KOTOR

Prev1
Is the app on the phone a good game? I have never played any of the series and don't know f it is a good one to start with? I heard good things but I won't get it till I know some more about it.... what's it about and what do you do?

Replies

• Options
    It's fantastic, but the swoop bike controls are a little rough, 9/10 would recommend. The one on the phone is the full game so no worries about missing out.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    I would recommend playing it on a computer. If you have a mac, its the same price on the app store
  • Options
    DatBoi wrote: »
    I would recommend playing it on a computer. If you have a mac, its the same price on the app store

Unfortunately I don't have one but I'm buying a HP laptop on Friday so is that viable?
  • Options
    Cooncoon wrote: »

Unfortunately I don't have one but I'm buying a HP laptop on Friday so is that viable?

Xbox? They have it for $10
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options

Probably. Idk how much it costs on steam though
  • Options
    I played it on a 10" tablet and it was a better experience than the PC - the touch controls were a lot better, IMO. The PC's hold-mouse-button-to-move convention quickly cramped my hand, so if you have a game controller that might be a better option. But a phone might be pushing it in terms of ease of use, with the small UI size.
    However, sometimes the conversation text would go corrupt on the tablet for a few words, making the game unintentionally more challenging (esp. during the puzzles).
    The original KOTOR is definitely much, much better than the sequel, which felt a bit hollow.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options
    I heard the mobile/app version of KOTOR was glitch, so I didn't bother getting it, even though I have it on the original xbox (which is compatible with Xbox 360 and XBOne).

Having said that, I just downloaded it for XBOne to play again, its still a brilliant game - especially if you are playing it for the first time - the story is really, really good!

I felt the same about KOTOR 2 - they improved so much over the original KOTOR (like actual jedi robes rather than just tunics and also the different weapon sets was handy), but story wise, it just seemed quite hollow. Overall the ending was so unsettling, I couldn't wait for the 3rd installment.

Sadly the 3rd game was an online MMO - which ruined the game. I mean, I cannot complete the game on my own. I have to meet up with other people in order to complete certain missions. Most people on line don't want to help you. And that's another thing - too many people all running around spoiling the immersive feeling of the game. I gave up on the 3rd game, which ruined KOTOR 2 even more because I didn't really find the closure I needed.

Having said all that - KOTOR (the first game) is awesome and is a stand alone story - you don't need to play the others.

If you haven't played it and you like star wars, you are missing out.
  • Options

Xbox? They have it for $10

Do they have for PS4?
  • Options
    I think some of the tooltips might get a little small unless your on a decent size tablet
  • Options
    Just played it on Iphone.. Great game I must say.
  • Options
    Its 10$ in the google play store. I havent had any glitchy issues that werent in the original game itself. Totally paid for itself in my opinion
  • Options
    Is that where people get Revan from? What's the story line?
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options

Revan is a character who’s actions preceding the beginning of the game basically cause the plot. You learn more about him over the course of the story.
  • Options
    Jedi_Bane wrote: »
    It's fantastic, but the swoop bike controls are a little rough, 9/10 would recommend. The one on the phone is the full game so no worries about missing out.

Download EZSwoop and extract the files to an "overide" folder on your device. It makes it so that the races are straight lines and you just change gears. Pretty impossible without it.
  • Options
    kalidor wrote: »
    I played it on a 10" tablet and it was a better experience than the PC - the touch controls were a lot better, IMO. The PC's hold-mouse-button-to-move convention quickly cramped my hand, so if you have a game controller that might be a better option. But a phone might be pushing it in terms of ease of use, with the small UI size.
    However, sometimes the conversation text would go corrupt on the tablet for a few words, making the game unintentionally more challenging (esp. during the puzzles).
    The original KOTOR is definitely much, much better than the sequel, which felt a bit hollow.

I'm sorry, but if you felt like KotOR 2 was hollow, I don't think you played it as much as you should have, or at least did not look deep enough into it. That game was deep as heck and had plenty to provide and learn about. It definitely could have been better, yes (those dang deadlines, it could have been much improved if those deadlines weren't imposed so harshly) but it was in itself a very good game.
  • Options

Revan is a character who’s actions preceding the beginning of the game basically cause the plot. You learn more about him over the course of the story.

• Options

I'm sorry, but if you felt like KotOR 2 was hollow, I don't think you played it as much as you should have, or at least did not look deep enough into it. That game was deep as heck and had plenty to provide and learn about. It definitely could have been better, yes (those dang deadlines, it could have been much improved if those deadlines weren't imposed so harshly) but it was in itself a very good game.

I played it quite a bit, at least 4 runthroughs. While yes, it's a good game (wouldn't have done it 4 times otherwise!), I still felt it just wasn't as nearly good as the original. I can remember the story of KOTOR, but I'd be hard pressed to tell you what the story of KOTOR2 was (and I last played it last year). I'd still recommend it for anyone that loves SW and RPGs.
    But at least there's no Manaan in KOTOR2 ;)
  • Options
    Are you sure you played KOTOR on PC? It has typical WASD controls by default.
    I still felt it just wasn't as nearly good as the original. I can remember the story of KOTOR, but I'd be hard pressed to tell you what the story of KOTOR2 was (and I last played it last year). I'd still recommend it for anyone that loves SW and RPGs.
    I can relate that KOTOR 2 story didn't leave the same imprint in the mind like KOTOR 1 did initially. I've played both games right after their releases on PC. It was like 4 runs of the first game after release, then another 2 before KOTOR2, and then 2 runs of KOTOR 2. After finishing the second game for the first two times I was like "**** just happened?". Since then I've been replaying both games every 2-3 years. With development of restored content mod the second game eventually started to make sense. Last time I played the games around 3 month ago, and now I can't even say which I like more, but I definitely can say that KOTOR2 with the latest version of TSLRCM doesn't leave that impression of unfinished and unpolished game with cutout pieces of story.

• Options

I played it quite a bit, at least 4 runthroughs. While yes, it's a good game (wouldn't have done it 4 times otherwise!), I still felt it just wasn't as nearly good as the original. I can remember the story of KOTOR, but I'd be hard pressed to tell you what the story of KOTOR2 was (and I last played it last year). I'd still recommend it for anyone that loves SW and RPGs.
    But at least there's no Manaan in KOTOR2 ;)

Pretty much my opinion as well. 2 had far better game play and customization, but the original had a much better story.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    I’m a big fan of KOTOR, but the final battle is extremely poorly designed. If you dont have the correct abilities, it’s literally impossible, and the game never tells you hat you need to unlock those abilities. Not to mention it’s the only battle in the game to require specific abilities. I had to use cheat codes to beat it which made me extremely angry because I couldn’t play the game the way it was meant to be played and it **** the enjoyment out of the coda.
  • Options
    Everyone says it'd be better on a computer. As someone who has played on all three platforms (Xbox, PC, and Mobile) let me just say that other than the swoop bike controls which everyone hates, the mobile version is by far the best in my opinion. It just runs so much smoother. Unless you plan on modding it, which requires a PC obviously, the mobile version is probably the best. My phone had trouble with it due to processor issues, but when playing it on a friend's device, it ran smoother than it ever ran on my Xbox or my computer. Just putting this out there. Plus the graphics actually look better in my opinion on mobile.
  • Options
    I can relate that KOTOR 2 story didn't leave the same imprint in the mind like KOTOR 1 did initially. I've played both games right after their releases on PC. It was like 4 runs of the first game after release, then another 2 before KOTOR2, and then 2 runs of KOTOR 2. After finishing the second game for the first two times I was like "**** just happened?". Since then I've been replaying both games every 2-3 years. With development of restored content mod the second game eventually started to make sense. Last time I played the games around 3 month ago, and now I can't even say which I like more, but I definitely can say that KOTOR2 with the latest version of TSLRCM doesn't leave that impression of unfinished and unpolished game with cutout pieces of story.

I'm hoping that they release KOTOR2 on mobile, because it seems the only time I have for gaming is when waiting for kids' activities to finish. Not to mention that they don't seem to work very well on my 4K win10 rig anymore (I've fiddled with the compatibility settings to no avail).
    One thing I do remember is that it's really easy to power-game KOTOR2 - with the later saber crystals giving massive ability boosts, just make a consular that duel wields two lightsabers that he never uses, and continually horror/lightning storm everyone. There are a few fights that can't be won that way, where you need to rely more on your companions, but other than that I remember it being quite easy by the end.
    I’m a big fan of KOTOR, but the final battle is extremely poorly designed. If you dont have the correct abilities, it’s literally impossible, and the game never tells you hat you need to unlock those abilities. Not to mention it’s the only battle in the game to require specific abilities. I had to use cheat codes to beat it which made me extremely angry because I couldn’t play the game the way it was meant to be played and it **** the enjoyment out of the coda.

Yeah, it's insanely difficult if you don't have the force abilities to remove the boss's powerups. Last playthrough I did I forgot about that and only managed it because a) quicksave and b) accidental hording of medpacks (once you can heal, they're next to useless - until the end). I had to kill the boss over and over until the powerups were gone, healing and quicksaving when he went to use them.
  • Options
    I got it free on Kindle. Probably because of the terrible game selection choices.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Options

I'm hoping that they release KOTOR2 on mobile, because it seems the only time I have for gaming is when waiting for kids' activities to finish. Not to mention that they don't seem to work very well on my 4K win10 rig anymore (I've fiddled with the compatibility settings to no avail).
    One thing I do remember is that it's really easy to power-game KOTOR2 - with the later saber crystals giving massive ability boosts, just make a consular that duel wields two lightsabers that he never uses, and continually horror/lightning storm everyone. There are a few fights that can't be won that way, where you need to rely more on your companions, but other than that I remember it being quite easy by the end.

Yeah, it's insanely difficult if you don't have the force abilities to remove the boss's powerups. Last playthrough I did I forgot about that and only managed it because a) quicksave and b) accidental hording of medpacks (once you can heal, they're next to useless - until the end). I had to kill the boss over and over until the powerups were gone, healing and quicksaving when he went to use them.

Don't you just have to kill all the half dead (never to recover) jedi that Malak keeps using to "Heal" himself - he can no longer heal or get any more powerful and he is easy to beat.
  • DatBoi
    3615 posts Member
    Options
    Boo wrote: »

Don't you just have to kill all the half dead (never to recover) jedi that Malak keeps using to "Heal" himself - he can no longer heal or get any more powerful and he is easy to beat.

The only way to destroy them is to use electricity or the anti-droid attacks. If you dont have either of those abilities, it’s pretty much imoossible.
  • Options

The only way to destroy them is to use electricity or the anti-droid attacks. If you dont have either of those abilities, it’s pretty much imoossible.

No, you can also throw your saber, use Drain Life/Death Field, shoot the bodies if you have a blaster (you should have at least one, like cmon)... if you have not one of these abilities, you should reevaluate your play style honestly. Shock, Force Lightning, and Force Storm make the game MUCH easier to play, as do the rest of them.

Don't blame the game for you doing poorly, that's like you farming Greedo, Zam, CUP, JKG, and Geonosian Spy then wondering why you can go far in Arena lmao
  • Options
    KOTOR 1 and 2 are the best SW games imho. The story is great! I’d recommend those to any SW fan. KOTOR 1 was slightly better. Personally I preferred to play on a computer. If you want to fully explore every aspect of the game , you have to play more than once. Cause the decisions you make affect the story.
  • Options

I think Drain Life works too, but that's the dark side path and you lose Light points for it.
  • Options

I think Drain Life works too, but that's the dark side path and you lose Light points for it.

As well as throw saber, and use a blaster of some sort. He should definitely have at least one of these things
  • Options
    Jedi_Bane wrote: »

Bluetooth controller for your phone buddy