Too much rng in ships

2Next

Replies

• Please don't say hardware. If hardware is mods for ships then it's another RNG fest for who gets the best speed mods.
  • Imagine if hardware was one slot and you could only boost one stat. For tie fighter would you choose to boost speed so yours went first or potency for a more reliable target lock
  • Huatimus wrote: »
    Please don't say hardware. If hardware is mods for ships then it's another RNG fest for who gets the best speed mods.

Yea agree.. but it's the only thing that can differentiate ships. Hardware is cr4p, another things with RNG is very very bad :frowning:
  • Darthpedro wrote: »
    Imagine if hardware was one slot and you could only boost one stat. For tie fighter would you choose to boost speed so yours went first or potency for a more reliable target lock

The answer is always Speed.
  • How about 30 speed vs a guaranteed target lock
  • Darthpedro wrote: »
    How about 30 speed vs a guaranteed target lock

If you know the Tenacity formula, you'd know that there's always a Base 15% Resist Chance even if you had a gazillion Potency. So the probable answer is still 30 speed.
  • Darthpedro
    1175 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    But what if the hardware ability was to make all debuffs unresistable like the target lock on vaders basic as in not just a potency boost
  • If I were them, I'd just take the lazy way out and port the entire mod system over, rename it hardware and call it a day. I'd then continue to roll around in Star Wars Galaxy of Cash.
  • swgohfan29 wrote: »
    How would you change this so skill is involved?
    That is a difficult question. Maybe less "chance to do ......" and more direct dependencies between the ships? I dont know, but than again, that is not really my job ;)
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    I used to like ships, and now I hate it cause of RNG. Everyone has the same fleet with, maybe 1 or 2 ship differences, and everyone has gear 12 pilots with zetas and some gear 12 pieces. I just lost to someone without killing a single ship. Go again and finished in under a minute without losing a single ship, and my Biggs had full health and protection.

Ships are not fun when it it is just watching a roulette wheel.
  • I couldn't agree more Mzee
  • Too much RNG in ships? How does that even make sense? This whole game is RNG based. Regular arena is no different. Do ships have a separate RNG that is designed to give ships “too much”?
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Mzee wrote: »
    I used to like ships, and now I hate it cause of RNG. Everyone has the same fleet with, maybe 1 or 2 ship differences, and everyone has gear 12 pilots with zetas and some gear 12 pieces. I just lost to someone without killing a single ship. Go again and finished in under a minute without losing a single ship, and my Biggs had full health and protection.

Ships are not fun when it it is just watching a roulette wheel.

Everyone might be using the same ships but they would still be able to win with any other 5 ships...
  • hilikus
    109 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Mr_Sausage wrote: »
    Too much RNG in ships? How does that even make sense? This whole game is RNG based. Regular arena is no different. Do ships have a separate RNG that is designed to give ships “too much”?

Sigh. Yes, rng plays a role in every part of the game. In ships it plays a more dominant role though than in the other arena. And it has three main reasons imho:
    - ships are more fragile, they survive less hits.
    - Reaper punishes the death of a ship so hard.
    - the stuff that is rng based (applying TL and your TFP dodging) is so important, it is match making important.
    Dk_rek wrote: »
    Everyone might be using the same ships but they would still be able to win with any other 5 ships...
    as long as you don’t show proof, I call **** on that.

• hilikus wrote: »
    - Reaper punishes the death of a ship so hard.

Absolutely. All of my matches come down to who’s Tie Reaper dies first.
  • ArthurDent
    20 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Having finally farmed the standard set of ships and invested tons of gear into pilots for a share in the far-too-small pool of crystals, I have to agree that there just aren't enough ships, enough ways to acquire ships, and things to do with ships. Of course RNG also matters in squad arena, but there's at least a few teams that do pretty well there and people simply enjoy different characters and factions, so it's rare to be forced into a mirror match. You can choose to fight a squad that your team is likely to do well against because of who your team is, so the RNG isn't as likely to be the entire decision factor. And I fully disagree with the statement that any fleet can win on offense.

It really pains me to say this because I'm not looking forward to so many more long farms (and other people finding the new killer combos before I do), but the only way to fix the frustrating random outcomes of mirror matches is to add enough decent ships to build multiple competitive squads, and enough viable capital ships to lead them.

And there's the fact that so many teams have use outside Squad arena; we have events specific to Sith, Rebel, Resistance, First Order, Ewok, etc. Much more fun to be had. In ships, the only thing to do is Arena, and you have to do it because it's the only way to get the currency that gives you more ships so you can place higher so you can earn crystals so you can boost the characters you actually care about.

All that said, I actually do enjoy ships, including the reinforcements concept. I haven't been successful long enough to be bored of it, but I understand where you all are coming from. I also wouldn't mind if some of the existing ships were toned down a bit so the new ones don't have to be ridiculously OP to overtake them, but that's a whole other conversation.
  • TVF
    36518 posts Member
    Well I guess the good news is you don't farm an entire squad up to G12 only to find they're unusable because the meta shifted.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • hilikus
    109 posts Member
    So I am guessing you’re being sarcastic? But just to make sure: if every battle boils down to rng, what’s the point in playing manually or playing at all? It’s just plain boring and annoying, if the rng plays too big a part.