you without a tank or cleanser only points to be fact you don’t know what Chaze is used for (hint: those two characters happen to be two characters that can either be a tank or cleanse).

Other people have been questioning you probably because you have a decent team but your trying to create other teams and complain about not having some of the things your current team already have. It’s like dumping your pots and pans, then complaining you have nothing to cook with.
  • Chirrut and Baze are incredible with rebel teams, especially under a CLS lead. If you think CLS’ boost for counter chance negates Chaze just for that, you don’t know how Chaze works. Their specialty isn’t the fact that they counter a ton, as good as countering is.

Baze inflicts debuffs and is an amazing tank. He gives extra health to chirrut, who on the other hand, gives buffs and cleanses your team of debuffs. They both have attacks that calls the other to assist. Why would you remove them for Stormtrooper Han and Leia, who don’t have any of that? Honestly the only reason why I see people use Stormtrooper Han and Leia is because they don’t have Chaze, so you doing the opposite makes no sense. You’d be trading one of the best rebel tanks in the game away for a mediocre one, and trading a fantastic cleanser for a squishy Leia, who in any case, works better with Old Ben.

Also stating the fact that you know your alternatives with either leave you without a tank or cleanser only points to be fact you don’t know what Chaze is used for (hint: those two characters happen to be two characters that can either be a tank or cleanse).

Other people have been questioning you probably because you have a decent team but your trying to create other teams and complain about not having some of the things your current team already have. It’s like dumping your pots and pans, then complaining you have nothing to cook with.

I just feel like my CLS/Wiggs/Chaze is hitting its end point, but I've put so much work into them that I don't want to ditch the team cold turkey yet.
  • If you feel it’s reached it’s end point, it’s because of wedge and Biggs. They are good for newer and somewhat experienced players but for the much more advanced they are only useful as ships, and even then most of the time just Biggs. His ship is one of the best tanks in the game.

Replace wedge and Biggs.
    Dralkyr wrote: »
    Chirrut and Baze are incredible with rebel teams, especially under a CLS lead. If you think CLS’ boost for counter chance negates Chaze just for that, you don’t know how Chaze works. Their specialty isn’t the fact that they counter a ton, as good as countering is.

I just feel like my CLS/Wiggs/Chaze is hitting its end point, but I've put so much work into them that I don't want to ditch the team cold turkey yet.

• Wiggs are outdated. The most classical rebel team nowadays is CLS, Chaze, Raid Han and R2. Don't force Leia, stHan or Wiggs in, they just make people in the arena see your team and think "yes, we swap spots". If you have to make changes, just kick in GK (or wait until you unlock/star/gear him) and one between Thrawn and Zarriss. 4/5 of the teams you face in the top 100 are like this.
  • Cls, han, r2, Leia, and old Ben is still arena viable. Maybe not top 50, but still good.
    Hit the gym.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    I run zCLS g12, R2 g8, Leia, OB and Thrawn at g9. I used Chirrut before Thrawn and he is pretty good too. My fastest guy is only 220. I am on a 2016 shard and hold around 120 against all g11 g12 teams around me. My Old Ben does not have his taunt zeta.

Someone said this in a thread and I am glad I followed it:

"Old Ben is a monster. Dont hesistate. Do it."