Is Stormtrooper viable for Empire Teams in arena?

as the title says..

Seems to be a mixed view as to the viability of ST. Watched a vid by Ahnald that mentioned ST was one of the worst tanks in the game even when geared and suggested RG was better.

The main empire team that seem to be in arena is Thrawn(l)/DK/DT/ShT/ST..I also recall reading a post suggesting that ShT+ST were the strongest tank combo in the game and best synergy.

So what makes ST viable in an all trooper team or top Empire team? Doesn’t make sense and don’t want to invest mats into ST if he is a crappy tank..

Thank you

Replies

• ST is very good. He got reworked. The video must be before that.
  • Alone... not worth it. With shore & thrawn, he ensures taunt never drops & let's krennic/dt do their thing.

Rg's auto taunt @ 50% health is useless in that setup... krennic is just too flimsy.
  • Here’s the vid, yes its from 2016.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=781s&v=s_w7Y9g2Pak

But it seems after rework he still is not so great..

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/116883/how-stormtroopers-should-of-been-reworked

Anyone running him with ShT want to chip in on your experience with ST as a tank in your empire squad?

• I run ST/ShT with thrawn lead dt/dk, with defense secondarys and crit immunity up he is a really sturdy tank, you can aoe away with ease against cls teams without dropping all that much protection. Worth it if you run empire!
  • BulYwif
    1977 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Storm is maybe the hardest tank when put in an Empire team. In a full Empire squad, he has +230% defense, and even with less HP than ShT, he's really hard to kill. The troopers exchange a part of their unique and this is why it's good to run him with DT and ShT for example. In that team, every trooper has +30% defense, +10% Health Steal, +10% Max Health. Combined to the +15% protection of Thrawn lead.
    The weakiest point of Storm is his high CD, so when he gets debuffed by Rey for example, he needs to wait 4 turns before taunting again. But when he's taunting and gets damages, all enemies lose 10%TM. Really fun when all rebels counter in a CLS team.
    I also use him in a trooper team in HAAT P2. Veers, Snow, Storm, DT and Magma.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    He’s very niche, but in the right team he can be very effective
  • Anakin_Skywalker
    1801 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Stormtrooper's expose comes in clutch. His defense bonus combined with crit immunity from shoretrooper, makes one of the thickest wall for the empire. you should try go up against those teams if there is any in your shard

Unless opponent has a Thrawn it's very tough to get past the double taunt. But you know everyone has Thrawn and with CLS JTR it's not invincible.
    But I'd say shore+storm is the best tank combo at least for empire teams
  • I am also using him in arena team and he is great with Shore but no need to zeta him.

However against JTR team with two tank the typical empire Thrawn (l), DT, ST, Shore and krennic is very weak unless you unlock Imperial Probe droid !
    BulYwif wrote: »

You should used them in HAAT P4, they are really better in this phase

• Iolaus wrote: »
    I am also using him in arena team and he is great with Shore but no need to zeta him.

However against JTR team with two tank the typical empire Thrawn (l), DT, ST, Shore and krennic is very weak unless you unlock Imperial Probe droid !
    BulYwif wrote: »

You should used them in HAAT P4, they are really better in this phase

Yes, I haven't tested yet in P4. I 'll give it a try next time.
  • You will see it is very good, you regain more protection than in phase 2 (thanks to the 3 turrets and the 2 B2), i can do more than 2 millions damages on this phase.
    Morever i read that replacing magma by colonel Starck you can finish phase 4 by yourself.
  • Stormtrooper, in a full empire team, is an incredible tank. See here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=559_D_KJkHE