Might as well voice the obvious question about Sith Marauder in DS TB.

Prev1
Why are you saying he could potentially be in DS TB phases 5 and 6 when he literally just got released? I don't care how good a toon is don't give us a toon at a lower star rank and then say that we will need him to be a higher rank, when the only way to get him higher is to pay. You are now putting event progress behind a paywall and that is just not ok.

Replies

• Options
    Why are you saying he could potentially be in DS TB phases 5 and 6 when he literally just got released? I don't care how good a toon is don't give us a toon at a lower star rank and then say that we will need him to be a higher rank, when the only way to get him higher is to pay. You are now putting event progress behind a paywall and that is just not ok.

Only the earlier phases are curated, phase 5 and 6 is open season on all characters.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Naraic wrote: »

Only the earlier phases are curated, phase 5 and 6 is open season on all characters.

isn't phase 4 open aswell? i believe it is.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Options
    @Naraic What do you mean by curated? I was meaning if you dont have the right ranking you can put that toon in the platoon is what i'm getting at.

• Options
    +1 but do they care? Nope, because they know we are not just going to delete the game tomorrow when we see that toon in platoons.

They should really consider listening to the players for once, instead of claiming that they listen to the players but going about to do their own stuff.
  • Options
    @Naraic What do you mean by curated? I was meaning if you dont have the right ranking you can put that toon in the platoon is what i'm getting at.

The early phases are curated as in a specific list of characters are relatively easily accessible to make it easy to fill platoons.

The later phases are a random draw from every character in the game available.

Platoons on day 1-3 or 1-4 (I forget how long is curated) are easily accessible for all the later phases are a random draw aimed at the whales to get platoon success.
  • Options
    @Naraic so basically if a guild doesnt want to have to pay for a toon like that then we are just out of luck on completeing then?
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Naraic so basically if a guild doesnt want to have to pay for a toon like that then we are just out of luck on completeing then?

Yes.
  • Options
    @Naraic so basically if a guild doesnt want to have to pay for a toon like that then we are just out of luck on completeing then?

Pretty much. And you will never complete it (platoons) because each new character gets added. It's a hamster wheel for hamsters.

You may end up maxing the territories (3 star) eventually through brute Force, though.
  • Options
    Well I guess that brings my point back to what I was saying, why do the devs think its a good idea to do this, it is never a good idea to put up a paywall.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    Well I guess that brings my point back to what I was saying, why do the devs think its a good idea to do this, it is never a good idea to put up a paywall.

"The intent is to provide players with a sense of pride and accomplishment for unlocking different heroes."

• Options
    @leef I see what you did there.
  • Options
    We will never complete platoons in phases 4-6 of DS TB, so.... who cares?
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Options
    leef I see what you did there.

i'm just curious if the decision to include all new releases directly in platoons hasn't backfired yet. Would more players buy those packs now that they're required for platoons, or less because you don't want to platoon a character you just bought.
    I guess it's making them money, because it sure as sith not increasing player enjoyment ;)
  • Options
    Naraic wrote: »

The later phases are a random draw from every character in the game available.

"Random" as in less needed useless easily accessible characters dont appear while every no farmable p2p characters are required a 100x over
  • Options
    @leef I mean I was considering buying the Marauder 10 dollar pack but seeing that it gets me 5 shards short of being able to rank I kinda dont want it anymore when I already have him at g6 level 60, it would be worth it if it let me rank him since im spending real money.
  • Options
    I mean does it even matter? They'll either put him in 7* platoons today or in a few days. Marquee characters become F2P after 2-3 months, so it doesn't make any difference at all.
  • Options
    I mean does it even matter? They'll either put him in 7* platoons today or in a few days. Marquee characters become F2P after 2-3 months, so it doesn't make any difference at all.

I mean it does matter if that character is needed at a higher ranking but is behind a pay wall then you either dont complete what is needed or you are forced to pay and I unfortunately do not like being forced to pay
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options

I mean it does matter if that character is needed at a higher ranking but is behind a pay wall then you either dont complete what is needed or you are forced to pay and I unfortunately do not like being forced to pay

No one is forced to pay, this decisions has been a hot topic for a bit, but it is what it is. This will allow P2P players to reach max stars on TBs first, but in no way makes max stars unachievable for F2P later. That has always been the advantage of $$, it saves you time.
  • Options
    @Kyno I get that but why put him in at a higher rank in the first place? wouldnt it just be simpler to put him in the 3 star platoons so everyone can use him or just not put him in the TB since it started before his marquee event did.
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Kyno I get that but why put him in at a higher rank in the first place? wouldnt it just be simpler to put him in the 3 star platoons so everyone can use him or just not put him in the TB since it started before his marquee event did.

Phase 1-3 platoons are the same every time. They don't change.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Options
    Kyno I get that but why put him in at a higher rank in the first place? wouldnt it just be simpler to put him in the 3 star platoons so everyone can use him or just not put him in the TB since it started before his marquee event did.

The first 3 platoons never change. This was done to allow players to have goals that will help them get settled into TBs.

The goal with putting new toons into higher end TB was to give an advantage to people who are spending $$.
  • Options
    @DarthRevanhk
    https://youtu.be/YcXMhwF4EtQ
  • Options

Paywalls are a part of this game, and always will be. I don't have a problem with that in general. The object of this game is to make money. That's fine. But this particular paywall I find disgusting, and equivalent to theft. People pay for the toons needed to complete platoons. That's fine. Then several hundred dollars (usually close to $2000 in our platoons) worth of pay toons are added. So the progress people made is taken away, and held hostage for another couple thousand dollars. That's insulting, and to me it's immoral.

It's true nobody has to pay for them, but these events seem to be tuned to be challenging but beatable with platoons filled, and a brutal slaughter if you don't (on the last phases that is). So it's only really enjoyable if you can fill platoons. And that's part of what's enraging. I actually don't care about getting max stars. Eventually new characters and a new level cap will make it easy. At that point it will be just another perfunctory task, (hitting auto, and tapping to deploy) that doesn't give any enjoyment or sense of accomplishment. Right now only a small number of guilds can afford the ransom required to be able to play it when it's actually fun to play.

I really think overall the devs love the game, and have made mostly positive changes. Mod drops at 100%, older gear added to the guild store at fair prices, increased character shards from TB since we get them less often, the promise to reduce the Wicket/Talzin farm from the 2.4 years originally intended, frequent reworks, and so on. They are overall very fair, and making a great product. And I hope they keep making a killing. Periodic panic farms, and paywalling new characters is the name of this game, and I support that.

But pay to play platoons is the one area of the game I think they are totally clueless. Regardless of whatever justification people come up with for it, VERY big spending customers are feeling strong armed, and cheated, and left spitting mad on a regular basis. These are the same whales I watch happily, and freely drop hundreds on things they actually want. I just hope the devs realize that the short term financial benefits of this ransom system of platoons might not be optimal in the long run if it makes some of their best customers feel robbed on a regular basis.
  • Options
    This goes back to the Battlefront 2 loot box controversy. Because of that EA has had to find a new way to generate revenue. Notice that is also the same time paywall characters started showing up in platoons. Every TB beyond that point has made sure to include fresh characters locking out platoons unless people shell out cash.
  • Options
    @JacenRoe +1 Bro, absolutely brilliant post. I agree wholeheartedly
  • scuba
    14049 posts Member
    Options
    leef wrote: »
    leef I see what you did there.

i'm just curious if the decision to include all new releases directly in platoons hasn't backfired yet. Would more players buy those packs now that they're required for platoons, or less because you don't want to platoon a character you just bought.
    I guess it's making them money, because it sure as sith not increasing player enjoyment ;)

I can tell you I don't buy them specifically because of platoons. I want to play with my new toys and though I am not forced to put them in platoons there is that hidden obligation to max platoons if possible.
    I will not max a character to ride a platoon bench.
    I used to by the bundles. Skipped this one cause what is the point of spending money to not be able to improve a character?
  • Options
    As above - the 2 points made that really make me question the system is the moving goalposts and the shutting up newly paid for characters in platoons.

Even F2P'ing toons likes Lobot that were needed and now, with this system, even toons like him have fallen by the wayside. Which is lame, and that was just a time investment, not a $ investment. It's not fresh content that has to be contended with - that'd be cool, it's just an endless grind that will always be moving further ahead with no real justification outside $.

And then not getting to use said toons. IDK, I'm quite sure there's a small% of people who are happy to pay for a toon and proud to launch him into the very next platoon. But based on my own Talzin experience and people posting, I'm going to go out on a limb and say most people spending any $ on a toon probably want to use them. In my one real paid experience with Talzin - NS is also the one real win button in DS TB, like Resistance was for LS TB. In that situation, with even a full team g11/g12 Sith having trouble, I found it to be more then a mild inconvenience to see her showing up in platoons right away.
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • Options
    I don't even want to platoon any of my troopers and all of them were farmed FTP style. I don't like giving up someone for platoons that I would struggle in my CM's without. Platoon requirements, in my opinion, have always been, and will always be, ridiculous.
  • Options

It is if you are running a for-profit business. And last time I checked, EA is not a charity. If you don’t like it, you can always uninstall.