Do you plan to put resources into Royal Guard?

Prev1
Qeltar
4326 posts Member
Most (all?) of us have him, but except for whales, at lower star levels and also likely lower character and gear levels as well. Mine is currently 3, 20/30 to 4, and level 43. I can get him to 4* easily enough, but then I'm looking at 2 MM credits to level him up, and then gear him. And then he's still only 4* (5* would take another month).
Just afraid that by the time I get him usable they will go "gee, maybe that's too powerful after all" and nerf him.
What do you plan to do?
Quit 7/14/16. Best of luck to all of you.

Replies

• Reyia
    1171 posts Member
    Options
    Take the dust out of my RG, gear him up, and farm the hard nodes to star up.
  • Options
    I don't need tanks in my team.. so I don't plan farming him.. only if I have spare energy.. or need a item where he's farmable..
    Follow on twitter, Subscribe to my channel , 10$ free giveaway here
  • Options
    I actually got him to 6* gear VII and lvl 60 today just to see if he is worth it because he Looks Pretty good on paper but Need to do some testing
  • Options
    I never thought about him as my tank even after They upgraded him, but I just saw a pic in another thread with RG and yoda in a team. Just got me thinking, if yoda isn't killed in one shot, and he has a bit more hp than some others, so if he survives one shot, having RG with him could then mean even AI yoda would end up buffing his whole team. And if you get even more lucky with qgj calling him to assist then he has foresight right from the start but that's asking a bit too much. Although can he really be one-shotted all the time? If not then it might be an interesting plan. I've still yet to unlock yoda though so Im not sure if he can survive a first shot
  • Options
    I actually have yoda 6* gear 9 and he almost never get's one-shotted except he GS gets a good assist but in 90% of the battles that's not that case and RG got a looot of health currently the most in the game so he has good survivability an the defense up come's also in handy and he can also stun but need to test that out
  • Options
    No
  • Options
    The new RG makes the tank INT challenge SOOO MUCH easier now. Mace Windu is stunned most of the time he can't use his Shatterpoint attack. I have him Level 40 and plan to keep him levelled for the tank challenges and geared as much as possible though not necessarily star him up (unless I get lucky Bronzium pulls). I can see him being very valuable in PVP but not interested in using him there despite the tweaks. Will be spread too thin.
  • Options
    I'm thinking about it... My RG is only two stars, but I think he would be viable at 4. Credit cost though.... 2 million credits when I haven't even leveled my Rey or Yoda
  • Znonz
    4 posts Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Im thinking RG shines best on a high hp squad so you can utilize his basic (85% stun, 50% slow) and turn meter gain when other allies are attacked.

Thoughts on Phasma (L) kylo rg fives/fost daka
  • Options
    Nope. Going for hard node only toons is a waste of time and resources with the way they make unannounced stealth nerfs. Besides while he's pretty good at tanking he is just another good toon and he's no more going to make someone's team unbeatable then any of the other top flight toons.

Much better to use hard nodes to supplement cantina farmable toons (ie. JC, Bariss, Dooku, etc.).
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Options
    I'm having plenty of fun with my maxed out RG. He makes the more squishy toons survive MUCH better. Looking to rebalance my Arena team a little because of this. Not sure what to go for yet. Fives may be redundant now I'm afraid :(
  • Options
    Nonemo wrote: »
    I'm having plenty of fun with my maxed out RG. He makes the more squishy toons survive MUCH better. Looking to rebalance my Arena team a little because of this. Not sure what to go for yet. Fives may be redundant now I'm afraid :(

What lineup you run in arena ? I would love to know how he performs in arena fully maxed because I consider replacing Poe for RG

My lineup : QGJ (lead), yoda, Rey, Leia, Poe (RG if good)

• Options
    I have at 2* and will start the grind with him I think
  • Options
    SlyGambit wrote: »
    Nope. Going for hard node only toons is a waste of time and resources with the way they make unannounced stealth nerfs. Besides while he's pretty good at tanking he is just another good toon and he's no more going to make someone's team unbeatable then any of the other top flight toons.

Much better to use hard nodes to supplement cantina farmable toons (ie. JC, Bariss, Dooku, etc.).

Yeah I'm only doing Dooku (until the Stage 6 Cantina opens up) and Ewok Elder. Hard stop. All other spare energy and refreshes goes to gear farming.
  • Options
    I will farm him in a few months. There are too many hard node toons to be farmed right now and I have to be selective. My FOTP is still 1* and I am not farming him yet. But, GW has no more chars I care for so I wish they would move somebody in there already!
    ☮ Consular ☮ Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view. -Ben Kenobi
  • Options
    Ello_Asty wrote: »
    I will farm him in a few months. There are too many hard node toons to be farmed right now and I have to be selective. My FOTP is still 1* and I am not farming him yet. But, GW has no more chars I care for so I wish they would move somebody in there already!
    I'm using my GW tokens now for extra shards for whenever Vader turns up in the shard shop. Managed to get 6 extra Vader shards so far.

• Options
    I have far too many toons to level up so RG is way down the list. Plus he's rather boring.
  • Nonemo
    1656 posts Member
    Options
    Syphedias wrote: »

What lineup you run in arena ? I would love to know how he performs in arena fully maxed because I consider replacing Poe for RG

Right now,
    QGJ lead
    Old Ben
    Royal Guard
    Dooku
    Fives
    (All fully maxed)
    I got attacked a lot today, probably because I have a new toon in my setup, so I slipped down to rank 36. I'm usually hovering between top 20-top 10.
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info, good to have first-hand experience.
    I think I am going to farm his shards slowly and see how things go. I would love to level him up but I literally have all of these guys either sitting at low levels or still unactivated: FOTP, IG-86, Poggle, Vader, RP, IG-88 and Rey. Many of them with enough shards to be 5* or 6*.
    Just not enough credits. So thus the tough decision on this guy.
  • Options
    My RG is 3* (10/30) currently. Not sure what to do. Does his taunt actually interrupt assist attacks?
  • Options
    Qeltar wrote: »
    Most (all?) of us have him, but except for whales, at lower star levels and also likely lower character and gear levels as well. Mine is currently 3, 20/30 to 4, and level 43. I can get him to 4* easily enough, but then I'm looking at 2 MM credits to level him up, and then gear him. And then he's still only 4* (5* would take another month).
    Just afraid that by the time I get him usable they will go "gee, maybe that's too powerful after all" and nerf him.
    What do you plan to do?

Never chase the meta. QGJ dispels taunt so it won't be problem when you are in offense!!
  • Options
    He taunts more than once
  • Options
    Syphedias wrote: »

Right now,
    QGJ lead
    Old Ben
    Royal Guard
    Dooku
    Fives
    (All fully maxed)
    I got attacked a lot today, probably because I have a new toon in my setup, so I slipped down to rank 36. I'm usually hovering between top 20-top 10.

Nice thanks for the info, I try'd him out in my maxed squad (he is 6*, so the lowest) and I finished #1 lol
  • Options
    xJazzx wrote: »
    What do you plan to do?

Never chase the meta. QGJ dispels taunt so it won't be problem when you are in offense!!
    I just asked this on the other thread, but can he not taunt more than once? If it is removed and someone goes under 50% again
  • Options
    Already started when I found out about the update last week. I really want a defensive team....some day I hope defense is viable. I've been farming Fives, FO Storm Trooper and now Royal Guard. I love tanks and I hope some day they're the meta.
  • Phipps
    1107 posts Member
    Options
    Leave him for the whales
  • Phipps
    1107 posts Member
    Options
    Leave him for the whales
  • Qeltar
    4326 posts Member
    Options
    I prefer defensive teams too (which might make one wonder why I am even playing this game!) I also tried for some time to put together a stun-based team and this guy is now potentially a great stunner too. Thus my interest in him.
    Wonder how a Phasma, Daka, Dooku, RG, Lumi team would work. If nobody ever wanted to try it to see, that would be fine too. ;)
  • Triqui
    2790 posts Member
    Options
    Not yet.
    It doesnt fit any if the 3-4 themes I'm planning. And I think it is overblown. He is going to be useful, not OP. He will be like Sid or Lumi, not like Poe
  • Options
    DV_27 wrote: »
    xJazzx wrote: »
    What do you plan to do?

I just asked this on the other thread, but can he not taunt more than once? If it is removed and someone goes under 50% again

Actually yes, he taunts every time when someone goes under 50% that's the good thing about him, taunt with no cooldown and and about QGJ : he kills every taunt soooo :)